Paris Theatre

4 W. 58th Street,
New York, NY 10019

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on July 12, 2019 at 7:50 pm

Hello-

the Paris has been a gem in NYC’S cultural life for
71 years. it would be obscene for it to close. do we really
need another deluxe condo tower?

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on July 12, 2019 at 1:11 pm

The Deadline article that I linked above on June 19 implies that some movies won’t even be made! or will go direct to streaming, not be shown in movie theaters, due to the closure of the Paris because so much of the revenue of many art films came from the long run at the Paris Theatre! So the closing of the Paris is a disaster for anyone anywhere in the US (or elsewhere) who enjoys seeing art movies in a movie theater! see excerpt below from the article-

…“the prospect of not having Paris anymore would be a serious problem, said Tom Bernard, partner in Sony Pictures Classics, who has heard the rumors and counts the Paris Theater as one of the great remaining showcase theaters in Manhattan.

“When you launch a film in the Paris and it is a hit, that could be one-third of the box office because your film would play there for months, sometimes all through an Academy season,” he said.

He said the slow disappearance of theaters willing to play arthouse movies for long stretches will make it harder to see another Green Book or a similar picture succeed in a slow rollout fueled by audience word of mouth."

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on July 12, 2019 at 1:06 pm

This article is about NYC becoming a Hollywood East with more production of movies & TV shows especially in Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx. Here are a few sentences from the article: “Last year, 332 movies were filmed in New York City, officials said. In 1980, there were 121. But at least four major studios now operate in the city, returning New York to its roots as a production nexus, similar to the 1920s and ’30s before Hollywood took over.”

Now from me- in addition to the showcasing of new movies, the Paris has hosted premieres & previews, including this year, of many movies & some TV shows including “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” So it is very unfortunate that after the movie “Pavarotti” finishes this month or August at the Paris, that the wonderful Paris Theatre will cease forever! https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/10/nyregion/robert-de-niro-studio-queens.html?mc_cid=d9e92fdaa2&mc_eid=91acd9b937

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on July 9, 2019 at 7:09 am

Correct link for Howard’s July 6th post

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on July 9, 2019 at 5:01 am

The Paris Theatre, in my opinion, is the most elegant, historic daily movie theater in Manhattan, but very sadly, indications are that its time will soon end as this article asserts its owner is closing it https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jul/07/paris-theatre-new-york-city-closing-rumors

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on July 7, 2019 at 8:19 pm

Hello-

I remember when Paramount first announced Romeo and Juliet would be opening here exclusively it was on a roadshow engagement. I sent in my order right away and within a week received a postcard thanking me for my order. I still have the postcard. but within a week or so since the pre-sale wasn’t very strong they sent out a letter stating they were switching to a continuous performance engagement. I cashed the refund check and still have the letter.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on July 6, 2019 at 5:57 pm

Photos of 1948 exterior, auditorium, and lower lounge with some description from 1948 herehttps://theatretalks.wordpress.com/2013/09/25/paris-theatre-4-w-58th-st-new-york-ny-10019/

curmudgeon
curmudgeon on June 23, 2019 at 4:22 pm

Surely this can’t be possible. After a lifetime of wanting to visit NYC this was my favourite cinema. Friendly staff, a balcony, beautiful presentation – screen tabs that were used. Please NY'ers, don’t let this gem close. The Ziegfeld closure was sad, but I much preferred this beautiful cinema.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on June 23, 2019 at 11:19 am

Yesterday, I enjoyed the really fun doc “Pavorotti” in its 3rd week here. It will run at least thru the end of the month. Also in the balcony’s 3rd row was a man also upset about the theater’s reported possible closing. He had traveled from 50 miles up the Hudson Valley to see the movie, and said the Paris is his favorite NY movie theater & the best NY movie theater. I’ve long visited from Philadelphia, because the Paris is such a wonderful theater. Yesterday as always, top notch projection & surround sound.

cmbussmann
cmbussmann on June 20, 2019 at 9:07 pm

My heart can’t take any more theater closings.

theatrefan
theatrefan on June 19, 2019 at 10:54 pm

Another story here: https://ny.curbed.com/2019/6/19/18691756/nyc-movies-paris-theater-closing

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on June 19, 2019 at 10:06 pm

I hope the Paris does not close! It is my favorite NYC movie theater & I love seeing movies there. https://deadline.com/2019/06/paris-theater-closing-new-york-film-community-laments-losing-another-prestige-picture-palace-1202634176/maz/

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on December 14, 2018 at 12:20 pm

I enjoyed Mary Queen of Scots yesterday at the Paris. The brochure is not like the roadshow programs but is very nice. Along with a postcard which specifies that the movie is at the Paris, copies are on the table before the orchestra (main floor) seating, for audience members to take if they wish. Most people don’t seem to go to the table, so the Paris had not run out of the nice items! Exiting the lobby, staffers give an invite to the nearby Plaza Hotel for a deluxe dessert, a regal one inspired by Queen Mary, with the purchase of a cocktail or evening fare. This epic movie, wonderfully acted & filmed, is worthy of seeing at the Paris!

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on December 11, 2018 at 12:12 pm

Over this past weekend, looking online, the majority of seats at the Paris were selling out for Mary Queen of Scots, so if a brochure was provided, the theater would need boxes of them! Bigjoe, how many pages is the brochure? is it as large as the Phantom Thread and Hateful Eight programs which are similar to old roadshow books?

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on December 9, 2018 at 11:01 pm

Hello-

it was more convenient for me to see MQOS at the Amgelika Film Center yesterday Sat. 12/8. they were passing out a rather nicely done brochure for the film. did this theater have it as well?

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on August 2, 2018 at 12:56 pm

At other movie theaters, sometimes I must complain as house lights area left on during feature or even at a prestige area Philadelphia movie theater recently the movie didn’t fill the top, bottom or sides of the screen because staff had failed to check the setting before starting the movie! But, never ever do I need to worry about the Paris. Sunday, I enjoyed “Gauguin-Voyage de Tahiti” at the Paris & as always, everything was perfect- staff, air conditioning, bathrooms, concessions, seats, projection, sound, masking, and use of curtain before & after the movie. THIS is the way a movie theater is supposed to be run, for a proper presentation and the reason why this is one of my favorite movie theaters anywhere. Thanks to the owner, Mr. Solo, and the movie operator, City Cinemas. Website says “The Wife” starts Aug 17, “Colette” (wonderful poster in theater) starts Sept 21. “Mary Queen of Scotts” trailer was shown- I hope the Paris gets that.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on April 8, 2018 at 7:44 pm

Before “Victoria & Abdul” began in October, there had been a September closing for a couple weeks. All seats were reupholstered & new carpets were installed, too. I don’t need recliner chairs & since there’s many premieres & special events that need the full seating capacity, just as well since recliners greatly reduce the number of seats. Until then, in the balcony, seats in side sections were a darker color. Now all seats have the same color as the curtain. Yesterday, I enjoyed “Lean on Pete” which began its 1st week at the Paris.The Paris website lists as coming: “The Seagull” May 11, “Gauguin- Voyage de Tahiti” July 11 and “The Wife” Aug 3.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on April 8, 2018 at 6:32 pm

This year marks 70 years since this theater opened. It is the oldest art house theater in NYC that is still operating.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on February 21, 2018 at 12:09 am

Hello-

whoever books films for the Paris knows their stuff. the last few years whatever Oscar bait film opened in Nov. usually stays till the beginning' of April.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on December 30, 2017 at 7:22 pm

The closing of the Lincoln plaza multiplex will impact this theater a lot.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on November 30, 2017 at 6:39 pm

I agree. AMC really started this trend where I live especially for imax and dolby showings. Standard seating is still available for other screens.

Antoine Doinel
Antoine Doinel on November 17, 2017 at 4:05 pm

Roadshows were special, and meant to be that way. It’s only in recent times that standard movie runs in the U.S. have adopted reserved seating. And it’s about time. I’m very happy about it. Like I said, “FINALLY!!!”

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on November 14, 2017 at 6:19 pm

Reserved seating first debuted in USA for road show releases during the golden age of Hollywood but it took awhile for mainstream cinema chains to accept it.

Antoine Doinel
Antoine Doinel on November 5, 2017 at 11:50 pm

Reserved seating is AWESOME!!!! Thank you City Cinemas for reserved seating! General admission seating is for animals! Reserved seating is great! Reserve your tickets and seats in advance, and donkt worry about standing in line or having to get there early! It’s the civilized way to see a film, and reserved seating has long been the norm internationally. Finally the U.S. catches up. I’m very pleased with this. It’s the way all cinemas should be!

cmbussmann
cmbussmann on October 27, 2017 at 5:14 pm

Am not a fan of reserved seating, especially at a place like the Paris. For one, it slows the ticket line down. As well, I like to sit in the balcony but sometimes the older patrons here doze off and snore so then I move downstairs.