Paris Theatre

4 West 58th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Shade
Shade on July 8, 2005 at 9:40 pm

The Paris continues its 2005 Saturday midnight screening series with Rebel Without a Cause.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on July 5, 2005 at 10:39 pm

There was a Fine Arts Theatre farther east on 58th Street:

/theaters/6371/

Coate
Coate on July 5, 2005 at 6:23 pm

“It’s probably worth pointing out that the Paris is one of the few remaining theaters in the city equipped for 70MM. ‘Howard’s End’ and Kenneth Branagh’s ‘Hamlet’ were both presented in 70MM at the Paris.” (ErikH, Mar 21, 2005)

During the time of the “Howards End” engagement, the theater was called the Fine Arts.

Coate
Coate on July 5, 2005 at 6:22 pm

Shade, you sound bitter.

Shade
Shade on July 5, 2005 at 5:47 pm

Nope, and after the smaller turnout for Dog Day Afternoon last Saturday, it’s not certain whether the midnights will be continuing.

I love this site, but boy, it sure would be nice to see people LEAVE THEIR COMPUTERS and GO TO THE THEATERS AND SUPPORT THEM from time to time…

evmovieguy
evmovieguy on June 28, 2005 at 11:22 am

Is there a schedule posted somewhere for the midnight Paris shows?

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on June 27, 2005 at 10:59 pm

Does the PAris have curtains or do they use those tacky slides?

Shade
Shade on June 27, 2005 at 5:29 pm

This weekend is DOG DAY AFTERNOON, Saturday at midnight.

First weekend of All the President’s Men had about 90 in attendance. 2001 had about 80. Not bad at all for being in dead just west of east side midtown next to a dead hotel. It’s great fun seeing real movies in a real theater with real fans of film. Almost feels like the mid-‘80s.

evmovieguy
evmovieguy on June 27, 2005 at 3:24 pm

I heard that The Paris played Kubrick’s ‘2001: A Space Odyssey’ this past weekend at midnight. Damn! I hate when I miss stuff like that. Anybody have any idea what they are going to show this weekend at midnight?

hardbop
hardbop on June 13, 2005 at 2:48 am

I noticed that the Paris has started a midnight screening on Saturday nights. They screened ALL THE PRESIDENT’S MEN this past weekend and had a fairly big ad in the times trumpeting the screening. The ad was no doubt placed to trigger awareness because I doubt the outlay for an ad of that size in the Times could be recouped with ticket revenue from one screening.

That is a tad too late for me, but I’ll keep tabs on it.

RobertR
RobertR on June 9, 2005 at 12:00 pm

In May of 1969 Paramount took a huge ad for Zeffirelli’s “Romeo & Juliet” which was then in its 34th week at The Paris.

Don K.
Don K. on May 27, 2005 at 7:08 pm

The Paris Theatre rivalled my affection for the Beekman Theatre during the years that I lived in New York. Technically, the Paris Theatre is a West Side house, since it is located west of Fifth Avenue. Fortunately, I saw a number of films there and I always found the presentation to be very good. My only complaint was that the auditorium tended to get very warm at times.

The Paris' understated simplicity always had a very sophisticated New York quality about it. It would be a shame if it falls victim to some real estate developer. If the worst happens, this theatre will live on in my memory.

As Bogart said in CASABLANCA, “We’ll always have Paris.”

CUBBSCOUT
CUBBSCOUT on April 19, 2005 at 4:18 am

I hope to visit The Paris soon!

savingtheboyd
savingtheboyd on April 18, 2005 at 4:42 pm

The Paris is a very elegant movie house, well kept, and with a great art house program.

br91975
br91975 on April 1, 2005 at 10:57 am

The Paris indeed does only the occasional revival, seemingly (with the exception of the ‘Cinema Paradiso’ director’s cut release in 2002, which was a planned release) only when there’s a gap in their programming (i.e., when a film does less-than-stellar business and there isn’t another one booked to immediately replace it).

Gerald A. DeLuca
Gerald A. DeLuca on April 1, 2005 at 10:50 am

re: “They occasionally do revivals."
They did a revival of "Cinema Paradiso” a few years ago in the uncut version, but I don’t think it did very well.

hardbop
hardbop on April 1, 2005 at 10:16 am

I also remember that the Paris was one of the few, if the only, commercial theatre in Manhattan that did not have a snack bar. I think that was the policy of the Pathe folks. When Loew’s took over, the snack bar went in.

I’ve been to the Paris many times. They occasionally do revivals. I remember seeing “Purple Noon” with Alain Delon here as well as sitting through a Marx Brothers double-feature. And they did a Merchant-Ivory retro. I also remember getting literally the last ticket to a New Year’s Day, 9:30 a.m. screening of Kenneth’s Branagh’s “Hamlet.”

ErikH
ErikH on March 21, 2005 at 1:14 pm

It’s probably worth pointing out that the Paris is one of the few remaining theaters in the city equipped for 70MM. “Howard’s End” and Kenneth Branagh’s “Hamlet” were both presented in 70MM at the Paris.

Edward Havens
Edward Havens on March 21, 2005 at 12:54 pm

I’ve only been to the Paris once, to see “Amelie” with my wife, but it is one of my favorite theatres. The Paris proves that a theatre need not be massive to be a palace.

Cinemaro
Cinemaro on March 19, 2005 at 4:19 pm

Easily one of the very best cinemas in New York City. The staff is gracious and so is the entire space, which is also quite comfortable. I especially enjoy the balcony. It also tends to show movies that really interest me. I love the Paris.

AndyT
AndyT on March 8, 2005 at 1:24 pm

Ohhhh, and no one has mentioned that the Paris has a real balcony. It’s a terrific place to see a film and was a great refuge from today’s snow storm. Bride and Prejudice: Bollywood on a wintry day —— fun!

iemola1
iemola1 on February 26, 2005 at 8:19 am

It’s comforting to know, in light of all the horror stories one reads on this website, that this single-screen art house and my very own cinema treasure, is still up and running and providing audiences today, with deluxe presentations along with a touch of class and style.

GeorgeStrum
GeorgeStrum on February 26, 2005 at 6:20 am

The Paris is one of the most comfortable theatres to see a film!

iemola1
iemola1 on February 5, 2005 at 9:48 am

I worked as an usher at The PARIS between 1970-1972. When the assistant manager became the manager of The Ziegfeld, I went with him as an usher and doorman and lasted there about two years before I got a real job. But I’ll never forget the PARIS or the people who ran it. To this day, it was the most wonderful working experience of my life. And to think I’d work on Friday nights there, then open the theater on Saturdays and work there all day until closing, and do it again all over on Sundays. And I didn’t mind. I still love the Paris and whenever I get back to New York, I always go past it. By the way, one of the great things about working in any theater in Manhattan was the ability to get free passes, or actually you name in a book kept in all the other theater’s box offices, that allowed me free entry into those theaters. Between 1970-1974 I must have seen hundreds of movies with my girlfriend, for free. What a great little asset for a film-school student.

ceb
ceb on December 19, 2004 at 8:46 pm

I worked for Leo R. Dratfield, who in the late sixties partnered with Duncan McGregor to form the releasing firm Pathe-Contemporary. It is my understanding the Mr. McGregor parachuted into the yard of one of the Pathe daughters during World War II, and eventually they were married. He went to America to open the Paris and the 1948 date seems about right.

I was involved in the 1968 release of DiAntonio’s film “In The Year of the Pig” by Pathe-Contemporary, and had the experience of carrying a print of this title into the Chicago Police Censor Board, while the “Chicago Seven” trial was going on.

I also, in the seventies, saw “The Boy Friend” at the Paris with both Fellini and Ruby Keeler in attendence.

I would like to know if Duncan is alive?