Marboro Theatre

6817 Bay Parkway,
Brooklyn, NY 11204

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on August 9, 2004 at 10:54 am

I haven’t been inside the Midway since it re-opened, but someone told me that everything beyond the entrance and lobby areas had to be replaced. From the outside, the Midway still looks pretty much the same, though there has been some streamlining of the marquee. If you need more details, you should try to contact Jeff Gottlieb, head of the Central Queens Historical Society, who’s the #1 expert on the Midway. I believe that his home phone number is listed in the white pages of the Queens directory.

RobertR
RobertR on August 9, 2004 at 10:42 am

The entire Midway lobby is the same just jazzier with another staircase and an elevator added.

Bway
Bway on August 9, 2004 at 10:29 am

Warren, I guess I should really ask this in the Midway section, but since we are talking about it here…
It sounds like basically nothing of the old midway still exists? I haven’t been in there in about 12 years, way before the renovation, and remember the lobby looking much like it did when it was one theater. I think I remember there being a “lobby balcony” which lead to the two theaters upstairs in the old balcony. I remember a lot of old ornamentation still existing both in the lobby and the 4 theaters. Was it completely gutted? When you say “collapsed”, do you mean the interior, or did they actually have to rebuild the exterior “bones” of the building too?
It seems the Marboro would also have to be completely gutted and rebuilt in that case, if the Midway (which appeared in good shape) needed so much reconstruction.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on August 9, 2004 at 10:07 am

Most of the “old” Midway collapsed when they started the latest renovation, and they had to build virtually a whole new structure. That’s why the project took several years to complete instead of just one. The Marboro is probably in much worse condition. It opened in the 1920s, making it about twenty years older than the Midway, which debuted in 1942.

RonS
RonS on August 9, 2004 at 8:42 am

Who remembers the luncheonette next door, Jack and Irv’s? Best french fries, burgers, brisket sandwiches anywhere. I grew up in that place, as my mom worked at Belvar across the street, and it was also where I got my first job, working part time during high school days.

MarkW
MarkW on August 6, 2004 at 8:33 pm

Regal should realize that they could be in big trouble if somebody gets hurt in there. (Door was wide open for days until a local resident locked it with a chain and padlock) Whatever they plan to do, I hope they do it soon. The entire block is becoming an eyesore.

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on August 3, 2004 at 12:11 pm

They keep saying they will reopen it, that the building is not for sale, I guess they must have a lot of people asking to buy it and turn it into another drug store, just wht we don’t need! Consider the Alpine in Bay Ridge it doesn’t have parking near it either and it’s always packed on weekends. The unfortunate thing is the way this building has crumbled it’s going to take a lot of work to get it to even resemble the Midway.

Bway
Bway on August 3, 2004 at 11:27 am

There’s not much parking in Forest Hills either, but that didn’t stop them from doing it to the Midway Theater (and there are other theaters near there too). The subway is also a block away there.

YMike
YMike on August 3, 2004 at 10:57 am

2 years is a long time. I will believe it when I see it. One problem with that location is there is no place to put a parking lot or garage. I know the subway is 2 blocks away and a major bus route (B6) stops there but most people like to go by car. I do hope they build it.

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on August 2, 2004 at 1:59 pm

We spoke with the Regal Entertainment Group constrution Department, they are going to redevelop this property into a modern day multiplex. It is on the list of upcoming construction projects. This will most likely be completed in 2006. This Bensonhurst theatre will be back!!!!

mp775
mp775 on July 1, 2004 at 7:21 pm

The kittens are safe :)

MarkW
MarkW on June 30, 2004 at 5:55 pm

I believe the architect was Charles W. Sandblom. Can anybody confirm this?

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on June 30, 2004 at 6:12 am

Does anyone out there know who the original architect of the Marboro was?

YMike
YMike on June 30, 2004 at 5:24 am

I never really like this theatre (The Oriental was much better) and once it was split up it was not a great place to see a movie. Did not like the sound in the upstairs theatres. By the way, I hope the cats ended up with someone.

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on June 25, 2004 at 5:57 am

Here is some information on the seating capacity for each of the Marboro’s auditoriums. Theatre 1: 489 seats, Theatre 2: 433 seats, Theatre 3: 214 seats, Theatre 4: 289 seats.

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on June 24, 2004 at 7:25 pm

Like so many other theatres, United Artists spent absolutely no time and effort on the upkeep of the Marboro. I remember the last time I was here when this theatre was still open for business, it was falling apart at the seams. the plaster was crumbling, the carpets were torn, the roof leaky and the seats all broken. I honestly can say I don’t blame people who wanted to go to the UA Sheepshead Bay. If and when this renovation project ever happens they will have to gut the place, very little inside is salvagable.

Bway
Bway on June 24, 2004 at 6:16 pm

Thanks so much Mark. It is such a treat to get some interior photos, They are so hard to find of so many of the theaters (either current or past).
Those pictures are almost a year old now, I assume it must have gotten so much worse of the last year. Who knows how bad it is now!

MarkW
MarkW on June 24, 2004 at 4:04 pm

One more thing. The pics were taken in Sept-Oct 2003.

MarkW
MarkW on June 24, 2004 at 4:03 pm

I am the MW who took some of those pics. I have many more and will have them up on that page soon.

Bway
Bway on June 24, 2004 at 2:29 pm

What I find amazing is that the theater deteriorated so quickly! Obviously, it was falling apart before they closd it already, as some of the deterioration couldn’t have happened overnight. But so quickly it looks like a cave!

The photos apparently were taken in the fall of 2003, so all the deterioration you see happened in just a little over a year, seeing that the Marboro closed in July 2002!

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on June 24, 2004 at 1:41 pm

Bway,

Those photos are sad. To see such a once great theatre in such awful shape is depressing. Regal just walked away and threw the keys away, letting the vandals destroy the place. But they can never destroy our memories!!!

Bway
Bway on June 24, 2004 at 12:39 pm

Here’s some photos I found on the web of the Marlboro’s interior in it’s current state of disrepair:

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on June 24, 2004 at 11:04 am

An upcale cinema in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn? Where would the customers come from? Regal operates an indie/foreign division called Regal Cinema Art, maybe they will be in charge if the project goes thru.

Lawrence
Lawrence on June 22, 2004 at 10:51 am

I have heard the plans are to tear down the building and put in
a retail / cinema complex catering to the upscale clientele.
This may happen as soon as April 2005. Regal will not be the
operator of this cinema.

HomegaMan
HomegaMan on June 22, 2004 at 9:43 am

This is the other theater I went to when I lived on West 13th. I have seen many a film here including “White Nights” in 1985 and the last film I saw there was “L.A. Confidential” in 1997. My wife hated the theater because when they seperated the floors they kept the same screen. It was horrible.
Now continue talking about the plans for Regal cinema to re-open.