Marboro Theatre

6817 Bay Parkway,
Brooklyn, NY 11204

YMike
YMike on August 10, 2004 at 6:42 pm

Maybe Regal is just going to demolish the entire block of buildings including the Marboro and build a new theatre from scratch. I would think this would be the best way to go considering the state of the Marboro.

MikeRadio
MikeRadio on August 10, 2004 at 11:01 am

I think those people were making home movies in there.

It would be nicer if they showed regular movies again.

Bway
Bway on August 10, 2004 at 5:11 am

What a shame. I am sure that the theater has deteriorated significantly from when those photos in the link above were taken. It’s sad that between neglect, and worse, intruders, the theater gets worse by the day.

MarkW
MarkW on August 10, 2004 at 4:52 am

Passed by tonight and found the doors wide open and people coming out. I don’t want to think of what they were doing in there. I called 311 and was put through to the Buildings dept. They said there are several complaints and that Regal will be getting a call and the theatre a visit from an inspector.

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on August 9, 2004 at 7:13 pm

The Marboro is in awfull shape, I don’t think anything inside can be salvaged at this point. There is horrible water damage in the two former upstairs theatres and along the side walls of the two downstairs ones as well. Regal is just going to gut this entire cinema and rebuild it from scratch inside the shell. Other than the side walls above the exits and a chandelier upstairs, a lot of this theatres original ornamentation was lost forever in the quading process in the 1970’s

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on August 9, 2004 at 6:54 pm

I haven’t been inside the Midway since it re-opened, but someone told me that everything beyond the entrance and lobby areas had to be replaced. From the outside, the Midway still looks pretty much the same, though there has been some streamlining of the marquee. If you need more details, you should try to contact Jeff Gottlieb, head of the Central Queens Historical Society, who’s the #1 expert on the Midway. I believe that his home phone number is listed in the white pages of the Queens directory.

RobertR
RobertR on August 9, 2004 at 6:42 pm

The entire Midway lobby is the same just jazzier with another staircase and an elevator added.

Bway
Bway on August 9, 2004 at 6:29 pm

Warren, I guess I should really ask this in the Midway section, but since we are talking about it here…
It sounds like basically nothing of the old midway still exists? I haven’t been in there in about 12 years, way before the renovation, and remember the lobby looking much like it did when it was one theater. I think I remember there being a “lobby balcony” which lead to the two theaters upstairs in the old balcony. I remember a lot of old ornamentation still existing both in the lobby and the 4 theaters. Was it completely gutted? When you say “collapsed”, do you mean the interior, or did they actually have to rebuild the exterior “bones” of the building too?
It seems the Marboro would also have to be completely gutted and rebuilt in that case, if the Midway (which appeared in good shape) needed so much reconstruction.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on August 9, 2004 at 6:07 pm

Most of the “old” Midway collapsed when they started the latest renovation, and they had to build virtually a whole new structure. That’s why the project took several years to complete instead of just one. The Marboro is probably in much worse condition. It opened in the 1920s, making it about twenty years older than the Midway, which debuted in 1942.

RonS
RonS on August 9, 2004 at 4:42 pm

Who remembers the luncheonette next door, Jack and Irv’s? Best french fries, burgers, brisket sandwiches anywhere. I grew up in that place, as my mom worked at Belvar across the street, and it was also where I got my first job, working part time during high school days.

MarkW
MarkW on August 7, 2004 at 4:33 am

Regal should realize that they could be in big trouble if somebody gets hurt in there. (Door was wide open for days until a local resident locked it with a chain and padlock) Whatever they plan to do, I hope they do it soon. The entire block is becoming an eyesore.

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on August 3, 2004 at 8:11 pm

They keep saying they will reopen it, that the building is not for sale, I guess they must have a lot of people asking to buy it and turn it into another drug store, just wht we don’t need! Consider the Alpine in Bay Ridge it doesn’t have parking near it either and it’s always packed on weekends. The unfortunate thing is the way this building has crumbled it’s going to take a lot of work to get it to even resemble the Midway.

Bway
Bway on August 3, 2004 at 7:27 pm

There’s not much parking in Forest Hills either, but that didn’t stop them from doing it to the Midway Theater (and there are other theaters near there too). The subway is also a block away there.

YMike
YMike on August 3, 2004 at 6:57 pm

2 years is a long time. I will believe it when I see it. One problem with that location is there is no place to put a parking lot or garage. I know the subway is 2 blocks away and a major bus route (B6) stops there but most people like to go by car. I do hope they build it.

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on August 2, 2004 at 9:59 pm

We spoke with the Regal Entertainment Group constrution Department, they are going to redevelop this property into a modern day multiplex. It is on the list of upcoming construction projects. This will most likely be completed in 2006. This Bensonhurst theatre will be back!!!!

mp775
mp775 on July 2, 2004 at 3:21 am

The kittens are safe :)

MarkW
MarkW on July 1, 2004 at 1:55 am

I believe the architect was Charles W. Sandblom. Can anybody confirm this?

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on June 30, 2004 at 2:12 pm

Does anyone out there know who the original architect of the Marboro was?

YMike
YMike on June 30, 2004 at 1:24 pm

I never really like this theatre (The Oriental was much better) and once it was split up it was not a great place to see a movie. Did not like the sound in the upstairs theatres. By the way, I hope the cats ended up with someone.

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on June 25, 2004 at 1:57 pm

Here is some information on the seating capacity for each of the Marboro’s auditoriums. Theatre 1: 489 seats, Theatre 2: 433 seats, Theatre 3: 214 seats, Theatre 4: 289 seats.

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on June 25, 2004 at 3:25 am

Like so many other theatres, United Artists spent absolutely no time and effort on the upkeep of the Marboro. I remember the last time I was here when this theatre was still open for business, it was falling apart at the seams. the plaster was crumbling, the carpets were torn, the roof leaky and the seats all broken. I honestly can say I don’t blame people who wanted to go to the UA Sheepshead Bay. If and when this renovation project ever happens they will have to gut the place, very little inside is salvagable.

Bway
Bway on June 25, 2004 at 2:16 am

Thanks so much Mark. It is such a treat to get some interior photos, They are so hard to find of so many of the theaters (either current or past).
Those pictures are almost a year old now, I assume it must have gotten so much worse of the last year. Who knows how bad it is now!

MarkW
MarkW on June 25, 2004 at 12:04 am

One more thing. The pics were taken in Sept-Oct 2003.

MarkW
MarkW on June 25, 2004 at 12:03 am

I am the MW who took some of those pics. I have many more and will have them up on that page soon.

Bway
Bway on June 24, 2004 at 10:29 pm

What I find amazing is that the theater deteriorated so quickly! Obviously, it was falling apart before they closd it already, as some of the deterioration couldn’t have happened overnight. But so quickly it looks like a cave!

The photos apparently were taken in the fall of 2003, so all the deterioration you see happened in just a little over a year, seeing that the Marboro closed in July 2002!