Loew's Pitkin Theatre

1501 Pitkin Avenue,
Brownsville,
Brooklyn, NY 11212

creativa
creativa on January 27, 2008 at 9:39 pm

my book is finally out! and as promised, it features an entire chapter about the loew’s pitkin and other local brownsville cinemas. it talks about the pitkin experience in detail, showcases some photos that round out the impression. thanks to all who shared some of the photos with me. it can be ordered through amazon, or personally through me. here’s my link – View link

BobFurmanek
BobFurmanek on December 12, 2007 at 3:44 pm

Yes, I have a Photobucket account. I’ll try to get some of those images scanned and posted.

In looking at the film coverage and photos of Mr. Lewis' theater tours, both RKO and Loew’s had police escorts to arrange for a quick passage to each theater.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on December 12, 2007 at 3:19 pm

Hey Bob… Do you have a photobucket account? It’d be fun to have you share those photos here! The tight schedules on those promo tours through the local Loew’s or RKO chain always amazed me. Five minutes onstage and then dash off and fight traffic to get to the next appearance in some other neighborhood. I just think of the congestion on some of the borough thoroughfares today and it makes me laugh. I presume that the streets were not nearly as gridlocked back then as they can be these days. Or did the promoters arrange for police escort?

BobFurmanek
BobFurmanek on December 12, 2007 at 2:30 pm

I have some photos of Jerry Lewis at the Pitkin in 1960 when he appeared on stage promoting “The Bellboy.”

larryb
larryb on November 15, 2007 at 4:48 pm

Sylvia-do you have any photos of opening day or news accounts of the opening? I am particularly interested in a parade or marching band at the opening.

creativa
creativa on November 14, 2007 at 11:00 pm

the organist who played during intermissions or at vaudeville shows.

PKoch
PKoch on November 14, 2007 at 8:18 pm

Who is she, Sylvia ?

creativa
creativa on November 14, 2007 at 8:16 pm

i have a photo of henrietta kammern. there’s even a recording on edison of her playing

sylvia

PKoch
PKoch on November 14, 2007 at 8:11 pm

Good for you, Sylvia. I’m not sure I can help you rescue the Loew’s Pitkin, though.

creativa
creativa on November 14, 2007 at 8:05 pm

ouch. it would be great to rescue rehab and turn this building into a museum of brownsville’s unique history and classic film. anybody know how to make this happen??

sylvia

ps i am preparing my new book Brownsville: The Jewish Years for publication. It has an entire chapter on the LOEW’s PITKIN!!!!!!

PKoch
PKoch on November 9, 2007 at 10:15 pm

Perhaps all too true, cypress.

PKoch
PKoch on November 9, 2007 at 10:14 pm

Thanks, Ed Solero. An interesting, and probably significant, comparison to one of the five Loew’s “wonder” theatres of 1929 and 1930.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on November 9, 2007 at 10:08 pm

Wow… Look at that roof damage! The inside must in a complete shambles! The motif of the tower above the corner entrance appears nearly identical to that of Lamb’s Loew’s 175th Street Theatre, albeit on a somewhat smaller scale.

Scholes188
Scholes188 on November 9, 2007 at 10:07 pm

It looks like they are going to demolish that beautiful building and replace it with an ugly condo.

PKoch
PKoch on November 9, 2007 at 9:38 pm

Thanks, Ken Roe. Good work. Good to read you. Hadn’t, for awhile. Glad you’re back on CT, and on the page of so illustrious a theater as the Pitkin.

PKoch
PKoch on October 29, 2007 at 2:24 pm

Good idea, cypress. I hope you find that picture, too.

Scholes188
Scholes188 on October 27, 2007 at 2:09 pm

I don’t know the name of the rapper but he has a home theater with a marquee that reads, LOEW’S PITKIN. I think it’s 50 Cents. I would love to find that picture.

nonsportsnut
nonsportsnut on August 22, 2007 at 5:25 am

Hi,

I’m a member of the Three Stooges Fan Club in Pennsylvania. The Fan Club also has a museum: www.stoogeum.com

The Fan Club is presently trying to compile a list of all Three Stooges personal appearances. We’re sure there were personal appearances in the Asbury Park area. The era may range from 1930’s to 1980’s. Please let us know how a search like this could be done. The 1960’s to 1980’s appearances may have been in connection with Officer Joe Bolton.

Thanks,

Frank Reighter

Frank Reighter
501 West Court Apt A1
(Andalusia) Bensalem, PA. 19020-7773
267 523-5166

PKoch
PKoch on June 12, 2007 at 5:58 pm

Bravo, Theaterat !

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on June 9, 2007 at 4:14 am

Sheer genius, Theaterat. LOL!

Theaterat
Theaterat on June 8, 2007 at 5:22 pm

Prehaps the purple prose placed on the Prince of Pitkin placed positive projections ,providing that the principal posturing promoted pride, prejudice and passion concerning the princley palace the Pitkin was purported to be. “Euphonious” anyone?

PKoch
PKoch on May 30, 2007 at 1:45 pm

Yes, in it, you have a repetition of the “p” sound for emphasis (alliteration), and “Prince of Pitkin Avenue” was an idiom, long associated with that part of Brownsville.