Bellerose Theater

245-14 Jericho Turnpike,
Floral Park, NY 11001

mauriceski
mauriceski on September 28, 2005 at 4:56 pm

yes,through my pursuit of lauren bacall i attended this theater twice

gregwalsh
gregwalsh on September 22, 2005 at 4:50 pm

Marty,

If I had your e-mail address – possibly through your profile – I could send you a couple of B&W photographs taken at the 1959 Memorial Day parade, with the marquee in the background.

MartyBraun
MartyBraun on September 22, 2005 at 3:34 pm

Does anyone have any photos of the Bellerose before it was altered? I can remember the marque with the blue neon block “BELLEROSE” on the sides. I think at some point a neon band went along the top and down the sides of the marque also. I remember the day a dump truck pulled under the marque and demolition workers with sledge hammers laid waste to it allowing the pieces to fall off into their truck. (A neon transformer had dangled dangerously from a wire over the sidewalk for weeks before the marque was finally taken down.) Directions given to motorists looking for the Cross Island Parkway or Braddock Ave. would never quite be the same.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on September 12, 2005 at 10:12 am

I called the Karate store today. According to them, they will be opening in 2 months. We will see.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on September 11, 2005 at 9:44 am

I wish someone knew what was going on there. The carpet store that was there before the karate store also never opened up. They put in the warehouse and roll up door. It was stocked with carpet for a whole year with no activity in or out. Now with the karate store, it’s the same thing.

MartyBraun
MartyBraun on September 11, 2005 at 6:57 am

The karate supply store either hasn’t opened or is strictly a wholesale operation. The owner recently completed a re-pointing project on the terra-cotta front and side of the building. The original terrazo lobby floor is now covered with hardwood planking. Some kind of brick warehouse has been built into the stage area of the building with an overhead door on 246 St. The concession stand in the Bellerose was small, located unter the staircase that led to the projection room (1st landing) and finally to the upstairs lounge/restrooms (no balcony unlike the neighboring Queens & Floral theaters) A water fountain next to the concession stand had an interesting aquatic-deco theme over it (vitrolite?) While the the theater walls had canvas' of painted wildlife scenes (mostly deer I believe) The last movie to play there that I recall was the original “Back to the Future” at $1.50 .

PaulLD1
PaulLD1 on July 16, 2005 at 4:24 am

At the moment I am currently rehearsing for a community theatre’s production of “Annie”, to be held in a school auditorium right there in Bellerose. I often get off the N 24 bus directly across the street from the still unopened karate store, and just take a look at the facade. You guessed it! I wish I could buy the building so that I can renovate it back into a theatre, and then donate to the community theatre group!

RobertR
RobertR on July 5, 2005 at 7:07 am

The theatre had a small candy stand, nothing special.

JakeGittes
JakeGittes on July 5, 2005 at 5:52 am

Gerald:

Evelyn Mulwray sends her best.

Gerald A. DeLuca
Gerald A. DeLuca on July 3, 2005 at 6:17 am

JakeGittes, weren’t you the character played by Jack Nicholson in Roman Polanski’s Chinatown?

JakeGittes
JakeGittes on July 3, 2005 at 6:10 am

Worked as a fill-in here for the steady manager. Fellas name was “Rudy”. Admission during time I worked was 79 cents. Patrons would steal the toilet paper. Bathroom was constantly being trashed. Century kept it going. You’d fill half the house on a Tueday night with a snowfall. Don’t remember a concession stand but at 79 cents admission, clientele probably wouldn’t pay more than 3 cents for a Coke. Cashier told me she wanted a new job before 1981 ‘cause she wouldn’t be able to deal with all the pennies.I’ll chime in on the location – Theatre was in Nassau County on Jericho Tpke. Jamaica Ave in Queens becomes Jericho Tpke on the opposite side of the Queens/Nassau border.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on April 3, 2005 at 6:12 pm

The karate store still has not opened up. Looks like the place really is cursed.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on January 14, 2005 at 3:26 pm

You are right. Some houses on 262nd street near 86th avenue have 2 addresses. One for queens and one for nassau.

gregwalsh
gregwalsh on January 14, 2005 at 12:10 pm

RCDTJ-

Actually the Floral Park problem is much worse: The City/County line runs diagonally from southwest to northeast, cutting right through residential blocks, plots, and homes!

Re the projectionists, that kind of accommodation between locals was common – sometimes mandated from above!

E.g., when the Sperry plant in Lake Success was built (1941), IBEW Local 3 had insisted on representing the electricians; notwithstanding the fact that Nassau County was Local 25 territory. Local 3’s weight carried the day; and it remained unchanged until the plant was shut down a few years ago.

As for the Floral, I don’t know; even though I started my five year Century “career” there!

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on January 14, 2005 at 11:19 am

It was always a problem with this theater location as far as the projection union was concerned. Even though it may technically be Nassau county, the city union covered it. I grew up and still live in Floral Park. We have the same problem. Floral Park is split between Queens and Nassau. Luckily, the Floral was definitely in Nassau (er, or was it)…… Just kidding

gregwalsh
gregwalsh on December 31, 2004 at 4:48 pm

To all of you guys hung up on the location of the Bellerose Theater, be advised that there are actually THREE (3) communities named “Bellerose:”

1. “Bellerose-Queens” – All of the area NORTH of Jamaica Ave/Jericho Tnpk, from Gettysburg Street to Little Neck Pkwy;

2. “Village of Bellerose” (Incorporated) – SOUTH of Jamaica Ave/Jericho Tnpk (i.e., Nassau County), and EAST of Colonial Road;

3. “Bellerose Terrace” – An unincorporated hamlet of the Town of Hempstead, SOUTH of Jamaica Ave/Jericho Tnpk (i.e., Nassau County), and WEST of Colonial Road.

As one who grew up in Bellerose, I can assure you that the theater is actually located in Bellerose Terrace (Nassau County). As for the street name, irrespective of how individual merchants wished to list their locations, the north (Queens County) side was customarily called “Jamaica Avenue,” and the south (Nassau County) side was customarily called “Jericho Turnpike.”

BTW, “Jericho Turnpike” is, in fact, the older name! As a toll road in the mid-1800’s, the name existed all the way to Jamaica. Later on, still as a toll road, the section to (what is now) Queens Village was paved with wood planks, and became know as the “Jamaica Plank Road.” The term “Jericho Turnpike” disappeared around the year 1898, when Nassau County was split from Queens with the creation of present-day New York City.

Bway
Bway on December 6, 2004 at 6:24 am

I saw the “Martial Arts” sign way back in April, and the store looked like it was about to open, but apparently, to this day it never did open.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on December 5, 2004 at 8:33 pm

The building has been cursed since it closed. It sat for about 10 years before the marquee came down from being hit so many times. It became a carpet store around 1999 but never opened after they did a big renovation. It is now a martial arts supply store which still has not opened since the awnings were put on. Dont think it will ever be used.

deleted user
[Deleted] on November 28, 2004 at 9:39 am

I show the Bellerose Theatre opening in 1931. It became a Century theatre approx 1950. There is no listing for the Bellerose Theatre after 1985.

Bway
Bway on November 26, 2004 at 11:37 am

Actually, I do believe that it’s Jericho Turnpike on one side of the street, and Jamaica Ave on the other side, as one side of the street is Queens, and the other is Nassau. The signs are even double signed on this stretch. I do believe that the Bellerose theater is on the Nassau side of the street, but the buildings on the other side are indeed in Queens.
Bellerose is as confusing as that whole “Ridgewood, Queens” and Ridgewood, Brooklyn scenario.

deleted user
[Deleted] on November 26, 2004 at 8:55 am

As a former resident of Bellerose I can state that Bellerose spans the Queens-Nassau border. The easy way to tell which county you are in is to use Little Neck Pkwy as the dividing line. West of this Pkwy is Jamaica avenue and East is Jericho Tpke. It is confusing to non residents of the area.

RobertR
RobertR on November 26, 2004 at 8:53 am

This was a true neighborhood theatre.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on November 26, 2004 at 6:31 am

I don’t know if the theater is in Nassau or Queens, but I am a union projectionist for Local 306 which covers all of the five boroughs ( not nassau). The Bellerose theater was one of our theaters to cover.

KenF
KenF on June 22, 2004 at 9:56 pm

There are a couple of interesting references to the Bellerose in the Creedmoor Civic News —

Bway
Bway on June 22, 2004 at 7:25 pm

I was on Jericho Turnpike this evening, and it is clearly in Nassau COunty. However, the signs do say Jamaica Ave. Actually, for a few blocks, the signs are actually “double-signed” with both “Jammaica” and “Jericho”. They are about 90% Jamaica Ave signs (on both sides), and the remainder “Jericho” signs, many times right nect to, or under the Jamaica Ave signs. The truth is, that the Bellerose is/was physically in Nassau County, so the address above is wrong saying that it is Queens. It’s just “Bellerose”, NY. The “Queens” should be dropped. However, the “jamaica” address appears to be correct.
Also, just for the record, the Bellerose is no longer a carpet store, it is now a “Martial Arts & Supply Center”.