Jackson Heights Cinema

40-31 82nd Street,
Jackson Heights, NY 11373

Bway
Bway on November 4, 2004 at 7:58 am

That’s how I feel about it. What’s next, the Ridgewood Theater? (Owned by the same people I believe). And it’s another theater not near any other theater, in a neighborhood with about 30% or so Hispanic population. Or how about make it Polish? Ridgewood is also about 30% Polish now, and they would probably appreciate a Polish theater too.

Again, I have no problem with Spanish subtitles, in a neighborhood where there is a high percentage of Spanish speaking people – but only if there is a theater nearby that still shows films in English, without subtitles, so everyone else that wants to see a movie in English, without the distraction of subtitles in another lanuage can. After all this IS an English speaking country. If the Madison Theater in Ridgewood still existed, make that the English theater, and I could care less if the Ridgewood Theater showed it in subtitles, because everyone else would still have a choice in their own neighborhood.

The same for the Triplex in Jackson Heights. It’s great, let it have the subtitles….but only if there was another theater nearby that was still showing movies normally.

This has NOTHING to do with Spanish, you can fill in any language you want in it’s place, and I would feel the same way.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on November 4, 2004 at 7:34 am

If the Jackson Triplex trend continues, every movie theatre in the Greater New York area could end up showing the latest Hollywood movies with sub-titles to suit the “ethnic” needs of the area it’s situated in.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on November 3, 2004 at 7:11 pm

Are you still talking about this move on!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE

Divinity
Divinity on November 3, 2004 at 6:52 pm

Perhaps you should not visit the theatre if this bothers you so much. If the Jackson is successfully playing films for both diverse communities, it is obvious that the attendance of patrons who this would discomfort is not sought after.

RobertR
RobertR on November 3, 2004 at 6:03 pm

I wonder the real reason the Plaza is not open again. That was the Spanish subtitle house.

Bway
Bway on November 3, 2004 at 5:49 pm

That I agree with. I have no problem with a Spanish (or substitute any foreign language here) if it is done in a location where there are alternatives for all the English speaking people (after all, that IS OUR language). I would probably be pretty peed off if I was an English only speaking person, and lived in let’s say Jackson HEights, and couldn’t even go to the Triplex because of the annoying subtitles, and I would have to travel elsewhere outside of my neighborhood to see movies because of this.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on November 3, 2004 at 10:02 am

The “issue” here is that the Jackson Triplex is the only mainstream movie theatre operating in a wide area including Jackson Heights, Elmhurst, Corona, and Woodside. Why should it show the latest Hollywood movies with sub-titles, regardless of what the “foreign” language might be? The sub-titles are a distraction for those who speak English. If patrons can’t understand English, that’s their problem. They should stay away or learn English. However, the policy would be tolerable if people in the area had another theatre to choose from, which, unfortunately, they don’t.

sethbook
sethbook on November 3, 2004 at 9:31 am

What’s wrong with all of you? A movie theatre showing something in ANY language is better than no movie theatre at all. We go to the movies for a lot of reasons, and one of them is to broaden our horizons and “go to another world,” yet we can’t deal with the majority of the rest of the world, which, by the way, doesn’t speak English?

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on November 1, 2004 at 12:08 pm

The building is currently owned by Sona Realty Corp. and has a market value of $3.43 million, according to NYC property records.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on October 23, 2004 at 7:54 pm

Divinity for some this NEW your not very nice…….

Divinity
Divinity on October 23, 2004 at 6:57 pm

It probably isn’t sarcasm to “those people”. Why dont we wait for one of them to view the comments and voice their opinion on the topic to determine this.

Bway
Bway on October 23, 2004 at 12:05 pm

Divinity, Andy’s post above is obviously sarcasm if i have ever seen it….

Divinity
Divinity on October 23, 2004 at 10:08 am

Oh no Andy, I have definately got the right guy, or have you forgotten the posting you left 9 spaces up?
My indignation was made approrriately, It was your comment that was inappropriate. Although you seem to have changed your attitude on the topic.

AndyT
AndyT on October 23, 2004 at 5:56 am

Divinity,
I think that what I consider my delicate satire has escaped you. I am more than happy when a theater remains open, paying taxes and making our city more vibrant. If they choose to run sub-titles, operate 24 hours a day or put real butter on the popcorn, it’s all good. My little family of three has even chose to become bilingual, not by learning English but by learning Spanish. You picked the wrong guy. Sorry your indignation was misplaced.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on October 23, 2004 at 4:38 am

STOP THE MADNESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Divinity
Divinity on October 22, 2004 at 8:01 pm

Very well said (or written) br91975!

br91975
br91975 on October 22, 2004 at 9:12 am

I don’t see where the Jackson Triplex showing its films with Spanish subtitles is an issue; hell, we live in a multi-ethnic city (and a multi-ethnic nation) and part of that, along with integrating American culture into the ethnicities of everyone who calls this city and this nation home, is retaining a sense of one’s culture and, above all else, a sense of personal comfort. Otherwise – and I know I may get shouted down for this and urge those who’d do the shouting to think for a moment before they do so – most of that fine line that divides our society with that of a certain European country in the 1930s and ‘40s would be erased…

Divinity
Divinity on October 22, 2004 at 8:52 am

Andy,
It is disgusting to think that in modern American society, some people still havent culturally advanced enough, to stop their fear and prejudice toward other ethnic groups. Especially in a community where South Americans and Mexicans live. The majority of them have been on the western hemisphere longer than us and survived brutal colonialism from both the Spaniards and the Americans. Mexico would probably have been more prosperous if greed hadn’t driven America to steal California with its gold, Nevada with its silver, and Texas with its oil as well as Arizona and New Mexico which were all part of their empire. We are all immigrants in some way or another. Over sixty percent of the people in these groups are Spanish speaking Aztec, Mayan, Inca, and Native American decendants. Yet when they migrate north they are greeted by hate.I suppose this is a repeating pattern that always occurs when new waves of ethnic groups enter any region of North America.It happened to the waves of Irish and Italian immigrants arriving in New York at the turn of the century when help wanted signs would bear the cruel words “no Irish” or “no Italians”.It happened to upper and middle class Jews who could not live on Park or Fifth Avenue and had to build a Jewish Fifth Ave (The Grand Concourse). We all know what happened to the African American community upon arrival with the evils segregation policies.
So I suppose that this might be a tradition in New York.
In this cultural melting pot we have to find a way to live together and embrace all of the colors in this rainbow that that we know as New York City.
Prejudice is taught, so unteach yourself.
Once you let go of those fears, you will be free and have love for everyone.

Bway
Bway on October 22, 2004 at 8:44 am

While I do agree with Mike to an extent, everyone should learn the language, I have no sympathy for those that feel that forms, and everythign has to be in Spanish and English. That being said, I also have to say that this happening with “Spanish” in a theater is nothing new. Spanish just happens to be the language of the most recent and major new immigrants in this country. If you go back to the early part of this century, German was the wave of immagrants, and there were lots of German speaking only theaters in the areas they settled in at the time. In Ridgewood for example, which was where a lot of them settled, the Irving (Mozart) Theater comes to mind, as well as the Wyckoff Theater, and there were plenty others too. There were also plenty of Italian speaking theaters, such as the Major Theater on Canal St before Chinatown took over Little Italy. In fact that one even became a Chinese Theater after that.
I see nothing wrong with a theater become “ethnic” if it’s in a neighborhood where that ethnicity is the majority. And it’s nothing new, it’s been done with most major influx of immigrants, whoever they were at the time.

But to be clear I still think it’s disgusting that they put Spanish and English on so many places. But that’s a totally different issue.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on October 22, 2004 at 8:26 am

The two smaller “screens” occupy the former stadium section of seats at the rear of the orchestra floor. The Jackson never had a traditional, over-hanging “balcony.”

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on October 22, 2004 at 8:25 am

I for one would boycott the theater if I still lived in NYC. I think this country is out of control with the Spanish issue. This is America and the Spanish population should realize that if they are going to live in the US they need to learn our language. You don’t see the French or Germans or any other foreign person asking that there language be spoken.

AndyT
AndyT on October 22, 2004 at 5:23 am

Yes. it’s really terrible for someone to keep a theater running by placing sub-titles at the bottom of the screen. It must be “those people” sending secrets to “their people.” And get this … some of them don’t even look like us. They MUST be up to something. Certainly this couldn’t be a case of the millions of New Yorkers who speak Spanish having a pleasant evening out at the movies. Better watch out … the next thing they will be doing is paying taxes and keeping the city healthy!

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on October 21, 2004 at 9:23 pm

lol/ only for your 1st week play nice

Divinity
Divinity on October 21, 2004 at 9:20 pm

Darling, I always play nice.