Jackson Heights Cinema

40-31 82nd Street,
Jackson Heights, NY 11373

Bway on October 22, 2004 at 8:44 am

While I do agree with Mike to an extent, everyone should learn the language, I have no sympathy for those that feel that forms, and everythign has to be in Spanish and English. That being said, I also have to say that this happening with “Spanish” in a theater is nothing new. Spanish just happens to be the language of the most recent and major new immigrants in this country. If you go back to the early part of this century, German was the wave of immagrants, and there were lots of German speaking only theaters in the areas they settled in at the time. In Ridgewood for example, which was where a lot of them settled, the Irving (Mozart) Theater comes to mind, as well as the Wyckoff Theater, and there were plenty others too. There were also plenty of Italian speaking theaters, such as the Major Theater on Canal St before Chinatown took over Little Italy. In fact that one even became a Chinese Theater after that.
I see nothing wrong with a theater become “ethnic” if it’s in a neighborhood where that ethnicity is the majority. And it’s nothing new, it’s been done with most major influx of immigrants, whoever they were at the time.

But to be clear I still think it’s disgusting that they put Spanish and English on so many places. But that’s a totally different issue.

Mikeoaklandpark on October 22, 2004 at 8:25 am

I for one would boycott the theater if I still lived in NYC. I think this country is out of control with the Spanish issue. This is America and the Spanish population should realize that if they are going to live in the US they need to learn our language. You don’t see the French or Germans or any other foreign person asking that there language be spoken.

AndyT on October 22, 2004 at 5:23 am

Yes. it’s really terrible for someone to keep a theater running by placing sub-titles at the bottom of the screen. It must be “those people” sending secrets to “their people.” And get this … some of them don’t even look like us. They MUST be up to something. Certainly this couldn’t be a case of the millions of New Yorkers who speak Spanish having a pleasant evening out at the movies. Better watch out … the next thing they will be doing is paying taxes and keeping the city healthy!

longislandmovies on October 21, 2004 at 9:23 pm

lol/ only for your 1st week play nice

Divinity on October 21, 2004 at 9:20 pm

Darling, I always play nice.

Divinity on October 21, 2004 at 7:51 pm

The owners must be doing something right since they are still doing good buisness with subtitles in Spanish. I wasnt aware that the subtitles block the entire screen and would cause patrons to go elsewhere. I for one will be attending since it will help me practice for my Spanish class next semester. Are you saying that it is inapprorriate to have subtitles since Spanish, a language spoken by most of the area residents, buisness owners and patrons of the theater. Perhaps you should suggest that subtitles be removed from theaters showing foreign films as well. At foreign film festivals we can all just sit around in the dark and guess what the actors are saying.

RobertR on September 14, 2004 at 7:43 am

I cant believe that the neighborhood gave the owners a problem about adding screens to the Plaza. That area needs improvement and movie patrons spend money in areas around the theatre in restaurants and shopping. Makes no sense.

br91975 on September 14, 2004 at 7:43 am

The Jackson Triplex, the Plaza 1 & 2 in Corona, and the Ridgewood are the three properties of the Queen City mini-chain of theatres.

William on November 15, 2003 at 9:49 am

The Jackson’s address is 40-31 82nd Street.