Oasis Theatre

63-57 Fresh Pond Road,
Ridgewood, NY 11385

stevenl
stevenl on April 20, 2006 at 4:33 am

Richard Hell and the Voidoids played at the Oasis. i remember seeing the sign for the show and being around 12 years old i thought the name was strange/memorable.i dont recall any other shows there. i was still heavily into Kiss at the time.I remember seeing Food for the Gods, Grizzly Addems< the Apple Dumpling Gang,Return of the Pink Panther,Black Sunday/bw the Gambler, Ben, Death Race 2000(or was the at the Arion on metropolitan ave?)Hindenburg.I also remember a coin store right next door when i went through my coin collecting phase i usede to love that store.Maspeth was a nice town but there was ALOT of drugs going on.Everyone got high at a very young age.its not like that today (i hope)

billmetz
billmetz on October 13, 2005 at 4:38 pm

to cinema treasures i think you should definitely list the oasis in Ridgewood rather than Glendale …i lived afew blocks away 1940 thru 1960 and ridgewood extended all the way to metropolitan aven…and glendale was at least half mile away thank you

billmetz
billmetz on October 8, 2005 at 2:29 pm

well do iremeber the oasis on fresh pond rd and menahan street i lived on woodbine st only 5 blocks away….from 1940 to 1954 i saw some great double bills there ir remember Fredric March in One foot in heaven and jimmy durante in Youre in trhe army now…in 1944 i believe….a great movie house with wonderful soundsystem "

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on August 30, 2005 at 12:06 pm

Could the introduction be changed? The names of the Randforce and Skouras circuits are spelled incorrectly. Also, to the best of my knowledge, until the United Artists Theatre Circuit dropped the divisional names of Randforce and Skouras, this was always the Randforce Utopia and never the Skouras Utopia. Because of its location in Ridgewood, the Utopia was considered in Randforce territory, which was exclusively Brooklyn except for a few theatres on the Queens border with Brooklyn. There were never any Skouras theatres in Brooklyn.

ammie
ammie on August 30, 2005 at 11:28 am

Hi Everyone! Thank you for bringing back such memories of The Oasis :) I was there a couple of times. I did look through all of the pics that were posted here but does anybody have any of the interior from when it was a roller rink? I would love to see them. Thanks!!
Ammie

Bway
Bway on August 14, 2005 at 3:27 pm

Thanks Robert. And by the way, to further confuse the whole “Ridgewood-Glendale” debate about this theater, they called it “Maspeth” in the article!!!

RobertR
RobertR on August 14, 2005 at 1:52 am

Here is a story about a 1953 robbery at the Oasis.

RobertR
RobertR on August 8, 2005 at 12:29 am

The Burtons on a 1967 neighborhood run. The second feature had Faye Dunaway before she became a star in it.

Bway
Bway on July 25, 2005 at 11:58 am

Haha. The Oasis is even close to Brooklyn! Again, obviously there must have been some sort of economic advantage in advertising so many of these Queens Theaters (such as the Madison, Ridgewood, Oasis – all in Queens) as “Brooklyn”.
Although granted, we still have the old “Brooklyn zip code”, even though in Queens) for Glendale and Ridgewood up until the early 80’s. This was discussed in mass in the Ridgewood Theater section. That could also be the reason.

RobertR
RobertR on July 24, 2005 at 10:24 pm

Look at the Brooklyn theatres for this 1964 re-release of “The Longest Day”,16 theatres.

PKoch
PKoch on July 19, 2005 at 7:24 pm

Trouble is, postal zone 11385 contains both Ridgewood and Glendale, without a boundary between them. DOES Ridgewood have any sort of “official” boundary, whether a Congressional district, or some function of state, city or county government ?

Or is there just the “unoffical” Ridgewood boundary shown in the map included in the New York Times article, “If you’re thinking of living in Ridgewood …” ?

Otherwise, one can debate neighborhood boundaries, ad infinitum, ad nauseum, like medieval schoolmen trying to figure out how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, but I, for one, have better and more important things to do.

I will admit it sometimes makes for good humor, though, like the 30-year running routine between me and my best friend, “Hey Pete, where’s South Brooklyn ?”

There seems to have been a lot of protest by Ridgewood residents recently about the “lumping” of Ridgewood with Bushwick, and Brooklyn, rather than Glendale, Maspeth, and Middle Village, and Queens, in terms of public services, like home care for the elderly, despite the recent gentrification of Bushwick.

Bway
Bway on July 19, 2005 at 7:22 pm

Wow, I just noticed the old photo of the Oasis' exterior. The marquee seen in that photo is not the one that survived to the end. I don’t know when the original one was replaced, but the one I remember in the 70’s and 80’s, was a trapezoid shaped one (skinnier near the street, and then wider as it approaced the building). On the skinny end at the street was a large “Oasis” sign in orange/gold bulbs or neon. While the structure of the marquee survived into the roller skating days, it was stripped, and got a white background, and “Oasis Roller World” put on the marquee, with the large “O” in Oasis having a desert scene with palm trees, etc in it. That was the logo of the roller rink, and the chips they would give you for your shoe check had that desert scene on it.
After the Oasis building burned in the late 90’s, they removed the stores that fronted on Fresh Pond Road, the Oasis lobby, and the whole right side of the building.
Interestingly, I took my photo last year in the exact location that Warren’s old photo was taken in.
Compare my photo to the old one that Warren posted:

Click here for Warren’s link to the old photo

Click here for my current photo taken last year

Bway
Bway on July 19, 2005 at 7:05 pm

Thanks Warren, keep the theaters you do find coming, they are great.
Anyway, as for the Ridgewood-Glendale thing, I have never seen Fresh Pond Rd listed as Glendale, and I had lived in Ridgewood for over almost 25 years before I left there some years ago. Lost Memory is right, it is the Railroad tracks that divide Ridgewood and Glendale, as far as I know.
The Oasis is and was in Ridgewood.

RobertR
RobertR on July 17, 2005 at 1:04 pm

More Disney fun at the Oasis

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on July 15, 2005 at 6:16 pm

The images of the Oasis are mostly from trade journals published around the time that the theatre first opened. I have no images of the Ridgewood Theatre, and don’t intend to search for any until I learn its exact opening date. Otherwise, it’s like looking for a needle in a haystack.

PKoch
PKoch on July 15, 2005 at 5:48 pm

A TV ad for Casa Classica Italian furniture store at 63-XX Fresh Pond Road, on or near the same block as the Oasis, I have heard on TV in the last 12 years, refers to it as being in “Ridgewood, Queens” loud and clear amidst all the rapidly spoken Italian.

RobertR
RobertR on July 15, 2005 at 5:20 pm

This was never called Ridgewood by any of the stores on Fresh Pond Road, always Glendale

PKoch
PKoch on July 15, 2005 at 4:36 pm

I’m not sure what I did a few months ago, but I found I could no longer log on as Peter.K, so I logged back in as PKoch.

Yes, PKoch = Peter.K. We are one and the same !

PKoch
PKoch on July 15, 2005 at 4:25 pm

Menahan Street was once called Ralph Street because it was once seen as a continuation of Ralph Avenue northeast of Broadway. If Menahan Street continued southwest past Bushwick Avenue to Broadway, it would intersect Broadway exactly opposite where Ralph Avenue intersects Broadway. Check it out on a map.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on July 15, 2005 at 3:58 pm

Here’s an opening ad, positioned below one for the Ridgewood Theatre for that same day:
www.i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/Warrengwhiz/125-2586_IMG.jpg

Also, a 1941 image of the exterior. The double bill of “Lady of Cheyenne” & “A Girl, A Guy and A Gob” originated on the RKO circuit and had previously been shown in Ridgewood at the Madison Theatre:
www.i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/Warrengwhiz/125-2575_IMG.jpg

Bway
Bway on July 15, 2005 at 2:36 pm

Oh, and just to add, that “lattice” thing over the stage as seen in the first photo, I also remember quite well. While the screen eventually became flush with that above, it was there all through the movie days. If, I’m not mistaken also lasted to the roller rink days. When it was a skating rink, they had neon dancing Egyptians in the stage area, and you were able to sit up on the stage to take a break from the skating in front of them.

Bway
Bway on July 15, 2005 at 2:33 pm

Warren! Where are you finding these! These are great, they brought back SO many memories. I remember those long skinny “sconce” lights on the sides between the “tapestry” areas. Those ornate “sconces” lasted right into the roller skating rink days. When I saw movies in there, I remember them being bright when you walked in, and then they would dim them very very dim for the movie, but they would never be completely off. In the roller rink days they were still there, and while the whole place was lined with disco lights, they did occasionally turn those sconses on, or make them flash during some of the songs. At the end of the roller sessions, they would usually play “New York, New York”, and then have those sconses on during that song, and as you left.
Under the balcony were these ornate ceiling lights in the back of the theater that also survived into the roller rink days. I believe they had a purple glow to them, but I can’t remember if that was both in the movie days, or they were made to have a purple glow in the roller rink days.
I was never in the balcony during the movie days that I remember, but it was completely intact, complete with seats right to the end of the roller rink days. When skating there, I remember looking up and seeing all the seats up there, covered with cobwebs. it was all left open in full view from below.

This is the best group of photos yet! I have no idea where you are finding them, but hopefully you will come up with the Ridgewood theater eventually….

Bway
Bway on July 13, 2005 at 9:44 am

Heh. While at least when they did this for the Madison (which was Queens, but just slightly over the border from Brooklyn), or for the Ridgewood Theater (which is/was also Queens, but a few more blocks over the border from Brooklyn than the Madison into Queens) – at least they were only a block or two from Brooklyn. The Oasis was no where near Brooklyn, being at least 10 or more blocks from Brooklyn!

Obviously, there must have been some economic advantage to advertize all these physically Queens theaters as “Brooklyn”, whereas all three of them were physically in Queens, and always were.