UA Crossbay

9411 Rockaway Boulevard,
Ozone Park, NY 11417

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on July 7, 2005 at 1:59 am

According to moviefone, the Crossbay 2 is still open.

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on July 6, 2005 at 10:39 pm

Why be surprised? Since when have any UA theatres been operated with any common sense? And now with Regal running the show they’d ptobably rather just be rid of the old UA’s.

RobertR
RobertR on July 6, 2005 at 3:44 pm

I’m still suprised this closed, the two Crossbays are in a clear booking zone and can play anything they want. This theatre was actually in much better shape then the newer Crossbay 2.

JakeGittes
JakeGittes on July 6, 2005 at 12:06 pm

Is the Crossbay gone? This was my neighborhood theatre when I was a child. Only a single house then. Nothing distinguished or endearing about the looks of the place- just good to know it was still there. You have to scratch your head over all the theatres in the immediate area that have closed in the last 25 years – Casino, Lefferts, City Line Cinema, Haven, Arion, Drake, Elmwood, Trylon, Forest Hills, the Lefrak. The audience of people who still see films in theatres must be less than half of what it was pre-VCR.

gerryrules73
gerryrules73 on July 4, 2005 at 12:13 pm

The theatre is no longer in the listings in any of the NY papers. I think this theatre is a goner.

RobertR
RobertR on June 25, 2005 at 9:57 am

This may be gone the marquee is bare, I will check it out today.

AntonyRoma
AntonyRoma on January 10, 2005 at 7:26 pm

Not too surprising that both etheatres neat a rehab. I am surprised that the Crossbay has been able to hang in there at all.

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on August 16, 2004 at 11:33 am

My first time to the original Crossbay was June 1975 to see a double bill of “Flesh Gordon” and “The Groove Tube”. I was next there the last Saturday of November 1989 to see “Back To The Future II”. I was sorry to see how it had deteriorated since 1975. Ditto the Saturday of Labor Day weekend 1993 when I returned there to see “Hard Target”.
Harrison Ford in “The Fugitive” was playing in an adjacent cinema.
I haven’t been there since.

Crossbay 2 a few blocks west at Liberty Avenue and 92nd Street was already open in mid-October 1990, because I almost saw Barry Levinson’s “Avalon” there, then. The 1990 remake of “Night Of The Living Dead” was playing there also. The first film I saw at the Crossbay 2 was “Silence Of The Lambs” on Easter Eve 1991, then “Defenseless” in late August 1991, and, most recently, the Christopher Reeve-Kirstie Alley remake of “Village Of The Damned” the first Saturday in May 1995.

One almost wouldn’t know the Crossbay 2 were there unless one was looking for it. I think it’s more visible from Rockaway Blvd. than it is from Liberty Avenue.