Alpine Theatre

6817 Fifth Avenue,
Brooklyn, NY 11220

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on June 26, 2005 at 6:51 am

The Loew’s Circuit transferred control of the Alpine to Golden Theatre Management circa 1985, Does anyone know when Cineplex Odeon took over to run the Alpine?

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on June 25, 2005 at 6:33 pm

Was it run by Cineplex Odeon at that time? It looks like it’s been closed for a while.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on June 25, 2005 at 6:22 pm

I reopened the Alpine ice cream parlor when Cineplex Odeon bought that theater …

RobertR
RobertR on June 25, 2005 at 6:16 pm

This place will be closing next.

Theatrefan
Theatrefan on June 25, 2005 at 6:04 pm

Does anyone here remember the Alpine Ice Cream Parlor around the corner from the Alpine Theatre on Bay Ridge Avenue? The sign is still there along with the entrance, but the windows and doors are covered up with paint.

BklynRob
BklynRob on May 12, 2005 at 5:51 pm

I use to live on 4th Ave.& 24th St. back in the 60’s/70’s.I remember all those theaters very well. I also have fond memories of the Park movie across from Sunset Park,which is now a supermarket. And I remember going to see the Batman flick at the old Sanders near Prospect Park. I can’t seem to recall what was on 4th ave. & 16 St. back then.I use to go to the Avon & Prospect theaters on 9th St as a kid. I loved the Avon.It’s a shame we have lost all these great theaters.

Theaterat
Theaterat on May 12, 2005 at 1:00 pm

Box Office Bill… You forgot! The Harbor was on 4th Av., albeit on 92nd. St.

Theaterat
Theaterat on May 12, 2005 at 12:57 pm

Brooklyn Rob… The Coliseum had mostly English speaking fare, but on occassion they would have a Spanish language film according to a Hispanic friend of mine who lived in the neighborhood. The Terminal, at Dean St. and 4th Av. showed Spanish films near the end of their run- late 60s early to mid 70s. Dont remember a movie house at 4th.Av. and 29th.St. but at 4 th. Av and 16th.St. there is a Strauss auto shop in a building that looks like it was a movie house at one time.The classic theater shape is undeniable. At one time Brooklyn had over 200 movie theaters, but now we are down to a mere 12.

BklynRob
BklynRob on May 11, 2005 at 5:49 pm

I think it was on the south side. It later became a bowling alley. Paradise lanes maybe,not sure.

BoxOfficeBill
BoxOfficeBill on May 10, 2005 at 9:37 pm

BklynRob— 4 Ave and 29 Street on the west side of 4 and south side of 29? Ja, you’re really jogging my memory. Perhaps. But a third- or fourth-run emporium in any case, at least in the mid-1940s when my memory begins. I’ll consult FDYB.

BklynRob
BklynRob on May 10, 2005 at 6:03 pm

I remember Robert Hall & TSS also. But I always remember the Coliseum showing Spanish films. Did anyone ever remember a movie theater on 4th Ave. & 29th Street? It was a bowling alley at one time,then a gas station. For some reason I have a vague memory of seeing “Attack Of the 50ft. Woman” at this theater. I am probably mistaken.

BoxOfficeBill
BoxOfficeBill on May 10, 2005 at 12:05 pm

Yes— On 4 Avenue in the 60s, there was also a used car dealership owned by Jack D'Amico. I always thought it odd that, aside from the Coliseum on 52 Street and the Terminal on Dean Street, 4 Avenue sported no movie theaters. As a kid, I held the firm belief that every major avenue should be lined with movie palaces.

Theaterat
Theaterat on May 10, 2005 at 11:44 am

Box Office Bill… Quess the old memory ain`t that bad after all!As a movie obsessed kid I was sure there was a theater here and, lo and behold, there was! It is amazing that this theater does not have its own entry in “search theaters”. I found it in the entry for the Sunset.I used to go shopping in this area with my parents way back when, and it was a great place to go on a Friday or Saturday night. I remember a Woolworth, Davega appliances and a great toy store. We also used to go to the Times Square Store(TSS) on 4th av. and 61st, and the Robert Hall clothes shop across the street on 62th. st.

BoxOfficeBill
BoxOfficeBill on May 10, 2005 at 12:19 am

The Vanity: yes! That was there then, and likely the theater that I confused with the Sunset. If it was on the south-west corner of 5 and 56, then, yes, that was the Vanity.

Theaterat
Theaterat on May 9, 2005 at 10:13 pm

Box office Bill… I checked the “Sunset” in search theaters and came up with another theater on 5th. a. and 56th.st. in the Sunset Park area. It was owned by Interboro and it was called the “Vanity”.This may be the lost theater I vaugely remember from the early 60s.According to the entry, this theater had no air conditioning. Must have been like an inferno on a hot day.They probably charged a little less than average to get in.

Theaterat
Theaterat on May 9, 2005 at 10:10 pm

Theaterat
Theaterat on April 30, 2005 at 10:29 pm

Bklyn Rob….You ain"t missing anything!

BklynRob
BklynRob on April 30, 2005 at 9:02 pm

I recall as a kid taking the bus to the Alpine to see “Help” with the Beatles. It was a nice big single theatre then,now as a multiplex it is terrible. The last time I was there was about 1990 and it was very bad!I could hear the movie in the next theatre-the walls seemed paper thin.Also it was too small,dirty & very crowded. I never have gone back.

Theaterat
Theaterat on April 28, 2005 at 2:41 pm

Box Office Bill…..Gilda was rather sophisticated fare for a 4 year old, though the stage show sounded like fun! I was not weaned off Disney until I was 8 years old!

BoxOfficeBill
BoxOfficeBill on April 26, 2005 at 9:49 am

Here’s a photo of the Alpine in 1946. It comes from Brian Merlis and Lee A. Rosenzweig, “Brooklyn’s Bay Ridge and Fort Hamilton: A Photographic Journey” (Brooklyn: Israelowitz Publishing, 2000), p. 131.

The double feature on the marquee lists “Gilda” and “Blondie’s Lucky Day.” Since the Rita Hayworth classic opened at RCMH on 14 March of that year, the photo was likely shot in the following May.

The cranky kid at the extreme right could very well have been me, since I was approximately his age at the time, and defiantly in character. I would have been pestering my mom to take me to the Alpine, even though we had already seen the feature film some weeks earlier at Loew’s State, where it had moved after RCMH. At the State, “Gilda” was accompanied by a stage show that featured a memorable puppet act, the chief reason (I think) why my parents (bless their hearts) took me to see that steamy film (and people wonder why I behave the way I do).

jbels
jbels on April 25, 2005 at 2:50 pm

The Alpine showed a midnight preview of Carrie when they were showing Norman, Is That You?

BoxOfficeBill
BoxOfficeBill on April 23, 2005 at 1:19 pm

I just consulted Film Daily Year Book of 1950 again, and found that the Alben is indeed listed (I missed it because, in scanning the columns for a theater on 3 Ave, I failed to see its address printed off-center on the right side). Its address was 5406 3 Avenue (ergo between 54 and 55 Streets) and it held 447 seats. It is not listed in the FDYB of 1954, so it surely did not survive the introduction of widescreen in ‘53.

Theaterat
Theaterat on April 22, 2005 at 11:54 am

Box Office Bill… Yes, there were excellent Norsk delis, but only 3 or 4 remain. There even was a good restaurant called the Trondheim not too far away from the Park on 5th. Av. They had great herring and meatballs, not to mention the fresh cheese and breads. It too is history.There also was a great hobby shop called Stanleys on 4th.av near 49th.st. Remember going there with my friends, and building those great Aurora and Revell ship and plane models.

BoxOfficeBill
BoxOfficeBill on April 20, 2005 at 7:10 pm

Theaterat—

Yes— I’ve been following your postings on the Ratz, and have realized that the hole-in-the-wall on 3 Avenue in the 40’s could not have been named the Ritz. That’s was a curious conflation on my part, mixing two theaters in the 40’s, one on 3 Ave, the other on 8 Avenue. But I still retain their images as distinct in my mind’s eye.

Alben: I would never have recalled that name (it’s either cognate with the ancient name for Britain, “Albin” or “Alban,” or else it commemorates a partnership between two guys, Al and Ben? likely the latter, given that time and place). There’s no listing in the Film Daily Year Book of 1950 (I’m certain that it was still operating then).

I dimly recall the Center, but not the Berkshire. I’ll check on them in the Film Daily Year Book when I’m in the library. PhilPhil sounds up to speed on all of it. I moved from Brooklyn in the late 1960s, so have only a phantasized recall of it, enhanced by bookish data.

Ja, ja, ja, die 40’s verr a Nordisk neighborhood — great delicatessens, and a Norwegian language newspaper, Nordisk Tidende, printed on 63 Street and Ft. Hamilton Pkwy, no?

Theaterat
Theaterat on April 20, 2005 at 5:33 pm

Error Above…. The Park was not demolished ,the inside was gutted. The building still stands, and is a supermarket now.