Carolina Theatre

226 N. Tryon Street,
Charlotte, NC 28202

falonia
falonia on November 8, 2004 at 12:17 am

I was a theatre usher at the Carolina while the Sound of Music was showing in the early 60’s. All seats were reserved and it was a sell out every Friday and Saturday night. Being only sixteen I only knew the theatre was old but knew little of its history. I recall an old chaulkboard that listed the order of acts when there was live productions behind the stage. It was a Wilbur-Kincy theatre at the time and was nicknamed the “Queen of the Chain”. I worked for Kermit High who was a quiet but nice man. I didnt realized the area under the stage was the orchestra pit but if I recall the custodian lived there. His name was Charlie and he had been there forever. He got hit by a bus checking the marquee lights one afternoon. The lights were still individual bulbs in the sixties, there were hundreds of them.

We stole popcorn from the huge popper behind the stage between afternoon and evening performances. That was our dinner as we only made 85 cents an hour. Our blazers were burgundy and we wore bowties. I loved the balcony and usually seated the patrons there. I remember seating one older woman there in the very last row under the projection booth. She said “If there is a fire will you come and get me?” The other 499 people laughed loud and long.

Its a tragedy that this theatre is in such shape. A city with Charlotte’s resources should preserve it. If Nations can buy Bank of America and completely change the face of downtown why can’t they save this theatre. They owe it to the people of Charlotte.

Norman Hayes, Murphys Ca.

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on November 3, 2004 at 10:51 am

The architect of the Carolina Theatre was R.E. Hall & Co Inc., Architects & Engineers.

cclayton
cclayton on August 31, 2004 at 3:07 pm

Please note the organization that did the fundraiser is the Carolina Theatre Preservation Society.(501 c3 non-profit) We operate the web site mentioned above and we would like to hear from all the people who been posting comments on this page. Its important we work together to get the Carolina Theatre back to its orginal grandeaur.Contact Charlie Clayton at .com if you want to see this happen. We are getting much closer than you might think to making this happen. We need your help!!!!

UAGirl
UAGirl on December 16, 2003 at 11:28 am

Here is an excellent pictorial history of the theatre:

William
William on December 5, 2003 at 5:50 pm

The Charlotte Theatre is located at 226N. Tryon and it seated 1405 people when it was a movie theatre.

MurrayRosen
MurrayRosen on October 30, 2002 at 7:35 pm

I have taken a photograph of the marquee displaying the last movie to appear at the Carolina Theater.It was taken in the evening Title “Across 110th Street”

UAGirl
UAGirl on June 12, 2002 at 1:20 pm

The fund raiser was a huge success. Thanks to everyone that came out.

UAGirl
UAGirl on June 2, 2002 at 12:04 pm

There will be a fund raiser for the Carolina Theatre on June 8th, 2002.

Please follow this link for ticket details.

UAGirl
UAGirl on December 14, 2001 at 2:03 pm

I have watched many a parade from this same location and was not awar until several years ago that this is all that is left of this grand theatre.

You honestly cannot tell that it once was a grand movie house. As of today 12/14/01 there have been no more plans proposed about this historic Charlotte landmark.