Loew's Paradise Theatre

2413 Grand Concourse,
Bronx, NY 10468

movieguy
movieguy on July 16, 2008 at 7:22 pm

I talked to a rep at the box office today.He said that by tomorrow they will have a new schedule of shows. They will be some very big surprises in his words. See we will see hopefully they will offer some shows aimed at a more diverse population then the shows in the past.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on July 11, 2008 at 5:32 am

A lot of people have been wondering about “The Paradise Theater,” but the person has never responded to queries about his/her connection, if any, with the management.

Luisana
Luisana on July 11, 2008 at 1:21 am

Thanx Warren! I emailed Mr. Lopes. I’m just waiting for a reply. Is the person under the name “The Paradise Theater” an employee or staff member?

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on July 7, 2008 at 10:50 am

Was the Trey Songz concert of 6/27/08 ever held? Today at the Ticketmaster website, there’s a Trey Songz concert at the Paradise marked “TBA,” which means “time to be announced.” Could that be a postponement of the 6/27/08 concert, or an additional booking? The Paradise’s own “official website” is still not operating. I wonder if a visit to the site would find a “For Sale or Rent” sign on display?

theINDUSTRYnyc
theINDUSTRYnyc on July 1, 2008 at 10:58 am

Luisana Do you have an email I can send you the information you requested.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on July 1, 2008 at 6:01 am

You might try contacting Orlando Lopes, the director of the New York area chapter of Theatre Historical Society of America. His e-mail is

Luisana
Luisana on June 30, 2008 at 11:08 pm

Thanx Bear! I thought they would because the Loews Jersey theater does. Thanx Warren for your help. If I could only find a contact number.

beardbear31
beardbear31 on June 30, 2008 at 10:55 pm

yes they cater to weddings, as of the last time their website was functioning

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on June 30, 2008 at 1:10 pm

Luisana, before you do that, are you sure that they cater to weddings? I’ve never heard or read that they do. You might try phoning the Russian Tea Room in midtown Manhattan. I believe that it has a business connection with the Paradise, and might even be owned by the same people.

Luisana
Luisana on June 30, 2008 at 11:21 am

I’m going to have to swing by there to see if I see something. The site isn’t working and there is no contact info. Ahhh this sucks!

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on June 30, 2008 at 7:18 am

The photo number listed in the introduction is “not in service at this time.” I wonder if the Trey Songz concert scheduled for last Friday night was actually held? I haven’t seen any reviews of it yet.

Luisana
Luisana on June 30, 2008 at 2:21 am

Could someone please give me a contact number for the theatre. I’m getting married next year and would like to rent the place for this purpose. I would greatly appreciate the help.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on June 16, 2008 at 10:42 am

According to the internet, the Paradise will be presenting a “live” concert by Trey Songz on Friday night, June 27th, at 8:30 PM. Can’t wait!

theINDUSTRYnyc
theINDUSTRYnyc on June 5, 2008 at 7:13 am

The theater is going through changes. I believe this is why the site is temp. down

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on June 4, 2008 at 8:21 am

Any news on what’s happening here? The official website is still “out-of-order.”

roxy1927
roxy1927 on May 27, 2008 at 3:08 pm

The Paradise has a beautiful proscenium for movies and I would love to see cinemascope on that screen.
I thought they once were going to show WWS(though god knows that film needs a rest) with some of the cast members present.
Why would those involved not want to show movies there occasionally?
And the Jersey could use some help with their programming which at times can be strange though they have a good one coming up.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on May 27, 2008 at 1:52 pm

How do we know that the Paradise has found “a formula for success?” Based on the limited number of bookings since the theatre re-opened, I would guess that it hasn’t.

mp775
mp775 on May 27, 2008 at 1:43 pm

It’s up to the theater’s management to program what it thinks will fill the seats. Since the Paradise has been open for more than two years now, the “narrow” scope of programming and the community the building serves must be a formula for success. We would love to see classic films up on the big screen all the time, but when was the last time you saw capacity crowds on a regular basis at the Loew’s Jersey? We theater and film buffs are in the minority, and it’s $60-a-seat live events that will ultimately pay the bills. We should be thankful this place is restored and not torn down or turned into another Modell’s or Marshall’s.

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on May 22, 2008 at 9:42 am

That’s Bernie Williams, from the Yankee’s.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on May 22, 2008 at 8:07 am

A film clip from a salsa stage show at the Paradise can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlof7MAiP9k

RobertR
RobertR on May 22, 2008 at 5:52 am

The theatres official web site seems to be down

jpietri
jpietri on May 21, 2008 at 9:23 pm

yes, that is so true.my grandmother’s sister lives in washington heights and my cousin went to see annie lennox.the overwhelming majority of people that attended she told me were not the local great unwashed uncultured declasse hoodrats that inhabit the neighborhood.I'am sorry they destroy everything they touch or every neighborhood they go to.fordam road and washington heights were beautiful neighborhoods when they were jewish.Thank god i do not come from those low class type of latinos.enuff said.the theater is not to far from yankee stadium(On the same subway line).So that is probably a great idea.I would love to see old movies being played there.like at the loews jersey.

stevebob
stevebob on May 21, 2008 at 6:55 pm

Though situated in a poor neighborhood, the location of the Paradise has the advantage of proximity to two subway lines plus easy accessibility by car.

The exact same description can be applied to The United Palace (a/k/a Loew’s 175th Street), a venue of similar size and ambiance.

The crowds that have filled the United Palace to see Van Morrison, Annie Lennox and Neil Young weren’t drawn from its immediate vicinity. They traveled! Audiences for shows at the Paradise can, too.

jpietri
jpietri on May 21, 2008 at 5:51 pm

It is too bad that a theater like this is not in manhattan and stuck in a a neighborhod where people generally have no culture at all or an interest in a theater that would show film classics.The neighborhood is the main problem.Nothing against a neighborhood that is primarily Dominican.Believe me I know.I have asked many people around there in spanish(I'am puerto rican).You are talking about the great unwashed that live around there.It just seems to be the truth.I have seen people walk by that theater that could care lees about the treasure they have in their community.

Bwayniteowl
Bwayniteowl on May 18, 2008 at 10:30 pm

For those who manage the Paradise, it will be a difficult task to make it a success. In the trade it’s a type of theater known as “a barn.” A beautiful place but difficult to program for. There a several factors working against it even before you take into account the skills of the managers.
Size: 3800 seats is a tough room it fill.
Competition: More established spaces of similar size are plentiful. In mid sized cities you can program for a place this big because it’s the only one in town. Broadway tours can fill it for a couple of nights, concerts on week ends. There is a built in audience base. In NYC there are at least 50 houses in a 10 mile radius that provide either theatre or music on a regular basis.
Name recognition: People know the Garden, Radio City, the Beacon, Broadway. Loews Paradise, not so much. There’s a simple solution. Produce your own show on a regular basis with the theater’s name in the title and get out to as wide an audience as you can. internet, public access, cable.
The Paradise will need to find a niche and build an audience. The key to success will be getting audience members into the habit of going there. Studies find audience members will go to more events if they will go to the first one. If two different shows are playing across the street from each other you will find that they don’t compete against each other but rather complement each other. If an audience member is willing to go to one event, they are more likely to go out the next night to another event. They need variety.
If I were managing the place, I would try to reach out to the local artistic community and make the place available for a series of low cost events. In my youth, it would be a regular battle of the local bands. Local acts on a regular basis. Make your break even point filling the orchestra,close the balcony and make your profit on concessions. Read the article in this Sunday’s Times about programming for the New Victory. Look everywhere for new acts and give them an outlet. That is the road to success. Put butts in seats.