Loew's Valencia Theatre

165-11 Jamaica Avenue,
Jamaica, NY 11432

PKoch on September 14, 2007 at 12:39 pm

Congratulations, tomw9 !

Perhaps some members of CT can be of assistance with some old newspaper clippings of 50 years ago.

twhiteside
twhiteside on September 14, 2007 at 12:33 pm

My first visit to Lowe’s Valencia Theater Was 50 years ago today, Sept. 14,1957. Can you tell me what was playing that day?

twhiteside
twhiteside on September 14, 2007 at 12:32 pm

PKoch on August 9, 2007 at 10:36 am

Thanks, Panzer65.

Panzer65
Panzer65 on August 8, 2007 at 8:44 pm

My mother said this was the most beautiful theater she’s ever been to,the second is The RKO Madison.

PKoch on August 3, 2007 at 2:48 pm

Thanks, Warren. Your answer makes sense.

PKoch on August 3, 2007 at 1:21 pm

Thanks, Warren. Do you have any data on how the Depression affected Loew’s Valencia, and the other four “wonder” theaters, in their first few years ?

PKoch on July 17, 2007 at 12:50 pm

OK, we’ll move the rock n roll chat to the page for the Brooklyn Paramount, and the Wyckoff and Palmetto news stand talk to the Parthenon Theater page.

PKoch on July 17, 2007 at 11:58 am

Yes, Jack Tomai, Forrest J.Ackerman was indeed the editor of FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND magazine, also of MONSTER WORLD. I used to get them inside that little hole-in-the-wall news stand which is still there at the northern corner of Wyckoff and Palmetto under the el.
Yes, I think it cost 35 cents.

I wonder how many parents told their teenage daughters not to go to rock n roll shows because they could get pregnant at them ?

jacktomai
jacktomai on July 16, 2007 at 6:35 pm

Oh boy, PKoch, there ya go reminding me of something else from back in the day…FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND! I was addicted to that magazine. Wasn’t Forrest J.Ackerman the editor? Loved that magazine…couldn’t wait to buy it the minute it appeared each month in the local candy store! It think it cost 35 cents?
Re: rock n roll show dangers: I think it was more of a parent’s concern of large groups of teenagers, no matter what their race, congregating in a large venue embracing rock and roll and letting off all that steam together.

PKoch on July 16, 2007 at 5:49 pm

Thanks for your answer, Jack Tomai. You mention rock n roll shows were thought to be dangerous because of their mix of ethnicities. You mean black and white ? White kids digging black music ? I ask, because the Rolling Stones classic “Brown Sugar” is about inter-racial sex, and ironically uses a black man’s music (Chuck Berry’s) to sing an ode to white racism.

Ah yes … pot and the police adding to the excitement ! Who wants to see safe, legal Pat Boone, or Wayne Newton ?

“Yeah, we’ll have a party, but we gotta post a guard outside !”

• Eddie Cochran

“And when da police knocked, those doors flew back ! But they kept on rockin', goin' round and round ….”

• Chuck Berry, “Around and Around”

Yeah, a scary movie and rock ‘n roll : two quick bops to the nerves that feel good. Just like orgasm.

I saw CURSE OF THE DEMON at Film Forum, sometime from summer 1987 through 1989. I knew about it as a kid from “Famous Monsters Of Filmland” magazine.

Don’t know about rock ‘n roll at the Valencia.

jacktomai
jacktomai on July 16, 2007 at 5:25 pm

PKoch: Thanks for asking about the Rock n Roll shows at the old Bklyn Paramount. You asked why I said they were thought to be dangerous…well, I think primarily because it was a mix of ethnicities attending the shows. Also because there was occasionally the smell of pot in the air. I was only 11 thru 14 yrs old when I went to these shows with my older cousins so I really didn’t know what was going on. I just remember seeing some of my favorite record stars of the 50s and 60s performing. Alan Freed and Murray “the K” were usually the mc’s of these shows and some of the acts I remember seeing were The Shirrelles (a girl group famous prior to the
Supremes), Freddy Cannon (“Palisades Park”), the Angels (“My Boyfriend’s Back”) Johnny Tillotson (“Poetry in Motion), Gene Chandler ("The Duke of Earl”) among others. These shows were very cheap affairs with very little production values. Many of the acts actually lip-synched their records. But I recall them fondly as being very high-energy and exciting at the time. There was usually lots of dancing in the aisles and there was also visual police presence (which really added to the excitement of the show for a 13 year old kid!). I personally never encountered any trouble at these shows although my older cousin was involved in a skirmish at one of them later on.
Oftentimes, you could also see a movie before or after one of these shows. I remember seeing the terrific CURSE OF THE DEMON with Dana Andrews (which has since become something of a cinema classic)at the Bklyn Fox in addition to the Rock and Roll show. I think I was about 11 or 12 at the time and still remember it as a great event! A scary movie and rock and roll all together!
As I think back about these rock n roll shows, I seem to remember that Loew’s Valencia might have hosted a few rock n roll shows back then. Does anyone out there remember this?

PKoch on July 16, 2007 at 12:28 pm

Jack Tomai, I’m glad I brought back some great memories of yours when I mentioned A & S in downtown Bklyn. Please go on with your movie memories. You won’t bore me at all. I used to like the drum set at A & S in downtown Bklyn. One of my aunts, who was like a second mother to me, used to work there in the 1960’s.

I know about those downtown Bklyn movie palaces, but never saw a film there until a year and a day ago : Saturday, July 15, 2006, when I saw the original “Psycho” at the BAM Rose Cinema. Great !

My dad is more familiar with the downtown Bklyn movie palaces than I, having seen burlesque and Eddie Cantor at Loew’s Metropolitan.

What rock n roll performers did you see at the Bklyn Paramount, and in what way were rock n roll shows thought to be dangerous back then ? I can guess, but would like to read your own answer, in your own words.

Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones used to collect posters from the Deep South that were heavy against black music :

DON’T LET YOUR KID BUY NEGRO RECORDS ! SAVAGE STUFF ! IT WILL TWIST THEIR MINDS !

Little did they know …

Cue opening riff of “Johnny B. Goode” and the rest is history.

THE DAY THE WORLD ENDED and I MARRIED A MONSTER FROM OUTER SPACE are classic 50’s B movies right up my alley, though I’ve mostly seen them many years after their original release at Film Forum and Thalia Soho and Cinema Village in lower Manhattan.

roybarry
roybarry on July 13, 2007 at 10:43 pm

Can someone help me with photobucket? Every time I copy I can’t get in. If someone can give me a step by step procedure would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

jacktomai
jacktomai on July 13, 2007 at 5:49 pm

PKoch…oh man – you just brought back some great memories when you mentioned the A&S dept store in Bklyn. When I was a kid, my grandmother used to take me there all the time. She would go shopping and deposit me on the 8th floor of A&S which was the record, book and games dept. My favorite floor! They used to have a great selection of movie soundtracks. After shopping, my grandmother and I would go to one of the restaurants for a bite to eat. Very often we would then go to see a movie at one of the fantastic movie theatres in that area: Loew’s Metropolitan, RKO Albee, Bklyn Paramount, the Fox. We saw BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY’S at the Paramount (also as a teenager I saw a number of rock n roll shows there and at the Fox although I never told my parents cause it was thought to be dangerous to go to r n r shows at that time. Murray the K or Alan Freed hosted)and THE SEVEN LITTLE FOYS at the Albee and a double feature of THE DAY THE WORLD ENDED and I MARRIED A MONSTER FROM OUTER SPACE at the Met. I could go on and on but I won’t bore you. However if you remember A&S you must remember these incredible movie palaces downtown Brooklyn.

PKoch on July 13, 2007 at 5:40 pm

I know Baisley Pond Park, HeMan, but know nothing of the anti-aircraft weapons there. Makes sense, though.

Giovanni1937
Giovanni1937 on July 13, 2007 at 5:19 pm

I realize that is site is for movies only. But, I met a dude, who also went to the Valencia, who stated that during WWII there were anti-aircraft weapons in Baisley Park, Queens…intersection of Rockaway Blvd. and Sutphin Blvd.

Can anyone confirm this? Thanks. [Sorry for the interruption].

HeMan

PKoch on July 13, 2007 at 5:00 pm

“It came only in vanilla flavor, but you could have some chocolate or strawberry syrup drizzled into it at no extra charge.”

Thanks, Warren. That reminds me of “For Two Cents Plain” by Harry Golden, about getting a flavored soda for the two cent price of a plain seltzer.

PKoch on July 13, 2007 at 2:59 pm

Thanks, Warren and Jack Tomai.

I remember A & S in downtown Brooklyn on Fulton Street having a small, squarish, plain, inexpensive cafeteria in its basement, with yellowish walls, where I remember having a breaded veal patty with tomato sauce when I was eleven, in 1966, and a fancy restaurant on its fourth floor, where I had shrimp creole, which at the time (1962 or 63 when I was seven) tasted like heaven on a plate !

I remember a Chock Full O' Nuts on Jamaica Avenue (north side, I think)under the end of the el, the 168th Street station, from spring 1968, when I went there with my dad.

jacktomai
jacktomai on July 13, 2007 at 2:40 pm

Warren, thank you so much for your post…I have been racking my brains for years trying to think of the name of Teddy’s and not one person I mentioned it to could remember the place!!! What a relief to finally hear it! So often we would go there for a burger after a movie. And you are probably right about Junior’s. I remembered their great hot dogs and just assumed it was Nedick’s. Unfortunately,I don’t recall the Concord Cafeteria. Was it on the same side of Jamaica Avenue as the Alden?
Anyway, thanks so much for the Teddy’s reference.

jacktomai
jacktomai on July 13, 2007 at 1:30 pm

Does anyone recall a Nedick’s tucked into the corner of Jamaica Ave. directly next door to the Valencia? I remember my Dad stopping there with me for a hot dog and orange drink before or after we would see a movie at the Valencia. I’m talking late 50s/early 60s.
By the way, I remember Gertz clearly as my future sister-in-law used to work there as a waitress in their coffee shop. Does anyone remember when department stores used to have their own restaurants? Speaking of coffee shops, does anyone remember Louie’s Coffee Shop on, I believe 164th St off Jamaica Ave? I went to Delehanty High School in the 60s and our crowd always hung out at Louie’s before class, at lunchtime and after school every day. Paula was the waitress back then – red bee-hive hairdo and a great gal.

almcgrath
almcgrath on July 12, 2007 at 1:56 am

No, PKoch, I am definitely not related to Steely Dan’s Pretzel Logic, but Sutphin Blvd is familiar to me, having grown up in the Richmond Hill/Jamaica border. I saw the martial arts movie at the Valencia when it was in full throttle decline, for sure. If it closed for good in 1977, then it must have been 1977 that I saw the movie at Valencia. I don’t remember the goldfish reflecting pool, but I do remember torn theater seats, a somewhat dangerous element in the audience, and the distinct smell of maryjane (no offense to anybody who’s into that stuff, but I’m not.) I only remember one line from the movie — some Australian martial arts character had just killed off another character by throwing a round, metal serrated disc at his head. And then he said in a thick Australian accent, “Thank God for Black & Decker.” For some reason my friends thought this was the most hilarious thing they’d ever heard and they said this sentence for weeks and weeks afterwards. The rest of the movie was forgettable but the experience stuck in my mind because I had never been inside such a gorgeous, “atmospheric” movie theater, and probably never will be again, unfortunately, now that we have these boxy multiplexes with screens smaller than a TV dinner. I really feel cheated that other than that one time, I didn’t experience a real movie palace, along with ice cream/soda fountain places, unless you consider Jahn’s Ice Cream Parlor in Queens, but that was already commercialized, not like the fanciful, castle-like ice cream parlors of old that used to exist (as described by my mother in law).

LuisV
LuisV on July 11, 2007 at 8:18 pm

Warren, thanks for the goldfish stories! The Valenica was the only theater I ever went to that had goldfish in their fountain. I remember it so clearly. My junior high school graduation was held at The Valencia in June of 1973. Warren, were you tending the fish then?

On another note, I don’t remember there being a Gimbels either. I think that might have been mentioned in that article in error.

LuisV
LuisV on July 11, 2007 at 3:46 pm

Thanks Lost Memory for that Jamaica link! Great info. Where was the Gimbels store? I know where Montgomery Wards, Macy’s and Mays were, but not Gimbels. I think I also remember WT Grants which I’m pretty sure was a department store that went bankrupt in the 70’s. Robert Hall (a large mens wear store) was also in Jamaica before also going bankrupt. It’s little wonder the Valencia was not able to hold on with everything falling apart around it.

PKoch on July 11, 2007 at 12:43 pm