Empire Cinema

5-6 Leicester Square,
London, WC2H 7NA

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on October 11, 2007 at 5:10 am

When I was visiting London in April, workers were doing something in the back, entering opposite the Prince Charles theater. I think they were installing the movie theater chain HQ and/or other offices in the upper reaches of the Empire? One told me there was decoration in there. Perhaps from 1928 from original auditorium/balcony?

andysummers on August 11, 2007 at 3:33 pm

Well I wouldn’t know I’ve only been attending the Empire since September 13th 1989.

hanksykes
hanksykes on August 11, 2007 at 1:12 pm

The London Empire 1928 by Thomas Lamb and John Meacham was a very close copy of the E.F.Albee Theatre of 1927 in Cincinnati, Ohio. The frontage of each were duplicates and their entrance lobbies were identical. Long live the original Empire Theater.

Ian
Ian on August 11, 2007 at 11:37 am

Here is a 1988 shot of the Empire:–

andysummers on July 29, 2007 at 4:28 am

Transformers what a load of bollocks!

After getting of the shock of missing DIE HARD in THX and after sitting though another gruelling Michael Bay load of loud nonsense that made no sense to duologue intelligibility not when its spoken a fast paces where you’d need at least a few moments for it to settle down instead you end up listening to cacophony of dialogue that overlaps and overlaps into sheer load of loud Michael Armageddon bollocks Bay up there on the screen!

Yes this is the worse film I have even sat though since Pearl Harbor 2001, I’m never going to see anymore of his trash load of bollocks until he can really prove he can make a film that makes sense without fast dialogue, I mean really what is the rush if the film is 153minuts at least pace the dialogue slowly.

The sound system at the Empire was great 10/10 but would never do justice to Michael Bay, I feel sorry for Kevin O’Connell, as I don’t see him winning an award for this but sometime fate as a strange way of twisting things around for the better who knows he might, maybe?

I only have a few Michael Bay films on DVD The Rock Armageddon but that’s as far as it goes I might, might buy Transformers on DVD the very least rent it for sound test on my JBL THX sound system later in the year or when even it comes out, hell I’m not going to lose any sleep over it. Armageddon!

andysummers on July 29, 2007 at 3:22 am

Empire Leicester Square 3

andysummers on July 27, 2007 at 9:31 am

The rest of the mighty Crown amplifiers are housed behind the THX baffle with cable runs travelling down from the booth so all the control is handled from there, booth surround amplifiers are housed in the booth.

andysummers on July 27, 2007 at 9:13 am

I was sat in the front row along with a new friend who overheard my name while calling on the intercom and was rather surprised to see me there has he’s only read a few posts on different forums sites where I have shown great interest in the Empire and the THX sound system program.

I measured nearly 120dbc on the SPL db metre towards the final battle with transformers transforming the streets into a battle zone, it was right at a point where the sound all the mid and highs where faded down and the mighty JBL 4645C cluster array of x16 dropped down mighty DEEP!!!

andysummers on July 27, 2007 at 9:08 am

Yes I was hoping to see DIE HARD in THX yesterday, well I didn’t know ity was only on for three-weeks so does anyone have some rope? LOL just kidding I was given a brief tour of Empire screen ones booth yesterday morning before the first show started. The booth is mega and totally untouchable!

bwales
bwales on July 25, 2007 at 2:18 pm

Has anyone recently seen a film in Empire 1 (Screen 1)?.
Last Saturday I visited the Empire to see “Transformers”, although the Auditorium was fairly busy it lacked the Empire Cinema I knew a few years ago!.

There were No Adverts, just a few Trailers with a Bottom Black line on the screen and NO Logo/Intro/THX anywhere and can you belive it on the Feature change from the Trailers to the main film the Tabs were left open and you just sat in the Dark watching the Masking go out to scope!!.

Where is the Presentation gone these days?, I was told later that it was now Company Policy to present it this way (?), shame on them and what a high Ticket price of £13.00 for a poor West End Cinema experience.

Still a great Cinema, but poor Screen Presentation……

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on July 25, 2007 at 7:18 am

I posted something on the Odeon West End page some time ago. I’ve read on the Internet that Odeon West End to be demolished for a hotel. Cinema preservationists suggested they’d like to keep the facade, but I haven’t read that has been determined yet.

AdoraKiaOra
AdoraKiaOra on July 25, 2007 at 7:06 am

It was called ‘Leicester Square Theatre’ then. A much nicer name than ‘Odeon West End’

AdoraKiaOra
AdoraKiaOra on July 25, 2007 at 7:05 am

Wow! What do you mean by ‘replacment’. I was manager there back in the 80s and always thought it would close and be redeveloped. Id be interestd in what you know.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on July 25, 2007 at 6:16 am

Andy,
Thanks for finding that wonderful photo of the dazzling marquee (your first ecoustics link above).
As to utube, I hope more people can film (and post on utube or somewhere) vintage movie theater auditoriums while they are still here. The Odeon West End is slated for replacement, and I’d love to see a short film of the 2 auditoriums & the foyer section with the photos of people throughout the years who have visited.

andysummers on July 24, 2007 at 11:33 pm

Found this Youtube Video of the famous Empire Leicester Square screen 1 yeah this is where I’ll be popping up to sometime soon for DIE HARD JBL 56KW THX sound power!

andysummers on July 20, 2007 at 9:43 pm

Now this did catch the eyes attention it was glittery dazzling like the stars that are placed above the screen in Empire #1.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on July 20, 2007 at 7:45 pm

Prior marquee seen lit up a little bit in my Oct 2005 photo:

It lit up much, in changing different colors.

Looking at the photos that Ian posted above (which indicate to me that new marquee is boring) it doesn’t appear new marquee lights up? Is that at least a balcony people can stand enter from inside the theater?

andysummers on July 20, 2007 at 7:02 pm

I don’t like the typeface that the designer used as anyone got a bullet please! Bring back the late 1980’s look that rocked.

AdoraKiaOra
AdoraKiaOra on July 20, 2007 at 6:07 am

Well i remember ages ago the reports were that they were going to put up a more traditional new marquee. I do like this one even tho it doesnt look that exciting, its 100% better than what they ve just rippedd down. Thanks for the pics Ian. I’ll be in town tomorrow and will take a proper look.

Ian
Ian on July 20, 2007 at 5:43 am

A couple of recent exteriors so you can judge for yourself about the new look marquee:–

andysummers on July 20, 2007 at 4:25 am

Here’s a nice but rather rare occasion to see the director and stars from of Apollo 13 at the CIC Empire Leicester square.

andysummers on June 17, 2007 at 1:37 pm

Also I heard from the (Team Leader) at the EMPIRE, who I was speaking to on the phone last Friday night that the new look outside looks fantastic!

andysummers on June 17, 2007 at 1:36 pm

Well I’m looking forwards to travailing up to London on 11th July for DIE HARD LIVE FREE in THX and 56KW of JBL sound power sounds too tempting, see you there in the early hours of the morning.

andysummers on June 10, 2007 at 9:01 am

I see, well I think it should be left alone why change perfection.

AdoraKiaOra
AdoraKiaOra on June 6, 2007 at 7:41 am

I may be wrong but i hope im not- the auditorium is a listed building.