Nortown Theater

6320 N. Western Avenue,
Chicago, IL 60659

dyban
dyban on June 19, 2007 at 11:00 pm

Would someone in Chicago please take some photographs?

Bing00
Bing00 on June 19, 2007 at 8:37 pm

I saw the bulldozers inside this past week. It’s going, going, gone.
Just sad.

Nortown
Nortown on June 17, 2007 at 8:40 pm

I drove by the Nortown last night and the theater is still standing. Of course the exterior looks terrible with the missing marquee and boarded up front. I did drive through the alley behind the theater and there is a fence along the back of the building with a tarp attached to the fence so that nobody can peer through the fence. I do have to say that it depresses me to go by the Nortown and the neighborhood in general. The other retail establishments in the area are stunningly decrepit. I can remeber a time when the retail owners took pride in their storefronts and kept the sidewalks around Devon and Western clean.

Batwoman
Batwoman on June 13, 2007 at 6:40 pm

that just sucks!

I’m going to have to drive by there next Thursday when I go to my brother’s house.

mbrewer
mbrewer on June 13, 2007 at 4:38 pm

After years of neglect and decay, a permit for demolition of the Nortown Theater was issued on June 7. Driving by this morning, it appeared that work has already begun.

The developer’s plans call for construction of a five story condo and commercial building in its place. Unlike the high quality brick masonry construction going up throughout the city, this project will be primarily painted cast-in-place concrete. Although the development will include parking for the condos (just under one space per unit), it will not provide any parking for the commercial space due to a generous manipulation of the zoning requirements by Alderman Stone.

Another sad day in the 50th Ward of Chicago.

Bartonius84
Bartonius84 on April 27, 2007 at 6:51 pm

I was born and raised in the 6700 block of Artesian, just blocks from the Nortown. As a young boy, I began going to the Saturday or Sunday Matinee many weeks of the year beginning about 1952 or so.

There was the House of Wax in 3D, Charge at Feather River, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, High and the Mighty with John Wayne, and dozens more. The Matinee would start with two cartoons, followed by two feature films lasting almost to suppertime.

Ma gave me 50 cents: 25 cents for admission, 10 cents for popcorn, 5 cents for candy, and ten cents “emergency” money for a phone call or busfare. I remember using that “emergency” money often on a Holloway bar or Chuckles.

Does anyone remember “George’s”, the candy store one door south of the Nortown. George was a short happy man, I believe of Greek descent, always smiling. On nice weather days, he would roll the popcorn machine out front of the store. His popcorn was always better than the candy counter. It was hot and fresh, 10 cents, 2 cents more for extra butter.

The Nortown and Devon Avenue of the 1950’s and early 60’s bring back memories of good times.

ctd
ctd on April 16, 2007 at 4:05 am

My fondest memory of the Nortown is from when I saw the premiere of “Superman” in ‘78 – sitting in that beautiful theater, holding a glow-in-the-dark Kryptonite rock that my father bought at the ticket counter.

I’m new to the site, and I really enjoyed reading the comments and checking out the many links to pics of the Nortown.

CatherineDiMartino
CatherineDiMartino on April 3, 2007 at 5:42 am

Cinemaven—You may be thinking of the United Artists Theatre. That had the ABC logo on it and before that the Balaban & Katz logo.

Nortown
Nortown on March 4, 2007 at 8:19 pm

I just had a recollection (one of many) from my days (and nights) working at the Nortown, both as an usher and a relief manager. When you first passed the ticket taker and turned into the first auditorium entrance on the right, you were at a single row of seats on the right side. The next row of seats was somewhat far forward of this first row. The theatre was built at a time when seating for wheelchairs was not taken into consideration. However, when the occasional theatre patron (as we called the people who bought a ticket) in a wheelchair came in, we would direct him or her to this row of seats. There was plenty of room so that the person did not even have to get out of the wheelchair to watch the movie. Also, I started calling this row of seats the “executives' row”. We would take our breaks there and sometimes sit and eat food from the McDonalds or Pepe’s Tacos that were on Devon Avenue just east of Western. Those were the days!

mp775
mp775 on January 5, 2007 at 3:54 am

The building isn’t for sale; the owner has already submitted plans to the City for demolition. The new six-story development will have 70 condominium units, 67 parking spaces and (drum roll, please) a two-screen movie theater for Bollywood films. There is no evidence of demolition work yet.

According to the Nortown Theater ‘blog, there actually was a fire in the building on August 9.

Paul Fortini
Paul Fortini on December 31, 2006 at 4:52 am

Any news on this theatre? Has it been sold? Will it be demolished?

DimitriusStrong
DimitriusStrong on December 17, 2006 at 11:34 pm

I’m sorry, I believe the theater I’m recalling was downtown Chicago and it was across the street from the theater that had the “ABC” logo on the outside of it. The interior looks alot like the Nortown. I was very young back then so I think the memory of the theater I’m thinking of resembled the Nortown alot since it had the upper balcony section and huge lobby area. Can anyone tell me which theater I’m trying to recall?

DimitriusStrong
DimitriusStrong on December 17, 2006 at 11:28 pm

Waitaminute, I must be thinking of the wrong theater here…

DimitriusStrong
DimitriusStrong on December 16, 2006 at 2:04 pm

Alot of my memories of early childhood date back to this beautiful theater. In fact, this is the very theater that got me interested in the art that is theater architecture and movie houses in general. On weekends my mother and I would take the ‘EL’ from Evanston all the way to downtown Chicago, pick up some Garrett’s popcorn and hit the movie theater strip. At the Nortown I can remember seeing the films Creepshow, Cujo, Beverly Hills Cop and a few others back in the day. I now live in Texas and thanks to this website and Mr. Russell Phillip’s masterful photography that re-awakened my interest in the subject of these theaters and their history.

mp775
mp775 on November 22, 2006 at 8:15 am

Or the owner told the reporter there was a fire.

Batwoman
Batwoman on November 20, 2006 at 4:40 pm

Sounds like it to me.

Broan
Broan on November 20, 2006 at 4:39 pm

Part of me thinks the reporter just lazily equated the board-up with a fire.

Batwoman
Batwoman on November 20, 2006 at 4:23 pm

The only fire I can think of that was anywhere near Nortown was across the street in June of 91. I remember it was at 3 AM the morning I graduated from high school. I had been up late on the phone and woke up right before my sister ran into my room. I saw the light from behind the house (coming from the alley) and she then called 911 and woke me up. Our call was the only one that made it to 911 because the fire took out the phone lines. I don’t remember if we ever found out the truth but there was rumors that someone planted a small explosive to set the garage/store behind our building on fire.

That is the only fire I have ever heard of close to the theater.

supercharger96
supercharger96 on November 20, 2006 at 2:44 pm

I stop by there fairly frequently and the plywood wasn’t there one weekend and it was there the next with no evidence of fire, no smell of fire, and no scorch marks anywhere.
It sounds suspicious to me. Very, very suspicious.
Didn’t the Regal here in Chicago finally wind up getting knocked down after a suspicious fire in the late 70’s?

mp775
mp775 on November 20, 2006 at 6:18 am

Every doorway has been sealed over with plywood. It’s over.

There is no evidence of fire damage from the outside.

Batwoman
Batwoman on November 5, 2006 at 4:41 pm

I have no clue. I’ve never heard of any fires there, and I moved out of our old place (on claremont) and up here 10 years ago.

Batwoman
Batwoman on November 5, 2006 at 4:21 pm

I would love to see them Nortown.

Nortown
Nortown on November 5, 2006 at 4:18 pm

Hi Brian:
I just responded on the Will Rogers Theatre thread. I need to dig out my photos from when I worked at the Nortown, scan them, and post them.