Showing 126 - 150 of 35,615 comments
As Joe already posted, the Strand was formerly the Yale Theatre. In 1910 and probably even earlier, the Strand/Yale Theatre was known as the Empire Theatre. An October 6, 1912 ad for the Yale Theatre, states “Formerly the Empire”.
An item in the June 16, 1915 edition of the Tulsa Daily World states that the Yale Theatre is closed and will re-open on June 25th with a new name. That is most likely when the name was changed to Strand. The Strand is advertising motion pictures in July of 1915. All three theatre names had an address of 117 South Main Street. The Strand Theatre is listed in the 1949 Film Daily Yearbook with 320 seats.
Interior view of the Follies Theatre.
Published on June 16, 1915.
Published on October 6, 1912.
The Palace Theatre located on 4th Street in Hobart, Oklahoma opened on January 2, 1914. The following was published in the Hobart Republican on January 1, 1914.
F. C. Thompson has just completed his new playhouse, the Palace Theatre, which is situated on Fourth street between Bolon Brothers and Moores & Cauldwell, and tomorrow night is the date set for the formal opening.
Everything is new and up to date, and Mr. Thompson is now looking forward to packed houses every night.
Published on December 12, 1918.
The Pilot Theatre is listed in the 1931 Film Daily Yearbook with 300 seats. Not listed in 1932.
Here is a website for the Crystal Theatre.
This webpage has a photo of a Howard Theatre in Lebanon, Tennessee.
The Varsity should have a previous name of Garden Theatre.
Published on February 1, 1929.
The Palace Theatre is listed in a 1944 telephone directory at 1445 East 14th Street.
The Strand Theatre in Newport, Kentucky is listed in the 1951 Film Daily Yearbook with 803 seats.
The Garden Theatre was built in 1917 and the Marlboro Civic Center opened in November of 1995 according to the Marlboro Civic Center website.
A 1922-23 Bloomsburg street and business directory lists a Victoria Theatre at 47 East Main Street. Was the Victoria Theatre an earlier theatre at this location before the Capitol Theatre was built?
Published on April 5, 1923.
Penn Square Theatre-1914.
This theatre should have a previous name of Pastime Theatre. The Pastime Theatre was remodeled and opened as the Folly Theatre in December of 1917.
Published in the Drumright Evening Derrick on December 21, 1917.
The Folly theater, formerly the Pastime, under the management of Harry LeVan, acting for the Barbour agency, has undergone complete remodeling and now has the appearance of an up to date theater. A new floor has been laid, the ceiling newly plastered, seats rearranged, new scenery installed and the building well heated.
The Folly will be run strictly as a tab theater, although good pictures will be shown in connection with the shows. Jewell’s Golden Jubilee company will play a week’s engagement at the Folly, with a complete change of program each day.
Moving Picture World July-Sept. 1914.
According to the Moving Picture World, the Palace Theatre opened in March of 1914. I uploaded the picture and the text from the article.
The 1957 Film Daily Yearbook lists a 400 seat Clinton Park Theatre at 2920 Luell Street.
No specific name is given, but an Opera House is listed for Wilson, Kansas in the 1935 Film Daily Yearbook with 250 seats.