TCL Chinese Theatre

Hollywood,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Showing 151 - 175 of 1,495 comments

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on September 27, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Hello From NYC-

aside from the hoopla about the Chinese re-opening has there been much talk in the press about the 3-D IMAX The Wizard of Oz? the film opened last Fri.9/20 at 2 of the 3 IMAX screens in Manhattan with no publicity whatsoever.

Robert_G_Kelley
Robert_G_Kelley on September 26, 2013 at 12:09 am

One final post from me tonight, I am sure if they really wanted to put in a screen as tall as Metreon or Lincoln square they could have, but it would have come at a huge cost, the loss of the beautiful historic architecture.

I think what the chinese has now is the best of both worlds You have all the historic beauty intact and an incredibly large screen, and a return of great movies to the chinese and great crowds for shows playing in the middle of the week.

with 15/70 going bye bye there is no need for a taller screen than what they put in.

I am sure some will disagree, but thats my outlook on it.

Robert_G_Kelley
Robert_G_Kelley on September 25, 2013 at 11:59 pm

its funny when you call up and ask Citywalk the management refuses to say how big the screen is, I have called several times to ask and I get the same we don’t know response or we are not permited to say.

Robert_G_Kelley
Robert_G_Kelley on September 25, 2013 at 11:57 pm

Hdtv I think the numbers you found for the Metreon are off a bit,
The Lincoln Square IMAX is actually bigger than the Metreon not the other way around.

Robert_G_Kelley
Robert_G_Kelley on September 25, 2013 at 11:55 pm

for the heck of it I asked about the screen today when I went to watch OZ. I was told the dimensions of the screen is 14.07m x 28.98m and that the full screen will not be completely used until the laser projection comes next year, thats why you have several feet of masking on both sides presently.

the dimensions I was told (and listed above) when you translate meters to feet indicate 46 ft tall and 95 feet wide

RogerA
RogerA on September 25, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Yes Chris some segments of some films are shot in 15/70 making the segments that are not shot in 15/70 stand out all the more but most of the IMAX shows are from originals with a much lower resolution than 15/70! I watched an IMAX film at Universal and the grain was so big is was distracting.

hdtv267
hdtv267 on September 25, 2013 at 12:10 pm

My apologies for not adding CityWalk and Rave. I found a photo a while back of the 98 boxes of film for the Hobbit in 3D IMAX. Looked like an amazingly daunting task.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on September 25, 2013 at 11:55 am

Therein lies the issue with 15/70. As sprawling as it is to look at, it is CUMBERSOME to operate. I thought I read somewhere that the reels for any given 15/70 print weigh as much as 6,000 POUNDS for a 2 ½ movie. I saw some You Tube video when TDKR was released that showed the painstakingly long process it took to take all of its reels and prep them for play in an IMAX projector. IIRC, it was a 3 day process.

Mark_L
Mark_L on September 25, 2013 at 10:47 am

No studio movies were filmed completely in 15/70, but TITANICA (95 minutes) and AT THE MAX (89 minutes) were feature length. Biggest problem was having feed & take-up platters large enough to handle such large pictures.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on September 25, 2013 at 10:11 am

AHA! HDTV has solved the mystery. Chinese is the 3rd WIDEST…but Lincoln Square, Meteron, Rave, Citywalk are all TALLER. Way, way TALLER! Trickery with numbers. :)

RogerA: As everyone knows, segements of some IMAX feature films were shot in 15/70 – most famously “The Dark Knight” & “The Dark Knight Rises.” “Mission: Impossible- Ghost Protocol” & most recently “Star Trek Into Darkness” are on the list. The upcoming “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire” also has some IMAX camera shot sequences. So will Christopher Nolan’s “Interstellar” coming in 2014. But there has never been an entire film shot in 15/70 IMAX.

RogerA
RogerA on September 25, 2013 at 6:52 am

Has there ever been a feature film shot in 15/70? Most of the IMAX films are blow ups anyway.

hdtv267
hdtv267 on September 25, 2013 at 2:27 am

Sad news about 15/70 going away totally.

Here’s some numbers….

Chinese Theatre IMAX is 90' x 46'
Lincoln Square IMAX is 76' x 97'
Metreon IMAX is 80' x 100'

Robert_G_Kelley
Robert_G_Kelley on September 25, 2013 at 12:38 am

*Metreon (got to love auto correct lol)

Robert_G_Kelley
Robert_G_Kelley on September 25, 2013 at 12:37 am

Chris you are right there was an article a few months back where one of the IMAX execs said by the end of 2014 that 15/70 IMAX projection would be no more ANYWHERE. And there was another article stating that The Smithsonian will be converting from 15/70 film IMAX to Laser IMAX come Jan 2014. SO i would wager your predictions about Rave and Citywalk are correct.

Robert_G_Kelley
Robert_G_Kelley on September 25, 2013 at 12:35 am

I just want to point out, everything I have read the theatre management and IMAX never claimed the screen was the biggest in the world. Pretty sure they have been saying seating capacity wise in pretty much all of the news releases and stories. And they have mentioned over and over (both the theatre and IMAX) that Lincoln square and The Meteron are bigger screens.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on September 24, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Mark: Technically, we won’t see the “full length of the screen being used” till the Lasers come next year. Till then, the screen will indeed be masked on the sides. Which probably explains why the blogger who went to the WOZ premiere stated that the screen was 61 feet wide.

Lastly – to put the IMAX/LieMax argument to bed, all signs point to them abandoning 15/70 projection and those 6 story tall screens. Don’t know how far they’ll go, but don’t be surprised if word gets out that Rave and Citywalk are “temporarily closed for remodeling” next year.

KramSacul
KramSacul on September 24, 2013 at 5:18 pm

I agree. It’s a visually impressive screen but not IMAX in shape or vertical height.

I was very impressed with The Hobbit trailer showing in 2.35:1. Just awesome to see the full length of the screen being used and the 3D was very clear and not dim like you see at Arclight. I hope they actually mask the top and bottom and not leave it empty when wide films play there.

Cliffs
Cliffs on September 24, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Chris, Thank you. That was the point I was trying to make about a month ago but was chided as attacking the Chinese. I didn’t see how you could fit a traditional IMAX screen (like those found at Rave, Citywalk or Lincoln Square) in the Chinese and the fact was they couldn’t. They installed most of the width but without the most of the height. It’s a fantastic IMAX for the future (probably the best), but it’s not a traditional 6 story 1.43:1 IMAX venue.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on September 23, 2013 at 1:30 pm

More articles about the renovation.

A site called THE DISSOLVE: http://tinyurl.com/ok3zr2q

Curbed LA: http://tinyurl.com/nxrh6pm

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on September 23, 2013 at 1:15 pm

OK…time for honesty. It’s not their BIGGEST screen. For some strange reason, IMAX is disowning their original 6 story tall screens. Every SoCal area member of this site knows Rave, Citywalk and Irvine Spectrum are bigger than Chinese. And our NYC area friends will cosign that Lincoln Square is bigger too.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on September 23, 2013 at 12:18 pm

The most famous theater in the world now has the most famous imax theater in the world and the biggest screen.

RogerA
RogerA on September 23, 2013 at 11:59 am

They used the curtain, nice.

RobertAlex
RobertAlex on September 23, 2013 at 10:52 am

This seems to be paying of for the TCL Chinese. The theater had the highest grossing auditorium for the country this weekend!

“The Chinese gross for “Oz” marks the highest of any film this weekend for a single theater, though higher-priced Imax tickets certainly goosed grosses, as well as anticipation for the renovated theater, which now is the largest Imax theater in the world.”

RobertAlex
RobertAlex on September 23, 2013 at 10:38 am

I also went this weekend, Sat 430, and I have to agree with most everything Chris mentioned above. It is absolutely beautiful. The Stadium seating is a bit steeper then I had thought, and the accessible aisle in the middle of the auditorium is right where the best seating should be……..but aside from that….Gorgeous. The picture itself was amazing. The 3D just worked and was not gimmicky at all. It still feels as if you are in a grand theater from days gone by.

The seats are not as wide as Arclight, but there is way more leg room and they recline a bit. There was about 600 or so people, with everyone applauding, booing the witch and clapping throughout the film’s run time. It was so special to see this many people in the auditorium…last time I have seen this many (aside from the TCM festivals) people here for a screening was when Titanic came out.

There was no masking for our showing either, but when the film ended, the curtains did close. It took a few minutes for them to shut, and when they did, people CLAPPED…clapping for curtains! I was in dork heaven.

RUN and see movie here. For the first time in forever I felt as if I got my moneys worth for a 3D showing.

RogerA
RogerA on September 23, 2013 at 10:31 am

Chris, I agree that for $20 a seat the management shouldn’t be running ads but there could be some contractual thing where they must. It would be much nicer and give the place some class to go old school with the music and curtain but alas showmanship almost dead (still alive at the El Capitan). I want to thank all of you for the updates it saves me I trip into the city to check it out myself. I went to the “buy a ticket” site for the Chinese Theater and it requested credit card information before it let me select a seat. Yes it gives a chance to cancel if you don’t like the seat. I was just curious how well the site worked and didn’t buy a ticket. The Arclight site let’s you select a seat before entering the credit card info. Members might not have to do that step.