Ziegfeld Theatre

141 West 54th Street,
New York, NY 10019

Showing 151 - 175 of 3,935 comments

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on January 3, 2013 at 10:21 pm

“The plot is preposterous and the story nonsensical”

I can see not liking a movie or a play, but ridiculing the premise of one of the greatest classic works of all time is a bit much.

By the way, the 1934 French version which recently ran on TCM is four and a half hours long and I was not bored for a minute.

LuisV
LuisV on January 3, 2013 at 10:07 pm

I was bored to tears. The plot is preposterous and the story nonsensical. Russell Crowe’s voice was awful. The big surprise for me was how wonderful the actress who played Eponine was. For the record, I did not like to Broadway production either and I saw the original cast back in the late 80’s. Also, for the record, I have seen Chicago, Phantom, Mamma Mia, Dreamgirls, Grease, Sweeney Todd, etc at The Ziegfeld and they were all FAR better than Les Mis but that is only my opinion. Lots of other people like it, but I’ve been pleasantly surprised how many people completely agree with me. LOL! p.s. Dreamgirls, hands down, best movie experience for me at the Ziegfeld of any movie musical. It was something I will never forget including three standing ovations during the standing room only crowd.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on January 3, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Hobbit les mis and zero dark thirty

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on January 3, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Bigjoe the thing was you are so involved in the movie that you don’t want to get up. I think i saw 2 people the whole time get up. I domiss the days of intermissions. Almosrt all of the big Christmas movies this year are way over 2 hours.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on January 3, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Hello-

it interesting even people i know who like the film if they have any negative comment per se is that they thought it was a tad long. haven’t they ever seen a stage production?

also there have been countless films in the past say 15 years that were huge box office hits and were longer than “Les Miz”. so if the only negative comment per se that people have about the film is its length i find that interesting.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on January 3, 2013 at 6:31 pm

It didn’t have an intermission here in Asheville NC either. I loved the movie but it was a long time to sit.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on January 3, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Perhaps Raysson made that up as something we can dream for the Ziegfeld?

AdoraKiaOra
AdoraKiaOra on January 2, 2013 at 11:44 pm

It certainly wasn’t screened with any extras this afternoon, 2nd Jan 2013. Very, very disappointing presentation. ….and the movie itself wasn’t up to much either!!! Flagship cinemas should give an audience an experience, this afternoon I could have been in any shopping mall multiplex, from ticket kiosk all the way through to the screening!

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on January 2, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Hello-

i am totally confused my raysson’s comment.
at what theater or theaters are they showing the
film with overture,intermission and exit music?

its certainly not at the Ziegfeld.

mhvbear
mhvbear on January 2, 2013 at 6:55 pm

They certainly were not showing it at the 2:45 show on 12/31/2012.

Edward Havens
Edward Havens on January 2, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Al, I think the “exclusivity” Raysson was referring to was that most theatres playing Les Miz do not have reserved seating nor have a print complete with full overture, intermission or exit music. But then, one has to wonder where all these extra goodies are placed in the film, if Mr. Hooper had any say in the creation and execution of said special print, and why Clearview doesn’t even advertise such a thing on their own website or why I cannot find anything about this special print anywhere on the world wide web.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on January 2, 2013 at 5:55 pm

“LIFE OF PI” was showing here on December 24. What exclusive reserved seat engagement are you referring to?

raysson
raysson on January 2, 2013 at 5:46 pm

“Les Miserables” was one of two theatres in the country that opened as an exclusive reserved seat engagement complete with full overture,intermission,and exit music at New York’s Ziegfeld Theater. Everybody else got the general release for Christmas Day,2012.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on January 2, 2013 at 5:42 am

Starting to sound like the old Victoria. (Maybe Clearview should just rename it the Embassy and be done with it!)

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on January 2, 2013 at 3:52 am

Odd that marquee wouldn’t be nicely decorated since the New York premiere of the movie was held here. I’ve now posted my photo from August of The Bourne Legacy, which I saw here, without curtain. Is Les Mis marquee decor simpler than Bourne Legacy marquee? just plain gold letters then.

LuisV
LuisV on January 1, 2013 at 11:45 pm

I saw the 6:45 Showing Sunday evening and the preshow, ads and previews were all shown. I didn’t notice dirty carpeting but I absolutely noticed that lack of an actual marquee. I’ve never seen anything like it. Just “Les Miserables” up there in simple lettering. Shameful but I just assumed it was some kind of mixup. I still very much enjoyed the presentation if not the film; with the exception of the curtains not working. Again, why is that so complicated?????

NYer
NYer on January 1, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Uh oh. I saw “Les Miz” Sunday eve and for the first time in thirty plus years I have to say I was disappointed.

First, turning onto 54th street I was shocked that there was no marquee panel. Oh no, maybe the wind blew it out, it was wicked that day. Walking to the other side, nope, NY’s Premiere movie theater had basic letters on a track for it’s big Christmas picture. Never seen that in the hundreds of times I’ve passed by. It looked like any dollar house in the suburbs. I asked the usher about it, and he said was “all I know is they are working on it”. This for a feature a week in release already and booked months ago.

Then waiting for the previous show to break and I notice the lobby carpet is dirty. First in the auditorium, head for my favorite seat, front row mezzanine aisle and it’s broken, unusable.

First fifteen minutes, no music or even screen ads and it was more noticeable because of the big naked screen staring at us. How much could it really cost to open and close a curtain five times a day. That’s what it was installed for. In the past,even neighborhood theaters had curtains. Multiplexes killed this tradition and this is what makes this theater unique.

Staff, projection and sound first rate as always but it’s obvious Clearview has given up while waiting for a buyer. The gorgeous Ziegfeld Theater deserves better.

LuisV
LuisV on December 31, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Last night I saw Les Miserables at The Ziegfeld and it was at near capacity. Though I didn’t care for the movie, as usual, it was an absolute pleasure to see a film in this theater. My only complaint is that the curtains weren’t used. There was much disappointment in the audience. Why is is so complicated so have a simple curtain work. It just needs to open and close. How complicated is that and it is something that distinguishes The Ziegfeld from every other multiplex box; something this theater needs to accentuate. p.s. Russell Crowe is a dreadful singer. :–)

hdtv267
hdtv267 on December 26, 2012 at 6:57 pm

of course they were.

It’s got more to do with it being around Rockefeller Center and that is where the Christmas Tree, skating rink, etc.

see I can speculate too.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on December 26, 2012 at 3:08 pm

First three shows of Les Miserables were sold out at the Ziegfeld yesterday, even though it’s playing all over town. Moviegoers who are in the know, know where to go.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on December 1, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Hello Again-

as Al A. states i guess i didn’t phrase the question correctly. i suppose i should have said what was the last exclusive 1st run engagement that the Ziegfeld had of a new film. the last exclusive engagement i can think of off the top of my head was the Harris/ Katz restoration of “Vertigo” Oct. 1996. but that was a re-issue not a new film.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on December 1, 2012 at 1:43 am

I think he is asking the wrong question anyway.

There is no such thing as an “open ended engagement”. If the film is overselling, the distributor can open additional runs since they own the rights and the Ziegfeld can either pull it or play with other runs. The days of exclusive roadshow runs operated that way because the distributors wanted to create that exclusivity, not because the theatre had a contract. Oscars, financing issues, reviews and audience apathy trump any contract, and always have.

mdmjcc2
mdmjcc2 on December 1, 2012 at 12:39 am

You know bigjoe59, you could do the work yourself – and let all of us know. As far as I know, just about every local library has the New York Times going back a number of years – and if you can’t get out – it is online through most local libraries.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on November 25, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Hello To All-

all the talk about the Ziegfeld having the chance to host an exclusive open ended engagement of a new film raises a pertinent question- i am not talking about the special exclusive two week engagements before they opened wide of “The Princess and the Frog” or “Dreamgirls”. what was the last film for which the Ziegfeld hosted an exclusive 1st run opened ended engagement?

LuisV
LuisV on November 25, 2012 at 3:49 pm

It’s not enough that the movie be new. The movie must be good to get audiences. I had no desire to see Life of Pi. However, I will be there to see Les Miserables just as I was to see Hairspray, Chicago and Dreamgirls when they played here.