Ziegfeld Theatre

Showing 151 - 175 of 3,969 comments

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on February 1, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Thanks for that, Bill.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 1, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Here are pictures from last night’s TCM Road to Hollywood event at the Ziegfeld: the screening of Cabaret, a movie that had a smash exclusive run there 41 years ago. Another memorable night at the Ziegfeld.

hdtv267
hdtv267 on January 9, 2013 at 8:43 am

and your point being?

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on January 6, 2013 at 11:09 am

Amc in rockaway charges 11.50.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on January 6, 2013 at 11:07 am

Hello-

in reference to Bill H.’s Jan 4th comment about the “new ticket price of $14”. the price may be new for the Ziegfeld but the Regal 42 St. and Union Square multi-plexes have been charging $14 on weekends for some time now.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on January 5, 2013 at 9:33 am

Moviebuff82, it has never made much of a profit but the screenings and premieres have always kept it going. I doubt cash cow would be a fitting term with low box office most of the year and high rent all year round.

Vito, I know Cineplex replaced the whole motorized curtain mechanism during one of the remodels only to have it fail a couple of weeks later.

Vito
Vito on January 5, 2013 at 9:05 am

Yes Al of course having worked many a NY theatre I am very aware of the policies regarding stagehands. The fact that no one can fix this problem is just incomprehensible to me.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on January 5, 2013 at 8:57 am

I doubt that very much.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on January 5, 2013 at 8:52 am

In terms of profit, this theater is clearviews cash cow.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on January 5, 2013 at 8:44 am

Vito, the Ziegfeld was a Union stagehand house for over twenty five years and they were not successful. Back then all New York movie theatres had stagehands, even those without a stage.

LuisV
LuisV on January 5, 2013 at 8:22 am

Does anyone know if anyone has made any serious effort at landmarking the Ziegfeld’s interior?

Vito
Vito on January 5, 2013 at 7:47 am

Al, I understand others have tried and failed but perhaps they could call the stagehands union and ask to borrow the folks responsible for keeping the curtains at RCMH humming along so well. Somehow I think they would be up to the challenge to fix the problem once and for all.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on January 5, 2013 at 7:09 am

LuisV, I am in favor of Landmarking the Ziegfeld interior and would love to see a multiplex built around the original screen to make it more financially viable.

The only human strong enough to be a curtain operator at the Ziegfeld might be Jean Valjean from the original novel or perhaps Clearview could get one those soon to be unemployed super heroes from the Hollywood crap machine.

Vito
Vito on January 5, 2013 at 2:46 am

Good one Bill I bet you would make a good one. That was actually my first job in the biz, I was curtain puller/reel boy at the Paramount on Staten island.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on January 4, 2013 at 1:13 pm

I’d like to apply for the job of curtain operator :)

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on January 4, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Thats good news as the December jobs report was good.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on January 4, 2013 at 12:57 pm

One good thing I noticed: on the front door there were notices for job openings at the Ziegfeld. Guess it won’t be closing anytime soon.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on January 4, 2013 at 12:30 pm

There was no sign of what the next movie might be. The big Les Mis display was still up in the lobby. That’s where the next attraction is usually announced. But it’s drawing good crowds, so long may it play there.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on January 4, 2013 at 12:26 pm

So gald to hear Les Miz is doing so well at the Ziegfeld. Howard this would have been a perfect movie for out Boyd in Phila. Sigh.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on January 4, 2013 at 11:41 am

What’s the next movie after Les Mis?

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on January 4, 2013 at 11:35 am

I saw Les Miserables here last night at the new ticket price of $14. Seems to go a little higher every year. Anyway, it was quite a show. I even enjoyed Russell Crowe’s singing. I think he’s being unfairly slammed all over the place – he was just fine. In fact the only thing that could’ve improved it any would be the use of the curtains, but after what Al told us, I fear we may never see them get used again. Even without them, the Ziegfeld is the best place in NYC to see a movie. The big crowd in the center section last night (a Thursday) is proof of that.

Happy New Year, Vito! Great to have you back.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on January 4, 2013 at 11:26 am

In addition to use of the curtain, I’d root for upgrade to 4k projection as mentoned above.

LuisV
LuisV on January 4, 2013 at 11:17 am

Al, just curious…….are you in favor of the interior landmarking of The Ziegfeld? It is now old enough and it should qualify on many levels. It was the last of the Movie Palaces to be built and is an exquisite example of its late 60’s era. It has played host to probably more premieres than any other Manhattan cinema and is the last of the palaces still showing films regularly; unless one also counts the Paris (which I kind of do). The theater is beautiful and it is a joy to see a film in; regardless of whether the curtains are used or not. And how many movie theaters were built with individual sinks in the bathroom stalls; even in the men’s room??? I don’t know of any other. :–)

p.s. Thanks Vito for your spirited defense of the curtains. As a lay person, I just can’t understand how complicated it could be to operate a simple curtain. Thanks for your input.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on January 4, 2013 at 10:49 am

My little local theater in downtown Asheville,NC the Fine Arts still uses curtains in bothe theaters. The downstairs theater has curtains that rise up and the upstairs balcony theater has curtains that open across.