Loew's Oriental Theatre

1832 86th Street,
Brooklyn, NY 11214

Theaterat on April 28, 2005 at 11:46 am

Yankee Mike…. Would love to see that picture posted! Seems you were there the same night as I.

YMike on April 25, 2005 at 4:57 am

I believe that made for TV movie was on NBC, not HBO. I took a picture of the Loew’s marquee when they were filming it. The scene outside the Loew’s takes place at the start of the film.

Theaterat on April 23, 2005 at 10:12 am

One night, back in early December 1997, a friend of mine called me after super. He told me the Oriental was open and was showing a movie!I met him and we got in my Oldsmobile and without even warming it up, we drove to the theater and parked. The stores appeared to be open and had items in the windows. The marquee advertised a movie called “Innocence Lost Forever”. As we approached the theater, we stopped to look. A huge guy in a black jacket and a shaved head told us to move along. When we asked him what was going on, he replied in an easygoing voice that belied his rough looks that it was a movie shoot.It was all an illusion. The movie being shot(no pun intended)was an HBO movie about Sammy “The Bull” Gravano. Never did get to see it, but for one brief almost shining moment, we almost thought our favorite theater was re opened.

racerx85 on April 3, 2005 at 9:21 am

I remember I saw Gladiator on a whim and came out stunned. He just killed me. I was a fan from then on. I don’t know how he does it. I wish there were more like him, at least in an acting sense. It’s amazing to see the physical transformations from character to character. The choices are just great to watch.

Theaterat on April 3, 2005 at 9:01 am

Tommy X … LA Confidential, Gladiator. A Beautiful Mind, Master and Commander. Hey, he is Russell Crowe and he can do whatever he wants!

racerx85 on April 2, 2005 at 1:59 pm

Hahaha, Rat, That’s a rant that rings so true. And that’s the business I actually crave to be in! I always swore that if I made it, I’d try my hardest to bring back some modicum of class to Hollywood. It will be tough though with the likes of Vin “Did I mention I was a bouncer in New York?” Diesel and Sandra “They threw a whole lot of chash my way to make a sequel nobody asked for” Bullock. And by the way, it’s more like ten bucks. And I loved Master and Commander. The guy may be an arrogant sob, but he certainly can act.

Theaterat on April 2, 2005 at 11:19 am

Tommy X….Neither do I. It seems that not too long ago there were movies that were actually worth seeing. For the most part, todays films are not really films at all. They are only deals that are made by producers, Hollywood and merchandising people. They are designed to be made fast,open in wide release, do a few good weekends, and go to DVD or pay per view in the span of three months. Can anyone with half a brain be willing to pluck down 8 bucks, go to a faceless multiplex, be bombarded by endless commercials( not including the trailerts) to see a moron movie like The Pacifier with Vin Diesel and call THAT entertainment? If Hollywood gave us more intelligent movies say like Master and Commander, prehaps I would go back again. It may be sad, but it is certainly true.

racerx85 on April 2, 2005 at 9:24 am

…And I don’t remeber a single one of those pictures, you?

Theaterat on April 2, 2005 at 8:59 am

Robert R When the Oriental was multiplexed, the orchestra saction was left intact. The Balcony was seperated in its first incarnation to make it a twin. When it became a triplex, the balcony was divided down the middle. The orchestra level was never cut up.

racerx85 on April 1, 2005 at 9:30 pm

“I guess, almost needless to say, the owners of the Loew’s Oriental or Marshall’s just didn’t care much about the uniqueness of the space they were working with. ”

I think you’re right. And what a true shame it is. I just can’t believe the complete disregard for living history. I still wish I could just get someone there to tell me if there is or isn’t anything left. I know I’m obsessing but it seems such a crime to have it all gone for nothing but a B-list department store.

br91975 on April 1, 2005 at 12:02 pm

RobertR on April 1, 2005 at 11:59 am

No damage was done to the walker when it was quaded. Three small auditoriums were built on the orchestra under the balcony and all the original walls, ceiling, screen etc were visible from the balcony theatre.

br91975 on April 1, 2005 at 11:21 am

This posting by Philip Goldberg might answer some of the questions about what remains of the Loew’s Oriental…

I was in the building this weekend shopping with my wife. Although the orchestra level is completely gutted, I found an original theater staircase behind a closed door. it still has some of the original brasswork. Look at the drop ceiling and you’ll see a few missing panels, let your eyes adjust to the darkness above and you can barely make out the old ceiling of the theater. Also look at the plastered side wall. It’s also from the original theater lobby. It’s freshly painted but if you look up to where the ceiling panels are, and look above them through one of the missing panel’s holes, you see where the old dark paint from the theater begins. (To gain access to this stairway, just ask to use the bathroom, as it stands behind a locked door, and a store associate must open it for you.)
posted by philipgoldberg on Nov 5, 2002 at 2:10pm

racerx85 on April 1, 2005 at 10:44 am

I just re-read this entire conversation and a few things are apparent, I really should proof before posting, more than one of us have encountered the Eastern Bloc Of The Oriental, and we’d all love to know what’s left of the old girl. I’m glad to see the spirit still alive…

racerx85 on March 31, 2005 at 3:46 pm

I hope so. It still gets to me every time I see it. Every time I see anything related to old theatres I think of the Oriental. The gym I go to in Bay Ridge is an old theatre. The main room still makes use of the top of the screen frame, the Teaser? I still can’t believe that all those years the old dressing rooms and stage set up were still in tact. Why didn’t I think of getting a job there when I was a kid?

theatrefan on March 31, 2005 at 2:37 pm

That Russian lady is no help whatsoever, I believe they have a different manager working on the weekends, that may have a nicer attitude.

racerx85 on March 31, 2005 at 2:15 pm

Theatre rat,
I’m glad I wasn’t the only one. al I asked her wss if any of the old architecture was preserved. She looked at me as if I just gave her the flesh-eating bacteria. “No! All gone. All of it”! was her reply. In an almost spiteful tone I might add. I still want to try again and see if there’s anything left. I was just by there today and was thinking that there must be something up there. It’s like five stories of empty space. Hmmm…

Theaterat on March 31, 2005 at 11:04 am

Tommy X,,,I had an encounter with that Russian woman. Rude to the extreme. And nasty. Bet the only party she ever went to was the Communist party!

theatrefan on March 31, 2005 at 10:26 am

Thanks for the info RobertR, I hope too much damage wasn’t done when it was quaded in the mid 80’s right before it closed. I know there was a proposal for landmark status that did not get passed.

RobertR on March 31, 2005 at 8:05 am

The Walker is 100% intact behind all the false plaster board walls.

theatrefan on March 31, 2005 at 5:52 am

One day in September of 1997 I was walking by the front of this theatre, and was horrified to see a construction crew gutting the entire main floor. There was a dumpster full of old theatre seats from the Loew’s Oriental right outside the front entrance, everything that existed on that level was clearly being torn out in the conversion to retail.

I did get to take one of those staircases once when I asked a guard if I could use the bathroom, the staircase was the same as I remember only painted a different color, the bathroom also seemed to be in the same place when it was a theatre. I tried to look around for any other signs of the former theatre, however I could not find any, only a bunch of rooms for the sales staff. Someone once mentioned to me that the Walker on 18th Avenue has its balcony mainly intact so one can only hope about the Oriental. I also wonder how much of the original marquee is left under the Marshall’s sign, they look like they are the same exact size & location.

I have a copy of a photo of the Loew’s Oriental, the movie playing at the time was “The Golden Voyage of Sinbad” from 1974 according to the IMDB, the two stores on the right side of the theatre entrance were: Oriental Movers & Food “N” Stuff, I remember later in the early 90’s a bagel store right next door to the theatre.

All this talk of the Loew’s Oriental is really making me nostalgic. For me, as a child it was always such a treat going to a palace like this to see movies, I still remember the huge line for Star Wars back in the summer of 1977, twenty years later they were tearing the place apart!

Ravenhall on March 31, 2005 at 5:46 am

Tommy X
I worked at the Pharmacy from 1951 through 1955 or so, which is a little before your time there. I doubt that most of the folks that hung out there are still alive. I was in my early teens and they were all in their 20’s to 40’s.

YMike on March 31, 2005 at 5:05 am

There was a large furniture store next to the Oriental that was also taken over by Marshals. The Oriental luncheonette was there until the theatre closed. I know when they started work converting the building I saw bulldozers in the orchestra section so the ground floor is probably gone. I would guess the balcony and cieling of the auditorium could still be intact. The Russian manager would not know (or care) about the status of the theatre.

racerx85 on March 31, 2005 at 4:45 am

I don’t remember Karelle Drugs. When was that? When I was active at the Oriental, in the late 70’s and 80’s, there was a candy store on the most immediate corner and a luncheonette on the left of the theatre. I think that became a furniture store of some sort later on.

Ravenhall on March 30, 2005 at 9:53 pm

I used to work at the Pharmacy on the corner of the Oriental. It was called “Karelle Drugs” and owned by Joe Friedman. I worked there all through my High School years and then some. These words brought back a slew of memories from those years. I moved away from NY and never found out what became of Joe and the store.