Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Cinemas

6360 Sunset Boulevard,
Hollywood,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Showing 151 - 175 of 1,105 comments

jsittig
jsittig on August 1, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Silver The water curtain is new to the 2002 refurbishing. Before, that area was inside the brick wall surrounding the building, hiding trash receptacles and HVAC. John

silver
silver on July 29, 2012 at 11:45 pm

Visited the Dome over the weekend and am curious about something. On the outside around the western perimeter area is a sort of curtain of falling water decoration.

Is that original with the Dome, or was that added when they built the Arclight building surrounding the rest of it.

jsittig
jsittig on July 29, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Roger, Since we now only have one 70mm projector in the Dome, we cannot run reel-to-reel which limits us on quality print availability. John Sittig, ArcLight Cinemas & Cinerama Inc.

RogerA
RogerA on July 29, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Well I have a ticket to see 2001 in 70mm at the Academy of Motion Pictures in the Goldwyn theater. It is nice of the Arclight people to run all of the tree strip Cinerama films and some of the 70mm Cinerama films.

Danny Baldwin
Danny Baldwin on July 29, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Maybe they’re not allowed to run the new print on a platter? They don’t have changeover 70MM in there now.

RogerA
RogerA on July 29, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Why would they show a 2K digital of 2001 when there is a 70mm print available?

jsittig
jsittig on July 29, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Just to make everything as clear as possible, so that there is no confusion….This Is Cinerama, Search For Paradise, Bros. Grimm, and How The West Was Won, and Act 2 of Seven Wonders Of The World will be shown in 3 strip Cinerama. (Act 2 as digital scanning will not be completed.) Cinerama Holiday and South Seas Adventure are new digital prints from the original negatives…stunningly beautiful. Russian Adventure, Golden Head, and Holiday in Spain, digital from 65mm ele ments, 2001 in 2K digital, Mad World in 70mm Ultra Panavision and IN THE PICTURE, the first new film photographed in Cinerama in 50 years is in 3 strip. Yes, I would like to see everything in its original formats but I believe that in more important to show everything listed as this is the 60th Anniversary of the process.

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on July 25, 2012 at 12:45 pm

As it appears, the 3-strip films are “HTWWW”, “Brothers Grimm”, “This is Cinerama” and “Search for Paradise” as well as the newly produced film “In the Picture”. “Mad World” is 70mm. Everything else is digital.

RogerA
RogerA on July 25, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Well I got a refund on my ticket for Cinerama’s Russian Adventure from what I can tell that is a video presentation. I still have a ticket for Cinerama Holiday I hope that is in three strip if not I’ll have to cash that one in too. I’m sure the 4K looks fine but it still isn’t as clear and sharp as a good 70mm print from a 65mm negative or as detailed as the three strip Cinerama.

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on July 25, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Sorry, I failed to mention that the faded 3-strip print is “Search for Paradise”. Again, I prefer that over a digital version. RogerA: I saw “Windjammer” at the Dome in digital a while back and while I thought it looked pretty good it just isn’t the same as true Cinerama. BTW: “This is Cinerama” and “Windjammer” will both be released on Blu-Ray the Tuesday before the festival. I hope, in the interest of historical accuracy, the join lines are not hidden like they were for “HTWWW”. That’s part of the experience!

RogerA
RogerA on July 25, 2012 at 10:50 am

I was expecting all the Cinerama movies to be shown using film on three projectors. I’m not driving into Hollywood to see video! I guess I’ll have to cancel some of my tickets and get a refund.

Flix70
Flix70 on July 25, 2012 at 10:44 am

Here’s hoping the newly restored 4K Lawrence of Arabia gets at least a week-long stint at the Dome this October. Apparently the film will be re-released theatrically Oct 4 prior to its Blu-ray release in Nov. As Oct 4 is a Thursday, I’m hoping it’s not one of those one-day screenings that pop up at the chain multiplexes from time to time. The Dome did give Lawrence a week-long 40th Anniv showcase back in 2002. Fingers crossed.

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on July 25, 2012 at 8:28 am

There seems to be some confusion at least on one of the shows. Although not mentioned on the Arclight website, In70mm reports that while the print for the Saturday show is indeed 3-strip they report it as having “color faded to Magenta”. Additionally, for the second show, they list it as being 3-strip and then label it as a digital presentation on the right. Personally, I would rather see a red 3-strip presentation than a video version but if it is in fact badly faded the Arclight website should say so for those who care.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on July 20, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Construction photo featured on a trade journal’s front cover in September, 1963: Boxoffice

RogerA
RogerA on July 19, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Yes it looks like they are running every three strip Cinerama film ever made. I expect the whole series to be sold out. Not bad for 50 year old movies.

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on July 19, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Tickets are already going fast. I have mine for “Brothers Grimm” and “Search for Paradise” in back-to-back 3-strip showings. This will be the first 3-strip showings for both at the Dome as far as I know. Going to be a great Saturday!

RussM
RussM on July 19, 2012 at 11:19 am

I am traveling 3000 miles for this festival, and have bought tickets for seven Cinerama films. Thanks to all the folks that have made this great event possible. Also, thanks to Arclight for releasing the schedule and starting ticket sales this far in advance.

RogerA
RogerA on July 19, 2012 at 11:10 am

Yes, tickets went on sale last night at 6pm for the Cinerama festival and their web site was jammed for 30 minutes. Also they should make it easier to buy multiple tickets with out having to enter you credit card information each time.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on July 19, 2012 at 10:16 am

The big Cinerama extravaganza is now on sale at www.arclightcinemas.com – go to the Dome +21 section for titles and showtimes. I’ve got my ticket for “THIS IS CINERAMA” – and will happily cross off 1 item in my Top Ten Movies To See In A Theatre list.

ChasSmith
ChasSmith on July 4, 2012 at 11:39 am

That is great. The interior was all red, I think, when I knew it, but how great to “be in it” again. Yes, more places should have this.

RogerA
RogerA on July 4, 2012 at 11:01 am

The link works and it is a great view of the auditorium http://capp360.com/pacific-cinerama-dome-hollywood/ thanks PYTinLA

PYTinLA
PYTinLA on July 4, 2012 at 10:50 am

Has anyone seen the Cinerama Dome now has a virtual tour? It’s super cool, take a look http://capp360.com/pacific-cinerama-dome-hollywood/

It looks like some kind of Google thing. I love looking at the ceiling inside the dome and the purple draping that lines the walls. I’d love for all theatres to have it so I know what it’s like to be in a particular section of the theatre. Wondering if the Arclight next door will get one too.

RogerA
RogerA on June 19, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Well bigjoe59

The Chinese opened on May 18, 1927

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on June 19, 2012 at 11:09 am

Hello To My Fellow Posters In L.A.–

i live in NYC and enjoy reading this page to see what’s going on in the movie going world of L.A. so i have a question for fellow posters in L.A.. does anyone know what the oldest continually in operation movie theater is in L.A.? my one qualification is that it has been a commercial house the entire time. for instance the Egyptian on Hollywood Blvd. doesn’t count since its been a non-profit film society type house for a number of years.

Flix70
Flix70 on June 19, 2012 at 9:57 am

Looks like tickets are really moving for the opening weekend of The Dark Knight Rises at the Dome. My favorite seats are gone already.