United Palace

4140 Broadway,
New York, NY 10033

Bway
Bway on April 17, 2008 at 11:36 am

The “Nokia Theater Times Square” doesn’t show movies either anymore, yet that is the main name listed for the old Astor Plaza Theater.
/theaters/309

There are many all over the site named as their CURRENT name:
-the old Grammercy Theater, now the Blender Theater. Also doesn’t show movies under “Blender Theater”.
/theaters/6113/

Those are just two off the top of my head. There have to be countless more if we start looking for former theaters, now concert venues. All the concert bookings don’t call this place a “church”, they call it the United Palace Theatre.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on April 17, 2008 at 10:00 am

Since it has a dual identity as Christ United Palace [a church] and United Palace Theatre, I don’t see any problem with the listing staying as Loew’s 175th Street. Neither of the current venues show movies. Loew’s 175th Street did, and was certainly a “cinema treasure.”

Bway
Bway on April 17, 2008 at 9:27 am

Also, it’s status isn’t closed, as the building is not only being used as a church, it is also open for concerts as mentioned above.

Bway
Bway on April 17, 2008 at 9:27 am

I think this theater may have to be changed to “United Palace Theatre”. That is how it’s advertised in Concert Bookings. The place is still a church, but it is also used as a Theater/Concert venue too. Many famous performers have played here, such as the Black Crowes, Niel Young, Van Morrison, etc….

For example, that’s how ticketmaster calls the theater, and I have seen the “United Palace Theatre” name on other advertising for concerts too.

I know it’s tough to lose the “real” name as the main theater name, but I think in the policy of the website, the 175th St Theater name may have to become the “aka” name, as the current name IS the “United Palace Theatre” for concert bookings, even though they just call it the Christ United Palace for the church.
Even the Astor Plaza Theater had to be changed to “Nokia Theater” when it became a concert venue. I know it’s not only a concert hall, but is still a church, but shouldn’t the name reflect the current theater name?

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on March 4, 2008 at 1:13 pm

Warren, that’s a rude comment. I hope the Reverand, and his church, which have so magnficiently maintained this glorious movie palace and made it available (at tours, concerts, etc) for the public to see and enjoy, both live on for a long, long time. They deserve the gratitude of all fans of historic movie palaces.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on March 4, 2008 at 9:02 am

That homepage photo of the Reverend suggests that some of the church collections have been going towards cosmetic surgery. He looks much younger now than he did 40 years ago.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on March 3, 2008 at 2:21 pm

This was another example of “r” before “e”— Loew’s 175th Street Theatre, not Loew’s 175th Street Theater. The circuit was Loew’s Theatres, not Loew’s Theaters. The group of architectural marvels was “Loew’s Wonder Theatres,” not “Loew’s Wonder Theaters.”

evmovieguy
evmovieguy on December 16, 2007 at 3:07 am

The interior of this theater is one of the most amazing that I have ever seen. Just absolutely overwhelmingly beautiful. I was there tonight to see Neil Young. Unfortunately his show wasn’t as cool as the theater. And that’s coming from a hardcore Neil Young fan. It looks like they are now using this as a regular venue for concerts, and they should!! It’s just great that this place has been preserved as well as it has been. A really amazing piece of architecture.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on December 11, 2007 at 11:39 pm

I’ve toured this fantastic exotic movie palace.

Here’s more photos from CTA visit this year that I found on flickr.

Lobby

more lobby or foyer View link

Altoblanco
Altoblanco on November 9, 2007 at 11:21 pm

After viewing all of the posted photographs, I can only begin to imagine the skill and craftsmanship [and patience] required to create such a space. This could never be duplicated today on such a grand scale. This is preservation at its finest.

It has been said that “God is in the details”. If that’s the case, then it should be no “wonder” why a church chose this magnificent structure as their home.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on November 8, 2007 at 12:20 pm

Thanks, Ken. Interesting about the various colored lighting circuits behind the decorative side wall & ceiling panels in the auditorium to change atmosphere. I wonder if we’ll ever see those restored in our lifetime!

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on November 8, 2007 at 9:24 am

Dave-bronx, I wondered the same thing as I took those photos a couple of weeks back. Perhaps Warren knows the answer to that (in fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if the answer has already been posted on this page, somewhere above).

bruceanthony
bruceanthony on November 8, 2007 at 1:54 am

It would be nice if they lit the blade with Palace which would work since it is the United Palace. Im glad this facility is being discovered again. It was fortunate that reverend Ike bought this theatre and preserved it as a church and is letting other use the theatre for other purposes. I was in the theatre in 2002 and thought it was in great shape. I was able to see all the Loew’s wonder theatre except the Paradise in the Bronx. There is only one wonder theatre left to be revived the Loew’s Kings in Brooklyn.brucec

dave-bronx™
dave-bronx™ on November 7, 2007 at 11:40 pm

Has that tower on the stagehouse always been there, or did the church add it? It may be enclosing the water tower. Obviously the cross and ersatz stained glass have been added, but the structure itself looks out of place, a different style than the rest of the building.

tkinz
tkinz on November 7, 2007 at 11:23 pm

the restroom was on the second level, and there were probably about 15 to 20 urinals. it was a full house, but the wait was a few minutes.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on November 4, 2007 at 12:37 pm

I hope that you didn’t have to wait too long to use them. One of the theatre’s flaws was insufficient restrooms. Most theatres that size had two to serve main floor patrons and two for upstairs, but the 175th had only the two on the main floor. Or least that was true when I last visited the theatre in 2002. Perhaps more have been added since.

tkinz
tkinz on November 4, 2007 at 12:26 pm

Saw Annie Lennox last night. I had no idea what an amazing venue this would be – the interior is in great shape. The accoustics are excellent, and the sight lines, for being such a huge space, were good – much better than city center or the broadway theater, which both seem about similar in size. And what a gorgeous proscenium that frames the stage. It was such a thrill to walk into the lobby and up the staircase – not to mention the huge marble urinals!

William
William on November 2, 2007 at 10:15 am

Ed, Yes they used the theatre for the night club scenes in “We Own the Night”.
The exterior was also a location in the film “Two Weeks Notice” along with a nice photo montage of theatres that was later cut from the final release version of the film.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on November 2, 2007 at 8:49 am

Thanks for these, Ed. As we know from the lack of photos from some sites, there is no such thing as too much coverage of these palaces.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on November 1, 2007 at 10:21 pm

I was up around the theatre a couple of weeks ago and snapped a number of exterior photos. Probably TOO many, but here goes anyhow:

Broadway & 175th
Upper facade detail
Wadsworth side wall
Wadsworth & 176th
Stage House Tower
Stage House upper facade detail
Broadway & 176th
Building profile looking south on B'way
B'way entrance & facade
B'way fire escapes

Exhaustive and exhausting, I know. I basically just took a walk around the building and fired away. Hope it’s of interest to some folks. I didn’t have the time to wait for the doors to open and take an interior walk through – but I think the series of stunning photographs on the United Palace’s website offer a nice sampling of interior views (not that that’ll stop me from photographing the interior myself one day and posting them right here)!

Bway
Bway on October 19, 2007 at 4:28 pm

I am pretty impressed with the acts they are attracting.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on October 19, 2007 at 12:45 pm

The United Palace is the name used for both the church and the concert hall.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on October 19, 2007 at 12:44 pm

It is called “The United Palace” in all of the concert ads I’ve seen – which is also the official name for the church used by Rev. Ike’s congregation. They’re making some noise about the venue’s 75th Anniversary on the official website as well as in some radio commercials I’ve been hearing on the local classic rock station. As Alto posted, some big names are being booked into the United Palace – names that might have previously booked the Beacon or WaMu Theatre at MSG (and acts way too big for the smaller Nokia Theatre in Times Square).

Bway
Bway on October 19, 2007 at 11:36 am

What do they call the place in it’s use as a concert hall?