Oasis Theatre

63-57 Fresh Pond Road,
Ridgewood, NY 11385

RobertR
RobertR on July 13, 2005 at 12:52 am

In 1973 after the 70mm re-issue at the National the “Sound of Music” opened wide again. We discussed it before but they have the theatre listed as Brooklyn, if anyone was ever there they would know how crazy that is. The Oasis was right on the border of Glendale and Middle Village.

Bway
Bway on July 10, 2005 at 11:24 pm

Wow, that was a lowpoint for the poor Oasis wasn’t it!?
My memories of the Oasis was seeing Disney films there as a kid in the 70’s – a far cry from that film!

RobertR
RobertR on July 10, 2005 at 10:36 pm

I missed this combo when it played the Oasis :)

R143
R143 on April 27, 2005 at 5:32 pm

Does anyone know of any photos of the Oasis posted online? I don’t mean current ones of the CVS, I mean historic ones, especially from when it was a roller rink, or just before, like the 60’s 70’s or 80’s?

mastersounds
mastersounds on April 2, 2005 at 3:28 am

Michaelfef ——– I have direct contact with the Martenellis, and they have expressed intrest in the Oasis .. as to what happened in the years after they sold it…. so if you can contact me please do. My Name is Michael, and I can be contacted at Any pictures, details, stories would be helpfu. (Interior oOasis Roller Rink pctures)

Please contact me….

RobertR
RobertR on January 11, 2005 at 4:07 am

No the Belvedere had no balcony, it was wide all on one level. Someone wrote on the Belvedere page that the church just added a balcony because they have an increasing population.

AntonyRoma
AntonyRoma on January 11, 2005 at 3:57 am

RobertR
The Acme was small, no balcony or loge. They called it the itch. I walked there from my house in Glendale. I spent almost every day there for a couple of summers. It was my mother’s favorite baby sitter. Movies were safe for young kids to go to in those days. I think admission was maybe a nickel. You could go in when it opened, around noon I think, and stay through a couple of showings of second or third run movies, the old time news ‘photoreview’, and of course some cartoons. Seems to me the show changed two or three times a week. A few days a week, my mother would give me a few more cents so I could go to the Belvedere and see a different movie.

By the way, the Belvedere was the movie I always think of as being closer to a trestle rather than the Glenwwod. The Belvedere was a cut above the Acme. I thought it had a balcony, but I could be wrong.

RobertR
RobertR on January 11, 2005 at 3:30 am

Tonino
What can you tell me about the Acme? Did it have a balcony? It looks like it was tall enough. The Belvedere was closed I think before I was born, but I was inside on the first day Erna Fredricks started the renovations for her store. The place was 100% intact inside, curtains, seats, light fixtures. It was like a time warp. I only wish I had taken pictures.

AntonyRoma
AntonyRoma on January 11, 2005 at 3:10 am

Robert R, Thanks for reminding me of the Oasis. I grew up in Glendale, and went to the Acme or Belvedere almost every day for a few summers. My parents took us to the Glenwood or Oasis once every few months. One of the few lixuries my dad allowed himself was a couple of bags of peanuts and chocolates which he brought at the drugstore down the street from each movie house.

R143
R143 on October 20, 2004 at 5:36 pm

Thank you very much for posting that photo above. I wonder when the site here will allow photos to be uploaded again. In the meantime, it’s nice to see the off site links.

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on October 12, 2004 at 4:50 pm

Let’s divert ten billion gigawatts from the third rail of the Bway el into our flux capacitor to accomplish this !

Bway
Bway on October 12, 2004 at 4:28 pm

Well, I guess the Oasis was already sporting the skaters when “Back to the Future” came out in 1985, but if you’d like, we can enter a Delorian at the corner I am standing at to take the photo, hit 88mph at the entrance ramp to the parking lot, and smash through the front doors of the Oasis in 1985, see the roller rink for a while, and then drive in 1985 to Broadway Brooklyn, and then hit 88mph again under the el for a trip to 1925 Brodway Brooklyn, for a drive under the el and a look at all those theaters and the neighborhood there!!

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on October 12, 2004 at 4:20 pm

IN THE IMMORTAL WORDS OF THE “ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW” :

“LET’S DO THE TIME WARP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” …. into the past !

Bway
Bway on October 12, 2004 at 4:14 pm

Oh, and just to clarify further, if I wasn’t clear (and sicne the theater is partly demolished, it’s hard to tell where the front was unless you knew).
The red car is on Fresh Pond Rd, headed towards Metropolitan. The marquee and lobby used to be the area by the parking lot, near the phone booth, and the driveway into the parking lot. If in a time warp driving into the parking lot, you would be driving right under the marquee, and into the front doors of the Oasis.

Bway
Bway on October 12, 2004 at 4:06 pm

We are on Fresh Pond Rd looking towards Metropolitan Ave from I believe Grove St (either that or Menahan, I’m not sure which one intersects by the Oasis), but either way, we are looking “northeast”.

By the way, when you click the mapquest link above, it brings you to the wrong location, too near to Myrtle Ave, instead of there the Oasis was near Metropolitan Ave. I don’t know why, because when I type in the same address manually into Mapquest, it brings me to the correct location, or at least within a block of the correct location.

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on October 12, 2004 at 3:41 pm

Thanks, Bway. What street corner are we looking at here, and in what direction are we facing, in this photo ?

Bway
Bway on October 7, 2004 at 12:18 am

Here’s a current photo of the Oasis Theater building. How the mighty hath fallen.
When converted to the CVS, the entire lobby and right side of the building was demolished, as well as the stores adjoing the Fresh Pond Rd fasade of the theater. All what remains is the main auditorium itself. A parkinglot now is in the place of the lobby and inner lobby and concession area.
There is no eveidence on the interior of the building left of the Oasis. A drop ceiling now is in place. I wonder what if anything survives above the ceiling that may have survived the demolition and fire.

If you look at the photo, The entrance ramp to the parkinglot is where the marquee and lobby was located. The doors from the lobby to the main auditorim, were located where the right hand CVS sign is located, and those windows.

Click here for photo of the Oasis

Bway
Bway on September 30, 2004 at 4:19 am

Tha address on the top of the page is wrong, and is an outdated address from before Queens went into the new numbering system in the 20’s or 30’s. If someone clicks on “map” with that address, it will give them improper location.
The proper address for the Oasis Theater, and the address it had for most of it’s life, and now the CVS holds is:
63-57 Fresh Pond Rd

Bway
Bway on September 30, 2004 at 4:16 am

Sorry, I had a typo too….I meant the entire RIGHT side of the building was now removed, and is now the parking lot.

Bway
Bway on September 30, 2004 at 4:14 am

Michael, thanks for all your comments. Yes, I remember the Oasis being extremely load when it was a roller rink. My ears were always ringing when I got out of there. It was a great theater when I used to go there for that, and had many good times at the rink too in it’s afterlife.
The Oasis still stands…well partly anyway. I believe there were several fires after the rink closed. When the building was converted to what it is now, a CVS pharmacy, all the stores that were along Fresh Pond Road, attached to the front of the theater were removed, as well as the entire left side of the building, the lobby and cafeteria areas. The only part of the building still standing is the main auditorium, which now houses the CVS. The former lobby area is now the parking lot for the CVS.
I will be in the area in a few weeks, and plan to take a current photo of what’s left of the building, so check back here in a about two or three weeks for the photo link.

mastersounds
mastersounds on September 30, 2004 at 12:36 am

another random bit…. i think the Dj I remember from the time was DJ Marco… He introduced me to the music which would become the backbone for the upcomming breakdance scene…. and planted the seeds for what would influence me when freestyle came in in and launced me as a Dj

Planet rock (Instrumental version) played at the oasis (when the speakers were on the floor) was mesmerizing.

dang.. I can’t spell tonight to save my life…

Michael.

mastersounds
mastersounds on September 30, 2004 at 12:31 am

some corrections… studio 54….. I meant…. it was about as big as studio 54

I spelled martenelli wrong…

Michael…

mastersounds
mastersounds on September 30, 2004 at 12:28 am

I rember the Oasis, as my cousin Donna worked there. I must of been about 12 when the rink was being converted, and had a chance to go to the privew party. Growing up in the easten part of queens, and the fact that my father was a NYC cop in the 104th pricent, he knew the neighborhood well. I would get dropped off whenever possivle during the early days of the rink (1980) but soon, the Martenelis ran into some problems, and decided to sell the rink. I basicly forgot about the rink after that. I now live and work out in Suffolk, Long Island, about exit 61. A co worker who had a mother that had passed away, had her mothers funural on Metropotitan avenue, As long as I was in the neighboorhood, I thought I would drive down Fresh Pond Road and see what the oasis looked like today, or what had taken its place. Sure, it was over 20 years later, but i remembered it had unique features that would stand out. I should of seen the cafeteria as I approached the block, then the marquee. Still nothing… so I went home to long island.

Yhea, it did have only 2 pymarads. Also, the best wood floor I ever skated on. One of the unique things was that the maple floor was cut out of curved wood, in the same direction that you skated in. Yes, even after all of this time, the rink was designed to be loud. I don’t know why, but I belive it woul dhave been because of the speaker arrangement and the acoustics of the main room with the dome ceiling. Today, I explain to people that it was about as studio 54, and a 1/3 version of The New York Palladium niteclub.

Some more random info…. the other roller rink the OASIS was in competition was in with was a rink called ‘Sweet Rubys". The balcony was going to be coverted into a small lounge/jazz type of niteclub.

Anyone rember LAces on Long Island ?

Michael……

RobertR
RobertR on August 5, 2004 at 8:26 pm

My friend Richie used to manage this theatre and had a whole photo albums of pictures he took there. I mentioned in an earlier post that UA dumped some money in the place shortly before they closed it. They painted and relit the marquee and he had a great photo of him and his staff posing by it, one in daytime and one at night. Remember the name OASIS was lit with incandesent bulbs like the 15 watt ones? I have not talked to him in years but would love to call him and ask him to scan them for me. Besides the Disney fims does anyone remember the 4 wall runs that played in mass release from Pacific International? Grizzly Addams, In Search of Historic Jesus, The Adventures of the Wilderness Family they would be in mass release and the Oasis played alot of them. One was about the question of life on other planets and narrated by Orson Welles. I cant recall the name. Besides the Oasis they would play The Arion, Drake, Cinemart, Haven and all the other neighborhood houses.

Bway
Bway on June 15, 2004 at 8:30 pm

Just to be clear on the address mentioned in the TImes Newsweekly in the above link, that is not the current address of the Oasis Theater property, or from when it was in operation as the Oasis Theater. The location is of the CVS, and listed as:
C V S/ Pharmacy
63-57 Fresh Pond Rd
Ridgewood, NY 11385,
which is the current address of the Oasis site (and of the Oasis theater when it was still a theater.

“579 Fresh Pond Rd” was the original address, however, that was before they changed Fresh Pond Road into the “Queens numbering system” decades ago. The Oasis Theater did get a “Queens” number along with all the other buildings on Fresh Pond Rd.

I found an even better article on the Oasis in the Times Newsweekly, than the link posted above:

It’s gives a great brief history of the theater. It’s also funny that everyone seems to mention the “Disney Films” when we talk about the theater! The author of the article also mentions the “Disney” films. Apparently, the Oasis played most of them, so that is how so many of us remember the great old theater from when we were kids.
(And “Lady and the Tramp” to my list mentioned above).