Loew's State Theatre

1540 Broadway,
New York, NY 10036

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on April 24, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Tyne: I’m a huge fan of Kubrick, but I gotta admit my favorite part of “Killer’s Kiss” is seeing all those dear departed movie marquees in Times Square.

Brad Smith
Brad Smith on April 24, 2010 at 11:03 am

Click on the year for photographs of Loew’s State Theatre taken in 1930, 1938, and another photograph in 1938 by George Mann of the comedy dance team, Barto & Mann.

jeffdonaldson
jeffdonaldson on April 1, 2010 at 3:14 pm

Parson me if this has been mentioned before, but I just watched Stanley Kubrick’s “Killer’s Kiss” and it includes some marvelous nighttime footage of Times Square circa 1954. The amusing part of this is the scenes in Times Square were shot at different times though in the film it all takes place on one night over a period of just a few minutes. The star of the film is walking around where we can clearly see the Victoria is playing “The Man Between.” Loew’s State is playing “How to Marry a Millionaire.” The Globe also has “How to Marry a Millionaire” on its marquee. These films are 1953. At the same time, the Astor is playing “The Queen of Sheba.” The film cuts away to other action then quickly returns to our hero in the street where the Victoria is now playing “Casanova’s Big Night” and the Astor has switched to “Elephant Walk.” The Globe is now running “Beachhead” with Tony Curtis and over at Loew’s State they are now showing “Flame and the Flesh.” These films are from 1954. Don’t know if these scenes had to be reshot months later or if Kubrick just needed additional scenes, but it was pretty funny to see. I always thought it would have been pretty exciting to be in Times Square in those days. Of course, I never realized the theatres changed their programs every five minutes.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on March 28, 2010 at 10:13 am

This photo was probably taken on the same day in 1935, but shows a wider area, with the Embassy, Palace, and Mayfair in the left background: View link

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on March 28, 2010 at 9:53 am

Here’s a 1935 view, with the State’s screen attraction being a “move-over” from Radio City Music Hall: View link

Vito
Vito on February 20, 2010 at 10:14 am

In February 1953 “Bwana Devil” the first full length motion Picture in Natural Vision 3-D had its NYC premiere at Loew’s State.
The picture had its NYC premiere engagement simultaneously at TWO theatres— Loew’s State in Times Square and the Fox in downtown Brooklyn. Newspaper reviews mentioned only Loew’s State.
The Fox had about 900 seats more than the State. Variety reported a first week gross of $87,000 for the State, nearly breaking its all-time record set in 1949 by “Jolson Sings Again.” The State had a sliding price scale of 55 cents to $1.50. Variety gave no figure for the Fox, but said business was “socko.”

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 17, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Paul: Were Liz and Dick (the ultimate celebrity couple, then and now) there too?

I remember Dorothy Kilgallen from the TV game show What’s My Line? A lot of their Mystery Guest segments can be seen on YouTube. They attracted some of the biggest names in show business. Here’s a funny clip from 1954 featuring Liz and Dorothy Kilgallen:

AGRoura
AGRoura on February 17, 2010 at 7:58 pm

After it was twinned, I preferred the 2 upstairs. Being the former balcony, seats were like today’s stadium seating and you had the top of the magnificent proscenium arch. It’s a shame it’s gone like all the other great NYC theaters. I love NYC, but I don’t understand why al least some of the theaters were not saved or why Times Square is now a seating area for fat tourists. Emperor Bloomberg, don’t change the character of NYC, bring back cars and the hustle and bustle back to TS to NYC. Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul Noble
Paul Noble on February 17, 2010 at 7:29 pm

I was there opening night. A raucous crowd on the sidewalk was hooting and holllering at Dorothy Kilgallen as she entered the theater in front of us. Those Broadway celebrity hounds were at their best that night.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on February 17, 2010 at 6:39 pm

Thanks saps, would have loved to be there then.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on February 17, 2010 at 6:35 pm

I recently saw a great movie from 1964 — Becket, starring Richard Burton and Peter O'Toole — on TCM and read that it premiered here at the Loew’s State. I wish I could have seen it on the big screen in a showplace like the State. I’m afraid we’ll never see the likes of it again.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on February 17, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Great photo Tinseltoes were do you get them?

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on February 8, 2010 at 8:29 am

Here’s a 1953 street scene with Loew’s State in the background. The State was in the midst of its first wide-screen presentation, “Thunder Bay,” which was also shown with stereophonic sound: View link 114

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on February 7, 2010 at 9:09 am

Here’s a 1931 view looking north from 45th Street. Loew’s State had “The Man in Possession” on screen with vaudeville, and the Astor was presenting “A Free Soul”: View link

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on February 5, 2010 at 12:01 pm

The Capitol had “Navy Blue and Gold”.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 5, 2010 at 11:47 am

I wish I could see what’s at the Capitol, but it’s barely visible. Some MGM epic, no doubt.

William
William on February 5, 2010 at 11:26 am

Don’t forget across the street at the Astor Theatre “The Hurricane” was playing.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on February 5, 2010 at 10:46 am

Like most of the films at Loew’s State in those days, “The Awful Truth” was a “move-over” from another theatre, in this case from Radio City Music Hall, where it had been presented with the customary RCMH stage revue.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on February 5, 2010 at 10:37 am

If “Daughter of Shanghai” was at the Criterion then it was Christmas 1937 and “The Awful Truth” was at the State with Rudy vallee.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on February 5, 2010 at 10:35 am

The Loew’s State marquee says IRENE DUNNE CARY GRANT
THE AWFUL TRUTH.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on February 5, 2010 at 9:58 am

Great Shot Tinseltoes.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on February 5, 2010 at 9:41 am

Here’s a 1937 photo taken when Rudy Vallee was topping the vaudeville bill at Loew’s State. I can’t make out the title of the movie on that program, but the nearby Criterion is showing “Daughter of Shanghai”:

GaryCohen
GaryCohen on January 13, 2010 at 4:10 pm

I can’t believe I forgot seeing “The Spy Who Loved Me,” one of my two favorite Bonds at this theater. I must be getting old. Also remembered seeing “The Odessa File” with Jon Voight and “Castle Keep” with Burt Lancaster at this great theater.

GaryCohen
GaryCohen on January 12, 2010 at 4:54 pm

I can’t tell you how much I appreciate the people who list the films that played at this theater. Just reading them brings a great sense of nostalgia to me.
The first time I experienced the Loews State theater, I did not go in it. My family and I were walking down Broadway and Brando in Mutiny on the Bounty was playing there on reserved-seat. I remember looking in and wishing I were going to see it there. The block before we passed Lawrence of Arabia at the Criterion and a few blocks later The Longest Day at the Warner. All three nominated for Best Picture. Boy those were the days.
The first time I went to the Loews State was in 1966, 2 friends and I bought reserved seat tickets to see “The Bible.” 2 of us were scheduled to meet my other friend near the token seller at the Pennsylvaina Avenue station of the number 2 train in Brooklyn. When my habitually tardy friend still hadn’t shown up and we realized that we might be late for the film’s 2PM start, the two of us grabbed a piece of paper and pencil and scribbled him a note. We stuck it on a nail sticking out of the station wall never imagining he would actually see it. With a couple minutes to go before the film began, he came running in to the theater. He actually saw the note. We were amazed. This was more interesting than the film itself.
Over the years I saw many more films there: MacKenna’s Gold in 1969, Beneath the Planet of the Apes and Kellys Heroes in 1970 and The Omega Man in ‘71. In 1972, my mother and father decided to take my brother, sister and myself to Manhattan to see The G-dfather at the Loews State. The line stetched around the block. When we did get in this enormous theater was so crowded that we could not sit together and had to sit in different locations around the theater. (I also saw G-dfather II at the Loews State.)
The last time I was there was in 1979 to see Star Trek-The Motion Picture. It was the second week and I knew the film wasn’t doing all that well because at least half the theater was empty. I thought the film was okay but my wife and our friend did not like it at all.
The Loew’s State may be gone but the memories remain.