Film Forum

209 W. Houston Street,
New York, NY 10014

HomegaMan
HomegaMan on June 22, 2004 at 8:27 am

The Film Forum is the best revival house in the city and has showcased some of the best films of the past century. With their retro showcase of Film Noir, 70’s films and Sci-Fi Horror Festivals, the Film Forum beats out any other Reveival house in New York (and dare I say…The World?). Film Forum got me through my Film classess at Brooklyn College with their Annual (not anymore-but why not bring it back?) Sci-Fi/Horror Summer Festival where they have shown everything from the William Castle Gimmick classics to the recent Anime explosion of the 90’s. Film Forum is where I took my wife on one of our first dates to see “Dr. Strangelove”. It is also where I saw the classic Pacino film “Cruising” for the first time. It is also where my friend Frank and I got to see Brooklyn Classic “The Warriors” over and over again. There should be a Film Forum all over the world.

YMike
YMike on April 23, 2004 at 5:20 am

When they screened the Donavan Affair they had a full cast reading of the script with sound effects. I was there and it was really something. They just had a 3D festival and it was great to see films in that format.

br91975
br91975 on April 22, 2004 at 8:39 pm

The Film Forum has always been an independent operation, from its beginning at 80 Wooster Street to 15 Vandam Street (which was later the home of the Thalia Soho; co-founder of the former Bleecker Street Cinema Jackie Raynal’s short-lived Le Cinematheque; and is now the Vandam Playhouse) until the late 1980s at 57 Watts Street (the since-demolished structure having once served as, I believe, either a garage of some sort or a fire station) and now at 209 W. Houston, which I’m pretty sure WAS a garage in a previous life.

Gerald A. DeLuca
Gerald A. DeLuca on April 22, 2004 at 2:46 pm

This theatre has some of the best programming in American, much of it under the tutelage of Bruce Goldstein. I should add some accolades to the ones above by mentioning the enormously popular and virtually complete Fellini festival they put on, the retrospective of the films of Frank Capra…which included an exceedinly rare 1929 film called THE DONOVAN AFFAIR, for which the soundtrack was lost. It was shown here anyway. I believe that the dialogue was read aloud from a script! The Film Forum is not a trend follower but rather a trend setter.

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on April 22, 2004 at 2:27 pm

I also have one of the old programs in my desk drawer at work, from the 1989 summer sci fi horror and fantasy festival.

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on April 22, 2004 at 2:26 pm

I think an at least ten story office building. I would have to go take a look to be sure. It’s not hard for me, as it’s close to my place of work. Perhaps Film Forum itself can give you more information.

RobertR
RobertR on April 22, 2004 at 2:24 pm

We should do an entry then for that theatre, whats in it’s place now?

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on April 22, 2004 at 2:11 pm

Yes, the old Film Forum was a twin. I am not sure if Walter Reade programmed one side. I remember one screen (Film Forum 2)was revivals and the other (Film Forum 1) was avant-garde, foreign, anything else non-revival and unusual, like the Beats Festival in February 1988 where Allen Ginsberg and Herbert Huncke showed up in person !

RobertR
RobertR on April 22, 2004 at 2:07 pm

I was trying to remember information on the old Film Forum, was it a twin and didnt Walter Reade program one side?

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on April 22, 2004 at 2:04 pm

The original gimmick of “The Tingler” was “spine-tingling percepto”, (seats wired for mild shocks),that of “House On Haunted Hill” was “bone-chilling ‘emergo’”(skeleton comes out of screen and passes over audience’s heads). Both were done at the old Film Forum on Watts St. west of 6th Avenue, late Sept. 1988 “Gimmick-O-Rama”, which was somehow more fun than the new one on W. Houston just east of Varick. Glad to read they’re still doing “Tingler” and “House” in the summer sci fi fantasy and horror festival in the new location.

I quite agree, it’s one of NYC’s BEST theaters !

RobertR
RobertR on February 10, 2004 at 9:32 am

The film forum is a triplex with three small screening room type theatres. The lobby is the best thing about it, and the popcorn is always fresh and you can buy coffee and cookies. One screen is always revival and often features brand new prints. The Film Forum has revivied The Tingler a few times during its summer schlock festival and actually wired the seats. They also ran The House on Haunted Hill in Percepto. The only complaint here is the screens are small, but this is one of the last places to see revival films in a town that once had more then a dozen theatres doing it.