Palace Theatre

1564 Broadway,
New York, NY 10036

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on July 25, 2005 at 11:25 am

If you go to the next page of the above link you see the ad for the post Criterion showcase reissue of My Fair Lady in ‘71 which says in Super Panavision 70. I think we could safely assume that this is false advertising.

RobertR
RobertR on July 25, 2005 at 10:13 am

Warner Brothers called their showcase “Hollywood Showcase” when “Dead Ringer” played the Palace in 1964.

RobertR
RobertR on July 25, 2005 at 10:09 am

Sinatra never played a regular concert at the Palace, but I know that when William B. Williams died, he was one of the performers that were part of the memorial service WNEW held there.

uncleal923
uncleal923 on July 24, 2005 at 6:10 pm

Did Sinatra ever play the stage on the palace?

RobertR
RobertR on July 23, 2005 at 6:24 pm

Ray Charles & Sarah Vaughn played the Palace in 1957 with an Italian import

rlvjr
rlvjr on July 21, 2005 at 6:46 pm

JUDY GARLAND dodn’t just play the PALACE, the same show also played Washington DC’s best-ever theater, LOEW’S CAPITOL. Also in Baltimore at their lavish STANLEY, where I saw it. An hour? No, it was 2 hours.

RobertR
RobertR on July 19, 2005 at 12:44 pm

Judy performed for at least an hour, try getting a star to do that nowadays.

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on July 19, 2005 at 12:35 pm

How long was she on stage considering it was two a day 7 days a week and there was a bill of other acts?

BoxOfficeBill
BoxOfficeBill on July 17, 2005 at 7:32 am

What a downer! For fifty-one years I’ve believed that I saw “Creature” in 3-D as God meant it to be. Possibly I derived something of a 3-D effect from it by looking at it cross-eyed. As a movie-mad kid, I discovered that crossing my eyes at a flat image could do that. Years later an ophthalmologist told me (1) that there is some truth to my assumption and (2) that viewing so many movies strabismically provided good exercise for my young optic nerves. Who knows? I began wearing eyeglasses in my mid-twenties and am now a prisoner of bi-focals.

BoxOfficeBill
BoxOfficeBill on July 17, 2005 at 6:43 am

BTW, does the RKO nabe ad imply that “Creature” was not shown in 3-D? I remember seeing it that week at the Dyker and could swear that it was in 3-D. I’m certain that the Paramount showed it in 3-D.

BoxOfficeBill
BoxOfficeBill on July 17, 2005 at 6:39 am

“Blackout” opened at the Palace on 21 May 1954. The theater’s Vaudeville-cum-movie shows in those days changed every week.

I had forgotten that “Phantom of the Rue Morgue” and “Creature from the Black Lagoon” (each of which had opened separately at the Paramount earlier that Spring) toured the RKO circuit in a 3-D double-bill. And that, on the Loew’s circuit, “Red Garters” and “Top Banana” (which I believe had opened in 3-D at the Astor and the Victoria theaters respectively) made their neighborhood tours in 2-D projection. Polaroid viewing had lost its appeal.

RobertR
RobertR on July 17, 2005 at 5:12 am

Here is an ad mentioning vaudeville again in the 50's

teecee
teecee on July 15, 2005 at 8:42 am

Here is a picture of Orson Welles at the premier of Citizen Kane in 1941:

Source: MPTV
Caption: Orson Welles at the premiere of “Citizen Kane” 1941 RKO **I.V.

Caption doesn’t state location, but marquee looks like the Palace.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on July 13, 2005 at 10:59 am

In the summer of 69 they were showing double feature movies. That ended during the summer as they prepared for Applause. It has been a legit theater ever since. They were closed for 3- 4 years while they built the Doubletree. I hate the new marquee. The old one had class.

RobertR
RobertR on July 13, 2005 at 10:36 am

Playbills when Liberace played here in the 1950’s.

moviesmovies
moviesmovies on July 13, 2005 at 6:19 am

Saw ‘Applause’, ‘Woman Of The Year’, ‘Treemonisha’, A Bette Midler Concert, ‘Lorelie, and 'Shirley McClaine’ here.

jackeboy
jackeboy on July 11, 2005 at 5:54 pm

A friend of mine from high school worked here as an elevator operator during the mid seventies, and he brought me in to see the theater and Bette Midler’s show. Both were pretty mindblowing

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on July 11, 2005 at 11:19 am

Well the Music Hall was stuck with Father Goose for the Christmas show.

RobertR
RobertR on July 11, 2005 at 9:18 am

And at Christmas it was at the Palace?????????????