AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX

1998 Broadway,
New York, NY 10023

ShutterMunster
ShutterMunster on November 7, 2015 at 11:01 am

Awful business tactics on display here. Wait weeks after the tickets go on sale and are sold out to reveal this news to everyone. Fucking shameful. I spent 20 mins trying to nab those tickets only to find out it’ll be playing in a goddamn window on that massive screen. Infuriating.

amcbayplaza13
amcbayplaza13 on November 6, 2015 at 12:51 pm

AMC could kept the IMAX 70mm film much longer instead just replacing them.The IMAX 70mm films looks nicer than digital IMAX

markp
markp on November 6, 2015 at 10:39 am

I wonder if AMC even kept the 70MM projector. In most of their theatres they just rolled all film equipment right into the dumpsters.

400Blows
400Blows on November 6, 2015 at 6:30 am

Digital crap. Like watching a movie (I won’t call them “films” because they are not) on a giant television. Just give me real film projection. Real 70mm film. I’m hoping “The Hateful Eight” will play in this location’s theatre #1, during it’s 70mm Ultra Panavision run.

Giles
Giles on November 2, 2015 at 7:40 pm

correct xbs2034 – the Smithsonian Udvar Hazy IMAX screen will be IMAX-laser / 3D / 12-channel. (Downtown Washington DC Smithsonian IMAX Lockheed screen is 2D / IMAX 15-70)

what I like about the laser 3D glasses, is that a lot more light goes through to the eye, than say Dolby 3D glasses.

xbs2034
xbs2034 on October 31, 2015 at 5:29 pm

As for Dome IMAX, I saw a 45 min doc at the one in Cleveland. It certainly had some interesting things about the experience, but I felt a bit dizzy at a couple points during the movie and for about 5 mins after, plus had a small headache. Not sure I would want to see a two hour+ movie that way.

xbs2034
xbs2034 on October 31, 2015 at 5:20 pm

Well, since we know they had to get permits to do the construction needed for laser, their hand may have been forced. Perhaps January was the only construction window available for a while.

October would have been the perfect month to have done laser construction, they could have had it ready for both Star Wars and other big fall films Spectre and Mockingjay, and the October IMAX releases were not big commercial performers. And it’s disappointing that didn’t happen for whatever reason, but I would understand if at least it means we get laser early 2016 rather than late in the year.

I think the Udar Hazy in a Museum just outside DC will play Star Wars in laser IMAX 3D, but yeah, both that and Jordan’s are like 5 hours drive away from NYC (maybe ultra-devoted fans will do it, but I don’t think I’ve ever gone more than 90 mins away just to see a movie).

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on October 31, 2015 at 1:43 pm

And I think the DC and Philly are dome IMAX, which IMO tends to be weird for regular movies.

Going up to Jordan’s north of Boston would be the only option in the entire ultra-populated great NYC area.

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on October 31, 2015 at 1:42 pm

Still seems bizarre to me. To remove the 70mm right before SW just to get laser like 1-2 months sooner? No film is bigger than SW. Nothing is as impressive. Ridiculous decision.

digital3d
digital3d on October 31, 2015 at 1:08 pm

Exactly. Things like Captain America Civil War and Batman vs. Superman should look nice in laser, taking that both BvS and Civl War being partially shot in IMAX I rather see those (and all those other IMAX films in 2016) in laser than ONE Star Wars movie in 70mm.

If you REALLY want to see Star Wars in 70mm, there are places in DC and Philadelphia showing it. Those are a couple hours of driving away from NYC, but it might be worth it for the hardcore Star Wars fan. But don’t forget; Laser has “the same aspect as film and is the brightest 3D in world.” So it’s something that would be a nice add to Lincoln Square’s IMAX.

xbs2034
xbs2034 on October 31, 2015 at 12:52 pm

I agree.

All they’ve said before is IMAX plans to install the 70+ laser systems they’ve signed by the end of 2016 (already have the 15 or so they were planning for 2015), so if one of the issues is Lincoln has already removed their film equipment in anticipation of laser, I would prefer it if it means laser in January vs this time next year.

digital3d
digital3d on October 31, 2015 at 11:47 am

Honestly, I think Lincoln Square is doing the right thing. Laser will last much longer and be used much more often that something like 70mm. Yeah we gotta see Force Awakens in regular Digital 3D IMAX, but at least we can enjoy laser films a bit sooner at Lincoln Square.

ridethectrain
ridethectrain on October 23, 2015 at 3:32 pm

AMC Empire 25 Dolby Prime will be 2D, they said that Dolby 3D has to be installed, it dosen’t work with Real 3D

cetrata
cetrata on October 23, 2015 at 2:28 pm

I got a letter saying it was disneys decision about the 70mm.

Dear Chris,

This is a Disney studio decision.  The Lincoln Square cinema is in the process of upgrading to IMAX laser, but it will not be completed for Star Wars.

There will be a handful of 70mm prints in 2D.  Please visit our website or click here for a current list of the locations.

Regards,

David Keighley

CQO, EVP IMAX Corp.

theatrefan
theatrefan on October 21, 2015 at 3:37 pm

Just saw the IMAX list for Star Wars TFA, the nearest 15/70 IMAX Theatres for us is Philadelphia & Washington D.C. otherwise it’s just the plain 2K IMAX Digital here as they won’t have the laser system installed until next year. I wonder if Dolby Vision & Dolby Atmos at the Empire 25 will be better in the Prime auditorium for this film.

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on October 20, 2015 at 2:51 pm

Awfully jealous of the 96' IMAX laser screen at the Chinese.

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on October 20, 2015 at 2:51 pm

Yeah I would have come in for the 15/70 Awakens on 100', but heck no for the digital when having to come in from the suburbs. Interstellar was amazing in 15/70 as was Dark Knight as all the others. Man, what a bummer, finally I thought we’d see SW in gigantic IMAX scale. Absurd. And instead of going laser, they just shut down the Nyack IMAX. So basically 270 miles to see it in real IMAX if you live in this area. Pretty sad for such a rich populated area as the greater NYC region. We really have the saddest theaters in this region.

cetrata
cetrata on October 20, 2015 at 10:16 am

Imax did a print for interstellar for lincoln square though. And once word of mouth leaks that it’s not in film at Lincoln square., some may opt to cancel sales in favor of a different theater.

xbs2034
xbs2034 on October 20, 2015 at 7:10 am

The problem is 15/70 prints cost 30k+ back in 2013, and if anything are more expensive now given how rarely film is made. As I’ve said, Lincoln Square is probably a victim of its own success: why pay all that money for a laser install (though seems like it may come early 2016- fingers crossed) or a film print when it already has nearly sold out the entire first weekend (I have to decide between IMAX at Empire which is already filling up, or standard Real D at theaters closer to me) In the cheaper digital format.

cetrata
cetrata on October 20, 2015 at 6:56 am

If you want to see this in 70mm at lincoln square, please send your tweets to this @eileenatimax. She usually responds to every post and enough of you could cause her to change her mind.

celboy
celboy on October 20, 2015 at 5:42 am

I was at the theater last night and was able to get tickets. I went there figuring fandango would crash.

What was a little sad was when the manager coming out “informing us” that he didn’t know when exactly seats would be released and to try the internet first. You would think the actual “physical” theater would have more power but I guess the corporate world relies on the internet more. A little surprising.

Fortunately that all changed about a half hour later.But those seats did go fast.

xbs2034
xbs2034 on October 19, 2015 at 11:02 pm

Yes, Star Wars will be both letter and pillarboxed (I.e. windowed) even for the IMAX shot footage, same as all the recent digital releases at Lincoln. I’m not sure of the exact IMAX screen width used in digital, but I heard around 75 feet (with 25 feet taken up by black bars on the side), which seems about right based how it looks.

It is still bigger than the other IMAX locations in NYC, but not as dramatically so (other than Penn Station IMAX, which seems really quite small to me).

xbs2034
xbs2034 on October 19, 2015 at 10:57 pm

Nope, there are six laser 3D locations in the U.S.: TCL Chinese and Universal Citywalk in LA, Meteron in San Fran, Boeing Science Center in Seattle, and the two closest to NYC (though still pretty far) the Sunbrella theater in Reading MA, and Airbus IMAX in Chantily VA. So more than just LA, but clearly focused more on that region.

And IMAX/AMC didn’t just kill 15/70 now, that basically happened at the end of 2013, with anything since (like Interstellar) just being a special occasion. But it is too bad how second class the Lincoln IMAX became after that compared to what it used to be as a 15/70 location.

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on October 19, 2015 at 10:52 pm

How does the big 100' screen here work for this SW release then? They will show it in digital 3D on that screen with not just letterboxing but pillar boxing too???? What width of screen do they even use? It doesn’t like it’s worth the incredible bother to see it on this screen then if a local digital IMAX can do it at 60' width then right?

And go figure, JJ is saying that everyone NEEDS to see it on a real IMAX 3D screen. Yeah, where???? One theater in the entire country????

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on October 19, 2015 at 10:45 pm

So basically one or two theaters in LA are the only place in the entire U.S. to see it in true giant screen with the 1.43 for the special scene and 3D?