Loew's Paradise Theatre

2413 Grand Concourse,
Bronx, NY 10468

PeterApruzzese
PeterApruzzese on February 26, 2008 at 4:15 am

Well, they did the conversion during their big renovation, which was prior to us making the offer of the gear back in the spring of 2006. They would need to turn the center box back into a small booth to show films, which would involve some reconstruction. Not likely at this point, from what we were told.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on February 26, 2008 at 3:43 am

Hmmmm. Converting the booth to a luxury box strikes me as a rather short-sighted move. Why not keep the booth in reserve – and take up the generous offer of free equipment – just to maintain the Paradise’s capacity to run a film or series of films should the prospects for such an event ever arise? So much for the hopes of ever catching a flick at what we can now safely describe as a FORMER movie palace?

PeterApruzzese
PeterApruzzese on February 25, 2008 at 4:41 pm

The Paradise was offered a complete working 35mm setup at no charge (as well as the programming of a full classic film series schedule) a few years ago and was not interested. Sadly, the original booth has been converted into “luxury boxes”, so there would need to be construction to accommodate projection gear.

movieguy
movieguy on February 25, 2008 at 3:59 pm

I just spoke to an agent at the box office.There is boxing this Thursday and on April 26th a Latin concert.More events will be added by the middle of the week.

Showing older movies from the 30’s-80’s when no big events are taking place would be a good way to make $$$.Charge $6.00 and do a double feature.

They just have to get projection equipment and set up for films.

movieguy
movieguy on February 25, 2008 at 5:34 am

The phone # for The Paradise on the top of this page is INCORRECT it should be changed to 718-563-2222

movieguy
movieguy on February 25, 2008 at 5:32 am

I just called @ 12:35AM and the number was working.Someone DID answer “Utopia’s Paradise Theatre” they were security but said to call the box office in the morning.

I will check it out and see what info I can come up with.

beardbear31
beardbear31 on February 25, 2008 at 4:45 am

and now their website seems to be down….

derosa
derosa on December 24, 2007 at 2:58 am

My uncle was Jerry DeRosa. He managed the Paradise Theatre from about 1930 until his death in 1945. In fact, he actually died of a heart attack in the theatre. His brother was my uncle Eugene DeRosa, who as an architect, along with my father Felix DeRosa, designed a number of famous theatres in New York in the 1920s. If anyone has any information these three DeRosa brothers, I would be very appreciative. I have so little information myself. NOTE: Jerry was born in 1891 in the region of Calabria, Italy. He arrived at Ellis Island in 1897.

mp775
mp775 on September 9, 2007 at 3:23 am

The video you have from the library is the film that is being shown at the Portage next Saturday. It was written and directed by Steve Samtur of Back in The Bronx. It is not the same video as the YouTube clip.

johnblattnerstudios
johnblattnerstudios on September 4, 2007 at 2:17 am

Yeah…the video that i’m holding is at View link I don’t know if it’s the same thing. Its on VHS.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on September 3, 2007 at 9:44 pm

Thanks for sharing. That clip is actually from an installment in a long running PBS series featuring walking tours through various parts of NYC. Previous episodes include “A Walk down 42nd Street” and “A Walk Up Broadway,” each featuring host David Hartman and NY historian Barry Lewis. It’s an excellent series with lots of great footage, photos and historical anecdotes.

johnblattnerstudios
johnblattnerstudios on September 3, 2007 at 6:28 pm

There IS a documentary film about the Paradise Theater. A clip of the film is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmOI95U40nA I’m borrowing a copy on video from the New York Public Library (I don’t know if it’s the same thing as the YouTube video I showed you…but it might be). The Paradise was one of the grand movie palaces of it’s day. I wish they would show movies again!

mp775
mp775 on August 28, 2007 at 9:19 pm

The 2003 documentary Loew’s Paradise Theatre, narrated by WPIX anchor Marvin Scott, will be shown on Saturday, September 15 at the Portage Theater as part of the “Preserving Palaces” documentary film festival, along with The Wizard of Austin Boulevard and Memoirs of a Movie Palace. The festival begins on Friday, September 14 with Uptown: Portrait of a Palace and Preserve Me a Seat (chronicling efforts to save the Indian Hills in Omaha, Gayety/Publix in Boston, DuPage in Lombard, and Villa in Salt Lake City). A theatre preservation discussion panel will follow the films on Saturday night. For complete information, visit www.portagetheater.org.

rlvjr
rlvjr on August 19, 2007 at 6:14 am

MOAN! MOAN! MOAN! BOO! HOO! HOO! If you really want to find the website, just Google: Utopia’s Paradise. That’s it. It took me less than 30 seconds.

After all the talk, we get a poster who moans about tickets costing more than $50. How shocking! A live show costing more than $50 —– for the good seats! Alert the media! GROW UP! That’s what shows cost these days. I’ll say it again: Sign off and go buy a ticket. Learn to live some sort of life besides the internet.

derekwoods
derekwoods on August 8, 2007 at 7:13 pm

I have enjoyed many of the posts, and thank all the positive responses about the Bronx. This years Bronx Ball was held at the Paradise, so you might like to check out the video I posted. Some shots of the interior (www.youtube.com/dwiproductions)
Stay Well
Derek Woods
Producer/Host
Bronx Magazine

Broan
Broan on July 29, 2007 at 4:31 pm

Perhaps english did not realize the dateline was July 17, 2007.

mauriceski
mauriceski on July 29, 2007 at 1:03 am

Warren, Warren, WARREN, what are you trying to intimate by referring to something that happend over twenty years ago. The Bronx is Safer than a lot of places in Surburbia. Do you agree?

IanJudge
IanJudge on July 11, 2007 at 6:44 pm

This is why theaters have insurance! These kinds of claims happen all the time, but are not usually in the press unless someone is connected or very very whiney.

charliek
charliek on July 11, 2007 at 2:22 pm

Well, rlvjr, I’d consider buying a ticket to the Paradise (I live mere blocks away) if ticket prices for ground-floor seats ever go below $50.

By the way, here’s an article about the Paradise that appeared in yesterday’s Daily News:

Visitor slaps theater with lawsuit after fall

BY CHRISENA COLEMAN

Tuesday, July 10th 2007

A Bronx man who saw stars at the Paradise Theater after falling down a rickety staircase has slapped the theater and the synagogue that hosted a dinner there with a lawsuit.

Val Karan and his wife, Annette, had gone to the restored grand movie palace on the Grand Concourse for a religious dinner June 7.

The Karans said there was a makeshift stage constructed over seating to create a dining area, the theater was poorly lit, tables were so close it was hard to move and the stairs were constructed from plywood.

“We felt unsafe and many of the elderly people started to leave after the first course, because we feared the stage would collapse,” said Annette Karan. “The chairs were too close and we could barely move … my husband fell down about four steps.”

Annette Karan said he didn’t make a fuss because the rabbi was about to speak, but when they arrived home he was in excruciating pain. He went to the doctor because the pain was unbearable, she said. X-rays showed Karan had suffered a broken leg, with a fracture of his right fibula.

Attorney Al Bernstone, who is representing the Karans in a lawsuit seeking an as-yet undetermined amount in damages, charged that the theater was negligent and should have constructed a stage that was safe.

“This could have been avoided if the staging area was constructed properly,” said Bernstone.

A woman who answered the telephone at the Riverdale Jewish Center said the executive director was not available for comment. Paradise Theater reps were on vacation.

“The theater was not set up to handle the crowd that came out for the occasion,” said Annette Karan. “It was a bad situation from the minute we walked through the door.”

The black-tie Bronx Ball was held at the theater two weeks later, apparently without incident.

rlvjr
rlvjr on July 11, 2007 at 6:49 am

MAY I OFFER SOME ADVICE? Sign off of Cinema Treasures right now and do one of two things (1) sign on Ticketmaster and buy a ticket to an upcoming Paradise show, or (2) sign off your P/C and go to the theatre box office.

The theatre is re-opened, renovated and no longer inactive. They have a new “NIGHT IN PARADISE” coming up. The last one was 5 hours and 13 minutes; quite a lot for the money. My wife and I attended even though the 5 hour (300 mile) commute made it inconvenient. If you live in or near the BRONX, what’s your excuse?

Sure, I’d rather go there for “Pirates #3” and a $10.50 admission; but that’s not the current choice.

mauriceski
mauriceski on May 27, 2007 at 12:47 pm

Has anyone reported about the six hour Mother’s Day Show,that was given on Mother’s Day at the Paradise?

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on May 26, 2007 at 8:27 am

The original concept of the developers was to lease the building to Paramount-Publix circuit and it was to open as the Venetian Theatre. However Paramount had over-expanded their construction programme and had second thoughts about moving into neighborhoods. Loew’s Inc. didn’t have an outlet in the Fordham area and picked up the option. Ground was broken for construction to begin in April 1928 and the name ‘Venetian’ was retained during construction. It was in the summer of 1929 that Loew’s announced the name change to ‘Paradise’.

Loew’s Paradise Theatre opened on 7th September 1929 with the MGM movie “Mysterious Fu Manchu” starring Warner Oland. The famous British organist Harold Ramsay opened the Robert Morton ‘Wonder’ organ.

TimothyRuf
TimothyRuf on May 26, 2007 at 12:15 am

Greetings From Milwaukee,

First off, for those of you who read this page fully, you have noticed a number of postings by Jim Rankin. Mr. Rankin passed away in January of 2007. He was well known in Milwaukee for his extensive knowledge of Theaters both here and elsewhere.

Secondly, I am very pleased to find that an Eberson theater has been brought back to life and it seems it has been done well. I hope some day to see it and others designed by him.

I spotted on one of the links a photo of the procenium and was wondering if anyone else had a photo of it that might be sharper… no offence intended, dark theaters are not easy to get a good shot in, more so with digital cameras than older slide/film cameras when we could ‘push’ the film. Anyway, if someone would have one, would you be kind enought to send it to me at ? Thanks.

I’m working on an article about atmospheric theaters and noticed that a link on this page also referred to this theater as the Paradise/Venetian. Any further information on this would be greatly appreciated.

And lastly.. I had to be done sometime.. does anyone know the opening date for this theater?

Thanks Everyone!

Tim

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on May 24, 2007 at 12:32 pm

Hey Lost. What timing! I found the same site, but clicked one level deeper. Anyway… Guess we should close this topic since this page belongs to the Loew’s Paradise.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on May 24, 2007 at 12:30 pm

Thanks for leading me in the right direction, Warren.

I found this website that identifies the building in question as the former Jamaica Arena. Not a definitive resolution to the building’s identity, but it makes perfect sense.