Loew's Valencia Theatre

165-11 Jamaica Avenue,
Jamaica, NY 11432

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on September 19, 2007 at 3:59 pm

I figured that the first movie involved some creature running amok. I never thought of Jayne Mansfield. I cheated on the second one so I can’t take credit for it. Did I win a free ticket to the Valencia?

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on September 19, 2007 at 3:54 pm

The answer, for when Warren’s link is taken down, is “20 Million Miles to Earth” and “The 27th Day.”

and I was almost right — there WAS a Jayne Mansfield picture playing in Jamaica that date, but not with the ad line “Not Since ‘King Kong’ Has The Screen Seen Anything Like It!” although both pictures had stars with prominent chests.

PKoch
PKoch on September 19, 2007 at 3:53 pm

Interesting, Warren, that it would have been fight FILMS, then, rather than closed-circuit TV coverage of the fight.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on September 19, 2007 at 3:51 pm

P.S. Though it’s not mentioned in the ad, Loew’s Valencia was also showing “blow-by-blow” film coverage of the recent Patterson-Rademacher heavyweight match. On 9/14/57, which happened to be a Saturday, the last complete program started at 10:23 PM with the fight films, followed by the second feature at 10:44 and the main at 12:03 AM. Exit time would have been in the vicinity of 1:30 AM.

PKoch
PKoch on September 19, 2007 at 3:50 pm

Excuse me, “Quatermass And The Pit” was the British title of the 1967 film released as “Five Million Years To Earth” in the USA. The second, 1957 Quatermass film, again with Brian Donlevy in the title role, was titled simply “Quatermass 2”.

There was also a TV series titled “Quatermass And The Pit”.

PKoch
PKoch on September 19, 2007 at 3:42 pm

Thanks, Warren.

Which two films were Columbia releases ?

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on September 19, 2007 at 3:37 pm

Both were Columbia releases. Also showing in Jamaica on 9/14/57 were revivals of “The Thing” & “Mighty Joe Young” at the RKO Alden; “Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter?” & “The Third Key” at the Skouras Merrick; “Sweet Smell of Success” & “The Ride Back” at the Hillside (no longer Loew’s); and a triple bill of “Escape to Burma” & “The Americano” & “Creature With the Atom Brain” at the Savoy: www.i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/Warrengwhiz/val957.jpg

PKoch
PKoch on September 19, 2007 at 3:31 pm

You’re welcome, Ed. It’s million of years, instead of millions of miles. I saw all three Quatermass films at Film Forum in lower Manhattan in August 1987, my first time to one of their summer sci fi film festivals. The line I remember from “Quatermass And The Pit” was Quatermass saying, “Those pipes are full of human pulp !” and seeing some monstrous bell-shaped thing, like The Addams' Family’s Cousin Itt, sloshing around in dark liquid goo inside of some huge septic tank.

PKoch
PKoch on September 19, 2007 at 3:26 pm

Rodan was released in 1956, “Vertigo” in 1958.

“Vertigo” would have been awesome at the Valencia !

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on September 18, 2007 at 11:57 pm

If the correct answer for the second movie turns out to be the “27th Day”, I would have never gotten the answer right. I have never heard of that movie.

My first choice for the main feature was “Godzilla”. As Ed pointed out, the year (1956) would be wrong for “Godzilla” so I went with “20 Million Miles to Earth”. I also considered “Rodan” but I’m not sure when “Rodan” was released in the U.S.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on September 18, 2007 at 11:26 pm

Yup. Thanks Pete! I now recall each of those films – just a difference of 15 million years! I never saw “Quatermass and the Pit,” though I am aware of its existence.

PKoch
PKoch on September 18, 2007 at 11:22 pm

No, Ed, I think you’re confusing it with “Five Million Years To Earth”, about the Martian spaceship found in the Hobbs End subway station in London, the third Quatermass film, the first two being “The Quatermass Experiment”, with Brian Donlevy in the title role and Richard Wordsworth as the hollow-eyed astronaut Victor Carune, who slowly and painfully degenerates into a blob of tentacle-waving goo that must be electrocuted near Westminster Abbey before it reproduces itself and consumes all life on Earth. The American release was titled “The Creeping Unknown”. The rarely seen second film was “Quatermass And The Pit”.

“20 Million Miles To Earth” was the Harryhausen-Charles H. Schneer film about the giant T-Rex-like Ymir from Venus. The Kraken from the 1981 Harryhausen-Charles H. Schneer film “Clash Of The Titans” was very similar to it.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on September 18, 2007 at 11:14 pm

Never heard of that one either. So what is the first film… “20 Million Miles to Earth?” That’s one of the Quartermass films from Britain, isn’t it?

PKoch
PKoch on September 18, 2007 at 11:10 pm

Thanks, Lost Memory. I don’t think I’d ever heard or read about this film !

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on September 18, 2007 at 11:08 pm

I cheated on the second movie:

“The 27th (Twenty-Seventh) Day, the 1957 William Asher (director of the "Bewitched” TV series) science fiction thriller (“Terror From Outer Space!”; “Mightiest shocker the screen ever had the guts to make!”; “Five people given the power to destroy nations! What will they do? What would you do?”; “Chinese peasant girl! Russian Soldier! English bathing beauty! American newspaperman! German scientist!”; “These five …Have been given the power to destroy every human being on earth!”; “Screen Play by John Mantley Based on His Novel”) starring Gene Barry, Valerie French, George Voskovec, Arnold Moss, and Stefan Schnabel".

PKoch
PKoch on September 18, 2007 at 10:42 pm

“20 Million Miles to Earth” plus “Earth Vs. The Flying Saucers” would have made it a Ray Harryhausen FX double feature.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on September 18, 2007 at 10:36 pm

The first would have to be Jayne Mansfield in “The Girl Can’t Help It” (and indeed the screen had never seen anything like [them]) and the second feature has many shocking possibilities but none that I can place in 1957…Streisand as Yentl? Lucy as Mame? Liberace as straight? All mind-boggling, yet none correct.

PKoch
PKoch on September 18, 2007 at 10:18 pm

“Earth Vs. The Flying Saucers” ?

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on September 18, 2007 at 10:05 pm

Hmmm. That first tag sounds like logical hyperbole for the original “Godzilla”, but I know that movie was released in the U.S. a year earlier. And that line would make too much sense. I’ll bet they’re a pair of outlandish tags for an AIP horror double-bill! I’m sure if we search the net hard enough, we’ll find the films – so spill it quick, Warren! Now my curiosity is piqued!

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on September 18, 2007 at 9:57 pm

I’ll take a guess at the first movie. Was it “20 Million Miles to Earth”? I have no idea what the second movie could have been.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on September 18, 2007 at 9:41 pm

I found the titles of the two movies being shown at Loew’s Valencia on September 14, 1957. But before revealing them, let’s see how many of us can guess the films' titles from their advertising blurbs. The main feature: “Not Since ‘King Kong’ Has The Screen Seen Anything Like It!” The second feature: “Mightiest Shocker The Screen Ever Had The Guts To Make!”

PKoch
PKoch on September 18, 2007 at 3:30 pm

Thanks for posting that, Bway, I’ve noticed that myself.

Bway
Bway on September 18, 2007 at 1:40 am

The Tabernacle of Prayer took over the Valencia before the El closed, even if by a few months. I have seen photos of the 168th Street station of the jamaica el on September 11, 1977, the last day of the el service, and the cross for Tabernacle of Prayer was already on the Valencia building.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on September 16, 2007 at 2:22 pm

The elevated subway line in downtown Jamaica survived until 1977, the same year as the closings of the Valencia, Macy’s on 165th Street, and the Long Island Press. The Gertz department store outlasted them, closing at the end of December, 1980.

kong1911
kong1911 on September 16, 2007 at 2:14 pm

Veyong, I can’t be sure of the exact date. Mabe it was 1960 but I do know it was at the Valencia. The El train was still there. The electric buses were running on Jamacia Ave. I can still see the goldfish in the lobby, the huge Ben-Hur posters and billboards in and outside the theater and I was so impressed with the woodcarvings all over the walls.