Showing 1,776 - 1,800 of 1,888 comments found
In this link to a photograph dated 1940 from the Library of Congress, the marquee of the Roosevelt is visible on the right, playing “Brother Orchid” with Anne Sothern and Edward G. Robinson. Across State Street from the theater is Marshall Field’s department store. The photo is taken looking from Randolph Street.
Following is a photo of the auditorium of the Garrick, taken by early preservation and photographer Richard Nickel, around the time of the theater’s demolition (1961). Note Louis Sullivan’s ornate plasterwork. From the Library of Congress.
Here is a link to a photograph of the Rialto Square, dated the year it opened, 1926. From the Universtity of Minnesota Libraries Collection.
The Frolic was one of Chicago’s more unusual theaters—a “backwards” theater where patrons entered at the screen. Instead of seeing the screen when you entered the auditorium, you would see the back wall.
The Rhodes once had a miniature forecourt Ã¡ la the one at Grauman’s Chinese Theatre in its lobby, complete with foot and handprints of movie stars.
The LaSalle was actually demolished in spring of 1950, but the construction of the church was delayed by a couple of harsh Chicago winters, and St. Peter’s wasn’t dedicated until early 1953.
Here is a link to a site which shows a famous photograph of the heartbreaking demolition of the “Fabulous Fox”.
The Norshore closed in 1957 and was demolished in 1960.
Following is a link to a photograph of the Riviera around the time it opened (1920) as the Astor. From the University of Minnesota Libraries Collection.
Following is a link to a photograph of the Majestic shortly after opening. From the University of Minnesota Libraries Collection.
Here is a link to a photograph from around the time the Riviera opened (1926) showing the theater’s original marquee. From the University of Minnesota Libraries Collection.
Following is a link to a photograph dated 1927 of the Garfield Theatre’s exterior. From the University of Minnesota Libraries Collection.
Following is a link to a photograph from the mid-20s of the United Masonic Temple Building, which houses the Oriental Theatre. The smaller building to the left is the Delaware Building, which is still standing, and is today the oldest remaining building in the Loop, dating to a couple years after the Great Fire (1871). The building in the distance to the right is the old Masonic Temple Building, originally the Capitol Building (1891), by John Wellborn Root, the Loop’s first skyscraper. It was razed in 1939, and replaced with a Streamline building that housed the Telenews/Loop Theatre from 1940 until the mid-80s.
Here is a link to a photo dated 1917, the year of the Woods' opening, showing the theater’s exterior. The Schiller Building, which housed the Garrick Theatre, is just visible on the far left side of the photo. From the University of Minnesota Libraries collection.
Here is a link to a photo dated 1922, the year of the Astor’s opening, of the theater’s exterior. From the University of Minnesota library collection.
Ken, I have a copy of the movie listings from the Chicago Tribune from the day I was born (6/25/69) and adult movies seemed to be abounding in Chicago theaters at that time. The World for instance was playing “The Taming” (with “X-Adults Only!” under a picture of a woman’s face in lettering almost as big as the film’s title), Russ Meyer’s “Vixen” playing at the Loop, “Felicia” at the Town (today’s Park West) and “The Ecstasies of Women” playing at the Capri, which was at Van Buren near Michigan Avenue.
The Rialto was built for the Jones, Linick & Schaefer circuit, which included, among others, the Orpheum, Randolph and Plaza Theatres.
From around the 40s until it closed about 1970, the Lexington was called the Lex.
During the late 40s/early 50s, the Lex was operated by the Illinois and Indiana (II) Theatres circuit.
During the late 40s and early 50s, the Gayety was part of the Illinois and Indiana (II) Theatres circuit.
During the late 40s and early 50s, the Linden was part of the Illinois and Indiana (II) Theatres chain.
During the late 40s/early 50s, the Owl was part of the Illinois and Indiana Theatres chain.
Actually, this theater operated into the mid-to-late 60s before closing. It was last run by the Goodman and Harrison circuit during the 50s and 60s.
Here is a link to a photograph from 1927 showing the intersection of Clark and Madison Streets, with the marquee of the Adelphi Theatre on the far left edge of the photo. From the Chicago Daily News collection of the Library of Congress.
Here is a link to a photograph from 1903, showing the exterior of the Iroquois not long before the tragic fire occurred. From the Chicago Daily News collection of the Library of Congress.