Showing 1,851 - 1,875 of 1,906 comments found
A wonderful 1940s photo (and further information) of the El Rey can be found on the following website:
There are before and after photos of the Parkside/Fox Theatre showing the hideous 1960s remodeling of its facade on the website below:
There is a vintage photo of the Irving Theatre on the website below:
There is a more recent photo of the Coronet as well as further information on the following website:
There are some great before and after photos of the Coliseum (showing it in its movie house days, during its conversion into housing/retail, and its current appearance) at the following website:
There is a nice photo and more information about the Balboa at the following website:
There is a nice photo and a bit more information about the Bridge Theatre at this website:
Paul, the Stadium, better known by its post-1969 name, the Evanston, has its own entry on this website-
Just FYI, unfortunately, this isn’t the former Loop/Telenews Theatre—it’s a former storefront which the City of Chicago website story refers to. The old Loop Theatre next to the Chicago Theatre is at 165 N. State Street and is now vacant.
This theater was originally opened in the 20s as the Alcyon, but given its current name when it was remodeled in the early 60s.
The Embassy opened in 1926, for the Marks Brothers chain on Fullerton Avenue. In the 30s and 40s, it was operated by the Essaness circuit.
After it was demolished many years ago, an Osco Drug Store was built on the site.
The enormous “atomic” sculpture on the Hillside’s roof was taken down not long ago, probably within the past year, for decades visible from the Eisenhower Expressway, which goes right by the former movie house.
The long-ago closed Pantheon was torn down in 1991. During demolition, a portion of the remaining terra cotta facade was removed. It now is in the collection of the St. Ignatius College Prep School in Chicago. The high school has a very large collection of relics from long-lost Chicago buildings displayed throughout its campus, including fragments of other movie palaces like the Paradise and the Granada.
You’re right, the Iroquois/Colonial Theatre stood on the site of the present Oriental Theatre (see the listing on this site for the Colonial Theatre, Chicago for more info). However, the facade of the Oriental/Ford Center does not contain any of the old Iroquois/Colonial Building. It was completely demolished in 1925-6 to make way for the Oriental Theater and Masons Building, the office tower which is built over and around the theater.
The theatre Mr. Coursey is referring to is the second (or New) Orpheum Theatre which opened in 1924 (see the entry on this site for this theatre)
The original architect of the Rialto was Thomas W. Lamb.
The former Dundee Theatre has just recently been reopened after being refurbished as the nightclub and concert venue, Clearwater. See the article from the 12/6/02 Daily Herald newspaper:
The former 5-7 Water Tower Place theaters have been reopened recently by the Village Theatres chain (which also operate the Village, Village North, Biograph in Chicago and the Golf Glen in suburban Niles, to name a few). The Water Tower Cinemas, as the triplex is now called, specializes in art and foreign films.
The Blue Man Group has been playing at the Briar Street Theater at 3133 N. Halsted St. for at least a couple years now. It’s never played the Lake Shore/Broadway.
The Star & Garter opened in 1908, and after years as a legitimate house and movie theater, became a burlesque house, for which it was best know. In its last years, it was once again screening movies. It was demolished in 1973.
In 1994, the 3/12 Kimball organ of the Bagdad Theatre in Portland, OR (1927), was installed in the Galaxy, where it is played before films on Friday and Saturday nights, as well as to accompany the theater’s silent film series.
The Bagdad’s original Kimball organ is now in the Galaxy Theatre in Guttenburg, NJ.
John Eberson contributed greatly to the design of the interior of the Worth, which was done in a highly unusual blend of Egyptian, Art Deco and atmospheric.
Opened in 1928, the El Portal was built for Ernie Craigin and William Pike. Craigin later served as Mayor of Las Vegas during the 30s and 40s.
It was designed by the Salt Lake City-based firm of Ryberg & Sorenson.
According to the Chicago Tribune, the Broadway will be reopening this fall after being dark over a year, for live theater. The theater will also be returning to its original name, the Lakeshore, when it reopens.