Loew's Kings Theatre

1027 Flatbush Avenue,
Brooklyn, NY 11226

Showing 176 - 200 of 1,496 comments

BobbyS on July 25, 2011 at 7:11 am

May I suggest Cinema Treasure name tags with our names. I expect it to be as exciting as it was years ago when the theater opened its doors for the first time. Actually more exciting because so many palaces were opening in the 1920’s it was “common” to see what one would outdo the other. This will be a real Phoenix rising from the ashes!

LuisV
LuisV on July 25, 2011 at 5:49 am

What exciting news! I too expect to be there for opening night. Perhaps we will all get to meet each other then? :–)

BobbyS on July 24, 2011 at 9:07 pm

It is indeed confirmed fact. The organ was removed from the home in Il. and is on its way to Oklahoma before being shipped out east. I can hardly wait to attend the re-opening in 2014. That will quite a night!

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on July 24, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Hey Bobby… Thanks for sharing. Is that a confirmed fact? If so, perhaps the stars are truly in alignment for this old gal! Terrific news!

BobbyS on July 24, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Just heard the organ that graced the theater at the opening was just returned to the Loew’s Kings from the owner in Illinois. It will be shipped to Oklahoma for a restoration before coming home to the King’s. Isn’t that great news?

BobbyS on June 12, 2011 at 5:49 am

Has anyone seen any progress yet? I would think major things are happining at this point to be ready for a 2014 opening.

BobbyS on April 14, 2011 at 8:10 am

I didn’t realize the Brookyln Paramount was stilled owned and used by the college. I agree with Scott. It is a real gem and would be thrilling to see it once again returned to all of her glory!

kong1911
kong1911 on April 14, 2011 at 6:59 am

To LuisV, There will be a One Credit Course/Conference at the old Brooklyn Paramount tomorrow, April 15 that is open and free to the public. We’ll see if there is any talk re: the above. For more info see the Brooklyn Paramount page.

LuisV
LuisV on April 14, 2011 at 5:45 am

BobbyS, I have a lot of hope for the Brooklyn Paramount. First, it is owned by a local college and not a for profit business. Second, downtown Brooklyn is fast becoming one of NY’s prime arts districts. There is so much development going on. I expect this theater to ultimately be renovated. Brooklyn has 2.6MM people. There is room for 2 restored palaces. :–)

BobbyS on April 13, 2011 at 10:52 pm

The brass plaque of Marcus Loew is in the upper lobby of Loews Lincoln Square theater in Ny upper west side. All their auditoriums are named after famous Loews theaters in NY. Of course now its called AMC Loews Lincoln Square. At least AMC had the guts to keep the Loews name. Scott, you are right Joe’s love was the Paradise and would have loved to usher there but was too young. I never saw him at the Marbro either. I moved in 1960. The Brookyln Paramount was in excellent shape ten years ago when I visited. Alot better than the King’s and would not take much to bring it back to life. But I doubt if anyone would want too with the Loew’s Kings being in the news so much and with all the talk of a new life.

WilliamMcQuade
WilliamMcQuade on April 13, 2011 at 2:54 pm

When the Triboro went down, I wonder what happened to the brass plaque with his likeness on it that was on the lobby wall. I think this may have been in all his theaters

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on April 13, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Curiously, Marcus Loew is buried in Kings County in the family mausoleum in Maimonides Cemetery. He died, however, in 1927, and never had any participation in the building of Loew’s Kings. Here’s a photo link: View link

BobbyS on April 11, 2011 at 11:01 am

Excellent point about Stallone Scott. I’m still laughing!! I figured Joe Ducibella must have started as an usher at the Marbro in 1961 since he turned 16 at that time. I don’t think B&K hired under that age. I am still wondering if they will call the Kings Loews’s Kings or just The Kings. The Paradise in the Bronx is called The Paradise in ads, but Loew’s Paradise is still on the sign above the front entrance.

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on April 11, 2011 at 9:44 am

In my days working for Loews we hired the ushers that would fit into the 4 or 5 Red Jackets that we had and the Black Bowties,you had to wear your own Black or Dark Blue Pants and White Shirt.Those were the days.

BobbyS on April 10, 2011 at 9:01 pm

I don’t ever remember a female usher at any B&K theater in Chicago. Mostly always at the candy counters and ticket booths so probably the story is true about Barbra Streisand. I wonder if Sly Stone as well as Neil Diamond is true about them being ushers at the Kings. Maybe Babs has a soft spot in her heart to do a beneifit there. That would indeed be something!!!!!

ZiegfeldMan
ZiegfeldMan on April 10, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Interesting-from Barbra Streisand’s website:

The Loew’s Kings Theater in Brooklyn
APRIL 6, 2011, 4:54 am

I was happy to hear recently that the Loew’s Kings Theater in Brooklyn, New York will be undergoing renovations for a reopening in 2014 . It was one of those beautiful old movie palaces of the past. I was 13 years old when I first started spending many a wonderful afternoon there, partly because it had double features, air conditioning and great ice cream cones.

I’d like to set the record straight on one point. Some articles have said that I was an usher there. That wasn’t the case … I was just a kid, a paying customer, a movie lover. Just for the record, a few years later, I did usher in Manhattan’s theater district, which was wonderful, because I got to see the plays for free.

BobbyS on April 7, 2011 at 8:47 pm

All the owner needs is a price from the Ace group or whoever is in charge and the organ would be headed back to Flatbush…All crated up and roar'n to go!

cmastersin
cmastersin on April 7, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Since the Wheaton Grand renovation project is in limbo; wouldn’t it be nice if they would return the Wonder Morton back, to the Kings?

ZiegfeldMan
ZiegfeldMan on April 2, 2011 at 9:17 am

Way out of my league. The only news I care about is stuff like this about the Kings….and the weather report. Or as the Who once sang, “Meet the new boss same as the old boss.”

Bobby, go outside, it’s a beautiful day and then watch a good old movie.

Peace

BobbyS on April 2, 2011 at 8:28 am

Ziegfeld Man, you sure come up with cool videos. As far as “hope” is concered, I bet you won’t hear “hope” & “change” anyhwhere to be found in the presidental election of 2012!

ZiegfeldMan
ZiegfeldMan on April 2, 2011 at 8:19 am

I did go on a private tour of the Paradise when it was in the process of restoration, but never got back there, want to. Check out the web site. Looks Great.

I must say that given the 175th Street is both a church, a concert venue, and still really a grand movie palace gives one hope and as Tim Robbins said in “Shawshank,” hope is a good thing.

BobbyS on April 2, 2011 at 8:10 am

Thank you for the video. I will attend opening night in 2014. Have you been to any show at the Loew’s Paradise? What did you think? When I mentioned I was at Rev Ike’s 20 years ago, I meant to say only one time. I was snooping around the looby when a patron said I should come during services, everybody welcome. Well I did, but I must confess during the service I kept an imaginary silver screen showing a hollywood movie in my mind!

ZiegfeldMan
ZiegfeldMan on April 2, 2011 at 6:25 am

Thank you, now imagine going to a concert there (as I did) or a church service, in all that original (restored) movie palace splendor and keep your eye on the resurrected Kings. It’s almost like that line from “Citizen Kane”-I think I have this mostly right-“Take a good look Jedediah, it’s going to look a lot different one of these days.”

That’s how I felt last August standing on Flatbush Avenue, looking at the Kings.

By the way, Mr. Orlando Lopes, who appears in that video, is the world’s leading expert on the Kings.

Check this out:

BobbyS on April 1, 2011 at 8:52 pm

Thanks Ziefeld man for the video link. I loved it. I was in Rev Ike’s Church 20 years and thought it was amazing and wished more movie palaces would have the same fate rather than a parking lot or some bland office building.