Elmwood Theatre

57-02 Hoffman Drive,
Elmhurst, NY 11373

MarcoAcevedo
MarcoAcevedo on February 12, 2004 at 7:59 pm

In 2001 I moved into Rego Park, the neighborhood “next door” to Elmhurst, and “discovered” the Elmwood Theatre for myself on my first walk to the Queen’s Center mall. I have since watched with dismay what seemed like the slow death of yet another New York treasure. I could never bring myself to see any of the movies that played there while it was still open; from the shabby treatment of the exterior (marquee, lobby and ticket booth encased in cheap generic siding) I got a sense that the interior was probably trashed beyond hope; what did give me some hope that this grand old dame might survive was the news in these commentaries. I just passd the theatre this afternoon and saw that the sidwalk around it is now boarded off. Is this a sign of renovation or demolition?

P.S., another local “ghost” theater I have kept my eye on is the beautiful little deco palace the Trylon. One would think that Queensborough Hall would go out of its way to salavage a relic of the era of the fabled 1939 World’s Fair, especially they are so keen these days to promote the legacy of the old Fairgrounds as the possible site of the 2012 Olympics. And does anyone know the identity of the movie theater once occupying the space which is now the Joe Abbracciamento Restaurant on Woodhaven Blvd.? There’s still a marquee… looks like a duotone brick Deco from the 30s or 40s…

RobertR
RobertR on February 4, 2004 at 9:00 am

The Elmwood used to be so well maintained except in its last few years when its closing was pending and a new mega-plex planned for across the street in the Queens Center. That all fell through the Elmwood and magnificent Trylon sit shuttered.

Greenpoint
Greenpoint on February 1, 2004 at 6:31 pm

I remember seeing Pulp Fiction here. Back in 1999: I seen South Park in mid-august with no air-conditioning,that theatre was hot as hell.

MarkW
MarkW on February 1, 2004 at 6:00 pm

Passed the theatre yesterday. STOP WORK order from the buildings department on the door. I hope the Rock Community Church does not abandon the theatre and move elsewhere.

belind1068
belind1068 on December 22, 2003 at 10:04 am

I want to restore & reopen The Elmwood. Does ANYONE have any ideas on how I can start this process? I like a good church as much as the next person however, I think it would be a crying shame to see that great theatre turned into a roadside bible-beater’s club. Any ideas? Contact me at:

Thanks!

mp775
mp775 on December 18, 2003 at 5:06 pm

The Rock Community Church is currently renovating the building. It looks like the Elmwood will be, pardon the pun, “saved.”

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on February 10, 2003 at 10:16 pm

My Junior High School graduation was held in the huge auditorium several years before it was divided by four. I can’t recall much about it’s interior architectural elements, however. I’d been back to see movies there while it was a quartet, but as I recall, any ornamentation in the auditoriums were either stripped away or concealed during the conversion.

David10465
David10465 on June 8, 2002 at 8:53 pm

The Elmwood is now closed.