AMC Empire 25

234 W. 42nd Street,
New York, NY 10036

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on July 22, 2008 at 10:21 am

I’ll bet they’re alarmed anyway: Emergency Exit Only.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on July 22, 2008 at 10:16 am

This being 42nd street, I’m not so sure I want to find those stairs.

MarkieS on July 22, 2008 at 10:03 am

ok, again I’m talking about when I go there, which is always on weekday afternoons, when nobody is really on the escalators. I can imagine that on a weekend night ( which you couldn’t pay me to go to) it gets pretty hairy!

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on July 22, 2008 at 10:00 am

I think what bothers me most about it is that almost all of the Friday night crowd standing still on those down escalators are about 25-35 years younger than me. Walking down an escalator is really easy – no strain at all. If only I had the guts to yell out “Gangway! Move it! Gotta catch a bus!” :)

MarkieS on July 22, 2008 at 9:52 am

my point is,people who don’t want to walk on an escalator, shouldn’t feel they HAVE to.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on July 22, 2008 at 9:31 am

The AMC exit escalators appear to have been designed to move the exiting crowd away from the main building in case of fire. The large “holding” areas in between are supposed to handle the overflow when the escalators back up. Human nature is to huddle around the escalator instead, causing a dangerous result.

The buildings department often demand designs that do not conform with human nature. I often experienced this on new builds in NY. Consider the safe distance of the entrance escalators on each floor compared to the exits.

MarkieS, I disagree that escalators are made to stand still. Don’t you get annoyed by people who block the people movers at airports with luggage and stand still?

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on July 22, 2008 at 9:23 am

I would take the stairs down to the ground level in the Empire 25, if I knew where they were! Maybe next time I should go exploring and see if I can find them.

MarkieS on July 22, 2008 at 9:08 am

Escalators are made for people who don’t want to walk down stairs. If you don’t like people standing on escalators, then don’t take them. The elevators are quite convenient. This drives me crazy in subways too. People get annoyed on narrow escalators because I won’t walk up. So take the stairs if you want to walk!

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on July 22, 2008 at 9:04 am

The escalator exits would be OK if people would walk down them, but hardly anyone does and they’re too narrow for passing. I’ve missed many a bus to NJ at the Port Authority because of people standing still on all those down escalators.

The elevator is an alternative way to get out, but that can take longer than the escalator just waiting for it to arrive.

Those are my only complaints with the Empire 25. Being located practically across the street from the bus terminal is a nice convenience.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on July 22, 2008 at 8:34 am

This comment was posted on another message board, but what exactly dies it mean?

>>Just left the 3pm at AMC of the 42nd showing of “TDK” and naturally, I was chanting like a mantra, “Please no idiots beside or in front of us, please no idiots beside or in front of us.” My mantra worked and JUST as the movie was starting a mother and 2 kids walked in and the the kid to my right’s excitement was so palpable, it was infectious. He was so cute.

As the movie continued, I noticed the kid kept darting his eyes towards me. I always eat a simple tray of sushi, (no, no chopsticks or anything bitches, I just like it because it’s easy to eat) but the kid very stealthily unwrapping his food from his bag and every time I looked he would stop and put it back in his bag and start all over again.

I so wanted to buy the whole family something, but I knew that definitely wasn’t the way to go.

The mother was so together, the kids were well behaved. Broke my heart.

LuisV on July 22, 2008 at 8:31 am

The problem is that there is not enough space at the “turn around” areas where you switch from one escalator to the other on the floor where Busters and Applebees are located. I’ve seen some very uncomforatable situations when multiple movies let out. I think one escaltor is slower than another resulting in back ups that can lead to a dangerous situation if people panicked. I have never seen this at any other theater.

William on July 22, 2008 at 8:05 am

Whats inadequate about them. The regular escalator sets on the east side of the building and they can turn the ones that you enter on into exits, there are the stairwell exits in the auditoriums and mixed around the waiting areas.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on July 22, 2008 at 7:18 am

All those huge airport-like waiting areas and the exit patterns are scrutinized by the buildings department before they issue a permit to open. The inadequate AMC exits may have been dictated by the city.

Michael R. Rambo Jr.
Michael R. Rambo Jr. on July 21, 2008 at 9:20 pm

In regards to the exit from the AMC Empire 25: It may have been planed like that by AMC Theatres, Hilton Hotels, and Applebee’s Restaurant for the exit to be like what it is.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on July 20, 2008 at 7:27 am

If anything, the ‘Stairway to Heaven’ escalator at Lincoln Square is more daunting and that only has a mere thirteen screens.

MarkieS on July 20, 2008 at 5:34 am

Yeah, really, what’s all the bitching about? If the escalator is THAT horrible an experience for you, take the elevator!These theaters are convenient and pleasant as far as I’m concerned. Then again, to be fair, I only go on weekday afternoons when crowd control is not an issue.

LuisV on July 19, 2008 at 12:34 pm

Ooops! Yes, I agree that Loews Lincoln Square is an exception, but my point was that modern megaplexes aren’t all that different form one another, as a whole and to criticize AMC 25 in this regard was unfair. Thanks.

BobT on July 19, 2008 at 11:01 am

“I haven’t been to any megaplex that doesn’t look have the "look and feel” of an airport once you get past the lobby so this is an unfair ctriticism of this theater in particular."

Try the Sony Lowe’s AMC Lincoln Square/IMAX or whatever the Hell it’s called now up on Broadway and 68th Street. So many names changes for such a young complex. Each auditorium is a tribute to a real “Cinema Treasure”. Anyway, there is no doubt you are in a movie theater and it’s great, and their escalator can give the AMC 25 a run for their money.

LuisV on July 19, 2008 at 10:34 am

I have never had an unpleasant experience at AMC 25. I love their incorporation of an old theater into their lobby. I like the escalators that seem to go on forever. I haven’t been to any megaplex that doesn’t look have the “look and feel” of an airport once you get past the lobby so this is an unfair ctriticism of this theater in particular. The individual theaters are comfortable, have great sound and the screens are very large relative to the size of the theater. My only real complaint is the exit. There is one narrow escalator to get out and sometimes the bottlenecks that form border on a disaster just about to happen. I can’t believe it was designed that way and that the city hasn’t made them change it.

Other than that, I love it!

AdoraKiaOra on July 19, 2008 at 9:26 am

Sounds almost as unpleasent as the experience I had across the road at the REGAL when I saw ‘Wall-E’ last Saturday!

JoelWeide on July 19, 2008 at 8:34 am

Almost sounds like a management issue more than anything else. AMC is one of the world largest
chains of motion picture theatres, and they are simply that movie theatres with a bottom line. Costs are cut to meet bottom line projections. There are theatres which are professionally operated, it all comes down to the general manager and their commitment to the craft, some are excellent and some don’t give a damn. It is encouraging that you sought out the 3D experience to enhance your movie going experience, thats a positive sign, but again it will all come down to the personal who operate the theatre and their commitment to seeing how the presentation is done.

BobT on July 19, 2008 at 7:21 am

“Any chance this place is in danger of closing?”

Isn’t this, if not number one, then definitely one of the top grossing theaters in the world? Why would they close? I gotta tell you though, seeing a movie here is just an ordeal. 3:00pm Saturday afternoon matinée. One cashier for twenty five screens, and I’ll admit, she was working her butt off and sporadically another cashier would come out from behind a wall behind the box office, but it was a wait. OK, opening weekend of “Journey To the Center Of the Earth” 3D. Of course the theater is so high up, they could sell Oxygen tanks at the concession stand. The escalators up are not for the claustrophobic. Each level has the look and feel of an airport, and if they didn’t have standees placed around, you can think you were waiting for a flight. After what seems like five escalators up, the theater was a huge pigsty. McDonald’s and other outside food boxes all over. Again, the staff worked hard to get it in shape for our sold out crowd. Great digital 3D projection, crowd well behaved. Absolutely not my first choice to see a flick but the digital 3D is still not available everywhere. Special points for the hard working courteous staff.

LuisV on June 17, 2008 at 1:58 pm

Why do you ask?

edblank on June 17, 2008 at 1:47 pm

Any chance this place is in danger of closing?

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on April 3, 2008 at 11:56 am

The believe the third avenue Bijou was between 12th and 13th and was last known as Cinema Village on 3rdA Avenue.