Patio Theatre

6008 West Irving Park Road,
Chicago, IL 60634

cpgrow
cpgrow on June 13, 2007 at 7:55 pm

Patiomike, I’m SO glad that you have been posting to the site and have been able to share your experiences and knowledge of the Patio Theatre. Any chance you have any photos to share as well?

Patiomike
Patiomike on June 13, 2007 at 12:55 pm

It wouldn’t be impossible, just expensive. The building is basically sound, the organ and projection equipment is in place and should need minimal work to get going. We had a giant ventilation motor rewired a few months before closing and the boiler was recently repaired. We also had a new popcorn machine. Updated wiring and such would help make it what it once was.

kingchaos341
kingchaos341 on June 13, 2007 at 8:56 am

Keeping the original dynamics intact would be the best thing for this theatre. If they can be reconditioned or repaired I think it would help add to the unseen feel the Movie Palaces project. I have seen a boiler, and original electrical system firsthand in a like theatre(RIP), and think that even though they are bigger and maybe largly ineffecient when compared to todays technology, if they can still be reused it would help the theater to stay true to what it is.

Patiomike
Patiomike on June 12, 2007 at 7:43 am

As far as I know, the building is not for sale. Renting may be a possibility but many upgrades would be needed. Codes were strengthened after a recent incident at a Chicago night club. An electric generator sufficient to replace power during an outage would be needed. Also, the air conditioner needs to be replaced. The electrical system, while sound, is original to the building and would probably need to be upgraded. The nearby Portage Theater has been modernized this way and is a success. There is a phone number on the building’s office entrance. It might be worth a try.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on June 11, 2007 at 10:29 pm

do we have a price???

Bing00
Bing00 on June 11, 2007 at 9:51 pm

Is the Patio currently for sale/rent?

Chrisk36
Chrisk36 on May 1, 2007 at 11:36 am

Patiomike, aware of LaSalle, been there several times and only 3 bucks for me. These are the real oldies which I love. However it’s 8 at nite and sometimes especially in bad weather not doable.
Couple years back saw Tarzan Of The Apes. I don’t drive. Hope Patio makes a comeback in some form.

Patiomike
Patiomike on May 1, 2007 at 10:48 am

Bryan, your photo is the lobby soon after it was fully cleaned and repainted. It was taken for an article about the theater and Chicago film makers that I recall was a Reader cover story. Alex, the owner, is resting his hand on the shoulder of Louis Antonelli, lead projectionist and noted Chicago film maker. He taught me the trade. The other two at the right are associates of his. Lighting all the lobby’s lights added at least $100 to the electric bill in the late 90’s so we only lit the box office’s “crown” and one or two bright bulbs in the chandelier.

Patiomike
Patiomike on May 1, 2007 at 10:33 am

If you’re looking for an inexpensive classic theater, try the LaSalle Bank Cinema at 4901 W Irving Park Rd in Chicago. A classic film+short is shown every Saturday night at 8pm. A loosely themed program runs for 6mos. starting in January and June. Admission is $5, less for seniors. Entrance and free parking is at the rear. Check the Reader for films as they are out of schedule booklets and the June edition is not ready.

Chrisk36
Chrisk36 on April 30, 2007 at 10:39 am

Correction, had a senior moment. Meant to address Patiomike.

Chrisk36
Chrisk36 on April 30, 2007 at 7:13 am

Alex, really miss this theatre. Logan is my place now for movies as I am on fixed income. Of course, now my grandkids work and pay for their own movies. If I drove I might be going to the LaGrange theatre more often. It’s another good buy but too far for me.

Also the Village Art which is closed now. I dreamed of having my own theatre that showed all the old movies yet again on the big screen. Thank God for the Outdoor Film Festival 7/17 to 8/28

Patiomike
Patiomike on April 30, 2007 at 6:53 am

To Chrisk36, Alex agonized over raising the price from $2 to $3 for a long time. It allowed us to get films sooner after 1st run but we risked losing customers to video. The studios took 50% of the box office, sometimes up front. The cost of renting the prints, licensing, insurance, heat were too much to bear. Then the A/C blew up. I still miss the place. We could have a movie on the screen in less than an hour as we left the booth in ready condition.

Skiparvid
Skiparvid on April 13, 2007 at 5:15 am

OK, third try at posting this :–(

According to my wife who lived 1 block West on Irving Park Rd, many of the locals (especially the kids), pronounced the name as,“Pay Show”. A deliberate play on the word, having nothing to do with any other language influence. Skip

Chrisk36
Chrisk36 on April 9, 2007 at 5:47 am

I am a Chicago grandmother who took her 4 grandkids to the Patio to see movies like Lion King, etc.

I remember the reason being one of economy and of course loving the big screen and single screen theatres of days gone by. Was the minimal admission a factor in it closing? Believe it was 2 bucks in the 1990’s.

Would a higher admission have averted some of the problems? Just curious.

mp775
mp775 on March 20, 2007 at 8:15 am

The Cingular Wireless banner is gone. The marquee still says PATIO RENOVATING.

BartHalleman
BartHalleman on March 11, 2007 at 3:36 am

is this theatre for sale or the building?

JimRankin
JimRankin on December 6, 2006 at 9:00 am

There is a discussion of this farther up the Comments, but, no, she was not correct. PAT-ee-o is the proper pronunciation of this Spanish word meaning ‘courtyard,’ in English context.

at1680
at1680 on December 6, 2006 at 7:17 am

I grew up in Norridge in the late 50s, early 60s. The nearest theaters were the Patio, MontClare and the Harlem-Irving outdoor theater (hard to believe there was a drive-in theater at that busy intersection!!) Anyway, my mother used to prounounce it the “pay-shee-oh” theater. Was that correct?

Broan
Broan on December 3, 2006 at 5:21 pm

Here are photos of this theater.

JimFles
JimFles on November 22, 2006 at 1:24 pm

thanks much for Barton info!!!!

mp775
mp775 on November 20, 2006 at 6:23 am

I’m 99% certain the organ is still there.

JimFles
JimFles on November 18, 2006 at 4:50 am

There were rumours that the Barton was sold—-broken up for parts etc. This was (or is) a fine example of the Barton product and with the popularity of the organ/silent movie venue, it could help any future operater!![ Especialy in THAT theater—WOW!!]Hope you are correct and it’s still there!!

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on November 16, 2006 at 5:01 pm

I looked into the lobby last night. It is in good shape, which is a pretty good indicator as to the state of the entire theatre.