Palace Theatre

1564 Broadway,
New York, NY 10036

BoxOfficeBill
BoxOfficeBill on July 17, 2005 at 7:32 am

What a downer! For fifty-one years I’ve believed that I saw “Creature” in 3-D as God meant it to be. Possibly I derived something of a 3-D effect from it by looking at it cross-eyed. As a movie-mad kid, I discovered that crossing my eyes at a flat image could do that. Years later an ophthalmologist told me (1) that there is some truth to my assumption and (2) that viewing so many movies strabismically provided good exercise for my young optic nerves. Who knows? I began wearing eyeglasses in my mid-twenties and am now a prisoner of bi-focals.

BoxOfficeBill
BoxOfficeBill on July 17, 2005 at 6:43 am

BTW, does the RKO nabe ad imply that “Creature” was not shown in 3-D? I remember seeing it that week at the Dyker and could swear that it was in 3-D. I’m certain that the Paramount showed it in 3-D.

BoxOfficeBill
BoxOfficeBill on July 17, 2005 at 6:39 am

“Blackout” opened at the Palace on 21 May 1954. The theater’s Vaudeville-cum-movie shows in those days changed every week.

I had forgotten that “Phantom of the Rue Morgue” and “Creature from the Black Lagoon” (each of which had opened separately at the Paramount earlier that Spring) toured the RKO circuit in a 3-D double-bill. And that, on the Loew’s circuit, “Red Garters” and “Top Banana” (which I believe had opened in 3-D at the Astor and the Victoria theaters respectively) made their neighborhood tours in 2-D projection. Polaroid viewing had lost its appeal.

RobertR
RobertR on July 17, 2005 at 5:12 am

Here is an ad mentioning vaudeville again in the 50's

teecee
teecee on July 15, 2005 at 8:42 am

Here is a picture of Orson Welles at the premier of Citizen Kane in 1941:

Source: MPTV
Caption: Orson Welles at the premiere of “Citizen Kane” 1941 RKO **I.V.

Caption doesn’t state location, but marquee looks like the Palace.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on July 13, 2005 at 10:59 am

In the summer of 69 they were showing double feature movies. That ended during the summer as they prepared for Applause. It has been a legit theater ever since. They were closed for 3- 4 years while they built the Doubletree. I hate the new marquee. The old one had class.

RobertR
RobertR on July 13, 2005 at 10:36 am

Playbills when Liberace played here in the 1950’s.

moviesmovies
moviesmovies on July 13, 2005 at 6:19 am

Saw ‘Applause’, ‘Woman Of The Year’, ‘Treemonisha’, A Bette Midler Concert, ‘Lorelie, and 'Shirley McClaine’ here.

jackeboy
jackeboy on July 11, 2005 at 5:54 pm

A friend of mine from high school worked here as an elevator operator during the mid seventies, and he brought me in to see the theater and Bette Midler’s show. Both were pretty mindblowing

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on July 11, 2005 at 11:19 am

Well the Music Hall was stuck with Father Goose for the Christmas show.

RobertR
RobertR on July 11, 2005 at 9:18 am

And at Christmas it was at the Palace?????????????

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on July 11, 2005 at 9:15 am

Send Me No Flowers opened as the Thanksgiving ‘64 Music Hall film.

BoxOfficeBill
BoxOfficeBill on July 11, 2005 at 8:47 am

“Mexican Spitfire’s Baby”! Lupe Velez! Leon Errol! Buddy Rogers! Zazu Pitts! Not only what many consider to be the greatest movie of all, but as part of a double feature that I imagine has to have been the greatest double feature of all! An inspired pairing—I never knew that it happened that way.

RobertR
RobertR on July 8, 2005 at 1:40 pm

Before the “Hamlet” engagement RKO actually did a mail order even for the nabes.

RobertR
RobertR on June 28, 2005 at 5:25 pm

Here is the ad from the Richard Burton Electronovision version of Hamlet. It opened at the RKO Palce and on the RKO neighborhood run 2 a day.

RobertR
RobertR on June 25, 2005 at 3:26 pm

Like Pillow Talk before it “Send Me No Flowers” also opened at the RKO Palace for Christmas of 1964.

uncleal923
uncleal923 on June 16, 2005 at 4:28 pm

Throughout most of the 1970s it was a Broadway House, and did not show movies.

Coate
Coate on June 15, 2005 at 6:36 pm

Anyone know which company operated the Palace during the late 1960s & early 1970s?

Coate
Coate on June 15, 2005 at 6:35 pm

“Was there a roadshow re-release of Ben Hur? I remember seing it in my suburban L.A. neighborhood theater before I graduated from high school in 1962.” (Joe Vogel)

For the premiere dates and other details, see:

“Ben-Hur” original L.A. roadshow release:

L.A. roadshow re-issue

New York original roadshow:

New York roadshow re-issue:

uncleal923
uncleal923 on June 15, 2005 at 5:27 pm

What is this, Christmas in July? (LOL) All kidding aside, I enjoyed reading about the strange Holiday fare that came to the Palace. I would never guess that such shlock as SANTA CLAUS AND THE MARTIANS played theaters on Broadway.

RobertR
RobertR on June 15, 2005 at 2:58 pm

In my above post I forgot to add that all of the RKO theatres playing “Santa” had a Christmas magic show and santa live at each theatre on stage for Sat & Sun matinees.

RobertR
RobertR on June 15, 2005 at 2:49 pm

December 15, 1964 that all time classic baddie “Santa Claus Conquers The Martians” opened. Young Pia Zadora starred in this Joseph E. Levine production advertised as being filmed in “space blazing color”. The 2nd feature was the full length animated feature “The Snow Queen”. This feature would become a kiddie matinee staple for most of the Christmas' of the 60’s. It opened on Broadway at the RKO Palace and also at RKO 86th St. In Brooklyn at the RKO Albee, RKO Dyker, RKO Kenmore and Town & Countrys Seaview. In the Bronx RKO Fordham. In Queens RKO Keiths, RKO Columbia, RKO Alden and Skouras Forest Hills. Staten Island at the Paramount. In Long Island Skouras Glen Cove, Skouras Playhouse Great Neck, Skouras Calderone, Town & Country Hicksville North & South, Centurys York and Skouras Lynbrook.

RobertR
RobertR on June 14, 2005 at 5:17 pm

“Nuremburg” opened roadshow at the Palace.