Comments from bigjoe59

bigjoe59 commented about Rivoli Theatre on Apr 16, 2019 at 10:14 pm

Hello-

to Al A.– as always thanks for the info as you have been
kind enough to do since I discovered this wonderful a few years ago. a follow up question. a friend of mine in San Francisco told me an interesting story. UA was able to hook the Golden Gate into a lengthy enough contract for Man of La Mancha based on the previous years success with Fiddler on the Roof. unfortunately for the Golden Gate lighting didn’t strike twice. so he said week after week when the theater was playing to smaller and smaller audiences rather than lose more money they simply closed the theater. so I was wondering what ways there were for a theater to get out of a long term contract.

bigjoe59 commented about Rivoli Theatre on Apr 15, 2019 at 10:03 pm

Hello-

a questions for anyone knowledgeable about the roadshow exhibition policy. when a theater made a deal with a company to host the roadshow engagement did they do so for an agreed period of time and if the film was popular enough to hold past the original period it was great for the theater. but what if the film didn’t exactly ignite the box office was there a way for the theater to get out of its contract?

bigjoe59 commented about Lincoln Plaza Cinemas on Apr 11, 2019 at 10:22 pm

Hello-

to HowardBHaas- unless you have a vested interest in Milstein Properties(the owner of the building complex Lincoln Plaza was a part of) I thought your comment was a tad to frank. I suppose I should have said this- the fact that the Lincoln Plaza never reopened is by an large proof that MP’s comment about the theater reopening after structural work was completed was a big fib. I by no means meant to interpret Al A. and MarkNYLA’s comment comments as providing evidence.

bigjoe59 commented about AMC Lincoln Square 13 on Apr 9, 2019 at 11:05 pm

Hello-

for the opening weekend April 26-28 how can I tell if a showing is in the Dolby Cinema? I figure End Game is the perfect film to experience the Dolby Cinema for the first time.

bigjoe59 commented about Lincoln Plaza Cinemas on Apr 9, 2019 at 10:24 pm

Hello-

thanks to Al A. and MarkNYLA for the info. so are your responses a discreet way of saying when the Lincoln Plaza closed end Jan. 2018 and the management company said “the theater will reopen when the necessary structural work is completed” it was one big fat lie?

bigjoe59 commented about Lincoln Plaza Cinemas on Apr 9, 2019 at 12:26 am

Hello-

is this theater ever going to be a regular 1st run house again. the ads I’ve seen in the Times makes it appear to only show films after they’ve exhausted they original 1st run engagements.

bigjoe59 commented about AMC Lincoln Square 13 on Apr 7, 2019 at 10:35 pm

Hello-

what’s all this i hear/read about people paying astronomical sums to scalpers for opening tickets to End Game? i just looked at Fandango and none of the shows for opening weekend i looked at were sold out.

bigjoe59 commented about Rivoli Theatre on Apr 2, 2019 at 12:23 am

Hello-

one of my most pleasant experiences of seeing a film at this theater was the opening day 1st performance of A Bridge Too Far. aside from from enjoying the film and getting a nice free brochure guess who was outside the theater shaking hands and greeting people as they entered? none other than Joseph E. Levine himself.

bigjoe59 commented about RKO Chester Theatre on Apr 1, 2019 at 10:57 pm

in the early 60s I remember going here with friends to
see The Three Stooges Meet Hercules.

bigjoe59 commented about RKO Castle Hill Theatre on Apr 1, 2019 at 10:53 pm

Hello-

looking at the “Today on Stage at….” at the top of the image i don’t know see how they could have done a personal appearence at one theater and gotten to the next by the time listed.

bigjoe59 commented about Westchester Theatre on Apr 1, 2019 at 10:40 pm

Hello-

the building currently at 2319 Westchester Ave. looks nothing like the building in the picture above. what building might dave-bronx be referring to?

bigjoe59 commented about Palace Theatre on Apr 1, 2019 at 10:04 pm

Hello-

I find it fascinating how classic Oscar winning films faired in different markets. for example The Diary of Anne Frank played here on a two performance a day reserved seat engagement for was it 6? months. in San Francisco the film’s sole 1st run engagement was a 2 week one at the Fox where it ran on a continuous performance basis.

bigjoe59 commented about Palace Theatre on Apr 1, 2019 at 9:56 pm

Hello-

Disney should release this film on a limited edition Blu-ray so people can see just how racist it allegedly is.

bigjoe59 commented about Kenmore Theatre on Mar 31, 2019 at 11:00 pm

Hello-

is the comment “the theater rapidly deteriorated” after the late80s/early90s renovations referring to the physical condition of the theater or the to be frank the quality of the patrons?

bigjoe59 commented about RKO Albee Theatre on Mar 31, 2019 at 10:53 pm

Hello-

before it closed in Sept. 1978 was it still showing films first run?

bigjoe59 commented about Alpine Cinema on Mar 31, 2019 at 10:44 pm

Hello-

in terms of being in continual operation(which includes being closed for renovations) since the day it opened isn’t this the oldest movie theater in NYC?

bigjoe59 commented about AMC Lincoln Square 13 on Mar 31, 2019 at 10:38 pm

Hello-

this is a question for people who saw Dumbo at this theater this past weekend. I don’t like this new trend in dark films meaning the visuals not the dramatic tone. I saw the film at the 19th East and found the film as dark as Solo: A Stars Story and Captain Marvel. I don’t get it. they spend millions on a film and can’t afford proper lighting? even the scenes in Dumbo which took place during the day were unusually dark.

bigjoe59 commented about Palace Theatre on Mar 31, 2019 at 10:31 pm

Hello-

what changes if any are they doing to the theater’s
auditorium?

bigjoe59 commented about Roxy Theatre on Mar 31, 2019 at 10:29 pm

Hello-

is my assumption correct that large movie theaters such as the Roxy(or the Fox in San Francisco) probably played as many B or even C movies as they played A movies?

bigjoe59 commented about AMC Lincoln Square 13 on Mar 19, 2019 at 9:40 pm

Hello-

thank you to my fellow posters for their replies to the darkness issue I started. a question- is it remotely possible that some directors consciously shot scenes that are under lit to be artsy?

bigjoe59 commented about AMC Lincoln Square 13 on Mar 18, 2019 at 9:19 pm

Hello-

thanks to stevenj for your thoughts on the darkness issue. I saw Boy Erased at this theater last Nov. and was disappointed that a few scenes were rather under lit. so last month when the Blu-ray came out I bought and guess what? the scenes I had the dimly lit issue with were the same way on the Blu-ray.

bigjoe59 commented about AMC Lincoln Square 13 on Mar 17, 2019 at 9:43 pm

Hello-

thanks for your replies about the darkness issue. so is stevenj saying that CM wasn’t filmed that dark its just how the Orpheum was screening it? I ask the question again since the Orpheum manager said in the case of “Solo” that that was the way the film was shot and not a result of their screening of it.

bigjoe59 commented about AMC Lincoln Square 13 on Mar 15, 2019 at 9:36 pm

Hello-

in terms of ridethectrain’s comment. as I said my screening of CM at the Orpheum was way to dark in spots to the point in a few scenes you couldn’t see exactly what was happening. so is ridethectrain’s comment to infer that the projectionist at the Orpheum was incorrectly screening the film? I had the same problem at the screening I attended last Spring of Solo-A Star Wars Story. I questioned the manager and he said it was the film not the way they were showing it.

bigjoe59 commented about AMC Lincoln Square 13 on Mar 13, 2019 at 10:30 pm

Hello-

to Mike’s 3/12 comment. what would have been the point of posting the Captain Marvel darkness question on the Orpheum’s page if I was asking moviegoers at this theater what their experience was?

bigjoe59 commented about AMC Lincoln Square 13 on Mar 12, 2019 at 8:15 pm

Hello-

a two part question for anyone who saw Captain Marvel at this theater this past weekend. i saw the film at the 12p.m. screening at the Loews Orpheum. was your movie quite dark? half the time i couldn’t see what was happening. and second how full was your auditorium? the 12p.m. screening at the Orpheum was almost empty.