TCL Chinese Theatre

6925 Hollywood Boulevard,
Hollywood,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Showing 201 - 225 of 1,495 comments

Robert_G_Kelley
Robert_G_Kelley on September 18, 2013 at 12:30 am

Looks like Oz is indeed held over a week for the first showtime each day, And tickets now appear to be officially on sale for Metallica and Gravity at the Chinese. http://www.tclchinesetheatres.com/tickets-showtimes/

hdtv267
hdtv267 on September 17, 2013 at 2:00 am

Very well written Kurt. Thank you for sharing

Wahlner
Wahlner on September 16, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Went to the premiere of 3D Oz yesterday. A very different experience, but I think it works. Read my review on my blog: http://graumanschineseorg.blogspot.com/

RogerA
RogerA on September 16, 2013 at 9:46 am

Somebody had to help pay for the upgrade. So they put up a sign. The sign seems to blend in just find and like bigjoe59 said most people won’t notice it. Besides it’s what is inside the building that counts not some little sign on the outside.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on September 15, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Hello-

I second Chris U.’s comment. its a rather unobstrusive sign that i’m betting most people won’t notice.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on September 15, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Sign looks alright to me. :)

CTCrouch
CTCrouch on September 13, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Walking by this afternoon, I noticed they’ve added a metal “TCL Chinese Theatres” sign directly above the main doorway. Between a work ladder still being adjacent to the area and my not noting it before (I walk by the theatre almost daily these days), I assume this was just installed. While not overwhelming or obnoxious, it does seem to look a bit out of place (in my opinion). I’ve uploaded two pictures.

RogerA
RogerA on September 12, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Im waiting to see Avatar in IMAX 3D at the renovated Chinese. The Wizard of Oz in 3D may appeal to some and Im sure it will be a treat. I am waiting to be impressed.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on September 12, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Hello from NYC-

I haven’t been out to L.A. in a few years and did enjoy going to the Chinese. to which my question- with all the hoopla about the IMAX-ing of the auditorium while keeping the renowned architectural design as anyone heard anything about the 3-D…ing of The Wizard of Oz. if the retrofit into 3-D of the 1939 film just doesn’t work that won’t be a good omen for the reopening.

RogerA
RogerA on September 12, 2013 at 10:48 am

It doesnt look like they will be running much film but the video presentations should be stunning.

RogerA
RogerA on September 12, 2013 at 8:28 am

Who is bitching and about what?

RogerA
RogerA on September 11, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Well I went on the tour of the theater today. This is now a state of the art all purpose theater. We were not taken to the projection suite but even from the auditorium one could tell it was huge. The projection suite is two stories with IMAX projectors on the lower level and conventional projection systems on the upper lever. The screen is big and the sight lines are much better than before. We can hope that they show a mix of new films and some of the big screen classics. A good clean print of 2001 or Avatar and many of the other big screen classics would be great now and then.

RogerA
RogerA on September 9, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Well it seems they removed most of the auditorium floor and the plenum chamber underneath.

Cliffs
Cliffs on September 9, 2013 at 12:31 pm

You can find it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG3TWcRWHFk

RogerA
RogerA on September 9, 2013 at 11:26 am

Chris that youtube link doesn’t work it has been taken down by the user

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on September 6, 2013 at 7:40 pm

They’d better not let ArcLight snatch IMAX films from under their noses. It’ll be a shame if they do.

In other news – here’s a time lapse video of the reconstruction: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mWmeUsfnJE&feature=youtu.be

paulnelson
paulnelson on September 6, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Yes the Seattle Cinerama is quite spectacular. Saw 2001 there in it’s Cinerama opening back in the day and wow! Just as good as any Imax. This theatre has been completely restored and plays both Cinerama, 70 mil. and 3D. And it has stars in the ceiling. LOL. The Chinese will be great again too.

Danny Baldwin
Danny Baldwin on September 6, 2013 at 4:48 pm

So ArcLight just put tickets onsale for GRAVITY at every location but Hollywood. However, on their Facebook page, they wrote “*Hollywood tickets for "Gravity” will be on sale soon. Make sure to like us on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter and Instagram to be the first to know!"

So I guess we’re still in the dark on whether there will be co-bookings when the Chinese gets the IMAX version.

Robert_G_Kelley
Robert_G_Kelley on August 30, 2013 at 11:35 pm

Edward he said the EXSISTING I take that to mean the speakers that were allready in the theatre previously have been retained for standard non IMAX movies playing there, which makes sense considering they are still going to be playing regular movies as well. plus looking at the pictures from the media days the surrounds are in the same placement that they were at before the renovation

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on August 30, 2013 at 6:34 pm

I think Escott meant to say SURROUND speakers instead of DOLBY speakers. Give him a break, Ed! :)

Mark: I have experienced The Cinerama back in Christmas 2005. An unforgettable experience!

Edward Havens
Edward Havens on August 30, 2013 at 3:25 am

Guess it doesn’t matter Dolby doesn’t make speakers. :|

Danny Baldwin
Danny Baldwin on August 29, 2013 at 11:58 pm

The question is: will they use the masking for regular IMAX presentations (becoming the only IMAX theater in the world to do this, to my knowledge), or just for special presentations like premieres? The “no masking” craze on all premium-branded screens, not just IMAX, makes me think they like to keep the screen maximally opened up just to prove it’s there and is huge.

Escott O. Norton
Escott O. Norton on August 29, 2013 at 11:44 pm

Cliffs, I was not referring to you. There are plenty of people scared of ANY change to the special place, and many who think it should somehow have been “preserved” as they first saw it! For a while I responded to these folks informing them that I doubt anyone alive remembers the original! The Chinese has been remodeled before many times, and it probably will be again!

This is a private business, and as much as some of us wished we owned it, we don’t! We are lucky that the current owners care as much as they do for both the legacy and the future of this important theatre!

By the way, if anyone wants to see progress photos by me and my fellow L.A. Historic Theatre Foundation photographers, check out our Facebook site: https://www.facebook.com/groups/125430125723/