Kings Theatre

1027 Flatbush Avenue,
Brooklyn, NY 11226

Showing 201 - 225 of 1,451 comments

BobbyS
BobbyS on May 10, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Barbra Streisand announced yesterday she will play Brookyln, NY in October for one night only. It will not be the King’s of course, but I wonder if she will get a royal tour if it is safe to enter?

RickB
RickB on May 10, 2012 at 7:00 pm

“Brooklyn to me means the Loew’s Kings, Erasmus, the yeshiva I went to, the Dodgers, Prospect Park, great Chinese food,” Ms. Streisand said… Naturally the Cinema Treasure comes first.

BobbyS
BobbyS on March 3, 2012 at 10:46 pm

I think the economy will be the main issue. Ed Solero says it all. With the average seat price around $50+, and the fact the theater plans on being booked almost every night in the year, I ask anyone to inform me of any theater that is that heavily booked in the USA and makes a profit without any help from the city or state.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on March 3, 2012 at 6:14 pm

I agree with BobbyS, regarding comparison to the Barclays Center. That’s like comparing the need for the Beacon Theatre as a concert venue when you have Madison Square Garden. I certainly think there is a sufficient population in Brooklyn to support a viable venue at the Kings. In my mind, its going to be a question of what kind of entertainments will be booked into the theater. Seems to me that Brooklyn could benefit from their own Beacon Theatre type venue – where pop acts can make a stop along a tour (much as in the ‘70’s and early '80’s when it wasn’t uncommon to see a particular act stop in for a night or two at the Palladium in Manhattan followed by a couple of nights across the river at the Capitol in Passaic). My fears here would be how Cablevision would react to the competition and how the state of the economy in 2015 will influence how people spend whatever disposable cash they may have.

BobbyS
BobbyS on March 3, 2012 at 11:12 am

The Barclays Center is really for sporting events and maybe mega concerts which the Kings could not handle. And it will bring people(paying customers)into Brookyln for further entertainment(Kings).But my concern is a lack of events to be booked and keep the theater filled most of the year(profitable). The beautiful Genesse Theater in Waukegan,IL cancelled its classic film series on Sat nights after trying it for a year. Very low turnout. Only “Gone With The Wind” & “Ben-Hur” drew more than 300 people. Both beautiful restored prints in 35mm.

BobbyS
BobbyS on February 29, 2012 at 11:50 am

Sorry….Brooklyn I meant. I must have Paradise on my brain. I do believe the Kings will be re-opened in 2015 and I trust you know more about Brookyln and its needs than I do. I am sure there were many studies done before a dime went into this project to make sure the audience was there to support this endeavor.

LuisV
LuisV on February 29, 2012 at 11:17 am

Brooklyn! Bobby! Brooklyn! :–) Yes, 300 days a year is rather aggressive, but it doesn’t concern me in the least. It’s a great goal and there is absolutely a need for a performing arts venue of this sort in Brooklyn. I have no doubt it will be a success.

BobbyS
BobbyS on February 29, 2012 at 10:59 am

A lot of city money also went into the Oriental in Chicago along with the Cinema Odeon owner to restore the theater and present broadway shows. City didn’t realize there were two sets of books being kept and I believe he wound up in jail. All said, this project at Loews’s Kings will be looked at with a fine tooth comb for all checks & balances from the investor groups involved. The only thing I worry about is the statement made from ACE booking the theater 300+days a year. Does anyone anywhere know of any theatre that is that heavily booked a year. Not even Radio City! And we are talking Bronx, NY

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on February 29, 2012 at 10:03 am

Every time I think the topic is dead it comes back around, which suggests a real civic interest in getting this done. I also thought that the above-mentioned Oriental in Chicago would be eventually converted to offices, and I was positive the Bronx Paradise would be destroyed. There is a lot of red tape and planning involved in something of this magnitude. So it could sit for a long time with little evidence of progress. Of course, there is always the real possibility that a project like this can stall. But my hunch is that this one will be completed.

LuisV
LuisV on February 28, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Thanks Matt, I wish people wouldn’t be so pessimistic. This restoration is a lot of work and a lot of it is in the preparation and research stage. It is not by accident that it is not scheduled for completion until 2014/2015. I have complete confidence that this theater will be fully restored, but full disclosure, I am an optimist at heart. I was also one of the few who kept saying that the city’s EDC would find a developer to take on this project when almost everyone else said it would never happen. Let’s remember that the Loews Jersey, Loews Paradise, Saint George, New Amsterdam and many others in New York were all viewed as lost causes but they are stunningly restored today. The Loews Kings will be joining that group! :–)

Matt Lambros
Matt Lambros on February 28, 2012 at 9:53 am

It’s not dead in the water. I’ve spoken with both ACE and the company who is doing the actual restoration work. There is a lot of preparations that have to be made before construction can begin. It’s going to take time to recreate some of the interior details that have been lost over the years.

BobbyS
BobbyS on February 27, 2012 at 11:56 pm

I’m with you Tinseltoes….I hope this isn’t a “pie in the sky”. You would think by now more would have been started. A few workers showing up once in a while sounds like they are just washing it down. Maybe they are waiting for the financing to come through before they send in a team. And it will take quite a full-time team won’t it?

rlinders
rlinders on February 27, 2012 at 9:18 pm

I went today to Flatbush Avenue. No sign of workers, no indication of work. Went to the store next door and they told me that once in while some workers come, but not very often.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on February 27, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Your best bet is calling the office. When the Oriental was under construction in Chicago I arranged a tour through the management office. I had to sign a waiver and wear a hard hat. But they took me up on the scaffolding, and we walked across the auditorium right under the dome. It was pretty neat.

ZiegfeldMan
ZiegfeldMan on February 27, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Have to agree—in the nineties, when the New Amsterdam was being renovated, I had the same desire and tried,but was denied by construction workers. Totally understandable. This is a “hardhat” area with serious safety concerns and risks.

I finally got my reward, three days after the place opened in 1997 for “King David,” later the “Lion King” and “Mary Poppins.”

So, you have something to look forward to!!!!!

Matt Lambros
Matt Lambros on February 27, 2012 at 10:19 am

I’d say that’s highly unlikely.

rlinders
rlinders on February 27, 2012 at 9:41 am

Thanks for the quick response. I have someone from Europe here who would love to see the inside and possibly take a picture. Do you think a construction worker would let us in just for a moment?

Matt Lambros
Matt Lambros on February 27, 2012 at 12:18 am

Not at the moment. The Kings is currently being restored before reopening in early 2015.

rlinders
rlinders on February 27, 2012 at 12:04 am

Does anyone know if it is possible to go inside the theater?

LuisV
LuisV on February 1, 2012 at 3:49 pm

I may be naive, but I would disagree about opposition from the Kings.
The Paramount belongs to LIU and, in theory, could be restored and brought back to life by them. They wouldn’t need the Kings cooperation unless LIU was looking for city funds to restore the theater. BAM also might not object as this area is increasingly a performing arts center and more venues create more business for everyone (just look at Times Square). I believe a restored Brooklyn Paramount must be in Brooklyn’s future and my hope is that it could be accomplished without city subsidies. I am fairly confident that LIU would not be permitted to gut the theater as there would be lots of protests. My guess is that they are not just going to let it sit there. I believe they will ultimately decide to restore it.

BobbyS
BobbyS on February 1, 2012 at 11:39 am

I walked on the shiny floor of the Paramount a few years ago when it was being used as a basketball court. Looking up was dazzling to be sure and it wouldn’t be hard to bring the theater back to life. The lobby also was grand. You are right about the developers of the Kings opposing any thought about doing that. I am sure they have plenty of “clout” in Brooklyn and certainly not in their interest..

LuisV
LuisV on January 31, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Back in 1972, when I graduated for JHS 226 in Ozone Park, our auditorium was also not big enough and so we held our graduation at Loew’s Valencia (a sister theater to the Loew’s Kings)! I was mesmerized by its beauty and saw several films there like The Ten Commandments and The Omega Man. I remember sometimes just staring at the ceiling watching the clouds roll by. It was the only Wonder Theater that I ever attended and so I was especially interested in the movement to save the one remaining Wonder Theater that was in danger. Ironically, the one theater that was abandoned for over 30 years, will likely be the one that outshines them all when it is restored and reopened to the public.

PragmaticGuy
PragmaticGuy on January 31, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Back in 1972 when I graduated Canarsie HS our auditorium wasn’t big enough to hold the students and their parents and the graduation ceremony was held at the Kings. It was the only time I was ever in that theater but I remember thinking to myself that it was like the Radio City of Brooklyn.

gd14lawn
gd14lawn on January 10, 2012 at 11:25 pm

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but Barbra Streisand did not usher here, although she did atthen the theater as a patron. From her website:

The Loew’s Kings Theater in Brooklyn APRIL 6, 2011, 3:54 am I was happy to hear recently that the Loew’s Kings Theater in Brooklyn, New York will be undergoing renovations for a reopening in 2014 . It was one of those beautiful old movie palaces of the past. I was 13 years old when I first started spending many a wonderful afternoon there, partly because it had double features, air conditioning and great ice cream cones.

I’d like to set the record straight on one point. Some articles have said that I was an usher there. That wasn’t the case … I was just a kid, a paying customer, a movie lover. Just for the record, a few years later, I did usher in Manhattan’s theater district, which was wonderful, because I got to see the plays for free. . http://www.barbrastreisand.com/us/truth-alert/loews-kings-theater-brooklyn

BobbyS
BobbyS on January 10, 2012 at 11:20 pm

It always amazes me that New York has those palaces still standing and Chicago lags behind. We do have three downtown, but our Uptown Theatre is still in limbo with no direction it seems. This is our Loew’s Kings! But unlike the King’s, not much going on at Broadway & Lawrence ave.