Million Dollar Theatre

307 South Broadway,
Los Angeles, CA 90013

cnichols
cnichols on October 19, 2005 at 1:35 pm

Robert Voskanian is converting the Million Dollar into a nightclub according to the Los Angeles Downtown News

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on October 8, 2005 at 1:12 pm

From the USC Digital Archive:

teecee
teecee on September 26, 2005 at 9:14 am

Good close up of the marquee and distinctive arch:

stevebob
stevebob on September 15, 2005 at 11:49 pm

Thanks!

Though not theater-related, I thought it worth mentioning for anyone who checks out the Million Dollar in person that the Bradbury Building, right across Broadway and built in 1893, is well worth a look if you’re not familiar with it. The interior is stunningly unique. (It’s an office building, so I’m sure it’s only accessible during normal business hours.)

p.s. to KenRoe: I am so jealous that you have Saint closing party tapes!

KenRoe
KenRoe on September 15, 2005 at 2:33 am

stevebob;
There is currently no signage on the building that has the name ‘Million Dollar’. There is a small display mounted on a post located on the pavement outside the theatre, that gives details of the theatre (provided by the LA Conservancy I believe?). Hopefully with the planned re-opening of the Million Dollar Theatre, the name will come back to the actual building again.

I believe that the false ceilings and walls in the lobby only ‘cover over’ the original decoration which is still in place underneath.

You are correct to say that the Eastern Columbia Building has been totally gutted internally (the public lobby and the office spaces) and is currently being converted into loft appartments. The exterior remains intact.

The lobby of the Pellissier Office Building that houses the Wiltern Theatre remains intact.

stevebob
stevebob on September 15, 2005 at 1:37 am

One of the posts above mentions the Million Dollar as being nameless. What about the vertical, which was quite high up on the building’s Broadway side. Has it been removed?

I went to the Million Dollar only once, during the 1970s, when it featured live performances by Mexican celebrities. I was disappointed overall, primarily because there was absolutely no trace of what the lobby and other public spaces must have originally looked like.

The dropped ceilings and wall paneling were horrid, especially as measured against the auditorium and wonderful baroque ornamentation on the building’s exterior. I wish I knew what the original decor was like, and whether it was destroyed or just covered over.

During that period, the same vandalization in the name of modernization had occurred to the lobby of the Eastern Columbia Building, also located in the theater corridor at Broadway and Ninth. It’s superb exterior is one of the most iconic art deco landmarks in Los Angeles, but the lobby had been stripped bare.

At least this wasn’t the case with the Pellissier Building that houses the Wiltern Theater. Its lobby — at least at the time I lived in Los Angeles — was completely original and as splendid as the theater itself.

abbottconnie428
abbottconnie428 on September 14, 2005 at 6:52 pm

I just posted the message above and I wanted to add my e-mail address where I can be contacted. It is

abbottconnie428
abbottconnie428 on September 14, 2005 at 6:50 pm

I remember when my grandfather took me to the Million Dollar when I was a little girl. He worked there as a projectionist so we went a lot. I wanted to post this message to see if anyone remembers my grandfather. I am currently trying to gather any information about him. His name is Chris Rangel and he worked with Frank Fouce during the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s. If anyone knows of anything please respond to my message. Thanks!

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on August 26, 2005 at 6:05 pm

I recall the Million Dollar showing Wild Wild West (the Will Smith flop) about seven years ago. I was too busy to go and have regretted it since. I have been in most of the Broadway theaters but not the $1,000,000.

danz
danz on March 21, 2005 at 10:47 pm

When I was growing up in Los Angeles in the 50’s (I was born in Los Angeles in 1947), I went to the Million Dollar Theater almost every week with my grandmother. We would go to dinner on Saturday night at the Biltmore or Statler Hilton, then walk over to the Million Dollar Theater on Broadway. What do I remember the most? The ENORMOUS rest rooms with Gold (colored) fixtures. Magnificent carpets. Wide stairways. And, LODGE seats. My grandmother loved the HORROR movies that were popular in the 50’s. Also near (downtown): the Bradbury Building, Grand Central Market and so many other GREAT and magnificent theaters RKO, Paramount, etc., etc., etc.

br91975
br91975 on March 1, 2005 at 9:49 am

In one scene in the new flick ‘Be Cool’, John Travolta and Uma Thurman are shown driving away from the Million Dollar Theater, while the follow-up shot is of Grauman’s Chinese Theatre. (Also, on prominent display on the Grauman’s marquee, via either stock footage or some sort of homage, is title signage from 1987’s ‘The Untouchables’.)

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on February 27, 2005 at 4:53 pm

Another recent photo of the Million Dollar Theater:

br91975
br91975 on February 22, 2005 at 7:11 am

The exterior of the Million Dollar Theater can be very briefly glimpsed in the new Keanu Reeves flick ‘Constantine’.

rroberts
rroberts on February 9, 2005 at 6:22 pm

Is it worth the money to save it? Historic tax credits could be brought to bear… I wll look into it. Anyone else interested in helping me? Paul

DonSolosan
DonSolosan on February 9, 2005 at 12:17 pm

I just did the LA Conservancy’s Broadway Theater tour (again!) and this time we went into the Million Dollar. Unlike Knatcal’s experience noted above, the theater was open to us but the balcony was closed. And the first few rows of seats on the main floor were blocked off by that yellow “caution” tape.

The problem, they explained to us, is the proscenium, a huge arch of block stone. In most theaters of that era, the stones would have simply been made of plaster — but in this case they are real. And unstable. The area of the theater that’s blocked off is the area that the proscenium would hit if it happened to collapse.

Apparently the owner is holding off repairs until a new tenant is found and their needs are taken into account.

William
William on February 9, 2005 at 11:17 am

vmorales

Here is Metropolitan’s website.

Here their contact address.

I think the Paramount Theatre you got was the Downtown Los Angeles Paramount Theatre which when it opened was named the Metropolitan Theatre.

Good Luck!!!

William

vmorales
vmorales on February 9, 2005 at 10:34 am

I already tried it and it’s now the Paramount Theatre… I think! Unless I am getting the wrong one.. do you have a link or web address? Thanks

rroberts
rroberts on February 9, 2005 at 9:29 am

Does anyone have new information on the theatre? E-mail us. wheatongrand.net

William
William on February 8, 2005 at 5:15 pm

It’s sad that a lot of these types of advertising items no longer are around. You might try Metropolitan Theatres in Los Angeles. Its a long shot.

vmorales
vmorales on February 8, 2005 at 4:18 pm

Oh, so pretty much, they may have been tossed. :–( Well Thanks for that info. I will try and see what next step to take…THANKS!

William
William on February 8, 2005 at 3:53 pm

The last chain to operate the Million Dollar Theatre was Metropolitan Theatres. Having worked many of the theatres along Broadway. A lot of those types of trailers and film daters would have been thrown out since that time. And since the theatre was leased to the Universal Church for a time, they may have cleaned up the booth areas. Because the theatre booths that I worked had very little left from the past other then the equipment.

vmorales
vmorales on February 8, 2005 at 1:50 pm

I am looking for someone or some place that would have old film strips from the late 1970’s from the Million Dollar. My fiance’s grandfather performed there and we would like to know how we can get a hold of some of those itms, DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW??? Thanks so much

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on December 14, 2004 at 10:03 am

The theater is not completely “nameless”. On the front sidewalk is a sign citing the historical significance of the theater and outlining it’s history. It is clearly identified as the Million Dollar. The building I work in, the Fine Arts Building, also has a signpost.