El Capitan Theatre

6838 Hollywood Boulevard,
Hollywood,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

William
William on July 20, 2006 at 7:05 pm

Barker Brothers had a store in what is now the Disney store on the ground level of the building.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on July 20, 2006 at 6:40 pm

So what about the furniture? The public wants to know…

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on July 20, 2006 at 1:28 am

Very cool the way they are placing marketing materials above the marquee and box office as in the old days.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on July 20, 2006 at 1:16 am

It opened as a playhouse with the name El Capitan, was later renamed the Paramount, and then the original name was restored by the Disney Company with their 1990’s renovation.

haineshisway
haineshisway on July 20, 2006 at 1:06 am

Yes, it was the Paramount all through the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s, right up until Disney did its thing.

Bway
Bway on July 20, 2006 at 12:52 am

Was it the Paramount until Disney took it over, and Disney renamed it the EL Capitan?

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on July 20, 2006 at 12:34 am

Ken: It was the other El Capitan, the one on Vine Street north of Hollywood Boulevard, which was the venue for Nixon’s “Checkers” speech. At that time, the Hollywood Boulevard El Capitan was called the Paramount and was exclusively a movie house.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on July 19, 2006 at 11:15 pm

I’m a little confused by this photo. I understand that Loew’s ran the theater for a while, but did they sell furniture out of the building as well? By the way, the El Capitan was where Richard Nixon broadcast his Checkers speech in 1952:

segask
segask on June 16, 2006 at 2:40 am

anyone know how many subwoofers it has?

Bway
Bway on June 6, 2006 at 3:40 pm

And thanks to Disney to doing the phenominal refurbishment job. I was so impressed when I went inside to see a movie at the El Capitan some years ago. Disney also did a great job on the New Amsterdam Theater in New York.

BhillH20
BhillH20 on May 3, 2006 at 2:05 pm

So nice to see a wonderful movie palace reach its 80th anniversary on this date and
still going strong since its opening day. Three cheers for the El Capitan!!

haineshisway
haineshisway on February 13, 2006 at 6:23 am

Between Earl Carrol and the Aquarius, that building was Frank Sennes' Moulin Rouge. They used to tape Queen For A Day there.

The Paramount was a gorgeous theater in the 50s and 60s. The first thing I consciously remember seeing there was Pardners with Martin and Lewis – afterwards, my parents took me to C.C. Brown’s for a sundae. I saw Vertigo there, and The Music Man and Dr. Dolittle and tons of others.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on January 26, 2006 at 11:30 am

I visited the El Capitan in October 2005. It was a real thrill to be in the theater which hosted the Hollywood premiere of “Citizen Kane”. Before the movie (“The Nightmare Before Christmas”), I took these photos of the organ recital:

tomdelay
tomdelay on January 4, 2006 at 6:39 pm

The organ is superb. It bears little tonal resemblence to its Fox days. The obvious reason for this is the size difference/accoustic environment of the two theatres—FOX 4700 seats vs. the El Cap at around 1500.

The crew taking care of the organ at the El Cap. did a wonderful job of bringing the organ’s voices together for a fine Wurlitzer ensemble.

If in the area, the El Cap and the organ are a MUST SEE-MUST HEAR. The organ will be presented in a short concert for people attending the Los Angeles Theatre Organ Society (LATOS) “Wurlitzer Weekend” early Saturday morning January 14, 2006 with organist Jelani Eddington at the console.

Patsy
Patsy on January 4, 2006 at 4:56 pm

Tom: Nice to read that the Disney Corp. was responsible for placing the former Fox Theatre/SF organ in the El Capitan.

Patsy
Patsy on January 4, 2006 at 4:54 pm

Is there a photo of this theatre’s restored organ? I just learned of its prior theatre location in SF through the book, Cinema Treasures and while visiting the CT Fox Theatre link.

simpsonr
simpsonr on October 17, 2005 at 10:12 pm

Happy to see a picture of the Wurlitzer which was originally in the San Francisco Fox Theater. Looks like it has been totally restored!
Plan to visit and hopefully hear the organ next time I am in the area.
Robert Simpson

uncleal923
uncleal923 on October 15, 2005 at 1:36 am

BillH;
That’s why we need more theater restoration.

BhillH20
BhillH20 on October 14, 2005 at 10:00 pm

The auditorium was so run down by the 1980s. It really needed a major overhaul. I always wondered how it looked beneath that dreadful looking so-called modernized plaster job. Look what was uncovered and restored! What a big difference…

evidonr
evidonr on October 5, 2005 at 11:55 am

With all due appreciation for the El Capitan’s fine restoration by Disney, does anyone else besides me remember how elegant the Hollywood Paramount interior was back in the 50s, before the series of increasingly gaudy renovations? It was my favorite movie theatre growing up in LA at that time (even more than the Chinese across the street, which was also much nicer inside then than it is now – with the original salmon-colored seats and gold-embroidered screen curtain). I still have fond memories of seeing such classics at the Paramount as Hitchcock’s Vertigo, Gigi (reserved seat engagement), The Nun’s Story, Sayonara, and a host of others. In its way, it was every bit as beautiful as the El Capitan is now and made every film seem a little better and more memorable.

Does anyone know of interior photos of the Paramount Hollywood from this time? I don’t believe it was part of a chain then. The marquee and exterior were also simpler and less glitzy than they became through various unfortunate transformations in the 60s, each seemingly uglier and more tasteless than the one before.

Bway
Bway on September 27, 2005 at 11:58 am

Yeah, unfortunately,I don’t remember if I took a photo the day I went by last year. If I remember correctly, “Pirates of the Caribbean” was the movie on the marquee, in the animated sign. I have to look through my photos.

Bway
Bway on September 27, 2005 at 11:32 am

Ah yes, just like I remember it. It is a sight to be seen. I love what they did with the marquee.

worstfilms
worstfilms on August 23, 2005 at 11:42 pm

The building to the right of the El Capitan was a Masonic Temple, and the building to the LEFT was a multi-storied office building that housed American Cinema Releasing. They distributed a lot of chop-socky in the late 70’s and early 80s.

And Fox rented out the Aquarius Theater on Sunset Blvd. (near the “world famous” Hollywood Palladium) for the short-lived Chevy Chase Show.

uncleal923
uncleal923 on August 5, 2005 at 1:21 am

I live in New York, but managed to see what’s on Hollywood Boulevard on a recent California trip. Trust me, to an outsider it’s spectacular.

bruceanthony
bruceanthony on August 4, 2005 at 5:06 pm

The New Amsterdam is a landkmark due to the interior of the theatre. Disney did incoporate the 1940’s-1950’s marquee as part of the history of the theatre. The New Amsterdam is more historic than the El Capitan. I had a small part in helping get Disney to restore the El Capitan. The El Capitan is both a restoration and a renovation. The marquee is a new marquee which I love but it is not historic. It is quite beautiful at night and is a tribute to the marquee’s of the past using the technology of today. I wish the Nederlander’s would have restored all the flashing neon on the Pantagees when they restored the theatre a few years ago. I wish Paramount and Warner Bros would restore the Chinese Dragon neon marquee they had removed when they restored the Chinese Theatre across the street. I have attended all the theatres along Hollywood Blvd for the past 40 years.brucec