Trylon Theater

98-81 Queens Boulevard,
Rego Park, NY 11374

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on July 9, 2004 at 8:15 am

Thanks for posting that, stukgh. I have a similar memory of the spring 1968 engagement of “Bonnie and Clyde” at the RKO Madison (q.v. on this site) Theater in Ridgewood, Queens.

stukgh
stukgh on July 9, 2004 at 8:12 am

My most vivid Trylon memory is the Spring 1968 engagement of “Bonnie and Clyde”. The house was packed and the audience seemed seemed unusually synched, riding the emotional roller coaster of that film like an enormous family, with gales of laughter at the comic scenes, colective gasps at the violent and suspenseful scenes that suddenly intruded, and stunned silence, with some open weeping, after the film ended. The greatest home theater set-up will never produce that sort of experience.

jurayj
jurayj on April 26, 2004 at 9:14 am

does anyone know the name of the architect who designed the Trylon Theater? I know it was built in 1939

please email me if you have the name

Paul Noble
Paul Noble on April 16, 2004 at 2:30 pm

The first time I can remember visiting the Trylon was in early 1940, for “Goodbye, Mr. Chips.” This was one of the first theaters in New York to have “hard-of-hearing aids”, and we sat in the loge with my hearing-impaired aunt who used the special headsets provided at no charge.

RobertR
RobertR on April 15, 2004 at 11:32 am

The Trylon always used the scalloped Austrian drapes until they started showing those tacky intermission slides. Then they only closed it at the end of the final movie. The Trylon showed mostly upscale product but not really independant or art films. Those were usually run by The Cinemart. The Trylon did best with things like Indecent Proposal which played for months.

Bway
Bway on April 15, 2004 at 11:26 am

I only had seen one movie in the Trylon, “A Stranger Among Us” much of which was actually filmed in Ridgewood, at the Forest Ave M station. I remember it usually playing “unusual” films.
I remember it being a really nice “old fashioned” theater that if I’m not mistaken, even opened and closed curtains in front of the screen still.

edward
edward on April 14, 2004 at 9:17 pm

Great facade but looks like it is slowly falling apart. Seems like it is unique enough to save. It’s historical link to the World’s Fair and the Trylon symbol is a great marketing tool in itself. Wonder if the last operator removed the projection equipment?

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on April 14, 2004 at 2:48 pm

Sad, sad, sad. I first attended this theater by seeing “Firstborn” there on Saturday November 3rd 1984 and left it having seen “Stargate” there Friday November 11 1994, one marriage, one pregnancy, 10 years and 8 days later. Many happy times in between, among them, “Witness” in 1985 and “Out Of Africa” in 1986. I remember “Bobrick” on the hot air hand dryers, and the “Main Road” sign out on Queens Blvd. visible from the inner lobby/

jurayj
jurayj on April 14, 2004 at 1:00 pm

also does anyone know the name of the community group that has plans to alter and use this building? Who owns it?

jurayj
jurayj on April 14, 2004 at 1:00 pm

arnold feel free to contact me about efforst to save the trylon theater my number is 718-782-2007. My apologies to anyone who has called so far, could you please recall as I have lost all the info on my voice mail.

also If people could start writing Chair Bob Tierney of the NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission as well as writing City Council Member Melinda Katz , asking them to landmark at least the exterior of the trylon.

thanks
john juray

RobertR
RobertR on April 13, 2004 at 2:02 pm

I have attended this theatre all my life, and fortunately the place was well maintained to the end. I dont know how well it is now, hopefully better then the outside looks. In an affluent area like Forest Hills couldent we support a 600 seat combination live and film venue. Stratons used to get alot of live name acts that could be presented here. A full time revival theatre would never cut it, but occasional festivals or classic nights would have a fighting chance. Arnold feel free to contact me at I used to manage another Forest Hills theatre and have lived in the area my whole life.

ArnoldGoldstein31
ArnoldGoldstein31 on April 13, 2004 at 1:55 pm

I’m doing an article on the ghost-like, neglected Trylon Theater.
I’m looking for quotes about this art-deco masterpiece to get
any information I can about it, i.e. what was its seating capacity,
are there any plans for its future, any people I can contact
about this theater, etc. Also interested in getting some facts about the defunct Elmwood Theater.
E-mail me at

ArnoldGoldstein31
ArnoldGoldstein31 on April 10, 2004 at 6:50 pm

The Trylon Theater should definitely be preserved as a landmark
building. It should be restored to its former self as one of the
last Art Deco theaters in New York City. It had a 60-year run and
it should be taken over by some entrepreneur and made into a
multi-plex so that it can compete with the other movie houses
in the Forest Hills area. The Trylon was the only theater in Rego
Park and the last of the single screen theaters anywhere!!!
Arnold Goldstein, Rego Park

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on March 20, 2004 at 7:29 am

Nearly all Queens street addresses are hyphenated. That should be 98-81 Queens Boulevard.

jurayj
jurayj on February 25, 2004 at 9:08 am

If you are interested in saving the trylon and trying to get is preserved and landmarked please call me at 718-782-2007 my name is John Jurayj and I am with the Historic Districts Council and the Modern Architecture Working Group

johnknox
johnknox on January 25, 2004 at 5:24 pm

I am part of a group looking to facilitate a charity film festival at the Trylon. While I do have others working on contacting the owners any information you could provide, including the name of any owner/rep/agent who will be open to this would be appreciated. My email is:

Thank you.

RobertR
RobertR on January 9, 2004 at 12:06 pm

I attended this theatre all my life and it makes me sick to see it sitting empty and rotting. Before Loews had it it was run by Interboro Theatres.

MartyBraun
MartyBraun on January 2, 2003 at 7:33 pm

According to local news sources the real estate firm of “First Home Brokerage”, which has offices next to the Trylon,will demolish it shortly in a planned expansion.

BelindaWilliams
BelindaWilliams on May 10, 2002 at 9:17 am

The info you have on the Trylon is incorrect. I live not too far from it & am interested in either purchasing it out right or leasing it in order to bring it back to it’s original luster. It still sits on Queens Blvd. marquee, front ticket booth & front lobby intact. The real estate company which manages the property is very uncooperative and not forth-right with it’s info at all. The owner should fire them based on their nasty receptionist alone! I don’t know what’s going on inside but it is definitely not being used for anything as there is absolutely no activity in and around the building itself. If anyone can tell me how I can go around the managing company & find the owner, I’d really appreciate it. It’s too good of a theater to let it go to pot.