Roxy Theatre

153 W. 50th Street,
New York, NY 10020

Showing 201 - 225 of 1,385 comments

BillSavoy
BillSavoy on January 16, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Dear Shanvdk, Your information in hand … will check my files and get back to you. Meanwhile, feel free to email me, any time, at:

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on January 16, 2011 at 1:30 pm

It’s probably a longshot, but you might try contacting the musicians' union for for information about players at the Roxy Theatre. Also the third floor Billy Rose Theatre Collection at the Performing Arts Library at Lincoln Center in NYC. They do have some material donated to the library by people who worked at the Roxy, but much is stored off-site and requires advance rservations to consult.

shanvdk
shanvdk on January 16, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Thanks so much Bill. I would appreciate any info :) In particular if you see anything about someone named Jim Dougherty. Not sure if I spelled the last night correctly but someone else i had talked to thought that might be the name of the person I’m looking for. Thanks so much Bill.

BillSavoy
BillSavoy on January 16, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Dear shanvdk, I have lists of various Roxy staff members over the years, but, unfortunately, none from the orchestra during the era you mention. When I have access to my files later this week, I will
look again, with your requests in mind. Hopefully, I can come up with something!

Vito
Vito on January 16, 2011 at 7:42 am

GAZEBO ad
Tinseltoes, you forgot Herman the pidgon :)

shanvdk
shanvdk on January 15, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Do any of you have any information on my post above?

BillSavoy
BillSavoy on January 15, 2011 at 2:58 pm

P.P.S. to hdtv267: They’re accurate.

BillSavoy
BillSavoy on January 15, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Dear Tinseltoes, I am intrigued by your knowledge and fascination with the Roxy (Until now, I thought I was the only one so obsessed!). I saw the place only once … when I was 9 years old, my parents brought me to see THE GAZEBO because they knew it was soon to close and wanted me to see the theatre. The irony is this: I remember NOTHING of the theatre … only the movie … but have gone on to build 4 (count ‘em 4) models of the place (one on display in the MUSEUM OF THE MOVING IMAGE in Queens) and am planning a 5th! ( a case for the Subliminal??). I worked as an usher at Radio City Music Hall in the early seventies, finding my way into the design department and am now a scenic artist, living in N.Y.C.. I have an extensive Roxy collection (much of it given to me by the late Ben Hal) and I own the original 1925 blueprints. I would love to share our mutual interest, if you are so inclined. Pease feel free to email me: P.S.: Would love to hear from ALL with Roxy memories to share!

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on January 15, 2011 at 10:54 am

On this day in 1960, the Roxy opened the final film/stage presentation of its lifetime. On screen was MGM’s “The Gazebo,” A B&W CinemaScope comedy starring Debbie Reynolds and Glenn Ford and based on a moderately successful Broadway play of the same title. Performing on the Roxy’s “Starlit Stage” were singer Dick Roman, Maria Neglia & Her Singing Strings, adagio dancers Harrison & Kossi, novelty act Les Marthys, musical clowns The Bizarro Brothers, and the house orchestra conducted by Robert Boucher. Despite low attendance, the booking lasted five weeks while the Roxy’s death and burial were being arranged.

shanvdk
shanvdk on January 2, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Hi all, I stumbled upon this website and am hoping you may be able to provide some information for me. My grandmother was a performer as an ice skater at the roxy back in 1948-52 ibelieve or somwhere in that time frame. Her name was Beatrice Lumley and her married name was Beatrice Flanagan. Her ex also worked there and his name was John Flanagan. They did the ice show inbetween the movies. I was wondering if anyone had info on the orchestra that played during those ice shows. I am particularily looking for the name of one of the drummer’s that was in it for a few years. Does anyone know where i might be able to get a list of names of the orchestra members? Thanks in advance for any help you may provide.

Vito
Vito on December 25, 2010 at 8:12 am

The original ad from that first Roxy christmas show in 1927

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on December 23, 2010 at 9:54 am

Today marks the 83rd anniversary of the opening of the Roxy’s very first Christmas presentation, which included William Fox’s silent romantic comedy, “Silk Legs,” starring Madge Bellamy and James Hall. But the massive stage spectacular was the most important element, with a cast of 250 performers and 110 musicians in the symphony-sized orchestra. Six years leter, “Roxy” Rothafel would move the stage concept to Radio City Music Hall, where it is still practiced today. The first at the Roxy included a musicalized “Cinderella” in five scenes; “Ballet of the Toys,” with prima ballerina Maria Gambarelli; “The Adoration,” a series of religious tableaux; and “Old English Christmas Carols,” with choristers grouped in the Gothic staircases adjoining both sides of the stage. “Gamby,” as the dancer became known to her legions of admirers, also performed in the first RCMH Christmas show in 1933.

Joseph
Joseph on December 13, 2010 at 6:16 am

It also should be added to resumption of stage & screen presentations with “The Rains of Ranchipur” in Dec. 1955, that the Roxy sold advanced mezzaine reserved seating similar RCMH to audience members seeking to better plan their attendance. Was this policy continued beyond this engagement?

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on December 11, 2010 at 7:32 am

Tmorrow (12/12/10) will mark the 55th anniversary of the Roxy’s resumption of stage shows to support its feature films. Stage revues had been dropped in September, 1953, with the unveiling of “The Robe” and the wide-screen CinemaScope process. The last feature of the CinemaScope-films-only policy was “Good Morning, Miss Dove,” which closed on December 11, 1955. The next day, the Roxy presented “The Rains of Ranchipur,” in CinemaScope and color with Lana Turner & Richard Burton, and an ice-skating revue entitled “Happy Holidays, Anywhere, USA.” Like RCMH, the Roxy had assembled its own group of skaters, dancers, singers, and musicians to perform the shows, with room for occasional “guest stars.” For this Christmas booking, it was Miroslova Nachodska, the Czechoslovakian National Dancing-On-Ice Champion.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on November 28, 2010 at 8:23 am

Today marks the 75th anniversary of the Roxy’s opening of the NYC premiere engagement of Fox’s B&W “In Old Kentucky,” the last film made by the beloved Will Rogers before his death in a plane crash in August of that year (1935). Another adored entertainer, Bill Robinson, topped the supporting cast. The Roxy’s variety stage bill included Jerry Mann, Moore & Revel, Gautier’s Toy Shop, the Ambassadors, Freddy Mack, and the Gae Foster Girls. Ironically, Will Rogers' final movie opened the same day, a Thanksgiving, as Lily Pons' screen debut a block east at Radio City Music Hall.

DonLewis
DonLewis on November 24, 2010 at 7:55 pm

From the 1920s postcard view of the Roxy Theatre in New York.

Richard G Holden
Richard G Holden on November 23, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Great remembrances. Before my time but were you actually there to experience these shows?

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on November 23, 2010 at 6:41 am

On this day in 1934, Universal’s B&W Fannie Hurst tearjerker, “Imitation of Life,” starring Claudette Colbert and Warren William, opened its world premiere engagement as part of the Roxy’s Thanksgiving holiday offering. Radio singing star Charles Carlile, the 3 Swifts, and Dorothy Crooker topped the variety stage bill…As luck would have it, nearly 25 years later in April, 1959, Universal’s Technicolor remake of “Imitation of Life” with Lana Turner, also debuted at the Roxy, with a skimpy stage revue, “Hawaiian Holiday,” featuring Jack Haskell, the Roxy Singers & Dancers Moderne, and the house orchestra conducted by Robert Boucher.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on November 17, 2010 at 8:28 am

On this day in Depression suffering 1933, Universal’s B&W fantasy thriller, “The Invisible Man,” with Claude Rains making his screen debut in a role rejected by Boris Karloff, opened its NYC premiere engagement at the Roxy Theatre. “The Miracle Stage Show” featured Phil (“The Singing Cop”) Regan, Dave Schooler & His Gang, Lusita Leers, other acts, and the resident Gae Foster Girls. All seats were 25 cents to 2pm, 35 cents to 6pm, and 55 cents to closing, a price scale described as the “Show Value of the Nation.”

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on November 13, 2010 at 8:22 am

On this day in 1936, 20th-Fox’s collegiate musical, “Pigskin Parade,” which started a new dance craze called “The Balboa,” opened its NYC premiere engagement at the Roxy Theatre. The B&W film is chiefly remembered today for providing Judy Garland with her first role in a full-length feature. She was billed seventh in the cast, preceded by Stuart Erwin, Patsy Kelly, the Yacht Club Boys, Jack Haley. Arline Judge, and Betty Grable, and followed by Dixie Dunbar, Johnny Downs, and Tony Martin. On stage, the Roxy’s “New Vaudeville Revue” presented radio singing star Loretta Lee, Walter “Dare” Wahe, Buster Shaver & His Hollywood Midgets (Olive & George), the Liazeed Troupe, the Gae Foster Girls, and the Roxy Orchestra conducted by Eddie Paul. Every day of the week, all seats at the Roxy were priced at 25 cents until 1:00pm. Children were charged 15 cents at all times.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on September 16, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Tonight marks the 57th anniversary of the world premiere of “The Robe” at the Roxy Theatre. Along with its introduction of CinemaScope, the Roxy ended the screen/stage policy that had been in existence since its opening in 1927. But by the Christmas holidays of 1955, CinemaScope had lost all its boxoffice punch, and the Roxy resumed stage shows, starting with “The Rains of Ranchipur” on screen.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on August 15, 2010 at 9:30 am

Here’s a 1941 view of the 50th Street exterior: View link

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on August 8, 2010 at 9:04 am

Here’s a link to unnarrated newsreel footage of the 1957 premiere of the remake of “My Man Godfrey,” with star June Allyson among the guests: View link