Roxy Theatre

153 W. 50th Street,
New York, NY 10020

Showing 201 - 225 of 1,148 comments

Joseph
Joseph on March 19, 2011 at 1:10 pm

RE: On this day in 1959, the Roxy opened what proved to be its final Easter holiday package, with Howard Hawks' Technicolor western, “Rio Bravo,” on screen. John Wayne, Dean Martin, and Ricky Nelson starred in the Warner Brothers release, with Angie Dickinson, Walter Brennan, Ward Bond, and John Russell featured. On its truncated stage, the Roxy presented “Spring Fever,” starring Dorothy Keller, with support from Earl Hall, the Roxy Singers & Dancers Moderne, and the Roxy Orchestra under conductor Robert Boucher. That year, the Roxy’s competition from Radio City Music Hall consisted of MGM’s “Green Mansions,” with Audrey Hepburn and Anthony Perkins, and a two-part stage revue including the sacred “Glory of Easter” and the secular “Spring Parade

It appears the ROXY had the better movie for Easter 1959.

Joseph
Joseph on March 7, 2011 at 12:40 am

crowds of people attending a demonstation of CinemaScope at the ROXY:

Joseph
Joseph on March 6, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Footage from the HALLS OF MONTEZUMA premiere:

TLSLOEWS
TLSLOEWS on February 6, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Thanks for the info Tinseltoes.

CConnolly1
CConnolly1 on February 4, 2011 at 12:55 pm

A very interesting image from the Museum of the City of NY archives. This shows the foundations of the Roxy as it was being constructed. You can clearly see the diagonal layout that has been mentioned many times on this site.

BillSavoy
BillSavoy on January 24, 2011 at 11:13 pm

Thanks so much for sharing your memories! I own 6 programs from 1938, but unfortunately, not your’s! I’ll keep searching!
Bill
P.S.: What was it like working for Fanchon & Marco?

clairebg23
clairebg23 on January 24, 2011 at 5:50 pm

I danced at the Roxy in 1938, military number,movie was A Yank in the RAF. I returned four years later as a regular Gae Foster Girl. Had to leave due to illness but have wonderful memories of my short but fulfilling career at the Roxy. This site brought back many happy memories.

shanvdk
shanvdk on January 23, 2011 at 2:44 am

Oh, and I’m thinking the gentleman I was looking for was probably closer to his early 50’s around that time. I’ll still check into it though :)

shanvdk
shanvdk on January 23, 2011 at 2:41 am

Thanks Bill! I will look into it. You never know were it might lead me. In the meantime keep passin along the info bc every bit helps. Thanks agin for taking the time to help me out :)

BillSavoy
BillSavoy on January 23, 2011 at 1:37 am

Dear Shanvdk, A shot in the dark: When I was an usher at Radio City Music Hall (1969-73), LEO Doughtery was the kindly, old, (70+) 50th -Street stage doorman (“Pops”). A million Doughtery’s in the the Naked City … but, you never know …!
Still working on it,
Bill!

BillSavoy
BillSavoy on January 22, 2011 at 11:36 pm

Dear Shanvdk, Sorry, no luck yet in finding Jim Dougherty. Don’t give up hope … you’d be amazed what Roxy factsI I can find, give the time!

BillSavoy
BillSavoy on January 22, 2011 at 11:30 pm

Lew White recorded organ music from the Roxy in 1927-28 for the Brunswick label. Unfortunately they were played on the 2-manual instrument in the broadcasting studio (not the auditorium’s) and are definately lackluster (compared to Jesse Crawford’s Victor, Paramount Theatre recordings from the same era). There were only a dozen or so made and occasionally come up on EBAY. The label must read: “Recorded at Roxy Theatre, N.Y.” otherwise, they read: “Recorded at "Lew White Organ Studio, N.Y.”… Know the difference! They are not great, but for Roxy historians, are a must! A recording also exists of “Teddy Bear’s Picnic”, recorded by Ben Hall ca. 1958-9 (I don’t own it, nor know where to get a copy). By that time the organ was piped through a P.A system and sounded
like “death-warmed-over”… but, again, a must for Roxy or theatre organ fans. Try contacting the “AMERICAN THEATRE ORGAN SOCIETY” Good luck!
Bill Savoy (508 612 5669)

Good luck!

moviebear1
moviebear1 on January 22, 2011 at 10:31 pm

Does anyone know if there are any recordings of the Roxy theatre Organ? I would love to hear what it sounded like.

BillSavoy
BillSavoy on January 17, 2011 at 1:20 am

Dear Shanvdk, Your information in hand … will check my files and get back to you. Meanwhile, feel free to email me, any time, at:

shanvdk
shanvdk on January 16, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Thanks so much Bill. I would appreciate any info :) In particular if you see anything about someone named Jim Dougherty. Not sure if I spelled the last night correctly but someone else i had talked to thought that might be the name of the person I’m looking for. Thanks so much Bill.

BillSavoy
BillSavoy on January 16, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Dear shanvdk, I have lists of various Roxy staff members over the years, but, unfortunately, none from the orchestra during the era you mention. When I have access to my files later this week, I will
look again, with your requests in mind. Hopefully, I can come up with something!

Vito
Vito on January 16, 2011 at 3:42 pm

GAZEBO ad
Tinseltoes, you forgot Herman the pidgon :)

shanvdk
shanvdk on January 16, 2011 at 3:21 am

Do any of you have any information on my post above?

BillSavoy
BillSavoy on January 15, 2011 at 10:58 pm

P.P.S. to hdtv267: They’re accurate.

BillSavoy
BillSavoy on January 15, 2011 at 10:16 pm

Dear Tinseltoes, I am intrigued by your knowledge and fascination with the Roxy (Until now, I thought I was the only one so obsessed!). I saw the place only once … when I was 9 years old, my parents brought me to see THE GAZEBO because they knew it was soon to close and wanted me to see the theatre. The irony is this: I remember NOTHING of the theatre … only the movie … but have gone on to build 4 (count ‘em 4) models of the place (one on display in the MUSEUM OF THE MOVING IMAGE in Queens) and am planning a 5th! ( a case for the Subliminal??). I worked as an usher at Radio City Music Hall in the early seventies, finding my way into the design department and am now a scenic artist, living in N.Y.C.. I have an extensive Roxy collection (much of it given to me by the late Ben Hal) and I own the original 1925 blueprints. I would love to share our mutual interest, if you are so inclined. Pease feel free to email me: P.S.: Would love to hear from ALL with Roxy memories to share!

shanvdk
shanvdk on January 2, 2011 at 8:52 pm

Hi all, I stumbled upon this website and am hoping you may be able to provide some information for me. My grandmother was a performer as an ice skater at the roxy back in 1948-52 ibelieve or somwhere in that time frame. Her name was Beatrice Lumley and her married name was Beatrice Flanagan. Her ex also worked there and his name was John Flanagan. They did the ice show inbetween the movies. I was wondering if anyone had info on the orchestra that played during those ice shows. I am particularily looking for the name of one of the drummer’s that was in it for a few years. Does anyone know where i might be able to get a list of names of the orchestra members? Thanks in advance for any help you may provide.

Vito
Vito on December 25, 2010 at 4:12 pm

The original ad from that first Roxy christmas show in 1927

Joseph
Joseph on December 13, 2010 at 2:16 pm

It also should be added to resumption of stage & screen presentations with “The Rains of Ranchipur” in Dec. 1955, that the Roxy sold advanced mezzaine reserved seating similar RCMH to audience members seeking to better plan their attendance. Was this policy continued beyond this engagement?