AMC Loews Paramus Route 4 Tenplex

260 E. Highway 4,
Paramus, NJ 07652

supermp2
supermp2 on May 30, 2007 at 5:28 pm

U-Hauls? I’d like to know what they’re moving. The building may be up indefinitely but if they are gutting the place, I guess we can put our dreams of this theatre being resurrected to rest. Hope that’s not the case.
Life goes on but I already miss this place like crazy. While it was trimmed down in recent years, they were also one of the last few theatres with a decent arcade. Yeah, I’m getting old.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on May 30, 2007 at 11:45 am

Maybe all the stuff from the old tenplex will be moved to other theaters owned by AMC. The movies that played at the tenplex were moved to the new location.

95Crash
95Crash on May 30, 2007 at 11:12 am

I work in an office building near the Tenplex, right off of the Route 4 East Forest Avenue exit, directly across from Shop Rite, and pass by the theater on my way to lunch every day. Yesterday I saw a U-Haul truck, albeit a small one, parked by the front doors. And today there was an 18-wheeler parked there, backed up to the front doors. I don’t know what they were moving. Maybe tomorrow I’ll stop over there and ask whoever is there what is going on.

JeffS
JeffS on May 30, 2007 at 9:18 am
"don't know much about the sony sdds.. it didn't work most of the time."

Not surprising, considering the location Sony chose to put the sound! For those not in the know, the SDDS digital track was placed on the edges of the film, the area subject to the most mechanical friction and wear. So the track got scratched and worn, and didn’t read properly.

photoman1001
photoman1001 on May 30, 2007 at 8:49 am

don’t know much about the sony sdds.. it didnt work most of the time.

photoman1001
photoman1001 on May 30, 2007 at 8:41 am

the theaters had magnetic, optical, dolby, dolby sr, dolby digital, DTS and Sony sdds.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on May 30, 2007 at 8:24 am

Which sound formats did this theater have? I guess most of them anyway.

PeterApruzzese
PeterApruzzese on May 30, 2007 at 5:48 am

Bill,

I think MBD is referring to the original Theatre One, which was chopped up sometime after 1983 (I don’t know when, but it was after Return of the Jedi and before Blue Velvet).

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 30, 2007 at 5:43 am

Referring to what MBD said: I didn’t know the big auditorium had been divided in half. When did that happen? I saw “The Phantom Menace” there in 1999 (the first digital presentation) and it looked intact to me. Although I realize a lot of bad things can happen to a very large theater in the course of 8 years.

mdvoskin
mdvoskin on May 30, 2007 at 3:45 am

I too will miss The Stanley Warner. Having grown up in the area, I saw countless movies there and at the Century’s Paramus (before it became a triplex). Unfortunately, there is nothing left of historical note to make it worth saving. Even with economics aside, what would be the point. The marble walls and art deco decor is long gone. To me, the theatre closed the day they walled up the balcony, and it was demolished the day they chopped the big auditorium in half.

JeffS
JeffS on May 30, 2007 at 2:46 am

Hey, don’t shoot the messenger. I’m not the only one that is speaking the truth, and have the same memories you do, so please don’t single me out. Theaters have become a cut throat business. Studios want to make their investments back in one or two weekends, not months or years anymore. Show it, reap the cash, destroy the prints. That’s how it works. Exhibition companies will do what it takes to draw people away from the home theaters. In the 50’s it was the studios that fought TV with CinemaScope, Cinerama, Stereo Sound, 3D, and VistaVision. Today it’s the exhibitors leading that charge.

I also don’t believe I ever told anyone to “get over it”.

photoman1001
photoman1001 on May 30, 2007 at 2:27 am

Jeff S… we all know that the theater is old. We all know that it will never go back to its original state. We do know that we will miss the memories of the place. That is what this site is for, so stop telling us to get over it.

Christophersepp
Christophersepp on May 29, 2007 at 3:47 pm

A lot of the above posters have some really good ideas in relation to what the Tenplex could become. Now, if only the borough would step in to foster those kinds of cultural investments, instead of more retail. Remember, even though AMC owns the property, it’s still ruled over by Paramus. In other words, if they don’t want it zoned for retail, they can step in and say it’s not happening. I still don’t know how the Bergen Mall would extend across the road, but that’s what I’ve heard. I’m not sure how true that is. The Tenplex might not be as nice as it once once, but it’s still far from a dump. In relation to the above comment about families frequenting the GSP theater, most won’t. Everyone I’ve spoken to who has children has said they will probably go to the Secaucus 6 or 8 instead of the mall due to the ease of parking and lack of traffic. I’m sure the GSP theater will do best with the teens who frequent the mall, as spoken about above, with their neverending cell phone conversations and talking through the movies. I know the Willowbrook AMC, while not actually connected to the mall, doesn’t get the amount of families as the older theaters, like Cinema 46 did. It’s all teens and preteens there, which is why I avoid it like the plague. Peter, thanks for the link to AMC investor relations.

JeffS
JeffS on May 29, 2007 at 12:40 pm

I sent a message to the administrators to change it to “Closed”

JeffS
JeffS on May 29, 2007 at 12:34 pm

I said that last week. It appears to be an administrative function.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on May 29, 2007 at 12:27 pm

Someone should change the status of this theater to closed…it’s not open anymore.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on May 29, 2007 at 12:24 pm

This is a dead issue..this will never reopen…

JeffS
JeffS on May 29, 2007 at 12:16 pm

Pete said: “…and lose a fortune :)”

And he’s correct. Sorry, but it IS all about the money, and good money isn’t going to be thrown out for bad. Not by a company like AMC.

Folks, the building’s 40 years old! You can be sure it has infrastructure problems by this point in time. It would cost a million+ dollars to tear away the other sections and refurbish it to a single screen house. And for what? Art films? Where is that money going to come from? You had “Cinema 35” (Rt 4 west, just before Rt 17) on the other side of the highway for years, it didn’t survive. It showed films like this.

I’m sorry to sound so negative, but that’s the realities of the economics.

And how is this expansion of the Bergen mall going to stretch around the back of the Shop Rite, and go down a hill to connect with the old Texplex property? There is a significant change of grade between those two lots. Don’t forget the auto dealer there too, and Toys R Us.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on May 29, 2007 at 11:52 am

John J. Fink said:

With that said, I think Paramus could support an art theater.

The Mall Theater in the Bergen Mall was a top quality art house for many years. I remember seeing “To Sir, With Love” there in 1967 and having to sit separately from the rest of my family because the place was so crowded.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on May 29, 2007 at 11:35 am

You’re right, Mr. Fink. What about a cinema/museum hybrid? That would be really cool.

John Fink
John Fink on May 29, 2007 at 11:30 am

AMC will never reopen the tenplex – it will just never happen, unless this thing becomes part of a larger project (such as the redevolopment of the Bergen Mall). Secondly, as much as I liked the Tenplex back in the Cineplex Oden days (I never visted in the RKO days) – the new theater is pretty good – one of the best multiplexes around in terms of screen size and comfort. It’s an improvement over the current state of the Tenplex. Although I think it’s location will bring in more kids with “nothing better to do” which is never good (look at the morons walking around GSP with their cell phones and imagine them in a cinema)

With that said, I think Paramus could support an art theater. 10 screens is maybe about 5 or 6 too many for an art theater (given these large theaters) so I think if the original 5 were some how saved, including Theater 1 and the remander of the building featured a bar, a cafe, or some additional venue with live performance, and maybe an art gallery – that would be the way to go. In fact thats something Paramus should look in to, aquiring the building as an art theater/alternative space – almost like SOPAC in South Orange or Real Art Ways in Hartford, CT. AMC has no interest in this kind of thing, as nice as the new 16-plex is they lack the inovation to offer these kinds of ammenities. Someone like National Amusements (which has the best theater in the county – Edgewater Multiplex, which has a decent track record of showing indie films – I saw Y Tu Mama Tombien, The Host, Notes on a Scandal, Waitress, and several other indies there) might collaberate with a non for profit on this type of center. But look at the new upscale plexes that AMC has opened, none of have lounges with full kitchens in them like National’s Cinema De Lux sites do. Regal and AMC aren’t interested in this sort of business model whereas National, Marcus Theaters, Landmark, Mann Theaters, and Muvico are looking on ways to drag people out of the house by making movie going a high end experience. That’s the way to save the tenplex, completly set it apart from the sixteen at GSP.

PeterApruzzese
PeterApruzzese on May 29, 2007 at 11:25 am

…and lose a fortune :)

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on May 29, 2007 at 11:12 am

I agree with you. It would be interesting if I would go to the Route 4 theater when it gets restored to its single screen glory. Sell all the other equipment except the 70mm/35mm projector, then play films in all sound and film formats known to man. Keep the tickets cheap (at opening day prices when the theater was first introduced in 1965), make the seats stadium seating rather than the old-style seating, and show nothing but classic trailers and films, not that AMC moviewatcher crap!!! For concessions, they should bring out the goodies: popcorn, candy, and soda as opposed to the massive food menu that AMC provides. And no Moviewatcher rewards, that takes up a lot of time and money!!! Online ticketing is a must as shows might get sold out. Rename it AMC Route 4 Palace.