Loew's Paradise Theatre

2413 Grand Concourse,
Bronx, NY 10468

Bway
Bway on January 25, 2007 at 1:44 pm

Not to mention that seeing that the Loews Capitol, the Roxy, etc are torn down or gone, what’s wrong with praising the theaters that are left? It may not have been the “grandest” theater in NYC….but it sure is a beautiful place regardless, espeically pooling from the theaters that are left, intact, and in good condition.

Ziggy
Ziggy on January 25, 2007 at 12:44 pm

Certainly the Roxy was grander, but since beauty is in the eye of the beholder, who can say? It seems to this outside observer that few other theatres in New York City, if any, were as beloved in their own neighborhood as the Paradise. I have elderly friends from Bronx who recall going to the Paradise with such amazing nostalgia and longing. Much more than I’ve ever heard from people recalling other theatres. It’s almost as if this building was the defining factor for their neighborhood. The theatre even gets mentioned in the movie “Marty” when a few bronxites are discussing what to do for the evening. Of course they pronounce it “Lowee’s Paradise”.

rlvjr
rlvjr on January 25, 2007 at 3:57 am

Instead of wasting time posting comments, go out and see a show at the PARADISE. There are four (4) currently listed through Feb 2007. Their website is listed above.

Much as I love this theatre, it was NOT the grandest or most beautiful in the USA let alone the World. Not even in NYC. Loew’s Capitol on Broadway was grander, as was the ROXY. But contrary to New York thinking, life does not end at the Hudson River. The Detroit FOX and it’s twin the St. Louis FOX are very much grander (and fully operational) to name just two of many. John Eberson designed movie palaces all across America, as did others.

Bway
Bway on January 2, 2007 at 4:35 pm

All I have to say is WOW!!!! truly beautiful.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on December 30, 2006 at 4:27 pm

Terrific photos! Thanks Life. Not sure if they’ve been posted before, but in a string this long, it’s not a bad thing to re-post items such as this every so often.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on December 30, 2006 at 3:22 pm

I am pretty sure this has never been posted. But I am not going to take the time to scan the long string of comments above to make sure. This PDF has a comprehensive photo set documenting the theatre’s interior, as well as many interesting written passages:

Most of the photos can be found in a series starting on page 20.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on November 21, 2006 at 11:36 pm

Yeah, I’d have to say that really stinks. I think I would have rather had a grid. They could have turned it into a trellace and hung fake foliage from it. LOL.

Don’t know enough to say whether or not the vents are needed in that configuration.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on November 20, 2006 at 8:57 pm

That is unfortunate. But I prefer a hole in the ceiling and a few ducts to the four-plex that previously existed. Sounds like they should paint it blue. Cannot think of a reason why it must be white.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on November 20, 2006 at 8:19 pm

I just realized that the online photo is cropped more severely than the image that went to print, so you can’t make out the recess to which I was referring. For those without the benefit of a printed edition, the cieling recess runs parallel to the stage and directly overhead of mid-center orchestra and it is painted completely white.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on November 20, 2006 at 5:47 pm

I saw the article yesterday as well. Too bad they had to cut that long recessed notch across the atmospheric ceiling. I assume that is for lighting? I also suppose that the notch is preferable to bolting a rig in place to hang from the cieling. I wonder if painting the recess the same shade of blue as the rest of the cieling would improve the look. In any event, it is nice to read how nicely the theater is doing. I also enjoyed the quotes and passages about Eberson discussing how he drew inspiration from the warm Floridian evenings he enjoyed while vacationing south for the winter.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on November 20, 2006 at 4:52 pm

Sweet! That is the first decent view I have seen of the auditorium.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on November 14, 2006 at 12:40 am

These guys at the Paradise don’t seem to be doing half-bad! It is heart-warming to see.

rabbitlaz
rabbitlaz on October 2, 2006 at 1:44 am

Im glad you enjoyed the show, rlvjr. I attended a similiar show there back in February and had a nice time as well. That show lasted 3 ½ hours. It’s a real pleasure seeing people once again, enjoy this real treasure of a theatre.

rlvjr
rlvjr on October 2, 2006 at 1:27 am

I returned to Loew’s PARADISE last night for the 9/30/06 Night in Paradise show. It had been 55 years since I’d last been there. Some of the theatre’s wonderful features are gone, but most remain; and the theatre is still magnificent.
We could not believe the Night in Paradise show lasted for 5 ¼ hours, starting just after 8 pm and ending at 1:18 am. A good show except for the excess of amplification (common at most music shows in 2006). Most of these now-elderly Black groups had (and still have) real talent; but truly talented entertainers do not need excessive volume to wow an audience.
A great big thank you to Orlando Lopes of the Theatre Historical Society, and many others, working to save this wonderful landmark; perhaps a small start to making the Bronx a better place.
Based on an average ticket price of $65, and with virtually all of the 3885 seats filled, I’d guess the show grossed $175,000 to $200,000. That compares to a flat zero if the theatre had remained shuttered. Of greater importance was the good time had by all.
I won’t soon return there, however. The 260 mile commute in each direction was a special occasion —– well worth the trouble —– not easily repeated (unless the show’s real good).

njmoviefan
njmoviefan on September 29, 2006 at 1:04 pm

I guess the September movie is not happening. :( Should we hope for October?

electricspike
electricspike on September 28, 2006 at 1:48 pm

Thanks Ziggy and Jim. I will definitely try those avenues first.

JimRankin
JimRankin on September 27, 2006 at 7:22 pm

Yes, by all means, approach the current owners of the theatre first, but if they decline you would do best to approach first The Theatre Historical Soc. of America preferably with good snap shots at their address give on the first page of their web site: www.historictheatres.org If they express no interest, The League of Historic American Theatres might through their site: www.lhat.org

Both of these groups have means by which they might sell them for you on a consignment basis, should they not be able to afford them.

Please contact them BEFORE you go to such as E-bay where speculators will snap them up to resell at outrageous prices to the wealthy who care nothing about history, but only want what they think of as “kitsch.”

Ziggy
Ziggy on September 27, 2006 at 6:36 pm

Hi Manfred. Why don’t you approach the theatre owners? They’d most likely by thrilled to have a chance to get some original fixtures back again.

electricspike
electricspike on September 27, 2006 at 3:04 pm

Many years ago I was involved in the renovation(electrical portion) of this beautiful theater when it was being split into smaller theaters (what a crime). I was able to retain some of the old light fixtures from the original theater. Some are solid brass (Exit sign, balcony sign)and some are wrought iron (main theater side aisle ceiling lights). Now I am seriously low on space to keep them and must sell them. If anyone is interested in these treasures of the past please contact me at , so we can talk.

njmoviefan
njmoviefan on September 22, 2006 at 3:21 pm

Any word on if the mid-to-late September showing of West Side Story is taking place this month?

Bway
Bway on September 14, 2006 at 1:05 pm

Can’t someone please submit an opening paragraph for this theater (I would, but feel someone more familiar with this theater should). It’s amazing that a theater as the status of one Wonder Theaters can get by on the site without even a sentence about it in the opening feature section.

ArchStanton007
ArchStanton007 on September 14, 2006 at 12:54 pm

The Daily News started a new Tuesday pullout section devoted to the Bronx, yet nothing about this wonderful theater has been featured. The owners are doing a poor job in promoting it. Few people outside of this site and that neighborhood are aware it’s even reopened.

Months back I had suggested to the publisher of “Back in the Bronx” magazine to start a bus tour of the Paradise from lower Westchester due to a lack of nearby parking and public fears of street crime which is very, very high in that 46th Precinct area. I usually park on Arthur Avenue and walk up, no problem, but most others fear the
area for good reason. Hopefully the midtown tour companies that presently operate Bronx tours will include the Paradise.

Am surprised the owner has not experimented with showing spanish language films as was done at National Amusements Concouse Plaza multiplex. Did they discontinue it??

QueenTee
QueenTee on August 7, 2006 at 5:28 pm

FOUND MY LOST LOVE AT THE PARADISE: I met a man who repeately asked me out, but I declined each time. One Saturday he called and asked me to join him for a movie and allow him to change my preception about him. I agreed. We went to the Paradise Theater to see Buglar, starring Whoopie Goldberg. Once we entered the theater, I noticed a gentelman that looked familar, Lorenzo P. We dated a few years before, but never took it to the next level because we both had significant others. Lorenzo greeted us, and my date stepped away to give us some privacy. (MISTAKE #1) Lorenzo and I quickly caught up with each other status (both single) and he asked to visit me the next day. I agreed and offered my number but he refused, stating that he did not need it because there would be no excuses for him not to see me the next day, just give me your address and I’ll be there. Till this day, I don’t know if it was due to my excitment of seeing him the next day or if the movie was wack, but I had to get out of there and sleep so the day would be over already. Of course I did not decline when my date wanted to leave during the middle of the movie because he was not into it. At my apartment door, I tried to end the date but my date wanted to come in for a drink of water. I let him in and got him the water, he slipped it slowly and tried to get close to me. I was looking for a reason to end the date quickly and he gave it to me when he tried to show me how sexy he was and rubbed up on me.(MISTAKE #2) Goodnite Mr. Nasty! Sleep, Sleep, Sleep. Awake! I was a happy women when Lorenzo showed up at my door the next afternoon. We were inseparable. A few MONTHS later, my date called and I thanked him for the movie and making it possible for me re-connecting with the love of my life. Lorenzo and I were together for many years, but even good things sometime come to an end. I have been to the Paradise several times but of course this was the most memorable. Thanks for reading.

rabbitlaz
rabbitlaz on August 1, 2006 at 11:12 pm

According to their website, there will be a comedy show on August 26th. Sounds like a good idea.

rlvjr
rlvjr on July 22, 2006 at 7:22 pm

THE TIME IS NOW! I found tickets for the Paradide listed on the TickerMaster site for “Night in Paradise” on September 30th. It says it’s a night of classic r&b music. Several Black groups. Well, OK, I’m white but I’ve seen many shows at Washington DC’s Howard Theatre, Washington’s equivalent of Harlem’s Apollo. Black people speak English, likewise sing in English. That’s all I ask. Before rap they made good music, many still do. Tickets are $75, 65, 55 or 45. Pretty steep, but so what? I’ll be there —– in Row A. What about you?