Loew's Paradise Theatre

2413 Grand Concourse,
Bronx, NY 10468

PeterApruzzese
PeterApruzzese on February 25, 2008 at 11:41 am

The Paradise was offered a complete working 35mm setup at no charge (as well as the programming of a full classic film series schedule) a few years ago and was not interested. Sadly, the original booth has been converted into “luxury boxes”, so there would need to be construction to accommodate projection gear.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on February 25, 2008 at 11:10 am

I don’t think that showing movies there is as easy as it might seem. The Paradise is a commercial venture (not non-profit), so it would have to make a deal with the projectionists' union. Also, installing projection equipment, a screen, etcetra, won’t be cheap.

movieguy
movieguy on February 25, 2008 at 10:59 am

I just spoke to an agent at the box office.There is boxing this Thursday and on April 26th a Latin concert.More events will be added by the middle of the week.

Showing older movies from the 30’s-80’s when no big events are taking place would be a good way to make $$$.Charge $6.00 and do a double feature.

They just have to get projection equipment and set up for films.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on February 25, 2008 at 9:14 am

Sorry! The number that I phoned is the one listed on this page. I just tried phoning the corrected number (at 9:10 AM EST), but it just rang and rang until I finally hung up. I guess they’re not open yet, though one would think they’d have an answering machine to cover that…The official link in the CT introduction doesn’t seem to work. I could only get to the website through a link that I found at Google: www.theparadisetheater.com/en/defaulten.htm

movieguy
movieguy on February 25, 2008 at 12:34 am

The phone # for The Paradise on the top of this page is INCORRECT it should be changed to 718-563-2222

movieguy
movieguy on February 25, 2008 at 12:32 am

I just called @ 12:35AM and the number was working.Someone DID answer “Utopia’s Paradise Theatre” they were security but said to call the box office in the morning.

I will check it out and see what info I can come up with.

beardbear31
beardbear31 on February 24, 2008 at 11:45 pm

and now their website seems to be down….

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on February 23, 2008 at 10:46 am

Something has apparently gone wrong at the Paradise. No events have been held since December, and there’s nothing scheduled for the future. I’m not even sure if the events listed for December were actually held. Today, when I tried phoning the number listed at the Paradise’s website, I got only a recorded message: “Sorry. The number you have reached is not in service at this time. No further information is available.”

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on January 31, 2008 at 9:27 am

The Paradise has been keeping a very low profile since it re-opened in 2005. According to its website, only two “events” took place last December. I wonder if the owners are having financial problems?

derosa
derosa on December 23, 2007 at 9:58 pm

My uncle was Jerry DeRosa. He managed the Paradise Theatre from about 1930 until his death in 1945. In fact, he actually died of a heart attack in the theatre. His brother was my uncle Eugene DeRosa, who as an architect, along with my father Felix DeRosa, designed a number of famous theatres in New York in the 1920s. If anyone has any information these three DeRosa brothers, I would be very appreciative. I have so little information myself. NOTE: Jerry was born in 1891 in the region of Calabria, Italy. He arrived at Ellis Island in 1897.

mp775
mp775 on September 8, 2007 at 10:23 pm

The video you have from the library is the film that is being shown at the Portage next Saturday. It was written and directed by Steve Samtur of Back in The Bronx. It is not the same video as the YouTube clip.

johnblattnerstudios
johnblattnerstudios on September 3, 2007 at 9:17 pm

Yeah…the video that i’m holding is at View link I don’t know if it’s the same thing. Its on VHS.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on September 3, 2007 at 4:44 pm

Thanks for sharing. That clip is actually from an installment in a long running PBS series featuring walking tours through various parts of NYC. Previous episodes include “A Walk down 42nd Street” and “A Walk Up Broadway,” each featuring host David Hartman and NY historian Barry Lewis. It’s an excellent series with lots of great footage, photos and historical anecdotes.

johnblattnerstudios
johnblattnerstudios on September 3, 2007 at 1:28 pm

There IS a documentary film about the Paradise Theater. A clip of the film is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmOI95U40nA I’m borrowing a copy on video from the New York Public Library (I don’t know if it’s the same thing as the YouTube video I showed you…but it might be). The Paradise was one of the grand movie palaces of it’s day. I wish they would show movies again!

mp775
mp775 on August 28, 2007 at 4:19 pm

The 2003 documentary Loew’s Paradise Theatre, narrated by WPIX anchor Marvin Scott, will be shown on Saturday, September 15 at the Portage Theater as part of the “Preserving Palaces” documentary film festival, along with The Wizard of Austin Boulevard and Memoirs of a Movie Palace. The festival begins on Friday, September 14 with Uptown: Portrait of a Palace and Preserve Me a Seat (chronicling efforts to save the Indian Hills in Omaha, Gayety/Publix in Boston, DuPage in Lombard, and Villa in Salt Lake City). A theatre preservation discussion panel will follow the films on Saturday night. For complete information, visit www.portagetheater.org.

rlvjr
rlvjr on August 19, 2007 at 1:14 am

MOAN! MOAN! MOAN! BOO! HOO! HOO! If you really want to find the website, just Google: Utopia’s Paradise. That’s it. It took me less than 30 seconds.

After all the talk, we get a poster who moans about tickets costing more than $50. How shocking! A live show costing more than $50 —– for the good seats! Alert the media! GROW UP! That’s what shows cost these days. I’ll say it again: Sign off and go buy a ticket. Learn to live some sort of life besides the internet.

derekwoods
derekwoods on August 8, 2007 at 2:13 pm

I have enjoyed many of the posts, and thank all the positive responses about the Bronx. This years Bronx Ball was held at the Paradise, so you might like to check out the video I posted. Some shots of the interior (www.youtube.com/dwiproductions)
Stay Well
Derek Woods
Producer/Host
Bronx Magazine

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on August 5, 2007 at 11:39 am

I was finally able to get into the website through this link found with the help of Google. The current owners have re-written history with the opening sentence in the section about the theatre’s past: “The Paradise Theater was opened in 1929 as the nation’s premier movie house and vaudeville stage.” Give us a break!
www.theparadisetheater.com/en/defaulten.htm

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on July 29, 2007 at 11:56 am

Since I posted the link to that article on 7/18/07, I haven’t been able to connect to the Paradise website. The name Paradise appears on the screen, but nothing after that. I wanted to check the Paradise’s upcoming schedule, but perhaps the theatre has closed for the summer?

Broan
Broan on July 29, 2007 at 11:31 am

Perhaps english did not realize the dateline was July 17, 2007.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on July 29, 2007 at 10:27 am

I wasn’t trying to “intimate” anything. When I read the article, I never connected it with the Bronx of today, and I don’t think that the NYT writer intended to either. It’s simply a nostalgia piece. If it irks you, send an e-mail of complaint to The New York Times.

mauriceski
mauriceski on July 28, 2007 at 8:03 pm

Warren, Warren, WARREN, what are you trying to intimate by referring to something that happend over twenty years ago. The Bronx is Safer than a lot of places in Surburbia. Do you agree?

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on July 18, 2007 at 9:08 am

Loew’s Paradise is prominently mentioned in this article from yesterday’s New York Times: www.nytimes.com/2007/07/17/nyregion/17ink.html?

IanJudge
IanJudge on July 11, 2007 at 1:44 pm

This is why theaters have insurance! These kinds of claims happen all the time, but are not usually in the press unless someone is connected or very very whiney.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on July 11, 2007 at 10:08 am

I think that reporter Coleman has already pre-judged the case by stating that the man fell down a “rickety” staircase. That is the injured’s claim, but how does Coleman known that’s true? If the case goes to trial, a jury will have to decide whether the staircase was “rickety” or not. I’m sure that the Paradise’s lawyers will claim that it was “safe.”