Showing 201 - 225 of 1,104 comments
Address should be 850, not 8500.
You can see from http://www.sbcwickford.org/history/history.html that it appears the Wickford Theatre is the old Odd Fellows Hall while the Mathewson Hall was on Brown Street.
Research has turned up that Esmond Hall, likely also known as the Esmond Theatre, in Smithfield was used for movies through at least 1929. It’s location was on Esmond Street. There is currently a venue called the East Smithfield Neighborhood Center at 7 Esmond Street. It was built in 1900 and sure looks like those old village halls where movies used to be shown many years ago. Although I cannot prove it, it seems likely that this is the former Esmond Hall.
See a photo of it at http://calendar.boston.com/smithfield_ri/venues/show/972697-east-smithfield-neighborhood-center
The Durand closed down in January 2013.
Does anyone know anything about a Grand Theatre in Durand in the 1920’s? Was it a previous name for this one or was it a different theatre?
proudlion: The 1929 Film Daily Yearbook shows a Strand Theatre in Boscobel.
Now called Micon Cinemas Eau Claire.
This theatre closed in 2012.
Whose website? The Art Cinema does not have one AFAIK.
This theatre should be listed as open.
Actually, it appears to be on the Southeast corner.
This is closed now.
The gay nightclub will also contain Guest House Theatres – a two screen movie theatre showing gay-themed movies, so it looks like technically this one will reopen – just with a drastically reduced screen count.
The ShowRoom Cinema closed at 708 Cookman Avenue on October 19, 2012. A new ShowRoom Cinema, with three screens (seating 75, 25, and 12) opened across the street at 707 Cookman Avenue on November 23, 2012.
The summary up top is wrong. The theatre closed in summer of 2011 (9/8/2011) not 2012.
Anyone know of anything going on with this theatre yet?
The Latchis Theatre is listed in the 1920 business directory at 6 Flat Street. 6 Flat Street is around the corer, but is still the same building. However, the description above says this theatre opened in 1938. Was the one in 1920 at 6 Flat Street a different theatre in the same spot? Was it located elsewhere in the same building?
Address is 3156 Route 22.
An article about it can be seen at http://www.mpcourier.com/article/20120801/OGD01/708019802/0/dco
address was 446 Main Street
address was 67 Pleasant Street
Listed as the Star Theatre in the 1918 business directory.
address was 20 Rock St.
Address of 370 Broadway
Palace was at 95 Exchange Street in the 1917 city directory.
Address was 177 Exchange Street.