Comments from aek316

aek316 commented about Deerbrook Cinema on Oct 6, 2013 at 9:37 pm

The general cinemas sign was taken off the outside of the mall building recently :(. Is something finally happening with the theater I wonder?

aek316 commented about Bricktown Square Cinema on Jul 18, 2012 at 4:38 pm

I grew up in the area and went to this theater many times. The Bricktown Square was solely in the gym space. Sportmart and the theater were built and were opened at the same time. Cinematour is wrong. I would really like to see pictures of the Bricktown before it closed too, but I haven’t been able to find anything online. I remember seeing Back to the Future 3 here opening weekend. It played on 4 of the 6 screens! This was a great theater, but the area surrounding it did it in as well as it being sold to short lived Meridian Theaters. I am still surprised Loews didn’t acquire this theater when they bought out Cineplex Odeon-

aek316 commented about AMC Loews Norridge 10 on Jul 17, 2012 at 11:30 am

I spoke to an employee at the theater as their number is still listed on Fandango and he told me AMC shut them down. No current plans for the building he said that’s strictly up to the landlords, but AMC is done with the theater. In a perfect world, someone like Classic Cinemas would step in and give it the new life it needs, but I’m sure some stupid big box store will be going there!

aek316 commented about AMC Loews Norridge 10 on Jul 17, 2012 at 11:27 am

I knew this was coming. Broan is right on, they ran this place into the ground which is a horrible shame. 40+ years in business! While renovations were sorely needed, this theater was very unique. It had big screening rooms unlike the ones you have at today’s multiplexes, comfortable seats and a look that recalled theaters of yesteryear. As usual, AMC let it rot into oblivion just like they did with countless other theaters they owned that were older. Classic Cinemas please step in before it’s too late!

aek316 commented about McClurg Court Cinemas on Apr 18, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Great picture!

aek316 commented about McClurg Court Cinemas on Nov 19, 2011 at 6:06 am

I’d love to see some pictures of the theater when it was still in operation. I remember there being 3 huge posters out in the front and the marquee being lit up at night.

aek316 commented about McClurg Court Cinemas on Nov 19, 2011 at 6:04 am

My wife and I were downtown last night and we’re going to catch a flick at River East. The bus let us off right by Mcclurg Court. We walked over and I peered inside a couple of the doors and everything is completely gone. Terribly sad. The only thing left is the ticket booth in front. It doesn’t look like there’s any plans or construction underway for the site so I am curious why everything would be ripped out if there’s no plans for the space. Again terribly sad. RIP MCclurg Court.

aek316 commented about Rivertree Court Cinemas on Oct 14, 2011 at 2:56 pm

White Sox fan,

Unfortunately, the Rivertree Court is no more. The building is still standing, but Gordman’s did buy the space and completely gutted it. I drove by the other day and the cinema sign was even replaced by a Gordman’s sign. I haven’t seen the building up close in awhile, but you probably wouldn’t recognize it from the outside. I am extremely bummed about RT’s closing too. I only was in there once a few weeks before it closed and it was unique in the fact that it was a Cineplex Odeon timepiece. The minute I heard AMC bought it I knew the end was near. After all, they closed it once before and AMC doesn’t give a damn about their older theaters (see Norridge, Webster Place or any of their other older theaters). Kerasotes was a good company that cared about its theaters and more importantly, its customers. How did AMC manage to monopolize Chicago area theaters with their crappy upkeep?!

aek316 commented about McClurg Court Cinemas on Mar 31, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Afraid I have some bad news for fans of Mcclurg Court. As some of you may have seen on this site, theater management was offering to sell seats and projectors, etc. to cinema treasures users. I inquried to the e-mail address today inquiring about one of the old Cineplex poster cases. I got a reply saying that the owners e-mail posted late on the Cinema Treasures site and they had a salvage company come in last weekend and remove virtually everything out of the theater! I wrote back to see what they planned to do with the theater space, but I haven’t gotten a reply yet. In any case, it looks like any hopes we had of a Mcclurg Court revival are now gone. I am bummed for 2 reasons: 1) I really would like a CO poster case (i also seemingly acted late when I tried to get one out of Rivertree Court, the realty company has yet to call me back)and 2) I never saw a movie here and based on all the posts above, it was an amazing experience. I held out hope someone would revive it so I could have such an experience. I doubt any new movie theater ever built will have a big room with a huge screen like Mcclurg. RIP Mcclurg Court!

aek316 commented about North Riverside Mall Theatre on Aug 20, 2010 at 1:11 pm

I was inside the mall for the first time in years a few weeks ago and took a peek inside at the lobby. My friend did me one better and walked right into the lobby (it was afternoon and we weren’t planning on going to a show). We looked around at the modifications and it’s largely the same as I remeber albeit new paint and carpeting. The concessions moved across the lobby from where they were and they have a fill station for popcorn and soda where the old concession stand was.It was good to see one of my childhood theaters still in business though it did look a little aged. Hopefully Classic will make a go with it. BTW, all Cineplex signage is gone. I guess all that’s left CO wise I think is Rivertree Court which I plan to see soon. All in all,the mall and theater seemed better kept up then I remember upon my last visit.

aek316 commented about Hillside Square Theater on Aug 20, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Hi, I was looking up info about the Hillside theaters online the other day and someone posted on a website thread remebering the Hillsdie Mall that the churches that are currently housed in both former Hillside Theaters are not really operating as churches. Can anyone elaborate on that?

aek316 commented about Hillside Mall Cinemas on Aug 20, 2010 at 1:06 pm

aek316 commented about Lincoln Village 1-6 on Apr 8, 2010 at 5:31 am

Thanks for the info Cinemark. I will definitely check out Rivertree as I live near Vernon Hills. I’m trying to figure out where in the Hawthorne Mall they’d put a theater? I had no idea AMC is buying Kerasotes. That’s a shame, because Kerasotes had a lot of nice theaters and AMC seems to run their theaters into the ground.

Just a small correction: Add Bricktown Square to the list of fitness centers. The sportmart is next door. I frequented Bricktown and North Riverside in my youth. Bricktown was a great theater until the neighborhood and mall started to decline and it’s good to see the North Riverside revitalized by Classic Cinemas. Too bad they couldn’t preserve many of the theaters you mentioned above.

Good luck in your quest to purchase River Oaks and Mcclurg! Have you heard anything on either?

aek316 commented about Lincoln Village 1-6 on Apr 7, 2010 at 10:06 am

These pictures are truly tragic and put the final nail in this theater’s coffin. All the vandalism and the marquee damage! Not only is this place not in shape to become a theater again, I feel sorry for the school that’s going in its place! Obviously the neighborhood is not so hot around there either.

Does anyone know if any theaters if any (open or closed) remain in the area with the Cineplex decor?

aek316 commented about Lincoln Village 1-6 on Mar 15, 2010 at 10:39 am

Another Cineplex cinema destroyed. Can anyone tell me if any CO’s are left w/original decor (open or closed)? Why would anyone go through the expense and trouble of removing seats, screens etc if it’s going out of business anyways? So many good cinemas pointlessly destroyed by Village Entertainment. It’s criminal!

aek316 commented about Oakbrook Center Cinemas on Mar 15, 2010 at 10:36 am

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but weren’t there always stores on the oppisite side of the theater? When I was last at the mall 2 or so years ago, I did see the box office covered up. I guess whether they built in the theater space or not, sadly I don’t think it’s ever goign to function as atheater again. Sad story indeed. All the old Cineplex’s are almost gone…

aek316 commented about Oakbrook Center Cinemas on Dec 2, 2009 at 6:26 am

Does anyone know if Oak Brook 1-4 was converted into anything or is it still unoccupied?

aek316 commented about North Riverside Mall Theatre on Oct 7, 2009 at 9:59 am

Drove by this theater a couple of weeeks ago. All Cineplex signage is gone having been replaced by Clasic Cinemas logos. The thetaer must be doing okay under it’s new management, but a part of me is sad that there’s even less evidence of cineplex left-

aek316
aek316 commented about Picture Show at Bloomingdale Court on Oct 7, 2009 at 9:57 am

This is great news that some of these old theaters can live on as a second run. It’d be cool if the old theaters that village ruined like Lincoln Village or other long shuttered vacant theaters could be reopened. Especially given our economy, I think second run places like this could be very profitable-

aek316 commented about Deerbrook Cinema on Oct 7, 2009 at 9:54 am

This one sounds like it could be a prime candidate to become a 2nd run theater. What does everyone think?

aek316 commented about Moviemax Cinemas on Apr 17, 2009 at 8:38 pm

I went to dinner in the area today and drove by the theater afterwards. What a difference a couple of months makes! It looks from the outside like a modern theater all shiny and new! The poster cases were illuminated outside and even the marquee was redone. I couldn’t really see inside because the doors were still covered in paper, but it looks like from the lighting that there was a complete overhaul done in the lobby too. I was kind of hoping to see some 2nd run movies shown here, but regardless, I definitely have to stop in and check out what they’ve done to the place when it opens (anyone know when that is?). A part of me is a little sad there will be no more Cineplex Odeon decor inside, but I guess Village Theaters is the only chain that does zero renovations to the theaters they reopen. All in all, good to see someone do something positive to an older theater rather then carve it up for retail or make it into a church or gym.

aek316 commented about Geneva 4 Theatre on Mar 7, 2009 at 12:44 pm

I was in lake Geneva last week and it looks like they’re showing movies again. They were showing “Frost Nixon”, “Slumdog Millionaire”, and “Revolutionary Road”. It also looks like they do live performances as well. Good to see this place alive again!

aek316 commented about AMC Loews Norridge 10 on Jan 30, 2009 at 5:21 am

Thanks for the good news nightshadezero! Based on what you said about your job, they must’ve just told you! I remember at this time last year I asked the manager if they were closing, and he said it depended on Costco building on the site. If they said no, the theater would remain open. Apparently, Costco has passed on the space. I’m so glad! Nightshadezero, how’s business? Do you know if the property is still for sale? The theater still looks fairly busy when I drive by it at night. I really think with some proper renovations, this theater could thrive for a long time. Good location, big screening rooms. It’s good to see history prevail over blah big box retail for once (at least for now)! Thanks for the update nightshadezero, and good luck with your new job!

aek316 commented about AMC Loews Norridge 10 on Jan 29, 2009 at 9:22 pm

There may be a ray of hope for the Norridge! I just read online that Costco WILL NOT be building on the Maurice Lenell lot or the surrounding property. Maybe the theater will have a stay of execution? If so, one word for AMC: Renovate!

aek316 commented about McClurg Court Cinemas on Dec 10, 2008 at 9:29 pm

CinemarkFan,

I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Your plans for Mcclurg sound great!I am glad that Baum’s retail plans are failing. This is too unique a theater to turn into same blah retail. I don’t know near enough about real estate, but you’d think they’d at least entertain offers to reopen the space as a cinema! However as I said before, better it remain vacant and largely untouched then the alternative…Best of luck!