Comments from alps

alps commented about AMC Voorhees 16 on Mar 24, 2017 at 8:34 am

The first week of AMC Voorhees, was a bit bumpy. Beauty and the Beast was handled well but the theater will go through major changes in the first few months. The Coca-Cola Freestyle machine is ugly and ruins the lobby, I am sure AMC will make this theater look like an AMC theater. The classic movie posters and photos of great directors will be removed, the competition from Cinemark in Somerdale with their “luxury seating”, will prompt AMC to do the same, and I am sure a “baby IMAX or Lie-Max” will be built, Romon Posel is turning over in his grave, too bad, this theater had a great run but the Barbarians are at the gate.

alps commented about AMC Voorhees 16 on Mar 24, 2017 at 8:34 am

alps commented about AMC Voorhees 16 on Mar 5, 2017 at 10:51 am

Carmike is slowly becoming an AMC theater, they have installed a Coke freestyle machine and on March 14th will install new pricing, eliminating 5.00 Wednesdays, The better be careful the reason this theater does well is because of the relationships they have with their customers.

alps commented about 61st Street Drive-In on Feb 1, 2017 at 6:15 pm

The last time I went there was 40 years ago, I saw Richard Pryor in Greased Lightin and Freebie and the Bean.

alps commented about AMC Voorhees 16 on Dec 29, 2016 at 1:39 pm

The AMC takeover has begun with promises not to make too many changes until months later. I just hope that they change out that popcorn soon. I can see a “Baby” IMAX like in Cherry Hill, Carmike Ritz 16 has a loyal following with their popcorn buckets.

alps commented about Ritz East Theater on Dec 16, 2016 at 5:43 pm

The best theater of the Philadelphia Landmark theaters, the staff are great and some of them remember you. The screens and the sound are top notch and on occasion, the manager will greet you before the film starts. I go out of my way to attend a film there *****

alps commented about Ritz at the Bourse on Dec 16, 2016 at 5:39 pm

As with the Ritz Five, Landmark refuses to put money to update this theater as well. I have encountered too many broken seats as of late. A security issue remains from time to time mentally ill homeless people would find their way in the theater. Still better than the Ritz Five.

alps commented about Ritz 5 Theatres on Dec 4, 2016 at 12:55 pm

I know I am beating a dead horse but, the Rize Five really needs to be replaced. This theater is so outdated and uncomfortable I can’t stand going anymore unless the film is in the big theater. Yesterday I was forced to see ELLE there, the film was to play as a sister opening at Carmike Ritz 12 in Voorhees, for whatever reason, it didn’t open. I was looking forward to seeing this amazing piece of French Cinema, and it didn’t disappoint. Unfortunately, this did not play in the big house but in the worst theater that was there, and what happened to the disclaimer about talking during the film? To old ladies sat behind me and chatted away during the entire film, I shushed them once they stopped for a while and continued. I only attend this theater when I have to.

alps commented about Ritz 5 Theatres on Aug 17, 2016 at 6:55 pm

Last June the Ritz 5 celebrated its 40th anniversary. It’s aging but management is still doing a great job running it, I now assume that it will never be replaced by a more up to date cinema. In New York Landmarks Sunshine Cinema is being upgraded, why now here?

alps commented about AMC Voorhees 16 on Jun 26, 2016 at 5:20 pm

Here we go again, AMC has acquired this theater. The Carmike more than any other chain that ran this theater, has a good relationship with those that attend it. It’s pricing for the admission and concessions is what keeps this house well attended week after week, if AMC plans to curtail the good will that the hands on current Carmike management built with its guests, such as raising prices and offering nothing, they will fail.

alps commented about Cinemark 16 and XD on Jun 26, 2016 at 5:14 pm

This is a great theater and well run. I go there on a regular base. I enjoy the XD; Mad Max Fury Road was awesome on that screen. There is one drawback, the older theater have terrible sightlines, you have top sit in the back of the theater to avoid it’s slopping effect. The newer screens are perfect, theater 14, I believe is the best screen.

alps commented about AMC Loews Cherry Hill 24 on Jun 26, 2016 at 5:08 pm

My Last visit to this theater in January of 2016 to see The Hateful Eight in its 70mm Roadshow, I used to avoid this theater because of the reviews of patrons, but now this is commonplace at all theaters. I saw Hateful 8, on a weekday at its first showing I believe, and it was wonderful, had no problem at all, I guess this is the time to go there. Never on the weekends, never!!!!!!!!

alps commented about Eric's Place Theatre on May 26, 2016 at 8:10 am

If memory serves, two of the producers of the film, a married couple named Bauer, lived outside Philadelphia, this explains why Gary Busey was there.

alps commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Jan 23, 2016 at 11:10 am

Saddened but not surprised. The first time I went to the Ziegfeld was in the summer of 1979, Apocalypse Now, with assigned seating, and it was magnificent. The last film I saw there was Hugo. Even New York has changed so much, I don’t recognize it anymore. I get up there about every other month, the tourists are ruining it. In Philadelphia, we just suffered the mindless destruction of the Boyd Theater, which could have had a second act as a Broadway touring theater instead of the unsuitable Academy of Music.

The failed Hateful 8 70mm experiment, is the death knell for the motion picture theater experience, most people just don’t care enough about it. I wish the Ziegfeld would have gone with a 70mm Road Show spectacular, with Ben Hur, Lawrence of Arabia, which I saw there, one of the best cinematic experiences I’d ever had. I appreciated the craftsmanship of the theater, the curtains, the valor seats, and the staff; I wish it well as it transition into a ball room.

alps commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Nov 1, 2015 at 1:06 pm

Marc Lawrence, the tough guy actor from the early days of film noir to “Four Rooms” said of Quentin Tarantino, called him “a headline”, because he got so much attention for doing things that have been done better years ago. The Ziegfeld Theater, I would be surprised it they got “Hateful Eight” over “Star Wars the force awakens”. With box office being what it is, that would be a silly risk. I like Quentin Tarantino’s work very much; a he is a student of film because it’s a game to find what he is using from other movies. But why does he need to release this in a 70mm road show, ego? From the trailer I saw, the film looks a talky Claus phobic mood piece, set during a blizzard. With ticket prices being as they are, the general public isn’t clamoring for this. And now he has law enforcement who will protest the film when it comes out. Maybe it’s me, but this film vs. digital is a non argument, personally I love digital, and I believe Tarantino was taking about shooting on digital, on that I agree with him, because it preserves film, but what passes for cinema today, very little of it needs to preserved. I liked Django Unchained, but they made movies like this over 40 years ago. Why is TV breaking new ground and motion pictures are failing? He through out a digital projector, eh, I don’t believe it, the prints must be awful then. I went to see “The Master” in 70mm; it looked beautiful, like a 4k blu ray. For all of Ta(rant)ino’s pontificating, it’s still called show business, and not too many exhibitors are going for the expense of putting in this old equipment just for his movie.

alps commented about Boyd Theatre on Oct 27, 2015 at 6:40 pm

The iconic Sam Eric 4 marquee came down this week. The week of the 24th Philadelphia Film Festival, future generations will ask, why would we tear down the last Philadelphia movie palace? When in the suburbs their classic theaters have survived and are seeing new life. It isn’t enough that the exterior to the Boyd will be restored, because it will always be a reminder of what could have been, mocking us for our indifference. I visited many places in the Boyd / Sam Eric in my lifetime, from the Garden of Eden, from the Bible: In the Beginning (1966), the first movie I saw there in June of 1967, to Hogwarts from Harry Potter and the Sorcer’s Stone (2001), the last movie I saw in the big auditorium. People lined up on Chestnut Street, a little while ago for the opening of Five Below, a discount store in the vain of Spencer’s Gifts, not knowing that 100 years ago, the opening of the Arcadia Theater was in the same place, all that’s left is a portion of the beautiful plaster work on the ceiling, which mocked me while I was looking at the 5.00 DVD’s they had on sale. Then it hit me, I was born in Philadelphia, a place that makes Gotham City look like a utopia. At the film festival, I viewed a wonderful documentary called King Georges, about Chef Georges Perrier and his restaurant Le Bec-Fin, it was changing times and the way people approached eating that did his restaurant in, because people still like good food, but felt his restaurant was too stuffy and old fashioned. I like to think that’s what did the Boyd in, today people watch movies everywhere but in a theater given what today’s box office looks like, only springing the big bucks for a Star Wars or Hunger Games. Philadelphia is a very political town; this theater could have saved, if it wasn’t for the fact that touring Broadway shows are mounted at the Academy of Music, a concert hall, not a theater. Indiana Jones said it best in Raiders of the Lost Ark, which sneaked previewed at the Sam Eric on June 5th 1981, “Fools, bureaucratic fools! They don’t know what they got there.”

alps commented about IMAX Theatre at Tropicana on Oct 25, 2015 at 1:28 pm

I love this theater recently went up a dollar, but that’s fine. Staff is very friendly and the theater is clean. My Imax destination.

alps commented about City Cinemas Cinema 1, 2, and 3 on Jul 20, 2015 at 7:03 pm

This is the first time I visited Cinema 1, 2, 3, since it got the new seating. I won’t balk about the price since I only attend this theater once a year, only to see Woody Allen’s new releases. The new seats are awesome as is the Coca Cola freestyle fountain. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The price of movies have gone up to ridicules amounts across the board, to see Irrational Man it cost $18.50 for a reserved ticket, $13.07 for popcorn and a soda, this is a lot for the experience. I live in South Jersey, outside of Philadelphia, when I see Irrational Man again, I see all new Woody Allen releases twice, I will pay, $5.75 for the ticket and $9.50 for popcorn and soda, see the difference? This is why movie theaters will continue to struggle, and streaming will be the norm. Woody Allen has an aging audience, I am 57, been into the Woodman since the 70’s, I believe I was the youngest person there.

alps
alps commented about Studio Movie Grill at 69th Street on Jun 3, 2015 at 5:49 pm

My advice to the new management, security, security, security! I am not being cynical but if you let a patronage of individuals, whom you cannot reason with, destroy this theater as they did with the UA and the UA Cheltenham. The Cinemark on 40th St, has a curfew to keep little hellions out of the theater after 9:00 PM.

alps commented about Boyd Theatre on May 23, 2015 at 12:14 pm

With the certain election of Jim Kenny as mayor, whose in the pocket of the powerful electricians union, expect more of the same? Center City lately has seen an increase in foot traffic, at least the Boyd could have been an IMAX theater there are none in Philadelphia at all, and I’m not counting the Franklin Institute. I would like to see the Met restored to its glory as a concert hall since that section of North Philadelphia is now seeing a renaissance.

alps commented about Boyd Theatre on Mar 15, 2015 at 2:02 pm

It was distressing news about the Boyd / Sam Eric being demolished. But I knew that this was going to happen anyway, when I saw the chain link fence on Samson Street, it became real. Center City Philadelphia is on the move, my mind is frozen on the Summer of 1981, “Raiders of the Lost Ark” in 70mm, was playing on the then single Sam Eric screen, after a quick rain shower, when the cool summer air has a sweet smell to it, stopping on Chestnut Street at Hillary’s ice cream parlor for a chocolate chip in a sugar cone. Philadelphia is a political town; why else do all the touring Broadway shows always are performed at the Academy of Music, which is not a theater for plays.

The Boyd was too far from the Avenue of the Arts, Center City, doesn’t want a concert hall on 19th and Chestnut, or a movie theater for that matter. Now there is only one downtown movie house left over from the movie palace era, the CVS drugstore. The Price Theater, the former Kalton/Midtown, was retail before being converted into a theater. To be honest it iPic’s dinner idea went into effect, I properly would not have patronized anyway, people in movie theaters today are annoying enough without ordering a meal when I’m trying to watch a film. Maybe the movie theater era is over; the experience is not worth the aggravation factor at times. Philadelphia still has Hoffman and Henon designed theater left on Broad Street, the Uptown is one, and the neighborhood the Met is in is now being gentrified, there is hope.

alps commented about Sansom Cinema on Dec 21, 2014 at 6:50 pm

There is now only one Adult Theater in downtown Philadelphia, The Adonis Theater on Samson Street. I believe the Samson’s Atlantic City cousin, is still open.

alps commented about Sansom Cinema on Dec 8, 2014 at 3:34 pm

Sansom Cinema is now closed, the end of an era.

alps commented about Sansom Cinema on May 18, 2014 at 10:10 am

Not exactly zero, there is the amazing Tropicana IMAX theater. Top notch staff and great movies.

alps commented about Ritz 5 Theatres on Apr 27, 2014 at 6:39 pm

Right, Budco never owned the Theater, but Variety used to say, in the 70’s, that Milgram Theaters were the owners when they would report grosses, much to the surprize of Mr. Posal. “Budco like” means that, the theater was twinned by building a wall in the center, and not adjusting the seats, which after nearly 30 years, remain on a slant. I try to avoid films there unless they play in the bigger theater.