Showing 3 comments
The Morgan, Auburn’s oldest movie house became the Cayuga in 1921 then Universal (it’s owners moved from 133 Genesee ST)in 1922, then the Palace in 1927. Actually the Palace ran well into the 1960’s and was demolished to make way for Auburn’s Urban Renewal Project. The spot is now part of Wegman’s Super Market.
The actual “Grand Theater” or what they called the Opera House Block was auctioned off on September 25, 1918 including other properties owned including the Cornell Motion Picture Theater on Green Street and the Burtis Estate home on West Genesee Street. The Capital Theater was the only ‘non-Schine’ theater during its heyday after 1938. They (Schine) owned the Jefferson on State St, the Palace on Genesee St and the Auburn on South St at the time in Auburn. The Capital exhibited ‘lesser-fare’ content mostly because the Schine Company wouldn’t allow Mr. Wallace who owned the Capital anything else.
Stop by our website for details on the Auburn Schine Theater at http://www.cayugacountyartscouncil.com/auburn_schines.