Comments from bazookadave

bazookadave commented about RKO Keith's Theatre on Jun 4, 2015 at 9:47 am

Thanks, StevenJ! I’ll give it a try next photo post.

bazookadave commented about RKO Keith's Theatre on Jun 3, 2015 at 11:48 am

Any advice on how to post live links is appreciated. I just don’t know why it no longer happens, no matter which link I copy from photobucket.

bazookadave commented about RKO Keith's Theatre on Jun 3, 2015 at 11:43 am

Sorry I have no idea how to do live links here. They used to just appear live, no matter how I posted them, then a few years back they started posting only as text that had to be cut and pasted. Try:

[URL=http://s21.photobucket.com/user/davebazooka/media/RKOgrandFoyer2014_zpsijl4oh4f.jpg.html][IMG]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b254/davebazooka/RKOgrandFoyer2014_zpsijl4oh4f.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s21.photobucket.com/user/davebazooka/media/RKOticketlobby_zpsp5dyjowo.jpg.html][IMG]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b254/davebazooka/RKOticketlobby_zpsp5dyjowo.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

bazookadave commented about RKO Keith's Theatre on Jun 3, 2015 at 10:04 am

I found these two photos of the RKO foyer and lobby online, they seem to be from slightly different angles than others I’ve seen. Part of the sky dome above the foyer appears to have collapsed:

bazookadave commented about RKO Keith's Theatre on Apr 24, 2015 at 8:40 pm

Good lord I can’t believe I have not visited this site in over three years. Glad to see the comments and debates are still going on, and also glad to see Ed Solero and others still here! I have been exiled to red state hell and it sucks the big watoozi. I am going to check back here more regularly to still get the feeling I am living in my NYC hometown. Dang…I never got into the Keith’s to photograph! My loss.

bazookadave commented about Juliet I & II on Nov 1, 2013 at 9:28 pm

John J. McNamara also designed the Beekman! Wow I did not know he also designed the Juliets, which was much smaller and less memorable. In fact I thought it was built into a pre-existing structure on site.

bazookadave commented about RKO 86th Street Theatre on Nov 6, 2012 at 6:15 am

Here is a picture of the Gimbels East department store in 1971. This is the bland modern building that replaced the original RKO 86th movie palace, which was completely demolished in 1968/1969. The marquee lower left is the new smaller RKO theater that was supposed to make up for the loss of the original RKO on the site.

After Gimbels closed it stores, this East 86th location was stripped down to its steel skeleton and renovated as the current luxury apartment house. The theater became the Duane Reade that is there today. The marquee was finally removed in 2011.

bazookadave
bazookadave commented about Park & 86th Street Cinemas on Aug 6, 2012 at 7:21 am

The marquee is now gone. No sign anywhere that there were once theaters on this site. Very sad.

bazookadave commented about RKO 86th Street Theatre on Aug 5, 2012 at 6:41 am

It wasn’t this theater. You may be remembering the small RKO replacement theater that is now Duane Reade. The original building at this site housing the RKO 86th Street was completely demolished in the late 1960s, then replaced by Gimbels East, which included a small RKO theater meant to replace the lost movie palace.

bazookadave commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on May 14, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Just passed the Ziegfeld this morning and found the marquee empty and no posters up. I hope the theater is not closed. Can find no current showtimes for it at the Clearview site.

bazookadave commented about RKO Keith's Theatre on Jan 18, 2012 at 9:30 am

SWC please continue posting photos. The close-ups of the decorative elements are important. Maybe some day building theatres like this will become popular again and these photos will give designers in the future a guideline to re-creating the palaces. Anything is possible. Can you get me in there?? :)

bazookadave commented about RKO 86th Street Theatre on Jul 27, 2011 at 11:54 am

Stripped down to its steel frame, It appears that the old marquee now used for Duane Reade is being renovated or demolished. This marquee was for the smaller RKO movie house that was built into the Gimbels East Ibuilding that replaced the original RKO 86th. If I recall correctly, this smaller theater was supposed to make up for the loss of the palace.

bazookadave commented about RKO Keith's Theatre on Apr 22, 2011 at 7:50 am

I fear no rodents but I am terrified of huge ugly juicy flying cockroaches.

bazookadave commented about RKO Keith's Theatre on Apr 21, 2011 at 11:26 am

Matt, if i go to the theater with a camera can I just walk in or is there a secret side entrance?

bazookadave commented about RKO Keith's Theatre on Mar 9, 2011 at 5:27 am

bazookadave commented about RKO Keith's Theatre on Mar 7, 2011 at 10:38 am

LOL Dang ya got me! :)

bazookadave commented about RKO Keith's Theatre on Mar 7, 2011 at 9:55 am

I would hope the dentist would have originally included a plaque with information about the fountain and its glorious origins, but since it might involve a criminal offense, any such plaque, if it ever existed, would no doubt have been removed by now!

bazookadave commented about RKO Keith's Theatre on Mar 6, 2011 at 5:44 pm

I think the missing fountain referred to as being in a dentist’s office is not the large one from the center of the foyer which disappeared during the triplexing, but one of the smaller fountains from the wall, on the west side of the faux facade. A few posts back I pointed out the blank spot on the wall where a fountain was removed. Its colorful counterpart is still there, pictured in that Tribune link. Or it was still there recently.

bazookadave commented about RKO Keith's Theatre on Mar 5, 2011 at 8:09 am

Welcome back, Ed!

bazookadave commented about RKO Keith's Theatre on Feb 13, 2011 at 9:39 am

Can you get back into the theater with some of us who want to take some pictures of the interior? Could we get as far as the foyer and lobby without getting busted?

bazookadave commented about RKO Keith's Theatre on Jan 28, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Here is an enlargement of the picture of the stairs:

bazookadave commented about RKO Keith's Theatre on Jan 28, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Some of those pictures of the lobby above are from this web site:

bazookadave commented about RKO Keith's Theatre on Jan 28, 2011 at 3:41 pm

I too have considered writing to the new developers to request explanations. It seems like the old Boymelgreen plan is being regurgitated as a smokescreen or to buy time until the real plans are revealed. I do recall Boymelgreen’s web site a couple of years ago showed a dummied-up image of people walking through the ticket lobby with the gallery above it…the walls were shown as blue with the poster containers still mounted on them…which would indicate the lobby would still be there. Now I cannot find that page, and am looking to see if I saved the images. I STILL would love to get into that foyer for photos. It is soooo frustrating!

bazookadave commented about Tiffin Theatre on Jan 28, 2011 at 3:35 pm

The jobs were shipped overseas by the rich…yet Americans continue to vote them into office, mainly because they promise to hate the gays and save the guns and impose theocracy.

bazookadave commented about RKO Keith's Theatre on Jan 28, 2011 at 2:53 am

Plus the article is still vague about the issue of exactly how the foyer will be visible through the glass without removing half the landmarked space. They should provide a new floor plan or a detailed rendering of what the lobby will look like to an observer standing directly in front of the building, not from blocks away down Main Street. I would bet they still do not know what they are talking about.