Comments from bigjoe59

bigjoe59 commented about Uptown Theater on Aug 28, 2015 at 5:54 pm

Hello Again from NYC-

I thank richmurphy for his reply. as stated though Circus World isn’t Oscar material I found it a corny, hokey colorful entertaining film. i just can’t see any roadshow film presented “in Cinerama” starring John Wayne lasting only 3 weeks. a question for you. as i said in my original post i suppose CW suffered from the fact it wasn’t another El Cid. but if that’s the case than why did the film last as long as 13, 15 or 20 weeks in its roadshow run in other cities.

bigjoe59 commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Aug 25, 2015 at 5:22 pm

Hello-

mhvbear’s comment made me think of something interesting. the Coronet was for many years the Ziegfeld of San Francisco. well known for its projection and sound it premiered many of the most anticipated action/sci-fic/fantasy films of the past several years. which brings to my point. though it was meeting its weekly “nut” to use the old show biz term the land the theater was on was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy more valuable than any $$$ the theater could possibly bring in. so a few back the theater was torn down and a medical facility now occupies the site.

bigjoe59 commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Aug 10, 2015 at 5:00 pm

Hello Again From NYC-

I want to thank macoco again for the reply to my post. in your reply you may have hit on something that explains Coate’s comment. I and anyone in NYC during the period mentioned in your original reply would have classified a “neighborhood house” as a theater within walking distance of your home in the Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn or Staten Island that played a film after it had exhausted its 1st run bookings in Manhattan. as you stated I am equating “neighborhood house” with 2nd or 3rd run. I know I’m being picky but the term “neighborhood house” should be reserved for only those theaters in the time period you mentioned that played films 2nd or 3rd run. in Coate’s way to liberal interpretation of the term the Loew’s Capitol could have been classified as the “neighborhood house” for Hell’s Kitchen.

bigjoe59 commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Aug 9, 2015 at 7:59 pm

Hello Again From NYC-

i want to thank macoco for the detailed look at movie distribution in the 40s, 50s and 60s in L.A.. but as enjoyable as it was to read it still doesn’t explain why Coate referred to the Chinese as a “neighborhood house”. in NYC a “neighborhood” house in the same time period was a theater in the Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn or Staten Island that played a film AFTER its 1st run engagements in Manhattan. in other words wherever else a movie might have been playing its engagement at the Chinese was its 1s run engagement which disqualifies the Chinese from being a “neighborhood house”.

bigjoe59 commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Aug 7, 2015 at 5:16 pm

Hello Again From NYC-

back in May Coate referred to the Chinese as a neighborhood house for much of its early life. now i have been perplexed for the past 3 months as to what Coate meant. as far as i have read the Chinese has been a 1st run venue since day 1. so my question for L.A. residents- what does Coate mean?

bigjoe59 commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Aug 6, 2015 at 6:09 pm

Hello-

if I understand the problem so to speak its that no matter how beloved the Ziegfeld is and no matter how well received a film might be said film is probably at 10-12 other theaters in Manhattan so naturally people will got to the theater closest to them. therefore the Ziegfeld has had a problem for a while meeting its weekly nut to use the old show biz term.

my new thought is this- even if this theater was able to meet its weekly nut on a regular basis would that actually be enough? I can’t tell you the number stores I have been shopping in all my life that closed not because they weren’t paying the rent as it were but because the land or building was worth wayyyyyyyyyyy more the store could ever bring in. to which with the value of Manhattan real estate I am surprised as I am delighted that the Ziegfeld has lasted this long. it and the Paris are the only 1st run single screen theaters left in Manhattan.

bigjoe59 commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Aug 4, 2015 at 6:13 pm

Hello Again-

I hope markp’s comment is true. considering its beloved place in NYC moviegoing I can’t see this theater being torn down or repurposed. so again I wish posters would stop continuing to mention the theater’s eminent demise unless they have rock solid proof not some vague rumor.

bigjoe59 commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Aug 4, 2015 at 4:58 pm

Hello Again-

as did xbs2034 I found the projection and audio first rate. I have friends who have never been here and highly recommend they visit it.

now every so often a poster on this page mentions the Ziegfeld’s “eminent closing”. unless a poster has rock solid reliable uncontestable info as to this theater’s “eminent closing” please don’t get fans of this theater worried about the theater’s demise with just vague oft repeated rumors.

bigjoe59 commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Aug 3, 2015 at 5:11 pm

Hello-

I went to the first screening of Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation which was 10:45 a.m. yesterday Sun. 8/2. and I agree with Howard H. that the projection and sound were A+. but I was saddene to see that at most there were 25? people in the audience. there were a lot more people buying tickets for the next showing.

also what is all this talk about the eminent closing of this theater? I read all three NYC papers and lots on the web but have not come across anything that recent. are there links to these rather recent articles about the alleged eminent closing of the Ziegfeld?

bigjoe59 commented about Pilgrim Theatre on Jul 31, 2015 at 4:17 pm

Hello To Ed S.–

you have been most helpful in the past so i hope you can be this time as well. I have lived in this neighborhood my entire life and even as a child never remember the Pilgrim being opened as a movie theater. the intro at top gives no clue as to the date it ceased functioning as a movie theater. do you know?

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 commented about City Cinemas Cinema 1, 2, and 3 on Jul 21, 2015 at 5:33 pm

Hello-

I have been going to the Cinema I for more years than I care to admit. it is my personal opinion that the rather high price for the reserved seating is a further rip off of moviegoers. the Chelsea Multiplex on 8th Ave. and 23rd St. has reserved seating and the same seats as this theater yet they don’t charge more for the reserved seating. further proof the HIGH price at this theater is a big rip off.

bigjoe59 commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Jun 22, 2015 at 9:48 pm

Hello-

the main reason for the Ziegfeld’s often mentioned possible closing is its unprofitable status. but I find something even more fascinating. even if it was fairly profitable and met its weekly nut I am sure the land underneath it is wayyyyyyy more valuable than any $$$ the theater could possibly bring in. so I am surprised it hasn’t been sold for that very reason.

bigjoe59 commented about Uptown Theater on Jun 21, 2015 at 8:23 pm

Hello From NYC-

i thank Coate for posting a while back a list of Circus World’s roadshow runs across the U.S. i questioned the D.C listing for the Uptown of only 3 weeks. Coate figured it might be because word had gotten out that the film while enjoyable wasn’t another El Cid. but the film opened in other big city runs after D.C yet had decent runs cancelling out Coate’s theory about word of mouth. my point being the Uptown run of 3 weeks the shortest on the list has got to be a mistake.

bigjoe59 commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Jun 21, 2015 at 5:55 pm

Hello-

when was the last report either online or in newspapers that this theater could actually close at anytime?

bigjoe59 commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Jun 8, 2015 at 8:22 pm

Hello-

to Escott N. thanks for your thoughts on the subject. but I am still a bit perplexed as to why Coate referred to the Chinese as a “neighborhood house in its early years”. to New Yorkers a neighborhood house is a 2nd/3rd run theater in the Bronx,Queens,Brooklyn or Staten Island that would play a film after its had exhausted its 1st run engagements in Manhattan.

bigjoe59 commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on Jun 8, 2015 at 6:42 pm

Hello From NYC-

does anyone know what Coate means by “the Chinese was a neighborhood house too for much of its early life”. any help would be appreciated. when was the Chinese ever not a 1st run venue?

bigjoe59 commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on May 31, 2015 at 4:55 pm

Hello Again From NYC-

thanks to my fellow posters for their replies about the Chinese’s history. a number of grand old movies theaters built during the prime 1914-1941 period are alive and well. for instance the Castro Theater in San Francisco. the theater opened the last week of Sept. 1922 and has been in continual operation ever since but it was built from the get go as a 2nd/3rd run neighborhood theater. so apparently of all the grand old theaters built in prime period noted above that were built from the get
go as 1st run venues the Chinese is the only one that has continued to operate as such since the day it opened.

bigjoe59 commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on May 25, 2015 at 3:45 pm

Hello-

I am a bit confused. I always thought the Chinese was built as a 1st run venue from the get go. after all it held the premiere of Demille’s “The King of Kings” May 18, 1927. so what does Coate mean by referring to the Chinese as a neighborhood theater during its early years? granted Hollywood is a neighborhood to the people who live there but that does not make the Chinese a “neighborhood” theater in the accepted sense of the term.

bigjoe59 commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on May 24, 2015 at 4:59 pm

Hello Again From NYC-

I thank Coate for his input on the subject. so it seems that when the Village and Bruin first opened like the Uptown in D.C. they were essentially neighborhood theaters and only became “1st run” venues decades later. so it seems that the Chinese is the only grand old movie theater built in the 1914-1941 heyday that was a 1st run venue from the get go and has continued to operate as such since the day it opened.

bigjoe59 commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on May 24, 2015 at 4:58 pm

Hello Again From NYC-

bigjoe59 commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on May 24, 2015 at 2:02 pm

Hello Again from NYC-

I thank Cliffs for the info on the Village and Bruin in Westwood. to which I have another question. if I understand your comment correctly the Village and the Bruin which opened in 1931 and 1937 were built from the get go as 1st run venues and have operated as such since the day they opened? the reason I ask is simple. I thought the Uptown in D.C. which is a 1st rum venue and been one since it opened in 1936. but it opened as 2nd/3rd run neighborhood theater and only reinvented itself as a 1st run venue with the dawn of the modern roadshow era in Oct. of 1955 with Oklahoma.

bigjoe59 commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on May 21, 2015 at 6:29 pm

Hello to Cliffs-

thanks for your informative reply. another question I hope you can help me with. I discovered this wonderful website the last week of January 2012. after browsing it briefly I created a project for myself. the Golden Age of building grand old movie theaters was approx. 1914 thru 1941. this is what I set out to look for. how many such theaters that were built from the get go as 1st run venues have continued to operate as such. so far the only theater i have found that was built during this period as a 1st run venue and has continued to operate as such since the day it opened is the Chinese. is that possible?

bigjoe59 commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on May 19, 2015 at 3:39 pm

Hello Again From NYC-

thanks to Danny B. for your reply. the reason I asked if the attendance had picked up all that much after the IMAX redo is simple. in Nov. of 2013 two months after the conversion was unveiled Catching Fire opened. now as you know CF is tied with Iron Man 3 as the highest grossing film of 2013. but a regular at the Chinese went to see CF with two friends the Sun. after the film opened. he stated on this page that it was an afternoon showing and was shocked the theater was at the absolute most 10% full.

bigjoe59 commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on May 19, 2015 at 3:39 pm

Hello Again From NYC-

bigjoe59 commented about TCL Chinese Theatre on May 18, 2015 at 6:15 pm

Hello Again From NYC-

I thank Escort N. his reply. if I am not mistaken The Avengers: Age of Ultron had the 2nd biggest opening weekend in history. now I wanted to see it at the IMAX theater in the Loews Lincoln Square complex but the first show of the day was way to early. so I saw the first showing of the day at the Loews which is the main and largest of the complex’s 12? auditoriums. now has I stated the film had the 2nd biggest weekend opening in history yet for that 1st showing on Sat. May 2 the Loews was virtually empty. I found that highly surprising.