Comments from bigjoe59

bigjoe59 commented about Rivoli Theatre on Aug 18, 2016 at 1:02 pm

Hello-

many years ago I attended the opening day performance of A Bridge To Far. as an added treat Joseph E. Levine was outside the Rivoli in a comfy chair greeting people as they bought tickets.

bigjoe59 commented about Valentine Theatre on Aug 15, 2016 at 3:16 pm

Hello-

after they finished their 1st run engagements in Manhattan 20th Century Fox’s big films always played the Valentine. this is where i saw Cleopatra.

bigjoe59 commented about Interboro Theatre on Aug 15, 2016 at 2:57 pm

Hello-

i have lived in the neighborhood that the Interboro serviced my entire life and the reason it closed is simple. although the theater did good business UA which was running it at the time of its closure had no desire to to spend the $$$ to upgrade it.

bigjoe59 commented about Circle Theatre on Aug 15, 2016 at 2:43 pm

Hello-

I have been a Bronx resident my entire life and frequently went to the Circle. to which i never remember it ever showing “adult” films. can anyone provide a newspaper listing or photo to back up this claim?

bigjoe59 commented about Bronx Aerodome on Aug 15, 2016 at 2:37 pm

Hello-

as a devotee of movie theater history i find it fascinating that i can find no reference that this theater ever existed other than its mention on this page.

bigjoe59 commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Aug 14, 2016 at 3:55 pm

Hello-

i was a frequent patron at this theater starting with its debut film “Marooned”. to which in reference to Mikeoaklandpark’s post of 5/1116. from the very beginning this theater often closed for a week or two if no suitable film was available for a 1st run engagement but i never remember this theater ever showing films second run in the sense that they had exhausted their original engagement at other theaters.

bigjoe59 commented about Loews Festival Theatre on Aug 14, 2016 at 3:14 pm

Hello-

i went to the Festival many times during its reign as one of Manhattan’s leading art houses. this is especially true since many of its engagements were exclusive runs but there was one thing about the theater i didn’t like. in virtually all theaters when you enter the auditorium from the back the floor is flat as you walk toward the screen or in other instances actually declines as you walk toward the screen. but in the Festival the floor actually inclined as you walked toward the screen. it was rather uncomfortable if you got stuck with a seat in the first row.

bigjoe59 commented about Alpine Theatre on Aug 12, 2016 at 1:56 pm

Hello-

is this theater the oldest continually in operation movie theater in New York City?

bigjoe59 commented about Plaza Theatre on Jul 25, 2016 at 2:28 pm

Hello-

I still say if you knew the address the Plaza wasn’t “hard to find” per se but you bring up an interesting point. considering the Plaza and Paris had similar names and were close by I can see people forgetting which theater a film was playing at if they hadn’t written it down.

its kind of like the late but great Ziegfeld. once it’s closing was verified a number of people posted that part of the problem was it was out of the way, or off the beaten path etc….. but when the Ziegfeld was still used by the studios for exclusive runs of their big releases people had no trouble finding it then so why should they have had trouble finding it now.

speaking of which. I recently posted a question for the late Crystal Hall on 14 St. if anyone knows the answer I bet you do. thanks in advance.

bigjoe59 commented about Plaza Theatre on Jul 24, 2016 at 1:55 pm

Hello-

I still say the description of the theater as “hard to find” is unwarranted. many of the films I saw there under the address said “between Madison and Park Aves.” I mean even a blind person could have found it.

bigjoe59 commented about Plaza Theatre on Jul 19, 2016 at 2:58 pm

Hello-

I frequently attended this theater. it often held the exclusive Manhattan engagements of many top American films and foreign films. it was not hard to find. i don’t know why the intro at top states so.

bigjoe59 commented about RKO 86th Street Theatre on Jul 18, 2016 at 12:46 pm

Hello-

looking at pics of the original movie palace I noticed an incorrect caption. one of the 2 pics posted by Al A. on April 13, 2009 gives a date of June 1965. now the marquee is advertising My Fair Lady. the film opened at the Criterion the fall of 1964 and i doubt its roadshow engagement had ended yet.

bigjoe59 commented about Crystal Hall on Jul 17, 2016 at 1:16 pm

Hello-

in the above intro it never states point blank that the building(s)which housed this theater were demolished. so does that mean that remnants of the Crystal Hall might exist within the Whole Foods and DSW stores?

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Hollywood on Jul 15, 2016 at 2:41 pm

to Peter A.–

thanks for the info. it was normal to tweak a
longer roadshow film when it went to neighborhood
theaters but to tweak it while it was still in
its roadshow engagement seems bizarre, doesn’t it?
they still only had two shows a day.

another question you might be able to answer. in the mid to late 90s when VHS was till the dominant home video format MGM/UA Home Video created a vhs series MGM/UA Screen Epics. it was composed of all the big roadshow films from both companies. the slip case for the vhs tapes were redesigned and a prominent series logo was atop each cover. this is where my question comes in. if i am not mistaken the cut of IAMMMMW used for this series was the original roadshow cut. so couldn’t they use whatever element they used for the vhs series for a blu-ray disc?

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Hollywood on Jul 12, 2016 at 12:55 pm

Hello-

i was rather disappointed by the recent Criterion Collection blu-ray disc of the restored roadshow cut of Its A Mad Mad Mad Mad World. while it may have been the full roadshow cut the various elements used were far from in prime shape. which is where my question comes in.

it is my understanding that like its NYC engagement
at the Warner Cinerama IAMMMMW was tweaked while it was still in its roadshow run at the Dome. in other
words if you saw the film at the beginning of its
roadshow run it was a slightly different cut than
if you saw it at the end. so for how long was the
original 3hr. 12min. cut used at the Dome?

bigjoe59 commented about Cinepolis Chelsea Cinemas on Jul 8, 2016 at 1:42 pm

Hello-

i saw Me Before You here a few weeks ago. i’m assuming the deal was already in the works at the time. the question i have is simple- with all the $$$ Bow Tie put into renovating the theater and updating the projection and sound in the auditoriums why would they sell?

bigjoe59 commented about Astor Theatre on May 24, 2016 at 3:29 pm

Hello to Ed S.–

you have been most helpful in the past so i am a new question. in the intro at top it states that the Astor closed down as a movie theater due to “maintenance problems”. what exactly were said problems?

bigjoe59 commented about Strand Theatre on Apr 26, 2016 at 1:10 pm

Hello-

The Greatest Story Ever Told began its reserved seat run at this theater on Feb. 15, 1965. said engagement ran 42 weeks if I am not mistaken. to which my question- was the original 3hr. 45min. cut of the film ever used during said 42 week run? or was it only used for trade/press screenings and on opening night?

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Mar 7, 2016 at 3:49 pm

Hello-

this past weekend I saw Zootopia in IMAX-3D which I thoroughly enjoyed. to which a question. the only movie I have seen in this theater whether just IMAX
or IMAZ-3D that filled the entire screen was Fantasia 2000 released in Feb. of that year. the section of the screen taken up by Zootopia seemed using my eye as a no bigger than the screen of the Loew’s auditorium downstairs. in other words I don’t see the point of showing a film in this auditorium unless it fills the entire screen.

bigjoe59 commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Mar 1, 2016 at 3:06 pm

to Mike-

for the first several years the Ziegfeld did have 1st runs that were paired with a UA theater on Long Island and a UA theater in New Jersey. this is how Earthquake was exhibited. granted this wasn’t an exclusive run for the NYC area but it was an exclusive for Manhattan. on the other hand I do remember a few that were exclusive for the entire NYC area. so which ever type it was what the last exclusive run of a big studio film at the Ziegfeld?

bigjoe59 commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Mar 1, 2016 at 1:40 pm

Hello-

I should have been more precise in my question. when I asked what was the last time the studios used the Ziegfeld for an exclusive 1st run Manhattan engagement I should have said those special one or two week runs of say Dreamgirls, The Princess and the Frog and Nine before they opened wide don’t count. I mean a regular open ended run.

bigjoe59 commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Feb 26, 2016 at 2:53 pm

Hello to All- as much as I try not to think about it makes me sad whenever I think of the fact that the last single screen movie palace in Manhattan as closed. the interesting point being that the 1st movie palace built in Manhattan the Regent at 116 St. and Lenox Ave. is still with us. though its been a church for 46? years I hear they’ve kept the interior at least in darn good shape.

which got me thinking. after their debut at Koster and Bial’s Music Hall in April of 1896 movies took off like wildfire. now no movie theaters existed so for the first few years of the biz whatever picture houses existed in Manhattan were music halls, vaudeville or even legitimate theaters that were converted to show movies. but what was the very 1st theater built brick by brick from the ground up with the intent of being a picture house to use the old term.

bigjoe59 commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Feb 12, 2016 at 2:01 pm

to Howard B. –

you are quite knowledgeable so I have a question
that I can’t remember the answer to. what was the
last “big” studio film to have an exclusive
Manhattan engagement at the Ziegfeld?

bigjoe59 commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Feb 9, 2016 at 3:18 pm

Hello-

to Al A.– I don’t subscribe to the N Y Times so does registering for their website cost $$$? I try not to let my friend stump me but I don’t see spending $$$ to get the answer.

to Bill H.– seeing Ryan’s Daughter at the Ziegfeld was a true movie going experience. most especially during the storm sequence when the villagers are trying to bring the guns ashore.

also seeing The Rose and Close Encounters of the Third Kind in 70mm at this theater was perfect.

I also saw a special screening of Gandhi in 70mm which the late Richard Attenborough attended. I spoke to him after and said he’d better get his Oscar speech for Best Director ready. he thanked me graciously for my thought but said he didn’t want to get his hopes up.

bigjoe59 commented about Ziegfeld Theatre on Feb 8, 2016 at 2:14 pm

to Al A.–

thanks for the info. I saw Ryan’s Daughter twice possibly three times during its run at this theater. I’m surprised they never sold a souvenir program.

you have helped me in the past with questions I have posted so I hope you can do so again. I have a friend who e-mails questions to se how good my Internet searching skills are but I am stumped on this one. he asked me what movie was shown on all NYC t.v. stations on January 22, 1950. do you have any idea where I can find this info? thanks in advance.