Comments from bigjoe59

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Nov 16, 2017 at 1:38 pm

Hello-

since i’m guessing it will play here does anyone know what’s distinctive/different about the remastered Titanic that will be released the first week of Dec.?

bigjoe59 commented about Cinema Village on Nov 12, 2017 at 1:40 pm

Hello-

what thehorror13’s post fails to mention is the uncomfortably small size of the men’s room. i am surprised they didn’t expand it during the 2000 tri-plexing. i can’t believe it meets the NYC Building Code standards.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Oct 31, 2017 at 12:11 pm

hELLO-

I thank markp for his reply. I thought at the least there was 1 person maintaining all the digital equipment for an entire multiplex. if there’s no “projectionist at all what if something goes wrong?

also I would appreciate an answer to my central question about projection being too frigging dark. when I saw Wonderstruck I could not read what the kids were writing on the pads.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Oct 30, 2017 at 1:47 pm

Hello-

this is a question about projection that I have noticed lately. is it possible the projectionist doesn’t use the right lite on the projector? this is a problem I have noticed at virtually all theaters. case in point. this past weekend I saw Wonderstruck and I thought a few scenes were wayyyyy to dark. for instance the scene with the two boys in the 1977 section communicating by notepad while crouching in a corner of the Museum of Natural History. I could hardly see what was written on the pad.

bigjoe59 commented about Palace Theatre on Oct 26, 2017 at 12:06 pm

Hello-

to lazydave- why can’t they simply renovate the Palace to its original condition as is? otherwise I have this picture in my head of the theater collapsing onto 7th Avenue.

bigjoe59 commented about Roxy Theatre on Oct 23, 2017 at 3:25 pm

Hello-

I thank Simon S. for his reply. but it prompts another question. exactly how was an A movie differentiated from a B movie? for instance I had never heard of “The Wind Can Not Read” until I went thru the photo pages for this theater. so since I had never heard of it I assumed it was B movie.

bigjoe59 commented about Roxy Theatre on Oct 23, 2017 at 1:59 pm

Hello-

the often pined for Golden Age of Hollywood lasted from the beginning of the sound era to approx. the early 60s which is where my question comes in. it is my impression that during this roughly 34 year period Hollywood operated very much on the A movie and B movie production levels. so for someone who has a detailed knowledge of the Roxy’s bookings would you say the theater played as many B movies as A movies?

bigjoe59 commented about Roxy Theatre on Oct 22, 2017 at 12:18 pm

Hello-

to Comfortably Cool. the ad for the premiere opening of AAE was neat. did I misunderstand the ‘ ad? I got the impression from the info in the lower left hand that it was a reserved performance engagement.

bigjoe59 commented about Paris Theatre on Oct 20, 2017 at 1:45 pm

Hello-

i went to see Victoria and Abdul the day after it opened which I enjoyed a great deal but. i find the new reserve seating policy annoying. when i got on line it went from the box office to the corner of the Bergdorf Goodman building. because there’s only one ticket seller and you have to pick a seat from the little screen it took forever to get from the corner of the BG building to the box office. if the theater was looking for a way to raise prices just do so. the reserved seat policy is a waste of time.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Oct 4, 2017 at 1:14 pm

Hello-

I’m hedging the bet that Blade Runner 2049 will play both the Imax auditorium and the Loews downstairs. now on any of the online ticket services how can I tell which showing is in the Loews auditorium?

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Hollywood on Sep 24, 2017 at 12:52 pm

Hello From NYC-

with every new post on the subject I get more confused. I have always been under the impression that the Dome was built specifically for 70MM single lens version. also how could a 3-Strip print of IAMMMMW exist if it was shot in Ultra Panavision 70 not the 3-Strip process?

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Hollywood on Sep 22, 2017 at 1:15 pm

Hello From NYC-

I am a bit perplexed by silver’s 9/21 comment. when the Archlight chain took over the Dome several years back and renovated the theater I thought it was for the expressed purpose of being able to show 3-Strip films. so after all the time and $$$ involved why would they stop showing 3-Strip films?

bigjoe59 commented about Chicago Theatre on Sep 21, 2017 at 3:52 pm

Hello-

I thank Scott for his reply. in terms of the grand ornate movie theaters build between 1914-1941 the only one which opened from the get go as a 1st run venue and has continued to operate as such is the Chinese in Hollywood. out of all 50 states that’s kind of sad.

bigjoe59 commented about Chicago Theatre on Sep 21, 2017 at 11:49 am

Hello From NYC-

the era of building grand ornate movie theaters was approx. 1914-1941. now many still exist in prime condition. for instance the Castro in San Francisco has been in continual operation since it opened Sept. of 1922 but its was built from the get go as a 2nd/3rd run neighborhood which is where my question comes in. I am looking for grand ornate movie theaters built from the get go as 1st run venues and have continued to operate as such since the day they opened. NYC nor San Francisco have any left. does Chicago?

bigjoe59 commented about YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE on Sep 19, 2017 at 12:34 pm

aside from Windjammer, West Side Story and Hello
Dolly was the Chinese ever used for a reserved seat
engagement?

bigjoe59 commented about Bijou Cinema on Sep 15, 2017 at 2:12 pm

Hello-

i just walked by 100 3rd Ave. last weekend and its now a upscale bar Nevada Smith’s. but i am perplexed by something. the width of the bar is no way near the width of the theater front in the photo at the top of this page. can someone explain this?

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Hollywood on Sep 14, 2017 at 1:28 pm

Hello From NYC-

I was wondering has anyone seen DUNKIRK at the Dome then saw it at another theater? could you please describe the difference.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Sep 11, 2017 at 1:40 pm

Hello-

thanks to Mikeoaklandpark for your reply. I am still baffled by it all. I can’t tell you the number of BIG eagerly awaited films that I have seen where the auditorium I see it in is virtually empty. then when I read on Mon. morning that the film had a huge opening weekend I can’t help but wonder where the $$$ came from.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Sep 11, 2017 at 12:02 pm

Hello-

for people who saw IT at this theater was your particular auditorium any where near full? i saw it at an other AMC/Loews theater and the place was maybe 15 percent full. so how did the film gross $123 mil on the opening weekend?

bigjoe59 commented about Carnegie Hall Cinema on Aug 31, 2017 at 1:48 pm

Hello-

I thank Purplepielord for his link of April 2013. but I still don’t see how the theater in the photo at the top could possibly have been housed in the same building as the bar Neveda Smith’s its current occupant.

bigjoe59 commented about Parkside Theatre on Aug 29, 2017 at 2:42 pm

Hello From NYC-

i’m assuming that when this theater opened it was a 2nd/3rd run neighborhood theater. at what point did it become a 1st run venue?

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Aug 29, 2017 at 11:26 am

Hello-

to Al A., boy the stuff you know and I thought I knew a lot. I wasn’t aware Mark “Shark Tank” Cuban was the owner of the Landmark chain. what you said about affording the same films as the places you stated is certainly a valid point. but is the new multiplex going to be art house fare or a mix with big studio films. one thing I like about the Sunshine is it only plays art house fare.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Aug 28, 2017 at 12:49 pm

Hello-

thanks for the reply. as I see it the success of the new multiplex depends on the people in the immediate are frequenting it. I doubt anyone else will venture to 57St. and 12th Ave. to see a film. its kind of like the 62 St. and 1st Ave. multiplex which opened in 1992? while it was a modern state of the art facility at the time it didn’t help it in succeeding and that was a fairly residential area as well.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Aug 28, 2017 at 12:11 pm

Hello-

to Al A.– i hope you don’t mind me posting a question on this page since the theater in question doesn’t have a page yet. this Sept. Landmark Theaters will open a multiplex on 57Th St. and 12th Ave. who in the name of God is going to go to a theater on 57th St. and 12th Ave.?

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 commented about AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 with IMAX on Aug 25, 2017 at 1:49 pm

Hello-

I wasn’t aware Union Square was the only theater to have it. I was just asking fellow moviegoers who might have experienced it was it was exactly. so I thank AL A. for his frank critique of it.