Comments from bigjoe59

bigjoe59 commented about Astor Theatre on Dec 8, 2019 at 3:15 pm

Hello-

what was the last film to be advertised on the huge
horizontal sign over the Astor and Victoria theaters?

bigjoe59 commented about Paris Theatre on Nov 28, 2019 at 2:53 pm

Hello-

to Howard B. I thank for your reply but I guess we differ on what can deemed a “roadshow film”. for my viewpoint The Hateful 8 doesn’t qualify.

also I read the article on Netflix taking a lease the theater. the one downside is simple- they only show Netflix films. I only joined the site recently but from reading reviews the past year or so of the original films they’ve streamed most have gotten at best mixed reviews. Roma, The Irishman and Marriage Story seem to be rare exceptions. in its 71 years this theater has shown indie American films and foreign language films from the top art house distributors so to limit yourself to one company/distributor doesn’t make sense.

bigjoe59 commented about Paris Theatre on Nov 26, 2019 at 2:48 pm

to Howard B.–

how was The Hateful Eight a roadshow in the traditional sense of the term. did it play exclusively at 1 theater with matinees on Wed. , Sat. and Sun. and evening screenings seven nights a week?

bigjoe59 commented about Belasco Theatre on Nov 25, 2019 at 3:10 pm

Hello-

since Netflix is running the film without an intermission
The Irishman by 1 minute takes the title away from the 1956
film version of War and Peace as the longest major and or
studio film released without an intermission.

bigjoe59 commented about Paris Theatre on Nov 25, 2019 at 2:47 pm

is Netflix showing The Irishman at the Belasco with
an intermission?

bigjoe59 commented about Paris Theatre on Nov 24, 2019 at 2:44 pm

Hello-

I’ve been thinking about this theater being solely a Netflix house for the foreseeable future. for 71 years this theater has been a prime showplace for the best in low budget American indies and the crème of foreign language cinema. but if it stays a Netflix house what will they fill it with? as I have said before most original Netflix films aren’t exactly Oscar material. so since films of the caliber of Roma, Marriage Story and The Irishman are few and far between again what will they fill this theater with? after all once a film debuts on Netflix who’s going to pay to see it in a theater?

bigjoe59 commented about Pacific 1-2-3 on Nov 21, 2019 at 12:23 pm

Hello from NYC-

as I aske din July is this theater still boarded up and just sitting there?

bigjoe59 commented about Astor Theatre on Nov 21, 2019 at 12:17 pm

Hello-

in reference to da-Bunnyman’s 4/5/18 post. when Ben-Hur opened Dec. 1925 at the nearby George M. Cohan Theater during the sea battle and the chariot race they used a widescreen process called I believe Panascope.

bigjoe59 commented about AMC Lincoln Square 13 on Nov 19, 2019 at 2:26 pm

Hello-

I am apparently one of the very few people who liked Justice League(which i saw at this theater) as released. to which a question i hope someone can answer as best they can. talk about the much asked for Snyder Cut and been much in the mews lately which prompts the question. at the beginning of 2017 when it was announced Snyder would be leaving the film because of his daughter’s tragic death. so it’s my thought that if he didn’t finish shooting the film how can there be a Snyder Cut?

bigjoe59 commented about Paris Theatre on Nov 11, 2019 at 12:55 pm

Hello-

thanks to UsherDNA for their reply. it prompts another question. I only joined Netflix recently but from the critics reviews of the original films that they stream most don’t hack it. so how many films like “Marriage Story” or “Roma” can they possibly have up their sleeve?

bigjoe59 commented about Paris Theatre on Nov 10, 2019 at 2:08 pm

Hello-

its nice that its 99% certain the Paris has a new lease on life but. if I understand the news item correctly the theater will only play Netflix films?

bigjoe59 commented about Paris Theatre on Nov 9, 2019 at 12:09 pm

Hello-

I thing how much Netflix would be willing to spend on 1 film is different from whichever studio. studios have many ways to make $$$ off 1 film but Netflix only has the monthly subscriber fees. I doubt they’d have okayed the $350 budget for Endgame.

bigjoe59 commented about Paris Theatre on Nov 7, 2019 at 4:14 pm

Hello-

David Z.– thanks of the info. i figured Netflix would have a nice nest egg if they did in fact have the bazillion subscribers they’re alleged to have but I didn’t think the nest egg would be as high as $125 billion. which prompts a question- how much would they be willing to spend on a single film?

bigjoe59 commented about Paris Theatre on Nov 6, 2019 at 4:26 pm

Hello-

an additional question. as I understand it Netflix’s sole source of income is its monthly fees from a reported bazillion subscribers. with that being the case I still don’t see how with The Irishman they can bankroll a $175 mil movie?

bigjoe59 commented about Paris Theatre on Nov 6, 2019 at 1:22 pm

Hello-

one question I’ve had for a while is why Netflix doesn’t feel they need to observe the 90 day window like all other studios are doing? why do they think they’re special and don’t have to observe it.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 commented about City Cinemas Cinema 1, 2, and 3 on Nov 5, 2019 at 12:16 pm

Hello-

while I am an avid moviegoer there is something I’m still confused by- what 70MM means. is it the aspect ratio of the film stock to shoot the film or the size of screen showing it? for instance how can the Cinema 1 show a film in the same way the Ziegfeld could?

bigjoe59 commented about Times Square Theatre on Oct 31, 2019 at 4:13 pm

Hello-

is there any chance this theater will be anything
anytime soon?

bigjoe59 commented about Landmark at 57 West on Oct 31, 2019 at 3:33 pm

Hello-

has patronage at this theater picked up? the last time I was there there were more staff than patrons.

bigjoe59 commented about Criterion Theatre on Oct 27, 2019 at 3:33 pm

Hello-

in the case of Star Wars and Reds I’m guessing the souvenir programs might have been sold only at the Loews Astor Plaza. I saw both films again at other 1st run theaters in Manhattan and don’t remember the programs being sold.

also there were films that had exclusive 1st runs at the Ziegfeld after Cabaret that had souvenir programs- The Rose which opened Nov. 1979 and Gandhi which opened Dec. 1982.

the last two souvenir programs I purchased at a theater when I saw the film were The Lion King(June'94) at RCMH and Hercules(June'97)at the New Amsterdam. both were special 2 week engagements were stage shows that played at the theaters noted before the films opened wide. the souvenir program for The Lion King which was beautifully designed is one of the great film souvenir programs ever.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Hollywood on Oct 27, 2019 at 3:15 pm

Hello-

it was nice it was almost out. what I meant to ask was how was the viewing experience of seeing it in original 3-Strip Cinerama on film and not a digital print.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 commented about Cinerama Dome and ArcLight Hollywood on Oct 27, 2019 at 2:16 pm

Hello from NYC-

how was the recent screening of HTWWW in original 3-Strip Cinerama?

bigjoe59 commented about Criterion Theatre on Oct 24, 2019 at 3:39 pm

Hello-

to vindanpar- I compliment you on your Oct. 23 post.

speaking of souvenir programs. I went to see Star Wars 1st screening opening day May25, 1977 at the Loews Astor Plaza. programs were kind of on the way out but I hoped they’d have one anyway. when i entered theater and didn’t see anyone at a table hawking the program i went “ohm well”. as I approached the refreshment stand what did i see but a huge stack of programs on a counter behind the stand.

interestingly four and a half years later at the 1st screening opening day of Reds they had a person at a table hawking the souvenir program.

bigjoe59 commented about Criterion Theatre on Oct 22, 2019 at 1:55 pm

Hello-

to vindanpar- since you missed out on Twilight Time’s A+ blu-ray disc of Nicholas and Alexandra they recently issued Anne of the Thousand Days on blu-ray. in terms of the richness of the colors and the crispness, clarity and sharpness of both the picture image and the multi-channel audio tracks its everything a blu-ray disc of a large scale historical drama should be.

bigjoe59 commented about Paris Theatre on Oct 22, 2019 at 1:02 pm

Hello-

a question- if Netflix does wind up taking a long term lease on the theater will they show other films or just their prestige Oscar Bait films?

bigjoe59 commented about AMC Lincoln Square 13 on Oct 22, 2019 at 12:58 pm

Hello-

I really liked The Last Jedi and simply don’t get the hate for the film. so can someone in an intelligent adult manner describe to me what was soooooooo wrong with the film. I look at this way- if it was sooooo uneven why did it make two truckloads of $$$.