Comments from Billinuk

Showing 8 comments

Billinuk
Billinuk commented about Hartman Theatre on Jan 16, 2013 at 9:42 am

I never saw a film at the Hartman Theatre but I did see a touring production of Half a Sixpence there. For a few years Danny Deeds whoowned the Maramoor resturant ran the theatre subscription series there , Ray Milland in Hostile Witness, Bob Cumming in The Wayward Stork, and Eve La Gallienne’s National Repertory Theatre all played there in the mid-sixites. I never sat in the orchestra only up in the second balcony where there were no seats just wooden benches ( with backs) .

Billinuk
Billinuk commented about Town & Country Cinema on Jan 16, 2013 at 9:36 am

I remember those ‘early bird" 50 cent matinees. I saw a fair number of movies there including Torn Curtain, Penelope, Hombre, Glen Ford in Rage, The Stalking Moon etc. I always liked the theatre but Jlgreenlee ’s comment about the Cinema East is true, that was a classy place – I belive it opened with a roadshow of Lord Jim, but I remember seeing a wide range of films there from Caprice to a sneak preview of Viva Maria! .

Billinuk
Billinuk commented about Bexley Theater on Oct 14, 2012 at 8:38 am

I grew up in EastMoor and moved away in 1967. Prior to that I went to the Bexley fairly often ( as often as a movie obsessed 11 year old can be). The first time I went there was with my parents to see The Mouse That Roared. I remember being disappointed because the ( spoiler alert) the mouse didn’t appear until the very end. Other films I saw there were Jacques Cousteau’s World Without Sun, The Czech film The Shameless Old Lady, The World of Harold Lloyd ( which had its “world premiere” there), The Umbrellas of Cherbourg and on a Sunday night: Jules and Jim. On Sunday and Monday evenings they had the Janus Film series which were basically an ongoing selection of what are now mostly Criterion Collection DVDs . I loved the Bexley, I thought it was in the best sense of the word an “Adult” theatre and when I moved away I was sad at its decline.

Billinuk
Billinuk commented about Esquire Theatre on Aug 21, 2012 at 1:17 pm

I grew up three blocks from the Esquire and from about the age of 6 through to 9 I spent almost every Saturday afternoon there. The admission price was 50 cents ( The Drexel was 35 cents) . I can remember seeing all sorts of horror movies there as well as a double feature of Gigi and Lili. And for some reason or another Rory Calhoun in The Colosses of Rhodes was a major event ( for me) at the Esquire. Whenever they didn’t have a one sheet for the theatre’s next attraction they put in a poster for “Night Train to Munich” after a few months of seeing the poster on and off I remember I begged the woman in the Box office to tell me if they were ever going to show it. I don’t remember her response.

Billinuk
Billinuk commented about Charles Cinema on May 19, 2012 at 8:37 pm

In the late 60’s / early 70’s When the Music Hall showed movies it was the largest screen, followed by the Astor and then I think the Savoy. Thanks to the the closing of those theatres the Charles moved up the ladder. I don’t remember the Cinema 57 screen being that large but if you guys say so, I’m willing to believe it.

Billinuk
Billinuk commented about Charles Cinema on Nov 28, 2010 at 11:00 pm

Really? I have no memory of that at all. yikes.

Billinuk
Billinuk commented about Charles Cinema on Nov 28, 2010 at 7:59 am

I moved to Boston in the fall of 67 and I went to the Charles Cinema a lot before I went down to new York and college in 1972. I remember thinking that the Charles was a pretty classy place, I saw Truffauts The Bride Wore Black there as well as William Friedkin’s film of Pinter’s The Birthday Party and I even saw a Richard Attenborough film called Only When I Larf there. I was saddened when it became a triplex theatre but such is the way of the world.

Billinuk
Billinuk commented about Publix Theatre on Jun 30, 2010 at 1:10 am

I moved to Boston in 1967 and lived there til I went off to college in 1972. Not knowing anything about “the combat zone” or what was or wasn’t a good section of town or a bad one, I thought nothing of going to the Publix or the Center theatres on a regular basis – 50 or 75 cents admission and it was always a decent double feature. After a couple of years of doing this , I came home one night and my parents who knew where I had been were very upset, they had heard that the Publix was arun down filthy movie theatre with a “bad element”. I told them that it was a bit run down but they had double features and the price was right. They then forbade me to go there again – not explainging why. Of course the next time they had a double feature that I wanted to see I went, but now that they had told me it had a bad element, that was all that I could see – the audience was kind of grungy and the seats were broken and the restrooms had an element of danger. I didn’t feel safe. My rose colored glasses were off. `and while the Center was a rather utilitarian theatre, the Publix and the Paramount were clearly once very classy places fallen on hard times.