Comments from blacknoi

blacknoi
blacknoi commented about AMC Rockaway Inner 6/Outer 6 on Dec 17, 2013 at 10:51 am

I was only a staff supervisor when the inners closed in 98, but I remember staff being temporarily ‘borrowed’ from inner to outer or vice versa.

I remember the ‘hood’ movies and kids movies seemed to go to the inners, where what was thought to be a block buster would go to the outers.

Sometimes if a movie was doing well, it’d be transferred to the inners after a few weeks. I even remember walking movie prints (still fully assembled) across the parking lot from outers to inners.

blacknoi commented about AMC Rockaway Inner 6/Outer 6 on Feb 9, 2013 at 7:35 am

In my opinion, polarized lenses are superior for 3D than Anaglyph Red/Blue. They made me get less dizzy than RealD 3D over the course of a 2 hour period. During my stint at the Outers from 1995-2002 (when the closed) we never had any 3D movies of any kind. I don’t remember the inners from 1995-1998 when they closed having any either.

blacknoi commented about AMC Rockaway Inner 6/Outer 6 on Feb 6, 2012 at 6:32 am

When the theater closed, July 28, 2002, I was sad when I had to call a sign-company to remove the “AMC” letters (the rest of the sinage remained until the building was demolished to make way for Best Buy).

Note that when the Outers were built, the AMC letters were not originally present. They were added sometime later as I was told.

blacknoi commented about AMC Rockaway Inner 6/Outer 6 on Feb 6, 2012 at 6:30 am

Inners box-office, 1998.

blacknoi commented about AMC Rockaway Inner 6/Outer 6 on Feb 6, 2012 at 6:30 am

Again, the inners as I shot it in summer 1998. Does anyone remember there being glass ever actually enclosing the theater lobby? I seem to remember that as a kid but I’m not sure if I’m remembering that right.

Since then, we’ve already seen FYE come and go, and there is now a clothing store in this location as of 2012.

blacknoi commented about AMC Rockaway Inner 6/Outer 6 on Feb 6, 2012 at 6:28 am

I remember that we would often not remove the candy from the bags in the display cases. They would melt over time due to the heat of the bulbs.

Outers, July 2002.

blacknoi commented about AMC Rockaway Inner 6/Outer 6 on Feb 6, 2012 at 6:27 am

Here’s a shot from the projection booth. Stadium seating was not yet commonplace.

blacknoi commented about AMC Rockaway Inner 6/Outer 6 on Feb 6, 2012 at 6:26 am

Here’s a great shot of that faux-leather in the Inners. 1998.

blacknoi commented about AMC Rockaway Inner 6/Outer 6 on Feb 6, 2012 at 6:26 am

This is a pic I took of the inners before they closed circa June/July 1998. I loved the 70’s looking faux-leather backs (the seats were a horrible looking but durable fabric).

blacknoi commented about AMC Rockaway Inner 6/Outer 6 on Feb 6, 2012 at 6:25 am

I was glad I was working here when I took these, so I could turn on all the house lights.

This was house 7 (since the outers were considered 7 through 12, and the inners were 1 through 6). This one was at the farthest corner, closest to pearlvision.

blacknoi commented about AMC Rockaway Inner 6/Outer 6 on Feb 6, 2012 at 6:22 am

Those photos look familiar (as in I took them all and someone reposted). Glad cinema treasures has a place to upload them directly finally so at least others can see what they looked like.

It will be 10 years since the outers closed this July 28th, 2012.

And the new Rockaway theaters have gone all digital now for some time, no more film. There was something nice about the film presentation that digital just doesn’t reproduce.

blacknoi
blacknoi commented about AMC Rockaway Inner 6/Outer 6 on Mar 21, 2011 at 7:04 am

@Justin, I know all 6 outer houses were SDDS certified. I want to say that house 12 was THX certified when Saving Private Ryan was released. I remember people specifically coming and tweaking the equipment to be in-spec with the certification.

blacknoi commented about AMC Rockaway Inner 6/Outer 6 on May 3, 2010 at 8:36 am

I don’t know for sure what movie ran the longest but during my time there (1995-2002), but Titanic seemed to be one of the longest running features. I think it was over 6 months easily.

I hardly ever worked at the inners so I really don’t know.

I do remember that Cinema 10 in Ledgewood had the 1st Home Alone movie for an entire year.

One of the guys who I used to work with there, was around during the opening of Jurassic Park in 1993. He told me the lines wrapped around all the way to the Acme, it was so popular.

Also interesting trivia: Matthew Broderick’s Godzilla was thought to be so popular, it was running in all 6 screens of the outers during its opening weekend. It was such a flop however that it went down to 2 or 3 screens by the following Friday.

blacknoi
blacknoi commented about AMC Rockaway Inner 6/Outer 6 on Apr 16, 2010 at 4:40 am

Justin wrote: “BTW, what were the Twilight shows?”

Twilite was between 4-6pm on any given day. Back in 1995, prices were $3 for anyone during twilite. The rest of the prices were $5.75 adult evening. $3.75 student/senior evening. Any ticket before 4pm was $3.50.

Prices in 2002 when the theater closed are seen here: http://tinyurl.com/ah5pg9
$7 adult evening. $5 student/sr / matinee. $4 child.$3.50 twilite.

blacknoi
blacknoi commented about AMC Rockaway Inner 6/Outer 6 on Mar 11, 2009 at 10:30 am

You can actually see the “gold” AMC written in the doors, in this shot. Its from a-far, but its in the gold bar in the center of the door:

Here’s a view of the “arcade” if you can call it that:

And finally, here’s the Box Office Sinage. Oldschool box of letters to put up:

blacknoi commented about Succasunna Cinema 10 on Sep 24, 2008 at 2:35 am

Thats excellent news regarding the classics.

Now I ask, does anyone have any links to Cinema 10 before the last wing was installed? How about before it was turned into a 10plex (back when it only had like 4 screens and the opening used to face towards where now is a McDonalds?

blacknoi commented about AMC Rockaway Inner 6/Outer 6 on Sep 3, 2008 at 4:26 am

@Justin …

I can’t say when they were introduced into the theaters, but during my time at the Inners/Outers (95 through closing in 98 for inners, then 02 in outers) they always had cup holders built into the arm rests.

blacknoi commented about AMC Rockaway Inner 6/Outer 6 on Mar 3, 2008 at 3:13 pm

“Why did AMC fail to renew the lease with the mall before the new AMC opened?”

Its my understanding that Simon property group did not want the Inners there anymore. If you’ll recall, it was a HUGE teen hangout on Fri/Sat nights. It even required a police presence to patrol the Mall entrance by the inners and Sears. This was undesirable to SIMON. In fact many “mom and pop” type stores started to leave when leases were up, immediately following Simon buying the mall in the early/mid 90s. This was by design to give the mall a higher class feel.

I believe that Simon persuaded AMC to leave the space by making the new lease’s price SO expensive, it was cost prohibitive to stay. Combine this with the fact that AMC was trying to get out of the business of the smaller theaters (focusing on free standing Megaplexes), it was the perfect recipe to get rid of the Inners.

FYI: Looking at the prior 3 posts, the Outers never had the DTS soundsystem. And only house 12 (first theater on your right when you walked in) had Dolby Digital. All houses 7-12 had Sony Dynamic Digital Sound (SDDS) and analog. I remember that people from Lucasfilms actually came in and re-calibrated house 12 when Saving Private Ryan came out.

I’m fairly certain the Inners never had any digital sound but someone will have to correct me if I’m wrong. I hardly worked in the inners, as the outers was my primary “home” 1995-2002.

blacknoi commented about AMC Rockaway Inner 6/Outer 6 on Feb 5, 2008 at 2:36 am

As a manager for the Outer theaters (and basically running the place prior to it’s closing on July 28th, 2002, I can say that at least in the late 90’s and early 00’s, the OUTERS definitely did more business.

All the “blockbuster” movies would go to the outers where smaller films and many kid films would get sent to the inner theaters.

blacknoi commented about Succasunna Cinema 10 on Dec 24, 2007 at 11:19 am

>> what happened to the classics program at this theater? <<

I saw Scarface over the summer during one of the “classics” showings… I think its a summer-only thing.

blacknoi
blacknoi commented about AMC Rockaway Inner 6/Outer 6 on Jul 18, 2007 at 5:07 am

If anyone has any pictures of the Outer AMC Theaters BEFORE their 1994 renovation, I’d love to see them.

I never actually set foot in the Outers prior to the overhaul and would love to see what it looked like.

blacknoi commented about Succasunna Cinema 10 on Jul 17, 2007 at 10:18 am

I actually remember both renovations…. barely remember when the opening was on the side of the building and it was a 4-plex.

Then in the early 1990’s with the expansion (the addition of the 2 upstairs theaters) and now with the “mirror image” wing on the other side.

odd, I’ve been to Cinema 10 many times since the newest renovation and never saw a movie in thew new wing.

blacknoi commented about Ledgewood Drive-In on Jul 17, 2007 at 10:07 am

I should mention that the Sandwitches Unlimited and Old Antiques Store are both torn down now, as a 24 Hour Walgreens pharmacy is being built….

Smiles 2, the strip joint is still there however.

blacknoi commented about Ledgewood Drive-In on Jul 17, 2007 at 10:06 am

I grew up in the 80’s in Landing, and was driven by the Drive In all the time as we went around the Ledgewood circle.

I would drive my bike often w/buddies around the ruines of the then closed drive-in. Very cool stuff.

I wish it was still there.

blacknoi
blacknoi commented about AMC Rockaway Inner 6/Outer 6 on Jul 17, 2007 at 9:28 am

Pictures of the Outers, from 7/12/02